• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

aparisi2274

i have a question for you guys who have been playing for a while and been using the official PS3 bluetooth headset.

I paired to my PS3 using the cable, so I can get the enhanced features, which worked out fine. When I am wearing the headset and I press the vol buttons, I can see the little graphic in the upper corner of my tv showing the headset icon and the battery life and whatnot. What I cant figure out is how come when I press the mic mute button nothing happens? Do I need to be in the game for it to work? Or does that only work when you are usisng the headset in the cradle as a central mic??

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Sallokin

Gah, I bought this the day it came out and have to date only completed one entire unranked match. Every other time I've played my PS3 freezes. I can't wait for this to get the kinks worked out because I really enjoy what I've played so far.

VaLiancY

Question.

Do you people still hate this?

rpg7v.jpg

And is my faithful RPG still good?

Thank you.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Doel said:
Only 2 people in here right now. Get some more people in here! It's an 8v8.

Well, I have been sick for over a week now. If it wasn't for feeling like crap I would have been online just about every night. Hopefully I feel better soon.

tenchir

Tried playing for a couple of games in the room, but my controller was running out of power during round 2 so I couldn't aim at all. Leaving it to charge right now for tomorrow.

joshschw

Can anyone help me.

I go onto a server, any server, go into a room, it says "game is in progress, wanna join lobby, etc..?"

Select Yes. get into Lobby, press Start to ready myself. and it boots me, every. single. time. right away. "Disconnected From Server."

tenchir

joshschw said:
Can anyone help me.

I go onto a server, any server, go into a room, it says "game is in progress, wanna join lobby, etc..?"

Select Yes. get into Lobby, press Start to ready myself. and it boots me, every. single. time. right away. "Disconnected From Server."

Try joining a different channel. Happens to me too, I usually just pick a lower pop channel and was able to play.

J-Rzez

If there were any game I wish would get fixed, it's this one. After playing in some heated matches earlier, this is THEE competitive shooter I was looking for this gen.

- Fix bugs/servers
- Party system
- Gimme my SR-25/XM110 :D

It so has that S2 feel. And, surprisingly, S6 did a great job with the larger scale maps. They're my favorite maps.

MutFox

Banned
I just played this game for 2 hours straight...
It was pretty awesome. :p

I usually play on "Canada West"

Though if Gaffers want to meet on a specific server...
I say we should meet on a "US Central" server, as that's fair.

Stuff like this should be in the OP in the online section. :/

Billen

Banned
So I got this lying in the postal "office" (we don't really have those) here in Sweden. Any European gaffers playing this game?

joshschw

tenchir said:
Try joining a different channel. Happens to me too, I usually just pick a lower pop channel and was able to play.

I must have tried 12 different channels. some only with ~100 users too.

f3niks

pistolpete2940 said:
Hmm, I just realized it wasn't . . . after reading your post :lol. How does it work exactly?

It's a remote set up. You set your claymores and then there should be a control device that shows up as your scroll through your weapons.

Jim

I'm impressed. After finally giving LBP a break, I had some very smooth games going on last night and everything worked nicely. Not much pauses or performance issues overall, and I was getting that "Socom 2" feeling from it again.

Can't wait for them to get trophies and tweaks and stuff in there, so it feels more complete.

Also, is there any way to silence any of the assault rifles (M4A1) like in S2? I'm too lazy to research it atm. I didn't see it as an accessory.

GQman2121

Banned
Yeah, that's something a LOT of people are having trouble figuring out.

You actually have to press right when your in the attachment screen to pick out load outs (front grip, scope, GL, and suppressor). I think it starts on the scopes as default, but just keep pressing right until you get to the guns barrel.

Besides the menus and stat screens (overall) being a complete fucking mess to navigate; this attachment screen in particular is not very user friendly.

Arsenic

Jim said:
I'm impressed. After finally giving LBP a break, I had some very smooth games going on last night and everything worked nicely. Not much pauses or performance issues overall, and I was getting that "Socom 2" feeling from it again.

Can't wait for them to get trophies and tweaks and stuff in there, so it feels more complete.

Also, is there any way to silence any of the assault rifles (M4A1) like in S2? I'm too lazy to research it atm. I didn't see it as an accessory.
Think like MGS4, its a very simliar setup, just not as fleshed out.

dork

Banned
Grayman said:
It is a team game, isn't it?

so they penalize people for not having friends? What if someone doesnt spend their days on the interwebs to have the ability to join a clan, or they work most of the day and only play casually.

Arsenic

dork said:
so they penalize people for not having friends? What if someone doesnt spend their days on the interwebs to have the ability to join a clan, or they work most of the day and only play casually.
Past socoms (1,2) allowed anyone to gain rank.

