• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 5: Dark Resurrection (PS3) out NOW NOW in USA and OH CANADA YOU HAVE IT TOO

Busty

Banned
gofreak said:
Would be really cool if the game was transferable and playable between the two platforms.

Sony should really establish a new 'profile' of downloadable game that is playable on both platforms, just as with the PSone downloadables. Not all PS3 downloadables would need to conform to it, but it could be the new standard for PSP software (i.e. all PSP software could be like this, if and when they come out with this PSP with large internal storage). Then it truly and wholly would be a platform for taking games with you on the go..its existence would be genuinely justified by its portability rather than the exclusivity of its games to that platform (since the games would all be playable on PS3), which is really how a portable platform should be.

Of course, I don't see them making such a bold move :p

I don't think such a proposition would be so outlandish. I think that perhaps Sony are going to be creating 'tiers' of downloadable games/content with them maybe priced and grouped accordingly....

Tier 1 - Could be original games such as Gripshift or Lemmings, or in this case Tekken DR. Titles that are only accessible as a download from the PS network.

Tier 2- Could be retro titles, from other past consoles such as PSone, Neo Geo, Dreamcast or the PS2.

Tier 3 - Perhaps could be older retro titles such as Pac Man, Paperboy or even older titles from 8 or 16 bit era.

Tier 4 - Original and perhaps retro offerings that are playable on both the PS3 and the PSP. Perhaps these titles would be more simplistic in terms of scope and download size seeing as they would need to be playable and emulated by the PSP. Perhaps something closer to Blast Factor/Geometry Wars rather than Tekken DR.

I really like how ambitious Sony are being with there online network in terms of games. This is sort of thing I expected from Nintendo (albeit on a smaller scale in terms of games. With Sony seemingly even encouraging 'their' AAA studios like Factor 5 to produce content for the service they really seem to see it as a majort part of their PS3 game plan.

NeXuSDK

Damn, I'm impressed with Sony's push on PSN.

I love Xbox Live Arcade and it got plenty of great content, but with a year head-start, Sony shouldn't already be able take new steps ahead of Microsoft. That's just embaressing.

Microsoft better start considering a new release schedule.

klee123

All Namco needs to do is enable the game online at a price of 15-20USD and the game will sell like crazy. Then the tekken fans will be happy until Tekken 6.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
klee123 said:
All Namco needs to do is enable the game online at a price of 15-20USD and the game will sell like crazy. Then the tekken fans will be happy until Tekken 6.

That's what I'm curious about... there's no indication yet that'll it'll have online functionality, but it would be a huge omission to make this game available for download via an online service, and NOT have online functionality.

That's definitely cool. But for those who already have PSPs, the accessory coming that allows PSP games to be played on your television makes this somewhat moot.

DarienA

Virgin Wii said:
That's definitely cool. But for those who already have PSPs, the accessory coming that allows PSP games to be played on your television makes this somewhat moot.

Not if you're looking for an HD version of the game, and when was said accessory announced? I've never seen an official announcement for it.

jiggle

DarienA said:
That's what I'm curious about... there's no indication yet that'll it'll have online functionality, but it would be a huge omission to make this game available for download via an online service, and NOT have online functionality.

I could see them holding that back as a selling point for Tekken 6.

Especially if this game is gonna be 15 bucks (or less?). I wonder what kind of effort they'll put into upgrading it.

DarienA said:
Not if you're looking for an HD version of the game, and when was said accessory announced? I've never seen an official announcement for it.

I thought it was official, but I could be wrong.

klee123

Virgin Wii said:

Not really, since the PS3 version is basically the arcade version in HD, it will look a lot better than the PSP version(which still looks very good for portable standards) which has been downgraded by quite a bit.

DarienA

jiggle said:
I could see them holding that back as a selling point for Tekken 6.

Especially if this game is gonna be 15 bucks (or less?). I wonder what kind of effort they'll put into upgrading it.

Yeah that's just it, I'm curious to see how much effort is going to be put in to it.

tdrheihachi.jpg

painey

If its a full priced game i'll pass but if its £15 or so how can you say no?! This is how a marketplace should be done! GT:HD and Tekken.. not Galaga and Pac Man

Dahbomb

If its anywhere below $20 its a bargain. I will not be expecting CG endings at all since this is a downloadable games but I at least hope that the full modes are there. It should also have the PSP online stuff.

I just realized that this new correlates to my theory of Namco using Tekken DR hardware for the Tekken 6 trailer... :D

jett

D-Member
"Full HD"? Before japanese companies have used to this phrase to describe re-done next-gen graphics.

...but uh knowing namcrap it just means upscaled to 1080p or whatever, I'm sure. :p

Ryu1999

If they include Arcade Tekken Tag in this version's "Arcade History" mode, I'd be in love. If they then added online to both DR and this proposed Tag port, I''ll join the SDF

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
jett said:
"Full HD"? Before japanese companies have used to this phrase to describe re-done next-gen graphics.

...but uh knowing namcrap it just means upscaled to 1080p or whatever, I'm sure. :p
I think thats what everybody here is interpretting it as. It's based off the arcade version, so it's probably that just @ 720p/1080p. Which I have no problem at all with. :)

Elios83

jett said:

Why? RR7 is 1080P native,60fps and from Namco.
There shouldn't be any problem to run a PS2 game in 1080P.

Dante

jett said:

I'll take that, if it means their resources are being dumped into a Next Gen Soul Caliber.

hyp

this news made me happy yesterday, and it's making me happy again today. thank you namco!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mark Gonzales said:
At least this explains the trailer they showed at E3 :)
Yeah, I know. That Tekken 6 trailer looked almost like an ultra mega high-end Wii game in HD or something. Awful showing, that was.

My only fear about this..well not really fear but concern anyway, is that Sony is so freaking anal about information and NDAs that we will never know until its out.
They are still very very bad about interacting with the community, and their NDAs keep alot of devs from telling much. ( Just ask Ninja Theory).
You would think that they would be hyping SNK coming to the PSN, and also you would think they would be hyping the next run of games hitting between feb and march.
This is definitely something great, I would just love to see Sony run with it.

Dahbomb

jarrod said:
PSP ports to PSN/XBLA... keep 'em coming!
This isn't a PSP port, its an Arcade port. The PSP version is toned down significantly for portability.

This news almost makes up for the shitty E3 06 Tekken 6 trailer... almost.

jarrod

Banned
hyp said:
SNES, GEN, TG16 ports to VC... what's your point?
That XBLA/PSN/PSP multiplatform R&D may save the latter platform's future. Lumines was a nice start (if a bit flawed on the landing) but I'd like Exit and the Rockman remakes myself.

hyp

jarrod said:
That in the future XBLA/PSN/PSP multiplatform R&D may save the latter platform's future. Lumines was a nice start (if a bit flawed on the landing) but I'd like Exit and the Rockman remakes myself.

that's fair... i just thought it was another attempt to derail a PS3 thread, which i've been seeing way too much of since the launch.

Azrael

Ceb said:
Capcom should make MHX2 and MMPU2 for PSN. :)

That would be great, but considering how poorly they sold on the PSP, I don't think Capcom is going to touch those spinoffs again.

Very few gamers will buy remakes of the old MegaMan games with the anthologies available, upgrades or no.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I want to make sure I get this right:

1-Tekken 5 DR PS3 and Tekken 6 are most likely being developed in Parallel

2-Tekken 5 DR PS3 will only be available via PSN marketplace as a downloadable game and so will be no larger than 500MB

3-Tekken 6 will be a retail Blu-ray PS3 game

4-Tekken 5 DR PS3 is a port of the arcade game not the PSP game

5-a demo of Tekken 5 DR PS3 will be available on PSN soon

6-these games will have online play

Can someone correct whatever mistakes I might have made?

jiggle

Kleegamefan said:

The only real thing is #4, i believe

this was what duckroll posted:

Tekken 5 DR - PS3 Download Service - Release and Price undetermined

- Jinpachi is playable and there are many new elements added
- Full HD graphics
- Based on the arcade version
- Modes include Arcade battle, Ghost Battle and Gallery modes

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Kleegamefan said:

Don't expect online play. Especially if they're listing ghosts as a feature. Online play isn't happening. VF5 isn't going have it either. :/

Kleegamefan said:
I want to make sure I get this right:

2-Tekken 5 DR PS3 will only be available via PSN marketplace as a downloadable game and so will be no larger than 500MB

1. Not completely parrallel as DR is already completed since it's an arcade game, it will be a 1080p version of the arcade game with extras though.

2. The 500MB limit is actually arbitrary and can be exceeded if truly needed.

3. Seems like a given.

4. Indeed.

5. Maybe not.

6. Questionable at this time but signs point to no.

kevm3

This is one of the things Sony's getting right... Give me a high def Soul Calibur 3 as well, with updates to the fighting system via patches to balance everything.

Dahbomb

Yes, that goes without saying.

I don't think Tekken 5 DR is the type of game that is capped by the 500MB limit. It doesn't apply to Tekken but for other simpler games. Definitely expect it to be over 500MB.

That goes without saying. Yes.

Yes, definite yes.

We can't confirm this to be true. It hasn't been stated as such.

I seriously doubt Tekken 5 DR will have online play but it will have online functionality like Ghosts. I don't know how Tekken 6 will play out though, I REALLY hope for online on Tekken 6.

kevm3 said:
This is one of the things Sony's getting right... Give me a high def Soul Calibur 3 as well, with updates to the fighting system via patches to balance everything.
Soul Calibur 3 arcade version on the PS3 would be AWESOME!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Just checked how much the Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection arcade data disc weighs in... it's about 3.59 GB. Don't know exactly what that will mean for this download, but I'm guessing it will end up being at that # if not more.

Top Bottom