• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Ultra Street Fighter II outsold Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite first week in the UK

Capcom has problems, sure, but I expected Marvel to do something to push the game. It looks like they grabbed the license money, bitched endlessly about the roster and that's it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ike Perlmutter (the guy in charge of Marvel's non-film divisions) was directly responsible for many of the game's issues - the man has a vendetta against Fox and is an infamous penny-pincher. Disney tore away control of Marvel Studios away from him because nobody there wanted to work with him.

Usobuko

Banned
The MCU audience does not necessarily crossover with those who want to play as a super obscure Capcom character from the 90s.

Correct.

A lot of posters on GAF don't realize the cultural shift in the early to mid 00s and further cemented by social media dominated by American companies.

Tldr: If it looks Japanese, it's going to be niche rather than mainstream. There are very few to nil exceptions.

This doesn't mean MvCI isn't a shit product that failed to even get their own fanbase onboard.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well damn.

USF2 opened at 17K in Japan, MvC:I doing less would be pretty pathetic.
Tbf major fighters don't open all that much more in Japan these days (40k ish range). ARMS is literally the biggest fighter over there outside of smash currently.

farting

Banned
people really think forums shitting on the game is the reason is bombed? you are really overestimating the influence of places like neogaf and other internet forums. the bigger factor is marketing and i don't recall seeing a single ad for marvel here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hope MVCI really does tank to show Capcom we don't want their half assed bullshit.
Someone mentioned this in another thread, but SFV had great presentation but shit modes/content, and MvC:I has the opposite.

You can fix that, but you can't fix bad word of mouth and people simply ceasing to care when you make poor first impressions or, worse, your game becomes a meme.

Capcom deserves this. A shit product (in terms of visuals, presentation and modes) deserves shit sales. Capcom needs to learn that if they want NRS-levels of sales they have to allocate more money and better resources (read: no outsourcing) to their fighting games.
In terms of modes, MvC:I is absolutely not lacking. Has one of the best tutorial modes out there too IMO.

I'm not really surprised that Infinite is selling poorly. Not much marketing is one thing, but the presentation is utter dogshit. MvC3 was stylish and looked and sounded fantastic that gen and still looks fantastic now. Infinite just looks and sounds bland and soulless, and that's not even considering the bad character models.

It didn't help that Dragon Ball FighterZ completely stole the Infinite's thunder with a vastly superior presentation that makes it look like the devs actually gave a shit.
Sound is something we probably don't cite enough, but yeah, that's a huge contributing factor to the game's lackluster presentation.

people really think forums shitting on the game is the reason is bombed? you are really overestimating the influence of places like neogaf and other internet forums. the bigger factor is marketing and i don't recall seeing a single ad for marvel here.
The game didn't have character tutorial videos come out until the days before an after launch, staggered.

No individual character trailers, they were lumped together, destroying what was one of the most hype marketing cycles for MvC3.

The roster leaked, people didn't need like it.

They failed to communicate big features like online training mode were in the game until people found out themselves.

They fixed Chun-Li etc., but didn't communicate it poorly. The funny Ono thing barely made news, which was sort of an appropriate way to handle it, but it was underreported.

It's a colossal disaster for what is a pretty good package all things considered.

FSLink

Banned
Naw man. The game is pretty fucking ugly. Tge art is not good. I was watching my fighting games buddies play it a few days ago. It's not a looker. Granted it shows much better in motion with shit flying everywhere compared to in stills.

We ended up booting Tatsunoko vs Capcom up after and like, if that game was rendered in HD it would be the better looking game. Art is way way better.

Infinite plays really well though.
Art is better but TvC has some awful looking stages and textures.

If only MvCI could have had cel shading. That would have helped a lot.

Maximo

I was going to post Hawkeye...but this'll do

You:

credit-capcom.jpg

Vs the guy she tells you not to worry about:

giphy.gif

Injustice 2 puts Infinite to shame.

yROBtxv.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, MvCI deserved better than what Marvel did to it.

I haven't followed the game's development. But considering it was developed by Capcom, who half assed SFV, I'm thinking the blame largely lies with them.

What exactly did Marvel do to the game?

Surfside

Banned

Well you also have instagram, snapchat and the like which are the much bigger factor here. Imagine all those Chun Li images making the rounds.
I think this really had a negative impact on sales.
Becoming a meme and all.

Agreed, cel shading would have improved the visuals significantly. The reveal trailer not having cel shading was absolutely baffling to me, it made all the characters look strange, like the devs forgot to turn it on.

And we know UE4 can do cel shading just fine, even at a basic level, nevermind amazing shit like Arc's custom solution for DB FighterZ. I don't get it.

Art is better but TvC has some awful looking stages and textures.