Socom 3 and CA required credit card verification. -.-

So, it may not be perfect, but its a step up

RotBot

dork said:
Anyone can start their own 1-man clan. You'd want to do that anyway even if you don't care about ranks because of the bonus faction weapon.

f3niks said:
It's a remote set up. You set your claymores and then there should be a control device that shows up as your scroll through your weapons.

So what's the difference between claymores and C4 then? Besides being able to stick C4 onto walls, is there a difference?

Doel

pistolpete2940 said:
So what's the difference between claymores and C4 then? Besides being able to stick C4 onto walls, is there a difference?
C4 counts down automatically, its not remotely set off. Claymores you set off remotely.

Jim

GQman2121 said:
Yeah, that's something a LOT of people are having trouble figuring out.

You actually have to press right when your in the attachment screen to pick out load outs (front grip, scope, GL, and suppressor). I think it starts on the scopes as default, but just keep pressing right until you get to the guns barrel.

Ahhh ok, I knew it was in there, thanks. I'm a sucker for the silenced M4A1.

And is it too much to ask for a simple offline training/target practice room so I can mess with the setting/controls/weapons without having to screw up online games?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Bumblebeetuna said:
Damn, averaging 66% so far in reviews. My how the mighty have fallen.
Unfortunately a lot of that was due to the network errors and problems, I heard the actual game was quite good. I'll probably pick it up tonight mainly for the headset but if it's anything like Socom II I will love it.

EazyB

Banned
Should finally get some good time into the game this weekend. Hopefully there will be a GAF room up so I can play with some of you fellas.

Doel

Jim said:

And is it too much to ask for a simple offline training/target practice room so I can mess with the setting/controls/weapons without having to screw up online games?
Play respawn rooms. They are really just meant to just screw around and learn the game.

Jim

Doel said:
Play respawn rooms. They are really just meant to just screw around and learn the game.

Oh I have... I had no choice. People were still asking why I was hiding in the tunnel on frostfire, standing in one spot testing the motion controls around the corners. hah

GQman2121

Banned
Can anyone honestly say they've mastered the motion controls yet? I don't think it's possible; a bunch of us tired for a few games last weekend with different settings and the general consensus was that the shit is more of a hindrance than it is actually useful.

We all did agree that the motion controls work great for ducking down and that it (and it alone) is the only welcomed feature to come from the Sixaxis.

spwolf

Jim said:

i know... but password protected game should work, or?

GQman2121 - ducking and looking out of the corner, didnt try anything else - those two work perfectly tho..

GQman2121 said:
Can anyone honestly say they've mastered the motion controls yet? I don't think it's possible; a bunch of us tired for a few games last weekend with different settings and the general consensus was that the shit is more of a hindrance than it is actually useful.

We all did agree that the motion controls work great for ducking down and that it (and it alone) is the only welcomed feature to come from the Sixaxis.

Agreed. I was dying for the ol' d-pad lean the other day (especially for chucking grenades around a corner or through a door, used to love that in SOCOM). It would've made a lot more sense to map something like night vision and reload to tilt since it doesn't require much precision.

The only time any kind of Six Axis functionality has worked in a shooter so far is Uncharted's grenade distance/trajectory. Slant 6 shoulda copied that one. I don't know what ND knows that everybody else doesn't but it was remarkably precise and intuitive.

Doel

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Agreed. I was dying for the ol' d-pad lean the other day (especially for chucking grenades around a corner or through a door, used to love that in SOCOM). It would've made a lot more sense to map something like night vision and reload to tilt since it doesn't require much precision.

The only time any kind of Six Axis functionality has worked in a shooter so far is Uncharted's grenade distance/trajectory. Slant 6 shoulda copied that one. I don't know what ND knows that everybody else doesn't but it was remarkably precise and intuitive.
They did, kind of. If you sit the controller straight up your guy will throw the grenade over hand and father. If the controller is laying flat then he will underhand it and throw it shorter.

J-Rzez

Bumblebeetuna said:
Damn, averaging 66% so far in reviews. My how the mighty have fallen.

Good thing it's just issues that could be fixed via patch holding back scores only like bugs and server issues. Because gameplay wise, it's the most skill based, competitive shooter out there period.

J-Rzez said:
Good thing it's just issues that could be fixed via patch holding back scores only like bugs and server issues. Because gameplay wise, it's the most skill based, competitive shooter out there period.

Agreed. I was playing yesterday with a buddy and some fucker was hiding in this corner on a staircase and we idiotically rushed him and he took us both out. In COD or Halo, I would have rushed his ass a second time without hesitation, but the second round we were a lot more methodical and tactical. We used a flash bang, but instead of bum rushing him, we ran to the other side, and came up behind him. It was awesome.

I had no idea you can press Right on the d-pad to cycle different mods for the gun. Thats fucking incredible, I will be changing so much now.

One thing I love is that I met a guy and joined his clan, I was the first to join but now we have 10 people so its really our own thing. Other games I would join a clan but I didnt feel like I belonged. I also love that the guy I play with consistently comes online and we setup matches and shit, its really a first for me.

