• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Ultra Street Fighter II outsold Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite first week in the UK

MvC: I is the first Marvel fighting game I haven't been hyped for. And yes, SF5, the crappy roster, and the lack of communication on this title play a big part in that.

I'll still likely pick it up on sale this fall.

As a person who buys a good amount of FG's, I forgot this game was coming out. UMvC3 and SFV already left a bad taste in my mouth and Dragonball Fighters Z is being made with a better IP from a superior developer in the same gameplay niche. Tekken 7 and Xrd are more than filling my FG needs right now.

Not gonna spend 60 bucks to be let down by Capcom. Again.

By tanking the sales of two of their most popular franchises in the most recent iterations?

Unless they're trying to fail they don't know what they're doing.

the-producers_0.jpg

Someone photoshop in some Capcom execs' faces.

MvCI's art style is inconsistent???

I'd call it a lot of things. But inconsistent is not one of them.
Compare characters like Morrigan and Chun to Monster Hunter and Gamora, or Dante to Dr Strange. Its like they were done by two sets of people that never looked at what the others were doing.

Oregano

Exactly. But let people continue acting as if that never happened, that Switch was a guaranteed success and that there's a 3rd party conspiracy hell bent on not giving Switch owners the games they so rightfully deserve.

Whilst it's true that they had reasons for choosing the wrong option, they were still wrong.

More than anything it's clear at this point they had no contingency or ability to adapt which is much more damning.

Even EA has announced a new Switch game at this point.

The next investor's meeting is going to be awkward.

Someone at capcom clearly had no faith in the switch despite it being a nintendo console which doubles as a handheld.
Even if they waited until launch they would have realised quickly that they made huge mistake, yet here we are at the end of the year and they are still making mistakes.

crash-14

There is still no word of a Switch version of MVC:I

ebMd1jF.png

It must be said that Capcom had an amazing opportunity with the Switch and they blew it.

Flashback:

Are you implying that MvC:I would have performed better on the switch? Just because the most iconic fighting performed well?

Are you for real?

USF2 was blasted for being a premium port of a ten year old XBL game that was a port of a 25 year old SNES game with the added bonus of having the worst motion controls ever. Also it was emblematic of Capcom's disdain for the Switch.

USF2 didn't have it easy at all.

It's not even close to "No X-men" "Chun-li's face"... That headlined websites and made journalist write about why people shouldn't buy MvC:I.

I won't be the one to say Capcom doesn't deserve this.

Switch wouldn't have saved this game. Like people have to want the game before it can be saved by a new platform. You would probablt get a better Japanese performance and maybe a bit better in the US but like you wouldn't have anything extraordinary.

I dunno why people feel that the system can save an utter bomb from utterly bombing. The game released the same day as a Pokken port and had its lunch stolen :/

PixelatedBookake

It's not even close to "No X-men" "Chun-li's face"... That headlined websites and made journalist write about why people shouldn't buy MvC:I.

I won't be the one to say Capcom doesn't deserve this.

Why did people get mad about the bolded? That wasn't even Capcom's fault.

WestEgg

Are you implying that MvC:I would have performed better on the switch? Just because the most iconic fighting performed well?

I think all the Switch owners (myself included admittedly) are just having a bit of schadenfreude glee at Capcom's expense, since we're all still salty about their lack of support in general.

Other than the obvious graphics, bad artstyle, and mostly rehashed roster from 3, the gameplay of this one is my favorite. It is a shame since this game really deserved more love and care to it.

MvCI's art style is inconsistent???

I'd call it a lot of things. But inconsistent is not one of them.

Chris, Ryu and Chun-li(maybe Morrigan) imo are the only ones that look 100% like they belong together in the same game.
Captain America is like a complete cartoon version compared to even the other Marvel characters.

Monster Hunter actually looks like a high quality rip from a next gen Monster Hunter versus the rest of the roster being edits and downgrades.

Spy

A Switch port wouldn't have done anything for this game.
I think it would have. Ultra Street Fighter II bombed on Metacritic but still sold well.

Never underestimate how much the user base of a new gaming platform will purchase during the first year when there's not many choices.

andymcc

Banned
For the next Mahvel fighter (if they do one), they should look at what that Dragon Ball game is doing with their art style and do something similar.

Go full Jack Kirby retro style with heavy cel shading and all

I would assume Disney is wanting the characters to look more like their film versions than classic Kirby.

Ivan 3414

Yeah I doubt a switch port would've magically saved this game.

A Switch port wouldn't have done anything for this game.

Considering the Switch is allegedly "starved for games" and looking at USFII's great performance, theres no reason why Capcom shouldn't have ported Infinite to the Switch. Maybe it wouldn't have "saved the game" but it would have been easy money that Capcom's dumbass didn't capitalize on.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
A switch port, while probably selling more than the XB1 version, wouldn't have saved this title. Capcom's and Marvel's incompetence doomed it from the start

It would have at least gotten them some more sales though

There are more to graphics than just the technical aspect as a side note. I feel like people just look at the level of detail in Infinite and are like "hey the modeling is better than MvC3 and gens apart from TvC, yall are blind". Those games have coherent art direction which helps mask some of their technical shortcomings.

No one is claiming those games have better graphics. They are claiming they look visually more appealing. Which personally, yeah I think they do.

conpfreak

I am really worried for the future of Capcom at this rate. They seem to have poisoned the well with so many of their franchises at this point, if Monster Hunter doesn't become a huge hit the company's days might be numbered.

Yeah, I'm worried about MH World because I don't think it will be the sales hit they want it to be, and it absolutely should have been on Switch in the first place.

ec0ec0

The difference in visual (not just character models, which people keep bringing up, but also effets, which are more noticiable in motion) and audio presentation, can be seen in every f*cking move characters do.

They even ruinned bionic arm (visuals and sound).

18-Volt

The way Capcom has been treating the Switch proves they have no idea what they're doing.

Frankly, none of Japan's big 5 don't know what the hell they are doing right now:

Namco: Just one big Switch port, absolute nothing else. And they're going with "test the audience" crap, any other potential port depends on Xenoverse 2 sales. (there is a 3DS port too but I'd rather not talk about it)

Konami: Bomberman R was one of rare games that made Konami some serious money in recent years, but they don't seem to have anything else for the platform.

Square-enix: Ports that make no sense (I Am Setsuna) rather than ones that do (Final Fantasy XII HD). And they even haven't localized all their ports (DQ Heroes I & II just to allow PS4 version to sell more).

Sega: I can't believe they're the best one among the Big 5 actually. They're bringing 2 ports this year and they are simultaneous release rather than useless late ports. Kudos to you, Sega.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, I'm worried about MH World because I don't think it will be the sales hit they want it to be, and it absolutely should have been on Switch in the first place.
MHW has a lot stacked against it in the first place. If it doesn't at least reach 4.1 million sales (something 3 previous my games have managed on a near yearly basis).

The whole purpose of the escapade comes into question.

Phloxy

They need a much better demo than that terrible story mode one they already have. All my casual fighting friends have already sworn their money to DBZ Fighters over this.

Top Bottom