• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump admin sought to block Sally Yates from testifying to Congress on Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCSI

Reuters:

leaks are only bad when it looks bad for Republicans

House Team: Hey Senate, let's compete to see who can score the most hoops!
Senate Team: Sure!
IC (Rep): You both sure could use some ice cream, here's a nice big serving for you Senate. Here's some dippin' dots House.
Nunes (House): ...
House (Other team members): Hey, where did the ball go?
Nunes: I hid it where you cannot find it, I wont tell you where. Not until I get real ice cream!

Sephzilla

If/when Trump eventually realizes he's screwed I totally expect him to make one last desperate dictator-tier power play that will immediately get shot down. That or he will go on another Twitter rant that will finally get him banned

Otnopolit

This administration has a stunning talent for highlighting our extremely flawed government structure. This shit shouldn't be possible. I'm getting real worried that we won't see the light of this for a long time.

Then Nunes will close the investigation and blame it on Comey's lack of cooperation.

That won't stop the Senate or the FBI.

The bottom line is that hamstringing the Congressional intel committee isn't going to stop shit from coming out. It's ALL coming out.

That does seem possible. Maybe Comey could make a statement saying he believes the investigation is compromised and won't testify? Or is he forced to if they request him?

They can force him to show up, but they can't force him to talk. He can just reply that answering their questions would compromise the investigation.

I do half expect Comey to eventually say the committee is compromised.

Krammy

It will be straight out of Ace Attorney, and I need it to be live streamed.

XaqmYRa.png

I'm lost. What does this mean?
(CNN) House Intelligence committee Chairman Devin Nunes said Tuesday he has invited FBI Director James Comey to testify again before House investigators.

Nunes did not say when he expected Comey to testify, only that he had extended the formal invitation.

Nunes originally planned to have Comey and National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers testify in private Tuesday, but he canceled the meeting Monday.

Comey's second round of testimony touched off a partisan fight among House investigators into Russia's meddling in the US election, with Democrats saying they were angry Nunes canceled a public hearing with former intelligence officials, including former acting Attorney General Sally Yates.

Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said Tuesday that Yates had been preparing to answer questions about phone calls between former Trump National Security Adviser Michael Flynn and Russian officials.

RELATED: Calls grow for Nunes to step aside in Russia probe

Schiff said he only wanted Comey to testify if it was not behind closed doors.

"We certainly welcome the director to come back, but not in lieu of a public hearing," Schiff said.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/politics/fbi-director-james-comey-house-testify/

Sephzilla

Nunes stalling like this honestly does nothing in my opinion. It wont stop the Senate hearings or the FBI investigation. At this point I don't think there's anything he can do to stop the inevitable.

If/when Trump eventually realizes he's screwed I totally expect him to make one last desperate dictator-tier power play that will immediately get shot down. That or he will go on another Twitter rant that will finally get him banned
It could definitely be worse than that. He could start a war and then say you can't impeach a president in the middle of a war.

pestul

It could definitely be worse than that. He could start a war and then say you can't impeach a president in the middle of a war.
[Tinfoilhat]Or even think of the level that he has most of the support of the military. Why does he even need a war? He could make up some BS that the Government / IC is completely corrupt and against him and it must be taken over.[/Timfoilhat]

Chumley

Banned

This is my biggest fear and I'm kind of surprised he hasn't tried to do this yet. The American people are so profoundly stupid and fickle that even people angry about POTUS being a traitor will forget all about it if we're at war.

rjinaz

Thanks, but I meant what does it mean moving forward? What's Nunes trying to do?

I imagine trying to buy as much time as possible. Gives more time to try and figure out what might be said, talk to sources. Figure out how the WH wants to proceed and what they want him to do. Things like that.

I imagine trying to buy as much time as possible. Gives more time to try and figure out what might be said, talk to sources. Figure out how the WH wants to proceed and what they want him to do. Things like that.

I guess they don't care whether Nunes is buying time in a stupid way that casts suspicion onto himself, as long as time is being wasted.

