• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 5: Dark Resurrection (PS3) out NOW NOW in USA and OH CANADA YOU HAVE IT TOO

kevm3

Dahbomb said:
Soul Calibur 3 arcade version on the PS3 would be AWESOME!

If they updated the graphics how Tekken Tag Tournament was on PS2 and kept create-a-character in, I would be in heaven. Soul Calibur 3 is one of the few games I'm willing to pay microtransactions for if they offer some interesting new accessories. I spent tons of time making my own characters.

Eiji

MarkMan said:
Just checked how much the Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection arcade data disc weighs in... it's about 3.59 GB. Don't know exactly what that will mean for this download, but I'm guessing it will end up being at that # if not more.

Maybe Sony can use some sort of texture and sound compression to bring down the size of the game for the PS3 and PSN.

Anyhow. Can't wait for the 1080p T5: DR goodness.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
That's what I'm hoping for. In all honesty as long as it looks as good as the arcade I won't complain. I've been waiting for this for awhile. Having Tekken DR tournaments in the future is all I want.

:)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
DR and Tekken 5 run off System 256 hardware. System 246 was pretty much a PS2, the 256 is an 'enhanced' PS2 pretty much. Much like the System 12 vs the System 11.

I don't see an arcade port being a problem on the PS3 at all.

this is why I upgraded my 20GB PS3 to a 100GB PS3. To not worry about managing HDD space and be more relaxed about downloading content such as this without worrying about deleting it later to save space.

I hope this turns out as a success and catches on with other arcade games from Capcom, Sega, SNK ect...

thumbs up Namco for their initiative on bringing Tekken 5 DR to the PS3. Hopes for many more arcade downloads in the future :D

gutter_trash said:
I hope this turns out as a success and catches on with other arcade games from Capcom, Sega, SNK ect...
Yeah, I really hope so too. It would be awesome seeing the newest Guilty Gear as a downloadable game. IMO, it would be great if developers started porting their arcade games (don't have to worry about making too many console addition, except for posting online scores, adding difficulty settings, etc.) to PS3 and having them as downloads (like fighters, vertical shooters, etc.). That would probably make PS3 my favorite console.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Seriously. If more companies decide to port arcade games, not just fighters... it would be heaven.

I don't care if its PSN or XBLA!

I just wanna see more stuff LIKE this!

jiggle

I kinda wish there's no download size limit at all, so companies can release some PS2 games in HD (specifically FFXII and SotC), instead of simply arcade games.

RaijinFY

jiggle said:
I kinda wish there's no download size limit at all, so companies can release some PS2 games in HD (specifically FFXII and SotC), instead of simply arcade games.

Huh, not really possible. There's a reason to the download size limit.

Dahbomb

jiggle said:
The download limit size doesn't apply to PS2 games, it applies for a different tier of games on the PSN.

that's great news, Id fully support that if I had a PS3.

If you recall, a few years ago, it was mentioned/ rumored by IGN that with the release of Ridge Racer 6 on PS2 (which never happend obviously) Namco would provide a downloadable version of the original Ridge Racer with updated graphics. I dunno if that meant updated graphics from the PS1 version, which had already been done, as a 60fps high-res, better textured, better lit demo that came with R4, or a graphically updated version of the original System22 arcade game.

at any rate, I wish Namco would look at its entire catalog of 3D arcade games from 1993 onward, and bring the best ones to PS3. online Tokyo Wars would be heaven :D and I want Alpine Racer 1 and 2... the list goes on and on.

Oneself

Tekken5 DR = best downloadable game ever.

I really hope Namco will start a trend with this.. I'd love to see a 720p edition of Virtua Fighter 2 (arcade version) or an updated Sega Rally 1&2 downloadable for 5-10$.

It would make an awesome bonus as well with VF5 or next gen Sega Rally in wich they could give you a code (different for each copy). When you purchase the (related) arcade games on the PSN, it would ask you to enter a coupon code.. if you got one, enter it and you get a free download or something like that.

Jim

Oneself said:
I really hope Namco will start a trend with this.. I'd love to see a 720p edition of Virtua Fighter 2 (arcade version) or an updated Sega Rally 1&2 downloadable for 5-10$.

That would be the best idea ever, especially if you tossed Daytona 1/2 or Scud Race/Super GT into the mix, and probably Fighting Vipers.

jakeellis01

MarkMan said:
Just checked how much the Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection arcade data disc weighs in... it's about 3.59 GB. Don't know exactly what that will mean for this download, but I'm guessing it will end up being at that # if not more.

hmmm.... I quite frankly can't imagine myself getting on PSN and download a 3.6GB game! Thats quite insane imo. Well I hope they do leave both tekken5 stages and tekken5dr stages (unlike the psp version)

I also hope namco realises that tekken fanatics will pay good money for the actual hard copy of the game coz i would definetly pay good money for the blu-ray copy of this. still exited that its gonna be somehow released on ps3 (i was quite sure that this would only be an arcade/psp game and this news really got me by surprise).

Regarding onine tekken.... I cannot imagine this happening.. tekken requires practically realtime eye-to-hand coordination. Very little lagging would totally change the vs battle. Frame disadvantage ahoy! Don't know if anyone thought about this but any hardcore tekken fanatic would definatly know what I mean.

didn't 3rd strike and lots of other 2D online fighters require "real-time hand eye coordination"? Obviously, they didn't play exactly as they did offline, but it wasn't horribly broken or anything (assuming good connections of course). And the fact that you had human opponents to fight against 24/7 more than outweighs any online gameplay adjustments.

