• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

f3niks

Has anyone read or heard anything about faulty disks? My copy stalls at the install screen. The disk is clean and the drive seems to work just fine.

sprocket

Banned
f3niks said:
Has anyone read or heard anything about faulty disks? My copy stalls at the install screen. The disk is clean and the drive seems to work just fine.

its not stalling it just take a long time to install. mine seemed like it stopped then jumped a few points and repeated till done.

spwolf

f3niks said:

just leave it on... it installs for long time...

Nightz

f3niks said:
Been mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's not really stalling. It just takes a long time for the actual install to start.

Edit: Yeah, what the other 2 people said..

sprocket

Banned
just a not the automatic pairing doesnt take hold until you unplug the headset and turn the head set ON. then the light goes green until then even though the head set is paired it will still blink red.

f3niks

After leaving it on for 10 minutes (well it seems that long) it finally shows up. Thanks to all that have replied. It's not a socom release without a little techinical drama.:lol

patsu

Yes, the installer takes a long time to come back (before showing the progress bar). I thought it froze. They should have some indication.

jmonteiro said:
Doesn't the box say "Not for Resale"? If so you might as well just open it and have some fun with it.

From what I can tell, the "first sale" doctrine allows you to sell this. But I don't really know anything about this.

Keeps saying "Error communicating with server" and stuff but if you just hammer through all the error prompts you can keep going. I'm joining a game right now.

btkadams said:
like what??

"An operation could not be completed because there was an error communicating with the server. Community Features may not be available. Game rankings and statistics may not be recorded."

this happens at all times for me.

As well as time out errors.

WiCkEd_Co

Suburban_Nooblet said:
"An operation could not be completed because there was an error communicating with the server. Community Features may not be available. Game rankings and statistics may not be recorded."

this happens at all times for me.

As well as time out errors.

That's how you know /6 got it correct, just like all the other Socom's. I feel so piss and happy at the same time.

ravien56

WTF is going on with this game? everytime I try joining a channel, it says fail to join and when I do enter a channel, its impossible to play a game...it either keeps relooping a message about problems entering or disabling the community features...then when I get into the lobby, it boots me right out to the channel, 30 mins of this bullshit and I havent played one game

btkadams

does anybody have an email address at slant six that i can email? id like to personally tell them how extremely disappointed I am that they have rushed a game out so badly. i was on for a half hour and didn't get to play one single game without being disconnected from the server. and guess what, it isnt just me, its EVERY ONE ELSE TOO. wtf is going on? GAF use your internet powers.

i realize its a socom game and theyre usually buggy lol, but never this bad. i know that its a great game, but its going to be impossible for anyone to experience that when they can't get their shit together.

alejob

I preordered on amazon and the thing is shipping on the 20th. WTH? So I went around twon looking for a copy and couldn't find one :(

tenchir

I cannot even get into the game at all, keep saying network initialization failed. Anyone has the same problem?

edit: I should have read before positing. At least this this is giving me Socom 1 and 2 vibe.

I got into two different games with no troubles other than the seemingly meaningless error messages. I don't like how there are so many important controls mapped to the d-pad, might see if I can change some of that. Leaning around corners with the motion sensing controls is quite interesting, not sure how I feel about it overall yet.

btkadams

AgentOtaku said:
Wow...really sad to hear these impressions thus far =/

Guess I'll have a go at it tonight when I get off work
the sad thing is that i played the beta and when things actually worked, it was a fantastic game. its too bad nobody can get onto a server and actually play it. how sad is it that the start of the beta was so atrocious and had so many freezings, but i could actually get into a game. this is the full product.

lmao at the official site's poll

How Many Games Have You Played So Far?
Options:
30+
25-29
20-24
15-19
10-14
0-9

63% say 0-9 and i bet you those are all people who have been trying to get on.

tenchir said:
I cannot even get into the game at all, keep saying network initialization failed. Anyone has the same problem?
everybodys having those issues

sprocket

Banned
btkadams said:
does anybody have an email address at slant six that i can email? id like to personally tell them how extremely disappointed I am that they have rushed a game out so badly. i was on for a half hour and didn't get to play one single game without being disconnected from the server. and guess what, it isnt just me, its EVERY ONE ELSE TOO. wtf is going on? GAF use your internet powers.

i realize its a socom game and theyre usually buggy lol, but never this bad. i know that its a great game, but its going to be impossible for anyone to experience that when they can't get their shit together.

its just really packed I got on a few times and the servers where packed.

