• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2017 |OT|

Because in the end Demare is acting in the middle of the road and going fast, while Sagan pushes Cavendish into the barricades.

Demare gave Bouhanni a choice of brake or crash. It's the same situation as with Sagan and Cav. The only difference is that Cav is more stubborn than Bouhanni.

Ergo, you punish both or neither.

Joni

Demare gave Bouhanni a choice of brake or crash. It's the same situation as with Sagan and Cav. The only difference is that Cav is more stubborn than Bouhanni.

Ergo, you punish both or neither.

Cavendish didn't have the option of braking or moving out of the way.

Joni

You totally miss the point. It's that Demare caused a situation too. I don't understand why your dislike of Sagan makes you overlook other dangerous riders.

I actually like Sagan, although he makes the fight for the green jersey boring but he makes stages like the one on Monday interesting. But he has to be punished for dirty moves which he knows better. He is at the age where he should have switched full-time to a Greg Van Avermaet like role, going for the classics and more difficult rides as he is no pure sprinter.

Because he was in too tight a spot and coming up behind Sagan?
You're just contradicting yourself now ...

If you are driving on the freeway on your lane and someone cuts you off, that is your fault? That is what happened here.

The italian National Jersey is really nice. Might have to buy one even though i am cornish!

Nicesy Jersey i seen in a while, goes really well with Aru's Red Argon Gallium.

Fonds

I actually like Sagan, although he makes the fight for the green jersey boring but he makes stages like the one on Monday interesting. But he has to be punished for dirty moves which he knows better. He is at the age where he should have switched full-time to a Greg Van Avermaet like role, going for the classics and more difficult rides as he is no pure sprinter.

If you are driving on the freeway on your lane and someone cuts you off, that is your fault? That is what happened here.

- so he makes the fight for green boring, but isnt a pure sprinter... right.
- on the freeway, in a car, you have turn signals to indicate where you're going. And in a general sense, arent racing others. This is just a bonkers metaphor.

some of the hate for quinatana stems from the fact that for even cycling fans, wining the tour is all that matters. it's quite sad reading about "lukewarm" performances given all that he has accomplished in the last five years. i can understand not liking him as a person, not liking his riding style, even not liking his fanbase but to try and argue that he's lukewarm? gtfo

Did you see this year's Giro? Quintana was terrible. He wouldn't cooperate, he wouldn't attack. Terrible for the show, and the result was more than he deserved.

teepo

Did you see this year's Giro? Quintana was terrible. He wouldn't cooperate, he wouldn't attack. Terrible for the show, and the result was more than he deserved.

i clearly remember his finish up blockhaus and his many attempts at attacking solo during every mountain top finish despite the odds being more against him after the unfortunate police motorbike incident that removed some of the strongest climbers out of either the gc or the race entirely. he arguably did more than he should've during the giro and it's more than showing atm

and are you seriously discrediting his podium finish after it being his third straight grand tour? mind you, three straight tours with two podium finishes while wining one in a superb showing.

i mean, just look at this shit and he's only 27. there is nothing lukewarm about quitana outside of unrealistic expectations

Joni

- so he makes the fight for green boring, but isnt a pure sprinter... right.
- on the freeway, in a car, you have turn signals to indicate where you're going. And in a general sense, arent racing others. This is just a bonkers metaphor.

As I said before, he takes a lot of points in not-sprint stages, by going over the first mountain or by taking victories like Monday. It is how he wins the green jersey when Greipel wins four stages two years ago. Are you going to try and say he is a pure sprint with the speed of Kittel, Greipel and the likes?

Fonds

As I said before, he takes a lot of points in not-sprint stages, by going over the first mountain or by taking victories like Monday. It is how he wins the green jersey when Greipel wins four stages two years ago. Are you going to try and say he is a pure sprint with the speed of Kittel, Greipel and the likes?

In a stage with a flat arrival Sagan isn't going to be the favorite, that's true He's a more well rounded sprinter though.
Where Sagan can take points during stages, do uphill sprints and compete in regular sprints, the others such as Kittel and Greipel will only show their speed in picture perfect sprint arrivals.

I guess it's a definition of what you feel a sprinter should be.
In 2015 Froome won one stage and took the yellow jersey home. It's the same issue really. If you want to win either the green or yellow, you have to be the most well rounded in your class.

