• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Ultra Street Fighter II outsold Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite first week in the UK

Metalmarc

As I'm a proud Switch Owner - Ha Ha.

Hopefully though, we still get Streetfighter Arcade Collection for our PS4s (and Switches)

tkscz

TGKbddK.jpg

3v0KSSs.jpg

Riiight.

This is nonsense.

This did not help your argument at all.

ZeroX03

Banned
This series doesn't deserve such low sales. Such a shame.

It certainly does when Capcom does a half-assed attempt. Presentation wise, the game is terrible.

I'd rather they use UMvC3's aesthetic, buffed it up, made it 2v2, stones, etc. Rather than what we have now. Infinite is frankly, embarassing.

Metalmarc

Whats the odds on a new X-Men vs game? that would be sweet, so many characters to choose from

X-Men vs Tekken or something?

Raw64life

Don't particularly care whether the game comes to Switch or not but as much as I used to love the MvC series I'm glad to see this game bomb. I hope this shitty business model they're using for SFV and MvC continues to fail and fail hard.

Sponge

Banned
I think it's hilarious that MvC3 had a Vita port but a Switch version of MvCi is out the question.

This alongside the Megaman Collection, Disney Afternoon, and Okami, It's like Capcom doesn't want easy money.

Whats the odds on a new X-Men vs game? Thats be sweet, so many characters to choose from

X-Men vs Tekken or something?

0 until Disney gets the X-Men back, which is never.

I think it's hilarious that MvC3 had a Vita port but a Switch version of MvCi is out the question.

This alongside the Megaman Collection, Disney Afternoon, and Okami, It's like Capcom doesn't want easy money.

I doubt sales of MVC:I for switch will be great either, its just not an appealing game.

Maybe its a matter of opinion but as you can see , many in this thread feel that it does . I will say many else where think that its unappealing too and that could be one of the reason for its poor sales performance.

I don't think MVC looks appealing at all, which is why I skipped it, but I also don't think TvC looks any better, technically or artistically. There is nothing in that screenshot of TvC that stands out as looking dramatically better than MvC:I.

I feel at this point people are just looking to take whatever shots they can at the game, even if it does come down to subjective opinion. I'd love to actually know what it is about TvC's art style save for the character portraits that looks better than MvC:I there, as I'm really not seeing it.

The Wii U burned third parties mega hard. A lot of people weren't expecting Nintendo to rebound as they have with the Switch after that disaster.

The end of the marvel vs capcom series D:
Looks pretty fun actually, watched angry Joe stream it and the story looked ok

I'll pick up a copy on black Friday but all these reports are not good

KHlover

Banned
Good lawd did that guy actually think the second pic was from Infinite? People just turn into nutjobs when it comes to that game.

I agree, it doesn't help my argument at all...if you suffer from glaucoma.
Tells you a lot about how ugly the game is when people confuse it for an uprezzed Wii game.

I can't say USFII is an appealing game either, but hey it sold decent.

I have no idea how USFII sold so much either so maybe you have a point.

I don't think MVC looks appealing at all, which is why I skipped it, but I also don't think TvC looks any better, technically or artistically. There is nothing in that screenshot of TvC that stands out as looking dramatically better than MvC:I.

I feel at this point people are just looking to take whatever shots they can at the game, even if it does come down to subjective opinion. I'd love to actually know what it is about TvC's art style save for the character portraits that looks better than MvC:I there, as I'm really not seeing it.
Its really subjective but i will try....

For me the artstyle of MVC look mismatch , Characters model does not look cohesive and have those "unreal engine" look to it , Characters also looked uglier than their other iteration.

TVC have a consistent great art by Shinkiro that translate perfectly into the game models. YMMV deepening on whether you like his art style or not though.

SgtCobra

Even a Switch port couldn't save this game's sales, and you guys know it.

Because Sony probably paid for it, and porting PS3 to Vita was very easy, at least that's what Spny said back then.

Hot take response: Not surprised since Switch owners buy everything to justify their new console. Even that overpriced rendition of SF2.

Reasonable response: This should have and could have been a bigger game release but either Capcom was gotten by the balls again by Marvel's release schudle or something.

Seriously hope they don't just drop this game and treat it similarly to KoF14 and even FFXV in some regards. Focus on cleaning up the game visually while supporting the base that stuck with you... Then again they have yet to fix a lot of the simple visual glitches in SFV so -shrug- I have a feeling this game is dead on arrival.

The Wii U burned third parties mega hard. A lot of people weren't expecting Nintendo to rebound as they have with the Switch after that disaster.

Exactly. But let people continue acting as if that never happened, that Switch was a guaranteed success and that there's a 3rd party conspiracy hell bent on not giving Switch owners the games they so rightfully deserve.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be sad when Capcom finally gives up and 2D fighting regresses back to the mid-2000s. Hopefully SNK stays strong.

I haven't bought Infinite either. Every time I watch footage and get hyped, I remember how little fun I had with MvC3 and stop myself.

jett

D-Member
Not being able to tell the difference doesn't help your argument.

Tells you a lot about how ugly the game is when people confuse it for an uprezzed Wii game.

That only tells me people are insane.

The backgrounds for Tatsunoko haven't aged well, but the characters have much more style and are much more readable

rSwwu.jpg

Yes, amazing character models.

I mean, wtf? Alex in this game looks like complete garbage.

Exactly. But let people continue acting as if that never happened, that Switch was a guaranteed success and that there's a 3rd party conspiracy hell bent on not giving Switch owners the games they so rightfully deserve.

Nothing would have saved Infinite besides not being Infinite honestly. Right from the second they revealed it I knew it was over for them. Can't present a game that fucking ugly and hope the casual buying base will be down. The roster and other things hurt it too but, it's just ugly and there are a million other better looking products out there.

Hero

You've clearly misunderstood my point- The US, Japan, Germany and France are all stronger than the U.K. for Nintendo, but there are many other territories that are weaker than the U.K. for Nintendo. I replied to a post saying that the UK was 'the weakest' which, considering there is over two dozen territories in Europe alone, clearly isn't true unless you only count the handful of biggest territories for games worldwide like those listed above.

Gotcha. I still think it would be accurate to say that of the non-China big markets, the UK is Nintendo's weakest territory.

Remember when someone asked one of the guys behind MvCI about the possibility of a Switch version and the guy just laughed it off?

I wonder if a Switch version would have helped sales.

The marketing for this game has been basically non-existent, while modern looking Switch games are getting all sorts of headlines (like DOOM, Skyrim) so yeah, I think it would have helped quite a bit by basically creating free marketing. Well I guess not free, since they'd have to spend money to port it. But you know what I mean.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This series doesn't deserve such low sales. Such a shame.
Over the last gen and a half I've watched every single one of my favourite franchises be sent to die on arguably one of their better iterations (PGR4, MvC:I), or become constricted and misshapen to lose what made them special in the first place (Halo 4+).

And I wonder why I'm losing interest in gaming as a whole. It's such a great hobby because of all of the passion it engenders, but not without the occasional or eventual heartbreak when circumstances change. Not all good things last forever.

I still hope MvC rises back up to being the celebratory and bombastic franchise that everyone can see hidden in the gameplay. But at this point, how many strikes can Capcom get for different situations before we acknowledge that this problem is not going to go away anytime soon, even if they're getting better at it. The Capcom brand isn't tarnished and without going above and beyond the status quo, it will continue to decay. That's a difficult thing to grip with, and I feel like I should know better given what happened with PGR, but man, here's to waiting another 6-10 years I guess.

King_Moc

Banned
What an absolute shambles. After SSFIV's performance at launch on 3DS, you'd think SFV would have been a priority for them on Switch, or indeed MVC. They've passed up so much money here you cam only assume heads ate going to roll for it.

Phoenixus

All the more reason to try out cheaper ports for the first half a year of the new machine's life, instead of risking higher investment. Capcom sort of did this with USF2 but missed the boat spectacularly with their other games. Even if Switch had been a WiiU level of sales failure those two game collections would have made enough to justify the porting cost.

Gbraga

Man, I wish TvC got a rerelease. :C

I don't think it looks great, but I really like the roster and the mechanics are really cool and weren't all reused by Marvel 3, so it plays in a unique way in the series.

Hero

That only tells me people are insane.

rSwwu.jpg

MvCI's character models are technically higher but the art style and inconsistency is atrocious. X and Rocket look like they were ripped from two completely different games.

You may be able to trash the backgrounds (which are a mixed bag for sure) but the games modeling is still good and the art gets a lot out of them especially for a system with literally 100x less power.

It's like, you gotta go to this extent to convince people infinite doesn't look like trash. The fact this is a discussion is reflective of how poor a job Capcom did.

It aint like people want the game to look ugly bruh.

StormKing

Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Capcom doesn't know what they're doing. They know exactly what they're doing.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I mean Capcom was a big supporter of the 3DS which did well for so it wasn't that odd of an expectation.

USF2 only exists because SSF4 shipped a million on the 3DS. So this game's omission wasn't some sure thing when it's predecessor had a vita port.

Not saying I agree with the overall notion but it's strange to think Capcom of all publishers were way waaaaay too pesistic of the switch.

iMerc

Probably throw it on Switch in 2019. Can't be too hasty. A joined-up thinking company like Capcom needs to test the waters.

you're already giving Capcom way too much credit.
what they'll will do is actually NOT port MvC to switch, but instead port USF2 to ps4/xb1. lol.

that's how they'll solve this problem, lol.

in a ll honesty though, it's too soon to tell how this will do in the long run.
it could have long legs. let's wait and see.

Either capcom are making something new and exclusive for switch which will be revealed early next year or they are crazy.
Why are they passing up so much money? They have always supported nintendo handhelds and they have so many fans which own the console but they seem way behind this time.
And this is in the u.k, nintendo's worst market by far.

King_Moc

Banned
Hot take response: Not surprised since Switch owners buy everything to justify their new console. Even that overpriced rendition of SF2.

I've got 17 Switch games. I've never bought anywhere near that many games for a console only 6 months from launch. It simply has a lot of good games, and people are buying into the portable home console aspect.

fhqwhgads

I am really worried for the future of Capcom at this rate. They seem to have poisoned the well with so many of their franchises at this point, if Monster Hunter doesn't become a huge hit the company's days might be numbered.

Alienous

Let’s dispel once and for all with this fiction that Capcom doesn’t know what they're doing. They know exactly what they're doing.

By tanking the sales of two of their most popular franchises in the most recent iterations?

Unless they're trying to fail they don't know what they're doing.

Top Bottom