GQman2121

Banned
Lion Heart said:
One thing I love is that I met a guy and joined his clan, I was the first to join but now we have 10 people so its really our own thing. Other games I would join a clan but I didnt feel like I belonged. I also love that the guy I play with consistently comes online and we setup matches and shit, its really a first for me.

That's how it happens. I've been playing with the same group of guys (in my clan and in other clans from West 1) since 2002 because of Socom.

J-Rzez

Lion Heart said:
Agreed. I was playing yesterday with a buddy and some fucker was hiding in this corner on a staircase and we idiotically rushed him and he took us both out. In COD or Halo, I would have rushed his ass a second time without hesitation, but the second round we were a lot more methodical and tactical. We used a flash bang, but instead of bum rushing him, we ran to the other side, and came up behind him. It was awesome.

I had no idea you can press Right on the d-pad to cycle different mods for the gun. Thats fucking incredible, I will be changing so much now.

The community is very close knit. I started up my old clan that persisted through from S1 and every sequel until now. And we've already got back 9 of our original members, with more coming back soon too.

Am I the only one to think that with all the time Slant Six had with this game, that this game feels completely backwards or has not progressed in ANY way besides graphics and sound. What the hell has Slant Six been spending their time on???

I love Socom 1-3, but i fucking hate hate hate Socom: Confrontation. Whoever wants to pick up the game from me, PM me.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So what's the word on the fixes for this? I'm aching for some kind of tactical shooter that I can play for hours on end, ala CS.

This sounds like it, but I'm afraid to bite until things are a bit more stable. With some of the bugs I've read about I'm not entirely sure I'd enjoy things.

I'd love to be wrong, though. This sounds damn good.

J-Rzez

Giant Robot said:
Am I the only one to think that with all the time Slant Six had with this game, that this game feels completely backwards or has not progressed in ANY way besides graphics and sound. What the hell has Slant Six been spending their time on???

I love Socom 1-3, but i fucking hate hate hate Socom: Confrontation. Whoever wants to pick up the game from me, PM me.

The game was supposed to be a fan service, as they've said themselves. They wanted to take it back to the Socom 1 and 2 feel, as that's what fans wanted. They did just that. Yes, graphics and of course the amazing sound are steps up, and they added small touches here and there to expand the S2 gameplay that wasn't enough to "ruin" the purity of it. For examples, the sprinting system, and angle of grenade toss.

The only thing I really question about the time they spent was on QA with the bugs, scope issues, and server responsiveness. They nailed classic socom gameplay, which is what the fans wanted, and once they fix up the bugs (which are problems that from prior history can be fixed via patches/server updates, and give me my SR-25/XM110 :p, I'll be incredibly happy. No other shooter out there has this much depth of strategy and needed teamwork. It also has the best gunplay out there bar-none. In a market saturated with run'n'gun rambo respawn'o'ramas with lame and lackluster gameplay modes, this is exactly what I needed.

Arsenic

J-Rzez said:
The game was supposed to be a fan service, as they've said themselves. They wanted to take it back to the Socom 1 and 2 feel, as that's what fans wanted. They did just that. Yes, graphics and of course the amazing sound are steps up, and they added small touches here and there to expand the S2 gameplay that wasn't enough to "ruin" the purity of it. For examples, the sprinting system, and angle of grenade toss.
You think grenades are just as good as it was in Socom 1, 2? If anyhting, Slant Six done everything to make grenades useless. And it doesn't seem to favor you getting used to it, its just useless flatout.

Doel

Arsenic said:
You think grenades are just as good as it was in Socom 1, 2? If anyhting, Slant Six done everything to make grenades useless. And it doesn't seem to favor you getting used to it, its just useless flatout.
I've got a number of kills with grenades, but no they aren't as powerful as SOCOM 1&2, and thank god for that. On the smaller maps like Frostfire, the way every SOCOM 1&2 match played out, you'd have to sit at your spawn for 30sec-1min until everyone has exhausted their grenade tosses. Now its more about the gunplay with grenades as a far secondary use.

J-Rzez

Doel said:
I've got a number of kills with grenades, but no they aren't as powerful as SOCOM 1&2, and thank god for that. On the smaller maps like Frostfire, the way every SOCOM 1&2 match played out, you'd have to sit at your spawn for 30sec-1min until everyone has exhausted their grenade tosses. Now its more about the gunplay with grenades as a far secondary use.

They did lower the splash damage a bit from the shrapnel, which was good, along with range. The start of every frostfire like you said, xroads, and ruins was like a bombing run at the start of the match everytime lol. So it's good they took a little bit of range away. I remember I'd be able to throw from the bottom of the half-wall steps clearly across to the other side and over the high spots to almost where you could plant the bomb in the garage.

Top Bottom