• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

btkadams

so are they going to let us join clanmates games? have they mentioned anything about that yet? and also the fact that it always says everyone in your clan is online regardless of if they are or not.

dralla

btkadams said:
so are they going to let us join clanmates games? have they mentioned anything about that yet? and also the fact that it always says everyone in your clan is online regardless of if they are or not.

"We are also hard at work on an additional patch which will include the remaining community support features. The design and art teams are also making great progress on new content- based on some of the posts in the forums, many of you will be very happy with what is coming down the pipe."

im assuming that falls into that category

and if we don't get a Blizzard remake it would be a huge dissapointment.

btkadams

dralla said:
"We are also hard at work on an additional patch which will include the remaining community support features. The design and art teams are also making great progress on new content- based on some of the posts in the forums, many of you will be very happy with what is coming down the pipe."

im assuming that falls into that category

and if we don't get a Blizzard remake it would be a huge dissapointment.
was that the snow level that was in either S1 or S2?? ( i forget) i absolutely loved that map. i hope they do a mappack with like 4 maps. would be great!

Arsenic

btkadams said:
was that the snow level that was in either S1 or S2?? ( i forget) i absolutely loved that map. i hope they do a mappack with like 4 maps. would be great!
well, in both s1 and s2, but originated from s1. i do miss it at daytime, but nighttime was best i think. they need to bring back all the snow maps again (even requiem >:[ )

Are the servers down again? Me and my friends don't seem to be able to get logged into them... Oh well.

Hopefully that 1.3 patch is released sooner rather than later, it sounds great! :D

And I absolutely LOVE this game. It's the best online shooter out there on PS3, by faaaar IMO.

GQman2121

Banned
Well that's quite a long list of features for future patches.

What's the current over/under on how many patches it's going to take to get all of that into the game?

matmanx1

Picked up the game this weekend on the recommendation of some friends. I was wary because of the beta but after having played a few hours of the 1.2 patch I can definitely see tons of improvement. I was able to get into both ranked and unranked games and had a blast each time. They definitely need to add parties and trophies in ASAP but now that the lag and freezing issues are (mostly) gone the gameplay is shining. And awesome!

n1n9tean

Banned
I can't wait to get this. I figured things would get better. As a Socom fan you have to be able to endure tremendous agony sometimes. :lol :lol :lol

But, you should always be able to get back on your feet and keep on marching.

sajj316

matmanx1 said:
Picked up the game this weekend on the recommendation of some friends. I was wary because of the beta but after having played a few hours of the 1.2 patch I can definitely see tons of improvement. I was able to get into both ranked and unranked games and had a blast each time. They definitely need to add parties and trophies in ASAP but now that the lag and freezing issues are (mostly) gone the gameplay is shining. And awesome!

This is what I'm waiting for! I think 1.3 is coming out soon as well. I'm sure its another case of 'Woehawk' to 'WOWhawk' (credit Jim @ GAMING-AGE) for that line :D

dralla

ah I see they're changing the grenades :[ I think they're perfect the way they are now, S2 had too much grenade spamming because the blast radius was so big.

DaFish

dralla said:
ah I see they're changing the grenades :[ I think they're perfect the way they are now, S2 had too much grenade spamming because the blast radius was so big.

Kinda agree, that they should leave them alone... but they might only tweek them alittle which is fine. ("Realistic")

DaFish

Tom Penny said:
So is the 4.5 IGN gave this game legit?

I only saw to video review, but pretty much they only "poopped" on the server side problems and all the other stuff we have all been gripe'in about here. They thought core gameplay is butter.

"SOCOM was pushed out early"

It deserves a re-review fo' sho

Arsenic

dralla said:
they still need to change the slowness of the target line. its just too slow to measure.

it should be instant-to-maximize when you press and hold R1, and pressure sensitive otherwise. and none of that bullshit sixaxis/uncharted bullshit (another ripoff failure to be added, J-rzez)

J-Rzez

Arsenic said:
sounds very accurate. but sadly they dont talk more about the gameplay itself, like the 1-life per-round gameplay resulting in intense matches, less brainless shooting. it may be old gameplay, but funny enough though, shit like that is "groundbreaking" in this day and age of online shooters.

That "old" style of gameplay is so refreshing in shooters. It's obviously very popular with the rabid fanbase as there's nothing else like it out there. I wish more devs would try to nail SOCOM's gameplay.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
J-Rzez said:
That "old" style of gameplay is so refreshing in shooters. It's obviously very popular with the rabid fanbase as there's nothing else like it out there. I wish more devs would try to nail SOCOM's gameplay.

Few people realized this, but Gears of War is the same.

J-Rzez

TTP said:
Few people realized this, but Gears of War is the same.

It's not the same. It has the "1life per round" thing, but it's not the same. SOCOM isn't just that, it's also believable and realistic combat. You're not a bullet sponge, you can't regen health, you don't have the same type/amount of various modes. Unless Gears 2 changed from the first, it has just a touch of SOCOM. (my gamefly copy of Gears 2 didn't come in yet to try out, so I'm not sure)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
J-Rzez said:
It's not the same. It has the "1life per round" thing, but it's not the same. SOCOM isn't just that, it's also believable and realistic combat. You're not a bullet sponge, you can't regen health, you don't have the same type/amount of various modes. Unless Gears 2 changed from the first, it has just a touch of SOCOM. (my gamefly copy of Gears 2 didn't come in yet to try out, so I'm not sure)

Of course gameplay is different. I was just referring to the "1 life per round" thing. Makes me feel like I felt in SOCOM. Scared and badass at the same time. It's so much rewarding when you kill somebody and you know it REALLY hurts him. In free respawn games, I don't get that feeling. You kill someone, and 10 secs later he's back in the field. Bah. Pointless.

