• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
68cjw8z.jpg

Done quickly, needs polishing :)

Man, this only leaves:

Wario
Metaknight
Snake
Samus

of known characters so far. I have a feeling Samus is going to be the last of these, too. She's the most mysterious at the moment.

He's updating this section MUCH more quickly than I thought he would. I wonder if there's going to be like 40+ characters in Brawl, and we are going to have around 30 updates of megatons. That would be awesome :) .

Nintaiyo said:
I'm really looking forward to seeing the revamped looks for the likes of Capt. Falcon, Peach, Yoshi, Ganondorf and Zelda (TP look maybe?), DK, etc.

Hopefully they use Capt. Falcon from F-zero GX and DK from DK:JB :)

Nintaiyo

FunkyMunkey said:
Man, this only leaves:

Wario
Metaknight
Snake
Samus

of known characters so far. I have a feeling Samus is going to be the last of these, too. She's the most mysterious at the moment.

He's updating this section MUCH more quickly than I thought he would. I wonder if there's going to be like 40+ characters in Brawl, and we are going to have around 30 updates of megatons. That would be awesome :) .

Yeah, I thought about that too, but he'll probably save the character revealings for E3 (we'll still get the profiles though). Even if there are 40+ characters, we probably won't get all of the profiles since a good number of those will be secret characters that you have to unlock.

My goodness this game is going to be absolutely incredible, especially if it has the same amount or more content than Melee did. I can't even fathom how awesome it will be. The fanservice should be there in full force... it's been 6 years since Melee, Nintendo's had countless achievements since then.

This is like the only game I want on the Wii. ;_;

The character models from Melee to Brawl show distinct improvement (particularly in Link) but what's really noticeable is the background quality. Melee had meh backgrounds, whereas Brawl's are absolutely beautiful.

eg:

ssbboards1.jpg

vs

basic03_070605d-l.jpg

Branduil

Well, what made Melee impressive, at the time, was the framerate and animations. That, and the character models did look good given that we were just getting out of the N64 era.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
FunkyMunkey said:
Man, this only leaves:

Wario
Metaknight
Snake
Samus

There were 26 characters in melee with 6 clone characters. My prediction is there will be 30 characters (maybe 31-32) in Brawl. Some of the clones from Melee get cut and new clones are created. Some of the characters introduced in Melee get cut. 18 returning characters, 12 new characters. We'll probably get 3-4 real character megatons.

And Sakurai won't reveal all of the characters on the site. :)

Edit: Changed some of my numbers. I forgot to add Falco.

FunkyMunkey said:
Man, this only leaves:

Wario
Metaknight
Snake
Samus

I think we'll see Metaknight next, then Wario, then Samus (with Zero Suit Samus) and then Snake. And then it should be E3 and we find out new characters (but not all) there.

He'll likely reveal a new item next, and also very soon a new stage. Probably one of those seen in the trailers - maybe the Halberd? We've been seeing that one a fair bit lately.

Nintaiyo

Dark Ninja said:
Hopefully they use Capt. Falcon from F-zero GX and DK from DK:JB :)

Yeah, Falcon's model from GX definitely made him look buffer and cooler.
250px-Captain_Falcon.jpg

It'd be awesome if they could do the fur shading on DK like in Jungle Beat, too.
dk_beat.jpg

I can't wait for Peach either... ;)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Alkaliine said:
The character models from Melee to Brawl show distinct improvement (particularly in Link) but what's really noticeable is the background quality. Melee had meh backgrounds, whereas Brawl's are absolutely beautiful.

eg:

ssbboards1.jpg

vs

basic03_070605d-l.jpg
Man... every time I see Brawl's Battlefield, I fall more in love with the stage. I can't WAIT to play on it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dr.Hadji said:
Hopefully they nerf that beast Fox this time around. I truely have no idea what they were thinking last go around.
oh come on, he only has the potential to be frame perfect! :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
JonathanEx said:
People assume that Japan time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... Japan-timey-wimey... stuff.
Doctor Who reference I see.

I'm guessing that we'll see an update on the Island's Island stage soon.

Thomper

JonathanEx said:
People assume that Japan time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... Japan-timey-wimey... stuff.
And don't blink.

Meh, my only fear, when looking at Fox´ new design is what Krystal will look like (she´s going to be in the game, you all know!). In SFA she looked kinda sexy, but the Namco design was terrible. I want SFA-Krystal :-/

Proven

Three pages and too many quotes to save...

Ok first, about Pikachu being an all-round character, technically he was one in Melee also. Sure he can run fast but really he was only fast because he was very easy to play fast. Characters like Fox are fast but when played by extremely good players pretty much double in speed. That's the character difference.

Fox's Assault design looks like crap at two points for me, the shiny red red shoes and the armor like vest with the shoulder pads. It makes sense since in the game he's supposed to get mixed up in ground combat, so he gets an armor like suit. They changed his vest for Brawl and made his boots look like leather, and as we all agree, he looks much better.

Character roster-wise, I expect at least the 14 that you start out with in Melee to make it, meaning Mario, Pikachu, Link, Zelda/Sheik, Captain Falcon, Samus, Ness, Kirby, Ice Climbers, Yoshi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong and Fox.

Then you have to add in the characters that will probably be secret characters again. There's already Luigi and Jigglypuff, but I'm going to add in a few others for speculation: Marth, Falco (if for some reason Falco gets cut, they're definitely adding Krystal), a Pokemon (not necessarily Mewtwo or Pichu, although I'd like to see Mewtwo again with a buff), Gannondorf (hey, he'll probably get a new moveset!), and I hope to god to have Game&Watch again. He was an awesome surprise joke character.

Now, I'm thinking Sakurai wants to do the same thing he did in Melee and increase the roster for each world a little. Kirby and Samus already get their world's update with Metaknight and Zero-Suit Samus. Yoshi still can't really have an update. Mario might gain another character besides Wario (especially since Wario even has his own emblem, like Yoshi), although I'm hesitant to guess (if it's going to be a clone, it would be cool to have Shadow Mario complete with the paintbrush). No one else from Ness' world is as iconic as Ness himself still, blame lack of Mother ports in the US. Donkey Kong may finally have Diddy Kong in there, Fox will more than likely have Krystal, G&W has to be secret again, Link/Zelda/Gannondorf is fine enough in my opinion, and Ice Climbers don't have anything else. I wonder if Fire Emblem will receive anymore characters...

Counting this all up that's about 20-25 characters from existing worlds that are more than likely to make it. Melee had 11 secret characters, so there's probably going to be at least 10 again, but then again, I just named about 6 characters being secret characters. And then there are the 3rd party wild cards. At this point any other speculation would pretty much go groundless.

But we could also expect at least 30 characters right? I just hope they do like Melee and the character select screen changes as characters are unlocked. It keeps you guessing on who will be unlocked next.

And I hope they bring back the unlocking characters through number of multi-player matches. Compared to 6 years ago, I'm in a much better position to take advantage of the that.

Then again, I'd prefer stages to be like this. Those were always harder to unlock.

This should give us something to discuss until tomorrow.

You should really forget about Sheik.
I would be personally disappointed if they dont choose Twilight Princess-Zelda. And this Zelda has no Sheik-costume.

Also, you count Zero Suit Samus as an update of the Metroid-franchise within SSB?
I really hope they´ll add Ridley, perhaps also Dark Samus and a random space pirate (they look so cool).

Then, cut out Mr.GaW. Yeah, he was an awsome surprise character, so cut him out and insert another one...like Tingle :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
GaimeGuy said:
A Rainbow Road stage?

YES
Ae you forgetting the already revealed Mario Kart stage?

I wonder what will happen to the FZero stages since the MK one seems similar although most likely slower.

NotWii

Banned
Zerodoppler said:
We need more music clips. A Mario Kart medley would be sweet.
Wow, is this from those ancient Nintendo music CDs they used to release?
I haven't heard it before, but I've heard other redone tracks from Metroid, Zelda, StarFox and F-Zero.

I should track them down :eek:

NotWii

Banned
BGBW said:
Ae you forgetting the already revealed Mario Kart stage?

I wonder what will happen to the FZero stages since the MK one seems similar although most likely slower.
I wonder too, I hope all previous stages return...

Dr.Hadji

I just signed up for a smash brawl blog, and will be updating it (hopefully) every day.

I'm going to try to keep relevant to the Dojo updates. So every morning, if you have any questions, or want anything researched or explained just let me know.

http://smashbrawl.com/

xTOXNx

Banned
Peach better be in there, that the only way I can release my inner-gay/ :D

Not to mention I picked her up on friday and went to my first tourney and did extremly well with her. Shes now my Second Main.

[Nintex]

Dr.Hadji said:
I just signed up for a smash brawl blog, and will be updating it (hopefully) every day.

I'm going to try to keep relevant to the Dojo updates. So every morning, if you have any questions, or want anything researched or explained just let me know.

http://smashbrawl.com/
Seems like go nintendo but then only for Smash bros. I'd rather keep an eye on Sakurai's blog, the most awesome blog the internet has ever known.

rawk

I would much rather see some of the new Nintendo games represented (Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Big Brain Academy, etc) than get even more Mario or Zelda characters. I'd also like to see a Space Pirate for Metroid, but I doubt that will happen.

What's this "A button only" mode in SSBM everyone is talking about? I probably played that game 200 hours and didn't know that shit existed, how do I access it?

Mii

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
What's this "A button only" mode in SSBM everyone is talking about? I probably played that game 200 hours and didn't know that shit existed, how do I access it?

One of the special melees alongside tiny melee and giant melee and etc.

Dr.Hadji

AdmiralViscen said:

It's called single button melee. They say it's good for beginners. But the mode is good for little more than an experiment for ones smash education. It's in special melee. You know... the same place with lightening, giant, tiny, and fixed camera melee modes (special melee).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom