• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

GQman2121

Banned
There are a ton of bugs and issues that should have been ironed out before this game went to the factory, but now that I've been able to play more than a few rounds or two without the game locking up, I'll admit, it is a decent shooter when it works.

Besides the server side issues like the 1-2 second pauses, there are somethings that they need to address asap because they do essentially break the game.

Have you guys seen players swimming on Frost Fire? That's one of the funnier glitches when you see it live for the first time.

dralla

yea, people want Halo gameplay in all their shooters it seems, socom has become a relic of sorts. Even if the game ran perfectly smooth I'd still expect low scores because of this.

spwolf

dralla said:
yea, people want Halo gameplay in all their shooters it seems, socom has become a relic of sorts. Even if the game ran perfectly smooth I'd still expect low scores because of this.

seriously, cant an Seal throw granade while holding an rifle, wtf, what kind of military is that? :lol

snacknuts

we all knew her
I finally got my first taste of the game yesterday afternoon and loved it. It actually felt like SOCOM. Once the server issues get worked out I imagine I'll spend too much time playing this.

dork

Banned
wait

is there really no nightvision in this game? or am i missing it. Because one of these levels is so dark

GQman2121

Banned
Left on the d-pad.

You can't run with it on and you must use the OTS camera while using it........It's a real pain in the ass.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
dork said:
wait

is there really no nightvision in this game? or am i missing it. Because one of these levels is so dark

hit right on the dpad... maybe you can disable it when creating games? I don't know.

dork

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
they said the game looks amazing but the game play isnt up there. that seems like the exact opposite of the consensus @___@

yeah i agree.

Yay nightvision. Im not to bad at the game now. I dont know much about the game modes, but I'm having fun. I prefer the 8v8 games instead of 16v16 because of the wait time if you die

nightvision only work on certain levels? cuz it isnt turning on for me

spwolf

GQman2121 said:
Seth needs to just shut his fucking mouth. His senior producing days are long gone with the launch of this game.

lol, thats actually quite nice and informative post about what are they doing to deal with situation, and they are doing it quickly.

ecnal

Xater said:
What do I have to do to get better equipment? I want a silencer for my M4 :(

it's actually a shitty design or bug; in the attachment sections you can scroll left and right, but there's no heading or information to tell you that this is possible :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Isn't it good the game has a lot of log-ins? Should be good sales for them then! Did they anticipate it bombing?

J-Rzez

Xater said:
What do I have to do to get better equipment? I want a silencer for my M4 :(

At the accessories screen, hit left or right to move to different "points" on the gun. You'll see like white globes indicating where you can install accessories.

spwolf

Y2Kev said:
Isn't it good the game has a lot of log-ins? Should be good sales for them then! Did they anticipate it bombing?

nah, it seems that there is an bug in server side software and the servers dont scale up, meaning they can add new servers, but system still crashes... but you have to realize that 25,000 users at the same time is quite a lot - warhawk never had more than 6,000-7,000 at the same time, and it sold >600,000 copies...

GQman2121

Banned
dork said:
does anyone have any real information on the ranking system?

Yeah, it doesn't work........

I'm sure it's on the list of things that Seth and friends are thinking about working somewhere down the line.

dork

Banned
GQman2121 said:
Yeah, it doesn't work........

I'm sure it's on the list of things that Seth and friends are thinking about working somewhere down the line.

so its just random?

el Diablo

Banned
GQman2121 said:
Left on the d-pad.

You can't run with it on and you must use the OTS camera while using it........It's a real pain in the ass.

Don't mind that it cuts out while running but i agree being forced to use the closeup OTS w/ NV is a pain. Played extensively on night levels last night for the first time and got a headache from that view heh.

EDIT: Just read the update and found this to be pretty funny

We've been working on and testing this since the game launched and we should have a final version ready for release in the next week or so.

So soft launch on Oct 14 and real launch ~Oct 28, we all get to participate in the beta!

Xater

ecnal said:
it's actually a shitty design or bug; in the attachment sections you can scroll left and right, but there's no heading or information to tell you that this is possible :lol

Wait what? Ok that is stupid. :lol

dork

Banned
spwolf said:
they turned off tracking and ranking to ease the loads on the servers, until they can fix the server balancing issues...

well then. Im going to browse through the strat guide at work see if it talks about the system at all.

Im doing alot better in the game than i expected. This is the type of game I have been waiting for. I love shooters, but I get tired of games like cod where you just run around like an idiot. If i wanted to do that I would play UT3. Having some teamwork and strategy is just awesome. I wish there was a better way to zoom though

DaFish

HondaF1Fanatic said:
My stupid effin' copy won't install......WTF!!!!!

EDIT: HELP ME GAF!!!!

How long did you let the little animated circle spin? It took about 7 - 10 minuets for me before it started.