256in 256 max

i just got done playing for 2 hours and it ran flawlessly so i would say its pretty much a toss up if u get it to run well. havent had a single problem from the beta show up for me.

btkadams

aj2good4you2 said:
i just got done playing for 2 hours and it ran flawlessly so i would say its pretty much a toss up if u get it to run well. havent had a single problem from the beta show up for me.
well with so many people on i guess its understandable that SOMEONE is able to play the game.

btkadams said:
well with so many people on i guess its understandable that SOMEONE is able to play the game.

well in the 4 servers i played on everyone was talking about how much better it is than the beta and how smooth it runs. i only got the 1 second lag pause thing once in all my games. pretty much everyone seemed to be having a blast

The manual says atleast 1 hour to charge first time, and 3 hour charge from empty to full...I just got it and it finished in under 2 hours (i left, came back 2 hours later and it was finished). Should I keep it plugged in for another hour, or will it not charge? (it is solid red)

Lion Heart said:
The manual says atleast 1 hour to charge first time, and 3 hour charge from empty to full...I just got it and it finished in under 2 hours (i left, came back 2 hours later and it was finished). Should I keep it plugged in for another hour, or will it not charge? (it is solid red)

i only charged mine for 1 1/2 hours and it came up with all the bars, and after 2 hours of use its at 2/3 bars

patsu

mh56 said:
WTF is going on with this game? everytime I try joining a channel, it says fail to join and when I do enter a channel, its impossible to play a game...it either keeps relooping a message about problems entering or disabling the community features...then when I get into the lobby, it boots me right out to the channel, 30 mins of this bullshit and I havent played one game

I got in and played 3 rounds before leaving for dinner.

There are a few problems:

* The button press timing is too short/sensitive. When I pressed once, the game thought I held down the button and repeated the presses 2-3 times per second. This happens for all the UI elements. So it was rather confusing to use (accidentally clicked ok, overshot dropdown list, ...)

* The community server is not up. Fine. But the game does keep repeating the error. I think something got pulled last minute and they didn't have time to silence the error messages.

Once I was in the game, they were rather intense but we lost all 3 rounds. I am such a noob T_T

Owensboro

Anyone want to buy a new sealed copy for $30 (plus shipping)? I bought the bundle for the headset only, and with TF2 + Left4Dead I won't need any multiplayer games for a while. I dropped a line in the buy/sell/trade thread but there were no takers (yet). Just shoot me a PM if you want it. (shipping from USA)

Can anyone give some impressions of the HQ voice mode?

How much better does it sound compared to what we're used to on XBL or the regular bluetooth headsets?

btkadams

aj2good4you2 said:
well in the 4 servers i played on everyone was talking about how much better it is than the beta and how smooth it runs. i only got the 1 second lag pause thing once in all my games. pretty much everyone seemed to be having a blast
well i do admit all the menus and stuff are running insanely better than the beta. im sure if i actually got into a game it would be a blast, but i just can't seem to catch any luck.

tenchir

Played a couple of games, and I must say that even with the tons of bugs, I am enjoying myself. So who is creating GAF clan? Let's meet up.

This is ridiculous I can't even get into a game."Network initialization failed" errors have been killing me for 30min straight. Fix the servers please!

How many times was this game delayed? I've been playing it and I can't help but feel the game shipped several months too early.

And the errors going on right now are ridiculous. They were not ready to launch the game at all.

Oh, and I'd just like to say that getting this game to play for the first time has biggest hassle I've ever had with a video game. Made me miss cartridges.

I can't find a single review for this game. Wtf.

I didn't notice until a friend pointed it out, but it's very odd.

Edit: Nevermind. It just hit me. :lol

Top Bottom