Eh, the art carries it a lot better than you would expect. TvsC has pretty damn good modeling too. Stages are a mixed bag. I still largely think it's a more visually appealing game if yoh clean up some of the stuff the inherent Wii sfuff.

Infinite just looks like dog shit in stills. The second they did the reveal I had no clue wtf they were smoking design wise. It looks worse than UMVC3

Cerium

Can some kind mod please remove the second UK in the title now that they've added the first? It upsets my sense of OCD.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I haven't followed the game's development. But considering it was developed by Capcom, who half assed SFV, I'm thinking the blame largely lies with them.

Marvel said no X-Men to a franchise that started with X-Men vs. Street Fighter, and told them to deliver a complete game with a full story mode on the budget of one of Injustice 2's trailers.

Capcom damaged their brand with how poor SF5 was at launch and how bad early impressions of Marvel were.

Also Capcom silk won’t give a shit about Switch instead of at least getting on the ground floor with remasters.

Beartruck

Maybe they shouldn't have released the game with a boring roster that had some of the better characters locked behind dlc. I'd have probably Day 1'd it if all of the current dlc characters were in the base game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm sure the budget is on Capcom.
Correct. Marvel puts zero funding into the games. That's up to the publishers.

This is also why EA has an exclusive Disney license, as EA was willing to actually spend money and use high profile developers if they got one, unlike pitches from other publishers.

Phoenixus

Okami HD on Switch would probably outsell the other versions as well.

Same for Mega Man Collection and Disney Cartoon Club.

They literally have no idea what they're doing.

Yup. Two game collections with nostalgic NES games, and a Zelda-like artistic adventure with touchscreen-friendly functionality that all completely bypass a device perfectly suited to them? Jesus Capcom.

MBS

Banned
How about US and other territories though? I guess it did similarly bad, but some figures would help atm.

If Capcom keeps bombing like that, i expect a buyout from Tencent or so. They really need MHW and future titles exceed their forecasts, but i doubt it.

MouldyK

The MCU audience does not necessarily crossover with those who want to play as a super obscure Capcom character from the 90s.

They should have just made another SFvsMarvel as that way they might have had more recent Characters on their side.

Because Capcom ain’t been one for hit new franchises lately.

Blueblur1

In terms of modes, MvC:I is absolutely not lacking. Has one of the best tutorial modes out there too IMO.

I watched a buddy go through the Mission Mode. Unless I missed something there was no substantial tutorial. There a set that just goes over movement, basic attacks and the stones’ Infinity Surge and Infinity Storm. The character specific missions are just combo trials.

It’s a really poor tutorial mode, honestly. Xrd, KI, and Original Skullgirls still have a way better tutorial.

And when compared to the market leader - NRS - Capcom’s games are sorely in need of single player content. It amazes me that they haven’t yet realized their games need a repeatable single player mode a la MKX and Injustice 2.

Porcile

They have to be shitting bricks when it comes to Monster Hunter World. So much is riding on that game at this point.

jett

D-Member
Naw man. The game is pretty fucking ugly. Tge art is not good. I was watching my fighting games buddies play it a few days ago. It's not a looker. Granted it shows much better in motion with shit flying everywhere compared to in stills.

We ended up booting Tatsunoko vs Capcom up after and like, if that game was rendered in HD it would be the better looking game. Art is way way better.

Infinite plays really well though.
Marvel:
TGKbddK.jpg

Tatsunoko:
3v0KSSs.jpg

Riiight.

This is nonsense.

Jawmuncher

How about US and other territories though? I guess it did similarly bad, but some figures would help atm.

If Capcom keeps bombing like that, i expect a buyout from Tencent or so. They really need MHW and future titles exceed their forecasts, but i doubt it.

We won't have specifics for awhile. But the UK seems to give us a rough idea on the US just with a lot lesser in numbers of course. With all the data so far. 150K sold through is most likely the case with maybe MAYBE 1 million shipped if they got lucky with the marvel name.

Si2k78

This feels so wrong given how great and complete of a package MvC:I turned out to be. It's all the progress we've wanted from Capcom as a company, marred by a few bad faces (that got fixed, but who knows that when you have a shit PR department?) and recycled assets.

Have a shit PR department, brehs. Fail to communicate what's in your title until you learn about extra modes and features in leaked copies brehs

This is embarrassing. I have no idea who the fuck is buying USFII, not then, not now.

USFII is the ultimate nastalgia trip. Being on the switch just made importu multiplayer a blast. Both kids and adults love it. And being part of the luanch lineup, it has zero completion in he fighting games department. Those reasons may help explain why it sold.

Restricted the roster, leaving out anything they don't own the movie license to (X-Men, FF). Which is unfortunate because Doom, Mag-fucking-neto, Sentinel, Wolverine, Storm, Cable, Phoenix etc are all iconic MVC characters

Top Bottom