Surfinn

Thanks. But doesn't calling for Comey/Rogers to testify again just draw more attention? Or does this just replace a more important meeting/testimony?

rambis

Banned

Its important to note that Nunes is trying to postpone this committees whole calendar until this happens.

Crossposting this from another thread
From Ryan Lizza at the New Yorker: HOW THE WHITE HOUSE AND REPUBLICANS BLEW UP THE HOUSE RUSSIA INVESTIGATION

Last Monday morning, shortly before the start of the hearing, a senior White House official told me, “You’ll see the setting of the predicate. That’s the thing to watch today.” He suggested that I read a piece in The Hill about incidental collection. The article posited that if “Trump or his advisors were speaking directly to foreign individuals who were the target of U.S. spying during the election campaign, and the intelligence agencies recorded Trump by accident, it’s plausible that those communications would have been collected and shared amongst intelligence agencies.”

The White House clearly indicated to me that it knew Nunes would highlight this issue. “It’s backdoor surveillance where it’s not just incidental, it’s systematic,” the White House official said. “Watch Nunes today.”

Sure enough, at last Monday’s hearing, Nunes asked in his opening statement, “Were the communications of officials or associates of any campaign subject to any kind of improper surveillance?” He continued, “The Intelligence Community has extremely strict procedures for handling information pertaining to any U.S. citizens who are subject even to incidental surveillance, and this committee wants to insure all surveillance activities have followed all relevant laws, rules, and regulations.”

The best thing we have going for us right now, is the fact that the WH is staffed with Ham-handed hacks.

Putting this all together, It seems Nunes is trying to discover if Trump or his team has been caught red handed on the phone with Russia, possibly thru improper or even illegal ways and then make that the issue. Regardless of whatever the content of the calls would be.

Thanks. But doesn't calling for Comey/Rogers to testify again just draw more attention? Or does this just replace a more important meeting/testimony?
Perhaps he's sure that Comey won't accept the invitation and just wants to appear impartial to the investigation.

Even if Comey did come, it would just be a retread of the previous meeting.

"I can't comment on that"

This is my biggest fear and I'm kind of surprised he hasn't tried to do this yet. The American people are so profoundly stupid and fickle that even people angry about POTUS being a traitor will forget all about it if we're at war.

People keep saying this because of what happened with Bush, but Bush was different pre-wars than Trump by a margain, and we're significantly more divided now, not to mention the failed wars of Iraq amd Afganistan are relatively fresh. If anything, it would result in a Vietnam situation, but probably worse

People keep saying this because of what happened with Bush, but Bush was different pre-wars than Trump by a margain, and we're significantly more divided now, not to mention the failed wars of Iraq amd Afganistan are relatively fresh. If anything, it would result in a Vietnam situation, but probably worse

Bush was his most popular between 9-11 and starting war with Afghanistan. It's not comparable.

Bush was his most popular between 9-11 and starting war with Afghanistan. It's not comparable.

Exactly, and before that he wasn't hated with passion by the left. The events in Florida left a lot of bitterness, but he hadn't done anything actively to wedge the left before 9/11. Hell, everything Trump does is divisive. A war would very possibly make red states jump to attention, but blue states would be probably even more emboldened to protest. It'd be like 'Nam x 100

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Bill Maher had Timothy Snyder on who did a great job of warning about this just this last week. Along with several tips for dealing with our current madness.

Full segment here.

With Trump dipping his toes with that mysteriously appearing Tax Return, Devin Nunes going to bat for him over "wiretapping", a history of hilariously impersonating a made up person... its only a matter of time. As the investigation(s) close in, a panicked Trump is sometbing terrifying to consider. It'll be the pivotal moment for 'Regime change'.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My guess is that sally was going to say she told Pence about Flynn.

They are trying to plan for the fallout on that.

So yeah we kept him on for three weeks, then made up a story about Pence not knowing about it, so we could make it look like that was why we canned Flynn and not the "fake news" Russian story.

That's what I was saying the day of because I'd already seen enough before to convince me that Pence is in the loop on everything.

Anyone seen the Spicer press on how he made the analogy that if Trump had a salad with Russia salad dressing thar it would automatically make it a collision with Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom