• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

Arsenic

Doel said:
I haven't read anyone say they are disappointed in how the game plays. Everyone that's bitching has to do with the server overload, which should be cleared up in a few days with Sony working on it and everyone not playing the game at once.

Like I've already said, if you're up late or play early in the morning or during the day, the game works flawlessly.
I have a lot of issues with the way the game plays, but i barely had enough time with it to sort that all out.

Google

Doel said:
I haven't read anyone say they are disappointed in how the game plays. Everyone that's bitching has to do with the server overload, which should be cleared up in a few days with Sony working on it and everyone not playing the game at once.

Like I've already said, if you're up late or play early in the morning or during the day, the game works flawlessly.

Sure - I'll be honest, I'll probably be playing online pretty seldom for a few weeks while I learn the game...so yeah - I'll see you all online.

Doel

MThanded said:
Where the hell are the reviews for this game?
Game was just sent out to them yesterday and the day before. They didn't want to give it out before the 2.5 firmware update (so they could properly test out the headset's functionality), and presumably before the 1.10 patch for SOCOM Confrontation was done.

GodofWine

MThanded said:
Where the hell are the reviews for this game?

The reviewers can't get into a game :lol I kid I kid....I think.

Hopefully the reviewers are realizing that they would be better serving th public by waiting a week for serve issues to be ironed out and playing and reviewing then.

Tom Penny

So many complaints. I guess I'll pass on this one for now until they fix some of the issues. With LBP, Dead Space and R2 i'll have my hands full anyways.

Firewire

Banned
I'm willing to give /Six time to fix this.

Just look at the way Warhawk started out being a complete mess and now its a favorite for allot of gamers.

GQman2121

Banned
I didn't have any problems at all connecting to games. Outside of having to flip through the ridiculous amounts of menus it takes to actually find a game, once I did so, the match started up in about 20 seconds.

My problem is the game it's self.

Having to select your quick weapons before every-single-round was an issue in the beta that I was hoping was temporary. It's not.

If you want your handgun or nades to be a button press away you first have to: Stop. Bring up the weapon select wheel. Hold the direction of the weapon that you would like to pick - which then equips that weapon in-game - then release the weapon select wheel button.

You then have to press the quick swap button again to get back to your original weapon.

That takes all of about ten seconds to complete, but the fact that you have to do it before every-single-round is mind numbing.

This system wouldn't really bother me except for the fact that there was nothing wrong with what was in place in the original game.

I feel like I could go on and on, but honestly, right now this game just isn't even worth it.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
cod4 on ps3 (europe) was nearly unplayable online for the first week...
same with warhawk... etc.

ill wait until it works fine and then dive into it -

Doel said:
HA, ya right. You clearly forgot this.

Every online game has them. People just forget about it.

And I STILL run into issues with not being able to hear my friends or them not hearing me.

Clearly thats not the case, i cant remeber any issues with cod 4 or halo 3 on launch on 360. When you use sweeping terms like every you need to be sure you know what the word means.:lol

TwIsTeD

wtf the servers come back and now i cant connect to any games......this is the reason why i dont play online with my ps3 :lol

PuMa

supermackem said:
Clearly thats not the case, i cant remeber any issues with cod 4 or halo 3 on launch on 360. When you use sweeping terms like every you need to be sure you know what the word means.:lol

COD4 has no issues?? Really? I seem to remember it crashing Xbox Live for nearly a whole weekend. I couldn't play a single game for days.

Doel

Something no one has mentioned yet is how perfect the voice chat is in the game. Honestly, it's the clearest voice chat I've experience in any console game thus far. It works like its supposed to, and it seems like everyone is wearing a mic and using it.

Usually when a new online game comes out my biggest complaint is the poor voice chat/not being able to hear my friends/etc. So I was pleasantly surprised with my experience so far.

dralla

The SII maps have always been great and after playing the new maps you'll appreciate them even more. I know it's unlikely but I'd love it if Zipper made the DLC maps.

Firewire

Banned
Doel said:
Something no one has mentioned yet is how perfect the voice chat is in the game. Honestly, it's the clearest voice chat I've experience in any console game thus far. It works like its supposed to, and it seems like everyone is wearing a mic and using it.

Usually when a new online game comes out my biggest complaint is the poor voice chat/not being able to hear my friends/etc. So I was pleasantly surprised with my experience so far.

Sorry, but Resistance holds the award for best voice chat overall. Whats even more impressive is the fact that it was a launch day game.

Cartman86

Banned
supermackem said:

It all comes down to the amount of people complaining. I had problems with CODIV and GTAIV. A lot of people did as well with CODIV. Yet they didn't with GTA. People are having problems with Socom right now. I havn't had a problem logging in or downloading patches at all. It's random but if it happens enough I would consider it an issue and you'll see someone at the company mention they are fixing things. Sony said they are trying to fix, and Infinity Ward said they were trying to fix COD4 when it had its problems.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Xater said:
Can it be played without using the account that purchased it? I need to know because I am from Europe.

it's like warhawk, multiple accounts on the same system. Purchaser's account password must be saved.

Don't know if there's any cross region issues though, can't speak from experience on that.

Greg

Ok, I've had 3 days with it now, so time for some updated impressions. I have a few minor problems with the gameplay, but other than that the game itself is bringing back so many memories... in a day or so it will already pass up the amount of time I spent with Warhawk and GTA4.

I'm assuming the beta was just a stress test and the complaints about gameplay issues (and fixes for them) were put off until public release, but I'm going to mention them anyways. Some of my complaints are things I'm sure will be addressed (scopes, secondary weps), while others are just personal dislikes (stances).

Negatives:
Cycling through stances isn't as smooth as I remember it in S2. I remember being able to strafe left and right popping in and out of stances - if I want to dive down for my life, I should be able to do so rather quickly.

Secondary weapons are a pain in the ass - many times they reset from round to round and not being able to do it on the run is a bother as well. The fact that grenades don't stack if you have them in both slots is an annoyance.

It has always been a 'problem' with the series, and it's usually tied to 3rd person games, but it can be frustrating to have your cross-hairs on a target while you are up against a ledge/rail/box/etc. and have the bullets hit the object in front of you. I'm used to it now because I've been playing the series for so long, but there are some questionable heights of certain objects that cause this more often than it should.

Zooming in with certain scopes causes you to switch stances.

Bringing up the stat page during a match shouldn't stop movement - bring back the transparent stats sheet that goes over the screen.

Positives:
The mic quality is fucking amazing - besides the guy that was destroying a bag of chips over the mic, EVERYONE has been crystal clear.

Smoothest SOCOM experience so far once you are actually in the game. The slight technical issues (minor 'skips') while playing (which I assume, for the most part, will be straightened out over time) have never ruined a firefight for me. In the older games the lag interfered with not only what you saw, but how your guns fired / how the bullets reacted - not so here. I haven't seen someone skipping around the map, and what I saw seemed to register as so.

New maps are looking pretty damn good - a few seemed rather large even for 16p, but people seemed to naturally migrate to the close-quarters areas and I've already had some great moments. Too early to consider a map as a new favorite, but there is definitely potential which is something I didn't expect coming from the new devs.

Still trying to adapt to the 'look' of Crossroads (it was my favorite level, so of course any addition/tweak stands out), but they nailed Desert Glory and Frostfire perfectly if you are were a fan of those maps.

Hit detection / gunplay is some of the best I've ever experienced. I've had absolutely no cheap moments, headshots are clearly awarded as headshots, and with all the points on the body available to be shot (and varying degree of damage for each) you can still get yourself out of a shitty situation despite the fact that a few bullets will take you out.

From what little ive played, I really like this game and the headset. Im a total socom noob, baring the shitty experiences i had with socom 3. A little rough in the beginning but i was getting headshots on a regular basis.

oneHeero

Firewire said:
Sorry, but Resistance holds the award for best voice chat overall. Whats even more impressive is the fact that it was a launch day game.
I'll give it to Resistance as well, altghough when some FW came out, it fucked up alot of BT headsets. When in parties and in squads, a screeching noise always fucken happened and that shit was horrible, I couldnt stand it.

