• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supernatural Season 11 |OT| No, seriously, it got awesome again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't think it could have ended any other way than the way it did. I'm glad they didn't do something as dumb as killing omnipotent entities.

But now I think human antagonists will be the worst yet, since they aren't going to be able to just wantonly kill them without coming off as bad guys themselves. Remember, their mission is about saving people--not murdering them.

All I could think about when they were putting together the spirit bomb
I pictured it more like sucking up souls in Onimusha.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It was a pretty satisfying finale to be honest but not an incredible one. It wrapped up a long time story as well as a lot of things nicely while also introducing possible plot points for next season pretty casually.

I thought the park meeting with Amara and the old lady felt a little contrived, like as soon as you saw that you pretty much knew how the finale of the episode was going to play out. And sure enough, Amara goes on to apologize and fixes chuck right before he dies.

I really enjoyed the fact that the men of letter's who are left are finally tracking down sam and dean and taking them to jail for fucking everything up. This feels like it's a long time coming haha.

Their mother being back alive is a bit peculiar though, I'm really not sure where they're going to take that plot point. I almost wish they had brought back the younger version of her so that she could have been in her prime as a hunter, but maybe she'll still kick ass.

The only thing I can think of is the first few episodes of the next season are going to involve mom and dean saving Sam, only for them to find that he's either exiled in limbo by the men of letters or brainwashed by them or something. I'm honestly not very hopeful for next season lol.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Liked the finale, wonder where next season is going

Mama winchester back is strange though, no idea what'll happen there

Ithil

Everyone expected "Stab the villain with this never-before-mentioned magic object" as usual, instead they talked through their problems almost without a fuss.

Neat. Looks like they're trying to take down the scale for next season, very understandable, it's not like you can top "God and his sibling", and they are just a pair of hunters after all, this has all been so far above their pay grade for so long.

Everyone expected "Stab the villain with this never-before-mentioned magic object" as usual, instead they talked through their problems almost without a fuss.

Neat. Looks like they're trying to take down the scale for next season, very understandable, it's not like you can top "God and his sibling", and they are just a pair of hunters after all, this has all been so far above their pay grade for so long.

Yah, I'm glad they didn't bring out the Ancient Knife of MacGuffinia to kill the baddie this time around. Very different season, verrrry interesting~

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My one issue with this episode is Castiel's attitude towards God. Of all the characters in Supernatural, aside from Lucifer and Metatron, Castiel's been God's biggest fan and he hardly takes any interest in Chuck.

My one issue with this episode is Castiel's attitude towards God. Of all the characters in Supernatural, aside from Lucifer and Metatron, Castiel's been God's biggest fan and he hardly takes any interest in Chuck.

That was way back when, though. He's been mostly stoic towards God and bitter about it in some ways since season 5.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That was way back when, though. He's been mostly stoic towards God and bitter about it in some ways since season 5.

That's fair but I wanted a stronger reaction from him still. Sam was God's caretaker/champion throughout this whole thing.

Anyway I finished the episode and it was just okay. Better than 10's finale. I like the setup for season 12 though.

Next season I hope we get: More Billie, Death coming back, Mary being a boss

Goldrush

I thought the park meeting with Amara and the old lady felt a little contrived, like as soon as you saw that you pretty much knew how the finale of the episode was going to play out. And sure enough, Amara goes on to apologize and fixes chuck right before he dies.

Yeah, but I think they should have done more of Amara seeing the beauty in God's creation now that she wasn't blinded by anger. With just the lady and the flower, her turn seems sudden. Wouldn't mind stealing some time from the soul bomb plot to show her regrets building.

Yeah, but I think they should have done more of Amara seeing the beauty in God's creation now that she wasn't blinded by anger. With just the lady and the flower, her turn seems sudden. Wouldn't mind stealing some time from the soul bomb plot to show her regrets building.

You could tell she saw the beauty in it when she was walking around, and just admiring things, and seeing the flowers dying due to the Sun dying.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

His faith was broken. When he needed him the most, he was never there. And when Joshua told the bros that god didn't see his sons wrecking the world as his problem, that was it.

Knoxcore

All I have to say is that was an awful finale and an awful episode in general. It's like they didn't know how to deal with two of the most powerful beings in the universe so they tried to find the quickest possible way to end their storyline and move on to the next one which was shoved in out of nowhere. I felt no emotional impact in anything. Not with Dean's goodbye, not with Sam maybe getting shot not with God and Amara reuniting. The closest semblance of any emotions for me was when Dean saw his mother.

C-

All I have to say is that was an awful finale and an awful episode in general. It's like they didn't know how to deal with two of the most powerful beings in the universe so they tried to find the quickest possible way to end their storyline and move on to the next one which was shoved in out of nowhere. I felt no emotional impact in anything. Not with Dean's goodbye, not with Sam maybe getting shot not with God and Amara reuniting. The closest semblance of any emotions for me was when Dean saw his mother.