Joni

It is a sprinters competition. It should reward sprinters. It is like winning the mountain jersey with average performances on each out of category mountain. And yes, Froome looks like a boring winner because he is calculating and doesn't take stage wins unless he needs to. And the stuff you are seeing as advantage to Sagan, aren't sprinter stages. It is the terrain of people like Greg and Gilbert. That is the type of people he should compete with. But it is not the show of people going 60-70 km per hour in a huge explosion of strength.

Fonds

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.
In a show of force it is much more interesting to see the sprint competition being fought at the finish line.
As it stands however, for both the yellow and green jerseys riders are being rewarded for averages instead of peak performances.
And both Sagan and Froome are making clever use of that fact.

Slight beating of a dead horse, but here's final proof that Sagan didn't elbow Cav. It was Cav's handlebar pulling on Sagan's arm.

0ExFYV2.jpg

edit: now even Dimension Data's boss admits his mistake.

Mistake done. Wrong for me to put out an uninformed, biased opinion. Should have waited for Jury decision and just shut up. Lesson learned.
https://twitter.com/RolfAldag/status/882696977733083137

Fonds

I wonder if ASO will ever admit to their error in judgement.
The call was made way too soon and shortly after the Dimension Data teamleader spoke to them, without hearing other arguments.
I know the French like to 'laissez faire', but we're talking about multi-million investments.

Hope they'll learn to take decisions like these with a bit more care from now on.

It's not a sprinter's jersey, it's the points jersey. It's up to the organisers how they want to weight it. Sometimes, they give lots of points for flat finishes so that the best pure sprinter wins, like in 2011, when Cav got it. But mostly it's set up so that best all rounder will take it.

Having said that, Sagan is so good all-round that he even wins the jersey when it is set up for sprinters, because he can take points in the pure sprints and win all the intermediates and uphill finishes.

He's obviously not a pure sprinter though.

Joni

It is why they were clear enough not to reference the elbow, but the endangerment in general.

We decided to disqualify Peter Sagan from the Tour de France as he endangered some of his colleagues seriously in the final metres of the sprint which happened in Vittel.
In every sprint something happens, but what happens there, it looks like it was on purpose and it almost looks like hitting a person.

Tour de France is a fucking mess. Last year Froome was running without his bike , this year we have a no sense DQ... What the fuck.

Froome was funny. That was pure frustration.

Addnan

What exactly was BMC doing yesterday btw. One of the guys on the Cycling Podcast joked Porte never really left Sky.

Joni

What exactly was BMC doing yesterday btw. One of the guys on the Cycling Podcast joked Porte never really left Sky.

Either they were stupid and were scared someone like Gilbert would take the yellow jersey when Sky let everyone know they would not defend the jersey. Or they were very smart and forced Sky to keep the yellow jersey so Froome loses a lot of recuperation time each day by going for the mandated extra stuff.

Joni

You know, there is something bad about this sport when someone like Patrick Lefevre has problems getting sponsors.

Fonds

The others were too busy fending eachother off.
Smart move by kittel to make a clean break for it by himself.

Joni

Damn, no doubt who is the fastest sprinter in the Tour.

The Court of Arbitration of Sport (Cas) issued a decision rejecting an urgent request for provisional measures filed by the Slovak cyclist Peter Sagan and the Denk Pro Cycling team in the afternoon of 5 July 2017.

Going slightly off topic, Claudia Cretti, a cyclist for the women's team Valcar - PBM had a terrible crash during today's Giro Rosa stage. She was going over 90 km/h on a descent and crashed hitting her head. She's apparently in rough shape. Cycling is a dangerous sport, lads.

Joni

And damn that sprint between Kittel and Boasson Hagen. That is a tie. That is a tie with the red line.

I really love a big long and wide stretch of road to allow for trains to build and battle. It's such a fun thing to watch.

That said: there was a lot of build up to a very straight forward finish in terms of no behind the pack surge. Though I have to wonder if part o the plan here was for the trains to completely push and blow up other teams. No idea why FDJ led so heavy there only for Demare to not have a shot at the finish.

Wow, how do you separate that?

Strange sprint, it's almost like the finish came before everyone was expecting it. Everyone went very late after that last little corner.

Top Bottom