But yes Resistance has the best setup ever. Squads or PTT is pimp.

dork

Banned
and i think my ps3 just broke

i was running the update..now it says "the har disks' data base will be rebuilt"

what..the fuck

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Tadale said:
So, do you have to physically enable HQ mode?
You have to pair the headset via a usb cable *make sure to delete it if you paired it in discovery mode* and it should auto-sync with it and HQ mode is auto turned on. To turn it off you hit triangle on like manage bluetooth devices and it should be an option for HQ

J-Rzez

And now they're doing temporary unscheduled maintenance to the PSN. I want to get into some more games, especially after late last night, it was running nice. And wow am I rusty at this game. I blame all the simple twitch shooters.

Get a Party system in there
More sniper rifles/guns in general
Beef up the pistols a bit, and the snipers a tiny-bit damage wise
And get rid of that annoying periodic 1 second lag/skip..

And I'll be happy to play this nonstop.

spwolf

J-Rzez said:
And now they're doing temporary unscheduled maintenance to the PSN. I want to get into some more games, especially after late last night, it was running nice. And wow am I rusty at this game. I blame all the simple twitch shooters.

Get a Party system in there
More sniper rifles/guns in general
Beef up the pistols a bit, and the snipers a tiny-bit damage wise
And get rid of that annoying periodic 1 second lag/skip..

And I'll be happy to play this nonstop.

yeah, maintainance started as soon my psn version installed :)

f3niks

Okay. So after my mini rant last night I managed to get a few games in. I didn't get to fully enjoy them simply because my mic was charging. Overall, it really does have the feel of old school Socom. The respawn games were kinda meh, but that was because of spawn campers. /Six did a great job in updating ole' Frosty. There were a few issues with lag and invisible people, but nothing that can't be fixed with a patch and some server work.

centracore

Sony and the fucking idiots over at Slant Six need to get their shit together... for the last half hour this is all I've seen:

NETWORK INITIALIZING... NETWORK INITIALIZATION FAILED

Don't get me wrong, I love SOCOM and I've enjoyed this game for the couple of rounds I've actually been able to play. It just bugs me to no end that this happens EVERY TIME Sony launches an online game - you think they would've figured that out by now.

Gbeav

Banned
Picked up the bundle and tried to sell back the game, eb would give me $13 so I kept it. Walmart was next door and I was tempted but my morals kicked in.

spwolf

ehm, i just counted like 13,000 people in the lobbies... no wonder they have such issues... I think Warhawk had like 4000-5000 playing at the same time when they launched and had all the problems...

Doel

centracore said:
Sony and the fucking idiots over at Slant Six need to get their shit together... for the last half hour this is all I've seen:

Don't get me wrong, I love SOCOM and I've enjoyed this game for the couple of rounds I've actually been able to play. It just bugs me to no end that this happens EVERY TIME Sony launches an online game - you think they would've figured that out by now.
It's not Slant Six's fault. It's server overload.

Clearly Sony did not put the money and importance behind it that they should have. Even after only showing the game for 5sec during their E3 '08 Press Conference, as much as they ignored the game its still selling like crazy and people are trying to play it.

Doel

DoctorWho said:
If it feels like Socom 1, I'll buy it!!
It does feel like SOCOM 1. That was the whole point of it. 'Confrontation', getting back to the roots of SOCOM and those intimate close-quarters battles that made it so great.

Doel said:
It does feel like SOCOM 1. That was the whole point of it. 'Confrontation', getting back to the roots of SOCOM and those intimate close-quarters battles that made it so great.

Thanks. When they work the bugs out I'll definitely be picking this up.

Doel

DoctorWho said:
Thanks. When they work the bugs out I'll definitely be picking this up.
Just make sure you change your camera to "Classic".

That goes for everyone else as well. IMO, the OTS view is ****ing horrendous.

Top Bottom