I'd say let it do it's thing for a bit... should do the trick.

joePM

OPM SHILL
dork said:

WTF?

there's no time limit on your matches and no ability to simply drop out if you're frustrated or tired of losing

I say again, WTF? Did he never look in the bottom left of his screen? Has this guy never learned about the Dual Shock's innovative new Start button, which opens a menu with such revolutionary features as "Quit Game"?

a bigger emphasis on team play

W. T. F.?!

JB1981

spwolf said:
nah, it seems that there is an bug in server side software and the servers dont scale up, meaning they can add new servers, but system still crashes... but you have to realize that 25,000 users at the same time is quite a lot - warhawk never had more than 6,000-7,000 at the same time, and it sold >600,000 copies...
There's been a 'bug' for 2 months now
It's called The Game Wasn't Ready to Ship bug.

M_A_C

HondaF1Fanatic said:
My stupid effin' copy won't install......WTF!!!!!

EDIT: HELP ME GAF!!!!

Took me a minute to figure out that it's the icon, below the game icon, in the XMB that installs the game.

JB1981 said:
There's been a 'bug' for 2 months now
It's called The Game Wasn't Ready to Ship bug.
Seriously. Anyone in the beta and not full of Sony shit could tell that this game was going to be a disaster for at least the first month.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
The review was loaded with ridiculous and stupid.

yet simply pointing out the big bugs and omissions (some of which printed on the box) would have sufficed for the very same score.

HondaF1Fanatic

Neo Member
DaFish said:
How long did you let the little animated circle spin? It took about 7 - 10 minuets for me before it started.

I'd say let it do it's thing for a bit... should do the trick.

I fixed it.......by going and exchanging it. My copy must've been corrupted because this one installed in about 10 minutes and it's working fine.

DaFish

HondaF1Fanatic said:
I fixed it.......by going and exchanging it. My copy must've been corrupted because this one installed in about 10 minutes and it's working fine.

hmm... sucks you had to exchange it. Glad you got it working though. now all you have to do is wait another hour for the 1.10 update and your set :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That GameDaily review is pretty funny, lol. Glad Joe will rereview socom once it works.

DrPirate

Banned
miyamotofreak said:
The best review of SOCOM Confrontation,
READ IT

So basically, it's like trying to review a pineapple by biting into it like an apple.

The game is good, but getting at the gameplay is glitch filled, piece of shit.

This is how I would describe it too, I'm not touching this game until the patch is out. Also, I'm glad they're willing to re-review it after the patch comes out.

dralla

yea, 1up's (Joe's) review is spot on. really a shame too.

"The good news is this: When Confrontation's working like it's supposed to, it's fantastic. It's already going toe-to-toe against SOCOM II for bragging rights as the pinnacle of the series in my personal ranking, and that's saying a damn lot. The game capitalizes on the best features of the SOCOM series, delivering long, deliberately paced, exceptionally tense matches where one wrong move can put you on the sidelines for lengthy commiseration sessions with your fellow deceased."

I can't play the game until they fix the scopes, it's just way too frustrating.

J-Rzez

dork said:

However, manual weapon switching sometimes leads to an early death in the heat of combat. For instance, if you have a rifle and need to throw a grenade, it's slightly more complex than just tossing it. This small delay takes just enough time to turn the tide in a battle, leaving you vulnerable to enemy attack. Furthermore, even something as simple as changing gun views takes a little longer than expected. This is one of those games in which realism should've taken a backseat to efficiency.

This is why CoD4 hacks shouldn't be reviewing the game. While he's correct on all the game breaking bugs at the moment, this is a person that shouldn't be reviewing a game they have no clue how to play. The auto-grenade toss is BS and should never be in this game. Being able to precisely control angle and length of toss is what a game like this needs, and uses superbly. Changing gun views? Does he mean scoping? If so, that's realistic.

The game is not Call of Duty, and should not be gimped for it being it's own identity. Nor should it be punished because he doesn't like realism. The game has a rabid following for a reason. What a fucking scrub of a reviewer they have there.

Surprisingly, the 1up review is the more logical. Saying they're going to re-review it once it's patched up.

I can't play the game until they fix the scopes, it's just way too frustrating.

As a sniper, this is something I HATE about the game. How can't you aim down on a near 45degree angle 10' down? I couldn't figure out what was wrong, there were no "yellow diamonds", but I was shooting the damn wall right in front of me. Nonsense. They need to fix that and FAST. They need to fix that, throw in a bunch more weapons for balance purposes, and get a party system in there. I'm sure their patch will fix some freeze ups and random game bootings, but they really need to get that other stuff fixed asap too. Before it's too late and the game gets written off.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Kingsora said:
Why the hell do you even need a match making system? Just go into a server and look at the description of the room.

Tournaments, clan ladders?? Everyone uses Gamebattles.com or Consolegaming.eu for those things. So I don't really see the problem because the clan support is one of the best ever.

Friend invites, party's? Just use the in-game XMB and send a message to tell in which room you are ^^ Only takes 5 seconds.

Trophies? Well they're coming and I am pretty sure it's not that important ^^

So actually if you think about it. Do you really need those features?

You are completely out of your mind. This online system is shitty, not even arguable.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
dork said:
I havent had a problem finding a game, but if i want to play with a friend it shouldnt be a circus.

i tried to get into a game with my friend today for maybe 20 minutes. when we finally got in a room together we waited in the lobby for a few more minutes until the round was over. then his game froze for like the 5 time today.

its going to be even more fun when the rest of my friends get the game, ughh.

Top Bottom