Every shooter should be no respawn. In my little perfect imaginary world.

Arsenic

J-Rzez said:
trust me im praising it. I wished more games were like that, or even had a mode like so.

Also Gears health regen ruined it for me atleast. also the small maps (not bashing) but it was not as intense as socom ever was for me.

Treo360

So I took the plunge and picked this up today, traded in COD 4 (360) as I need something to play on the triple, aside from owning Uncharted this would be the 3rd shooter I've played on the ps3 (Resistance being the other) since launch.

The only thing that sucks so far is that I've waited for an hour an hour for the game to install (launch 20gb here) and to download a 473mb and a 49mb patch.

How is this in regard to Ghost Recon ? Similar?

Doel

Treo360 said:
So I took the plunge and picked this up today, traded in COD 4 (360) as I need something to play on the triple, aside from owning Uncharted this would be the 3rd shooter I've played on the ps3 (Resistance being the other) since launch.

The only thing that sucks so far is that I've waited for an hour an hour for the game to install (launch 20gb here) and to download a 473mb and a 49mb patch.

How is this in regard to Ghost Recon ? Similar?
Oh gawd, it lights GRAW on fire and throws it off the CN Tower. It's not even close.

When I play GRAW online all I feel is a game that is trying to be SOCOM but is missing so much of the essence of it's online play. SOCOM Confrontation is miles better then GRAW in every regard, from online interface/lobby system to map design, to core game mechanics.

Treo360

Doel said:
Oh gawd, it lights GRAW on fire and throws it off the CN Tower. It's not even close.

When I play GRAW online all I feel is a game that is trying to be SOCOM but is missing so much of the essence of it's online play. SOCOM Confrontation is miles better then GRAW in every regard, from online interface/lobby system to map design, to core game mechanics.

So far it's been a mixed bag. Fun mixed with the frustration of lag. Warping players etc.

Click

Banned
I long for the days of SOCOM II where I would wall jump all over Crossroads (and other maps) to take out entire teams by myself by headshotting them with my M14. Or in "pistol only" games in Fishhook where my entire team dies right off the bat, then I get to take out all 8 of the enemy team by myself. Those were the glory days, lol...

I might get Confrontation when they patch this game more. Kinda sucks how this game was released way too prematurely and have gotten so much negative press already.

I just got this game today and am brand new to the franchise.

I plan on playing it this weekend for the first time, and was wondering if:

1) As a total noob to this franchise, I'll have any hope at having a good time
2) Is anyone on GAF playing this?
3) Any noob tips/thoughts/what to dos/what not to dos?

Any and all help is appreciated.

GodofWine

RichyDevil said:

1) Yes, its a fun game
2) I dunno
3) Don't run and gun, Don't talk like an idiot on the mic, stick with a teammate, pretty much act like you would if this was real life and you were possibly going to be killed unless you kill the other guy.

spwolf

RichyDevil said:

play unranked games on servers that have respawn so you can learn the maps... it is a lot of fun for everyone, because everyone dies the same :).

Arnie

Oh god I loved the Beta, played alot of it and really wanted to buy the final product. It's unfortunate that it got delayed in Europe as I'm in the UK. Me and my brother both want retail copies when the game comes out in January, do you think the community will still be alive and kicking, population wise?

Treo360

-ARNiE- said:
Oh god I loved the Beta, played alot of it and really wanted to buy the final product. It's unfortunate that it got delayed in Europe as I'm in the UK. Me and my brother both want retail copies when the game comes out in January, do you think the community will still be alive and kicking, population wise?

I'm here in the East Coast (N.J.) and the servers(?) are constantly filled, but if they are servers why the hell does the game degrade to skipping and warping? I'd play this more if it were more stable, but to answer your question I think the community will be active, that is until MAG or whatever the heck it will be called comes out, oh and Kz2 too.

spwolf

-ARNiE- said:

socom has huge community, thousands playing at anytime, with 25k online at the same time sometimes... so dont worry.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
this is amazing to me. i have never, ever, ever been nearly as bad at a shooter as i am in this game. i am 100% useless in a match. it is beyond frustrating, and am not improving at all as time passes. my stats are just getting worse and worse. wow.

_tetsuo_ said:
this is amazing to me. i have never, ever, ever been nearly as bad at a shooter as i am in this game. i am 100% useless in a match. it is beyond frustrating, and am not improving at all as time passes. my stats are just getting worse and worse. wow.

dont worry its always like that but soon youll start to know the maps and then it will just click.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DemonSwordsman said:
dont worry its always like that but soon youll start to know the maps and then it will just click.

i certainly hope thats the case, because playing the game right now just really makes me mad lol.

XxBigP123xX said:
which is no one

Erm, I've been off and on with the game myself, but every time I've logged on the servers have been packed. Which I gather is more a testament to the intractable pull of SOCOM's core gameplay than the rushed, under supported, buggy POS itself. But anyway, hopefully the patch will finally put an end to the world's longest beta test. I can't wait for it to go gold right before my very eyes! Sony should send a thank you card to each and every one of us for contributing funding and feedback to the project. It was a pleasure.

yes I'm bitter. yes I will be playing again. fuckers.

Top Bottom