C-

What kind of heartless monster are you? What about Dean's speech to Cas about how he's like a brother to them?

Plus It's Ying & Yang dude, if you kill either either of em, the universe ceases to exist. If you kill both of em well, it doesn't exist x2 or like implodes or some shit. I liked it, first time they they dealt with an enemy by showing them the path they're on is wrong. And didn't have to kill them. Plus through the season we see how much regret God felt having to lock his sister away, and how pissed his sister was for him doing so. And now they put away their problems and are flying through space together, it's nice for a show that can be rather dark at times.

C-
I liked the finale and resolution quite a bit, but I'm totally with you on the lack of emotion regarding the goodbyes. Maybe the last 10+ years of them constantly trying to sacrifice themselves for each other, only to come back, have dulled the impact of yet another self-sacrifice plot.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Agreed, I wish that it had been a slowly developing thing throughout the episode or even like something that they would have done throughout the season so it didn't feel like a last minute fix.

bachikarn

Just watched. Some thoughts:

- I guess Lucifer is alive? Maybe Amara put him back in the cage? If not, maybe we will see him again. A little weird God didn't care considering they just made up.

- I like the ideas of other chapters of the Men of Letters. It never made sense to me that the MoL were like 6 guys in America and that's it. Wish they went that direction in Season 8 or whenever they first introduced them. I like if the next season is about them. I never thought they should have tried escalating the big bad past Lucifer. He should have been the ultimate bad guy, and the only reason Dean and Sam succeeded was because they had other superpowers at their side. Hopefully the Thule society makes a return.

- Overall, I liked the Darkness plotline, but I generally don't think it was as well planned as Season 1-5. They definitely had some good ideas, but not sure if they executed them that well. They hyped up Lucifer getting out of the cage, but then he didn't do much. God ended up being kind of an idiot. I thought for sure what happened to him was part of some plan, but he basically did nothing this episode.

- I liked the idea of Amara regretting her decision and ending the story how they did, but it was a little hard to believe that she was ultimately good. We saw her straight up be evil early in the season with eating souls and generally being a dick to people.

tirminyl

Meh finale. Three things:

- What did God mean that Sam and Dean are going to protect the world? They have no power, they pissed off everyone, and they have a reaper that wants to throw them in the void.

- I like Billie. She is cool. Like Death. Which means they are going to kill her in the stupidest way possible.

- When they showed the Men of Letters lady, I at first thought her boss was Death and he was just chilling overseas eating fish and chips. But, nope.

bachikarn

Meh finale. Three things:

- What did God mean that Sam and Dean are going to protect the world? They have no power, they pissed off everyone, and they have a reaper that wants to throw them in the void.

I was thinking about this. I wonder if the series will end with showing that Sam and Dean being immortal, and saving people and the world for years and years. God basically implied they were the protectors of the World instead of God or Angels.

I just can't imagine Sam and Dean ever settling down. If they die and go to Heaven, they will eventually realize it and break out and meet up with the guy from Season 2. And then I can't see them just sitting on the sidelines, especially if bad shit is going down on Earth. They'd find a way to escape and help.

Personally, I interpreted that not to mean Sam and Dean, specifically, but people like them. The world will be fine because people like them will protect it.

Was expecting something a bit more epic but it wasn't bad. I'd still say the ending was the worst part of an otherwise very awesome season. I guess it makes sense that in the end the only way to stop her was to reason with her, it shouldn't be possible for them to kill her, no matter what they come up with, it was either going to be Chuck or nothing. Though he turned out to be a wuss it was understandable because otherwise Sam and Dean would've just been spectators.
Having humans as the antagonists is a nice change of pace but after Amara there's a risk of everything else feeling tame in comparison.
Not sure where they are going with the whole mother thing, did Amara ressurect her?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
so is dean in heaven now or is his mom just ressurected ?

Pretty sure Amara brought their mom back as a thank you. I mean it's a pretty fitting gift considering what they did (not to mention the ramification vis a vi any and all future apocalypses).

strafer

How many damn times are Dean going to sacrifice himself, it's never emotional anymore. He will come back as usual.

And also, hello mom. Finally, hottest mom on television.

Now get old mom and young mom to meet.

So the Series ends with Dean and Sam settling down with Mom at home next season, retired from it all?

I don't think the Men of Letters will be antagonists next season.