Who cares if it plays slightly differently online...it's not like anyone's saying remove offline VS. play.

Oneself

jakeellis01 said:
I also hope namco realises that tekken fanatics will pay good money for the actual hard copy of the game coz i would definetly pay good money for the blu-ray copy of this.

What they need to do is TEKKEN COLLECTION HD on blu-Ray.

Tekken, Tekken 2, Tekken 3 (arcade & PSone versions)
Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 4, Tekken 5 (arcade & PS2 versions)
Dark Resurrection (PSP & arcade version)
Bonus: Tekken GBA and Death by Degree

60$ + and I'm in for sure.

jakeellis01

Oneself said:
What they need to do is TEKKEN COLLECTION HD on blu-Ray.

Tekken, Tekken 2, Tekken 3 (arcade & PSone versions)
Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 4, Tekken 5 (arcade & PS2 versions)
Dark Resurrection (PSP & arcade version)
Bonus: Tekken GBA and Death by Degrees

60$ + and I'm in for sure.

you're a very intelligent human being

jakeellis01

soul creator said:
didn't 3rd strike and lots of other 2D online fighters require "real-time hand eye coordination"? Obviously, they didn't play exactly as they did offline, but it wasn't horribly broken or anything (assuming good connections of course). And the fact that you had human opponents to fight against 24/7 more than outweighs any online gameplay adjustments.

Who cares if it plays slightly differently online...it's not like anyone's saying remove offline VS. play.

Imo Tekken is different from any other beat-em-up game... every frame counts! I think namco tried and tested this already and ended up doing the ghosting thing which eventually was harder to think of and program. Tekken needs "nextgen" bandwith to make decent online battling. I may be totally wrong, just saying out loud what I think about it.

For a feature that wasn't a certainly 6 months ago, the downloadable games aspect of the PS3 is turing out quite nice indeed.

It made my wishlist 6 months ago but I never expected to have this much activity for it, this quickly-- and didn't expect big games like this, either.

Jim said:
That would be the best idea ever, especially if you tossed Daytona 1/2 or Scud Race/Super GT into the mix, and probably Fighting Vipers.

Daytona USA
Manx TT Superbike
Daytona USA 2: Battle On The Edge
Daytona USA 2: Power Edition
Sega Rally Championship
Sega Rally 2
Scud Race/Super GT
Scud Race Plus

and every single Model-2 and Model-3 racer, be it from Sega or a licenced 3rd party
(i.e. Jaleco's Model 2 Super GT 24H)

Wow, this IMO already blows anything away that Nintendo or Microsoft has offer via downloadable content. I'm all for it. I really hope this trend continues because this will take the PS3 to new heights imo. This will probably also build excitement up for Tekken 6.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jim said:
If i could get power stone @ 1080p, with maybe some online support. I would be in heaven!
not sure how it would compare to the classic DC controller, but it would be better than nothing at all. Theres a load of potential with the PSN, they just got to play their cards right.

GeoramA

The fact that it's a 3rd-party developer is a pretty damn good start. It would be so awesome if we get to download Soul Caliber, Katamari, Ace Combat, etc all in HD.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I can totally see Katamari as a download. Let's just hope it's successful and third party developers continue to support online downloads like this one!

The only thing I'm worried about now is a reliable PSX/PS2 controller to USB adapter that will work with all my joysticks!

I'm looking at you Hori. :)

Bah, who am I kidding, I know I'm gonna end up buying 2 x Virtua Sticks and 2 x Hori Real Arcade Pro 3s.

reminder

tk509.jpg

tk523.jpg

tk502.jpg

Much more screens here: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061208/tk5.htm

Sho Nuff

Banned
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The HD really shows off the PS2-level textures...

But what the f*ck ever, I will buy this on the same day that I buy a PS3.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Reading the watch impress site, says the download size comes at around 800MB. Still no Date/Price yet. :(

Anyways, can't wait to play as my good pals eddie and armor king with a little mix of dragunov. ;)

Just reminds me of how good Tekken 5 still looks in progressive scan. Not to say that this doesn't look good, but textures are :-/

EDIT: Actually, for any of you that have played Tekken 5 in progressive mode... does this really look that much better? Looks the same to me. I know it's DR, which is an upgrade obviously, but as far as visuals go, it's not really that big of a leap is it? T5 looks GOOD on my TV.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Zaptruder said:
Now this is next-gen downloadable content :p

They just raised the bar...makes what Microsoft offers look a bit bad in comparison, although this game isn't going to have online play.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
JeffDowns said:
Just reminds me of how good Tekken 5 still looks in progressive scan. Not to say that this doesn't look good, but textures are :-/

EDIT: Actually, for any of you that have played Tekken 5 in progressive mode... does this really look that much better? Looks the same to me. I know it's DR, which is an upgrade obviously, but as far as visuals go, it's not really that big of a leap is it? T5 looks GOOD on my TV.
Tekken 5 is 480p right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Srider said:
Hey, it says the game will be around 800MB's and no online play.

"online opposition failure" <- gotta love Babelfish.

A much smaller download than I'd have thought. There goes the suggestion they're capping at 500MB, though. Seems it's a very open question as to what they would limit the size to.

DTJAAAAM

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I'll end up downloading this so I'll have something to keep my PS3 busy until Virtua Fighter 5.

Jim

How the hell did they compress down a 3.59 GB arcade version to 800MB? That's like the size or smaller than a native PS3/Xbox 360 demo. I'm sure they cut out the CG, but still...

Also, nice to see it supporting widescreen even though the original was 4:3.

Top Bottom