Pejo

Just caught the finale last night, and I totally agree with this. Not just Castiel though, pretty much everyone. They spent 20 mins of one episode being amazed that they're talking to God, and then all of a sudden he's just some joe shmoe that happens to be there and part of "the gang". I mean Metatron had some questions to ask, so I guess the viewers already knew some answers, but I feel like given the chance to hang with God for a while, you wouldn't spend most of it being bummed out in a bar sitting and thinking silently with a stoic face.

It's really a shame because the Don't call me Shurley episode was so good, and then I felt that the whole thing just fizzled out with a fart. You knew damn well Dean was not going to explode right from inception of the plan. I mean it seems like even Sam knew, because he didn't even do the usual Winchester "I can't let you do that bro!" thing.

I honestly would have preferred the season ending with the Don't Call Me Shurley episode, then picking up for a final season and really putting the time into the God thing that they should have.

Ah well, here come the Brits.

I thought the finale was ok. But I also know that the writers couldn't scheme up a plausible way for the Winchesters to defeat Amara, and am glad that they didn't have them defeat another foe that could have destroyed them with a thought but just doesn't.

OnPoint

I don't think the Men of Letters will be antagonists next season.

The way I predict it:

1. The Men of Letters bring in Sam and they do that whole thing where they tell him he's been doing it wrong and they have a whole "we know better than you" and "no you don't" battle while Sam is largely detained.

2. Something will happen and the MoL will fail to stop it but Sam does. They become allies after this, when Sam proves to them he's worth his salt. This will happen in about 3-4 episodes. Also, Dean may show up to rescue Sam, but show up comically late with a big tough guy entrance after everyone has already kissed and made up.

3. They reveal some kind of threat that will arch the rest of the season, or two.

The way I predict it:

1. The Men of Letters bring in Sam and they do that whole thing where they tell him he's been doing it wrong and they have a whole "we know better than you" and "no you don't" battle while Sam is largely detained.

2. Something will happen and the MoL will fail to stop it but Sam does. They become allies after this, when Sam proves to them he's worth his salt. This will happen in about 3-4 episodes. Also, Dean may show up to rescue Sam, but show up comically late with a big tough guy entrance after everyone has already kissed and made up.

3. They reveal some kind of threat that will arch the rest of the season, or two.

Would be cool to have next season focused on a threat in London, though Show doesn't have that kind of budget.

OnPoint

I wish they would have sprinkled some kind of hints toward this whole MoL storyline throughout the season. Like, have them working on a case, have them get distracted by something pressing, then when they return to figure out what they were originally there for it turns out it was somehow resolved. You wouldn't know it was the MoL until next season when they told you (or if you put the pieces together after the finale and reveal). As it is it feels so tacked on just to move the series forward. Not saying it's a bad move or plotline, but a little foreplay would have been nice.

Would be cool to have next season focused on a threat in London, though Show doesn't have that kind of budget.

Yeah, they would benefit from a change of scenery. Would possibly allow for some new lore. Even if only for 5 episodes.

Kevin

The way I predict it:

Honestly? I'm 100% ok with this. Super excited to see more Men of Letters.

While I'm not super keen on how weak they made God, I'm glad that He and Amara didn't decide to fight each other. In season 5, we are already told that Michael and Lucifer fighting would destroy (half of) the world, so the damage from a fight between beings several magnitudes above them would be beyond catastrophic.

While I'm not super keen on how weak they made God, I'm glad that He and Amara didn't decide to fight each other. In season 5, we are already told that Michael and Lucifer fighting would destroy (half of) the world, so the damage from a fight between beings several magnitudes above them would be beyond catastrophic.

They'd destroy half the universe instead :p

The way I predict it:

Dean: SAMMY! I'M HERE!
Sam: Dean it's okay
Dean: So...I don't get to kick anyone's ass :(?

Effect

I wonder if they're going to have God bring the archangels (including Lucifer) and heal Michael. I believe Chuck did say he could do it but they simply didn't have the time to do it. Seems like a good bonding activity for him and Amara.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wonder if they're going to have God bring the archangels (including Lucifer) and heal Michael. I believe Chuck did say he could do it but they simply didn't have the time to do it. Seems like a good bonding activity for him and Amara.

That'd be pretty cool. Maybe task the Angels with protecting humanity from the monsters?

Finalow

I liked how they ended things with Amara, probably the safest and most logical solution considering how they couldn't overpower her. and of course she was going to notice the bomb.
not really a fan of the setup they made for the next season though, from God&God's sister to more Men of Letters with guns and some mumbo-jumbo suddenly appearing from nowhere? (note how it makes no sense at all for them to show up only now, but of course it's the last episode of the season and they needed some form of cliffhanger besides MOMISBACK, so yeah, let's shoot Sam!) Meh. would have preferred this S11 being the last one, maybe add another episode to work as a proper finale.

Never thought I'd be saying this but I'm really looking forward to season 12.

ermUkmA.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom