• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switzerland BANS minarets (!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenka

As some of you may know, the Swiss people voted today about a law banning all minarets from the country. This is already wtf-worthy enough to raise eyebrows around the world.

And the first results tend to show that the people accepted the change in law.

http://www.lematin.ch/actu/suisse/premiere-tendance-favorable-anti-minarets-197152

http://www.teletext.ch/TSR1/109-00.html

Seriously, I can't believe my very own people is THAT stupid. What in the world are they thinking ?

more links : http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/schweiz/minarett_initiative_hochrechnung_annahme_1.4079737.html

http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/schweiz/standard/Volk-nimmt-MinarettVerbot-an/story/31785289

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
iamaustrian said:
wow....just wow
and a big boo-fucking-hooo at my neighbours >:[

Well, at least Jörg Haider would've been proud of his neighbours if he was still alive :p

That said, this is completely WTFish.

G.O.O.

udc%2Ben%2Bsuisse%2B-%2Bmouton%2Bnoir.JPG

G.O.O.

Kurtofan said:
Aaaah Switzerland good ol' fashionned intolerance
http://annonces.lepoint.fr/content/system/media/6/20091007/photo_1254925717595-1-0.jpg[/IMG
This is the poster in favor of banning minarets[/QUOTE]
fucking WMDs

Dascu

On what grounds is this initiative founded?

I mean, if it's purely out of architectural reasons, then you might as well outlaw any type of building or construction that doesn't adhere to the "norm" (and who exactly decides on this?).
If it's out of religious reasons... Well. That's just opening a big can of worms. Not only that, but what if I build a minaret-ish tower on my house without practising the Islam inside. What are they going to do then?

This really seems like some bullshit tactic to pester muslims.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Kurtofan said:
http://annonces.lepoint.fr/content/system/media/6/20091007/photo_1254925717595-1-0.jpg

Looks like a combo of missiles and impaling spikes. Clever. :lol

i hate bees said:
So what? if they want to keep an architectural identity then fair enough, Mosques tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

you seriously think it's because of architectural identity?
:lol

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
i hate bees said:
So what? if they want to keep an architectural identity then fair enough, Mosques tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm surprised from the point of view that the papers were reporting only 20% in favour, but it is easy to forget that the Swiss are unbelievably racially intolerant.

iamaustrian said:
you seriously think it's because of architectural identity?

Yes and no, no doubt it's due to some level of 'intolerance', however they're not banning the Islamic faith or people from practising their religion, they're just saying if you're going to build places of faith then they have to be in keeping with the identity of the land. There's plenty of ugly buildings here which get denied planning permission for being an eye sore, I'm not saying I think minarets are an eye sore, but different strokes for different folks and all.

Kenka

8bit said:
I'm surprised from the point of view that the papers were reporting only 20% in favour, but it is easy to forget that the Swiss are unbelievably racially intolerant.

I actually thought for a long time that the racist whores of Europe were the Danes. I was SO wrong. Well, at least we are the most stupid country in Europe for the rest of the decade.

For sure.

Jacobi

Banned
minarets make a lot of noise, don't they? Might be a reason too... I don't really know how much noise they actually make though

Kenka

Neo C. said:
Seems like the Röstigraben is apparent this time.:lol

Yes. Röstigraben strikes anew. The Belgians must satisfied to see that they are not the only ones to not be able to agree on anything.

Riots incoming for sure. By clever and stupid people as always... :(

This shit will become scary, this will lead to severe misunderstandings among the populations :(

Walshicus

Kenka said:
I actually thought for a long time that the racist whores of Europe were the Danes. I was SO wrong. Well, at least we are the most stupid country in Europe for the rest of the decade.

For sure.
To be fair, lets not confuse racism with xenophobia.

Jacobi said:
minarets make a lot of noise, don't they? Might be a reason too... I don't really know how much noise they actually make though
Yeah, if it's become banned because of the noise I can see where they're coming from. But still, this is stupid.

G.O.O.

Kurtofan said:
yeah they surely thought minarets were some kind of missile silo...
And seriously, look at how evil that woman looks. They might as well put a black man with thick lips and a machete.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Kenka said:
Yes. Röstigraben strikes anew. The Belgians must satisfied to see that they are not the only ones to not be able to agree on anything.

This shit will become scary, this will lead to severe misunderstandings among the populations :(

yeah it's pretty apparent how the swiss french are a lot more liberal than the german and italian speaking parts... just look at that voting map, ouch.

at least i can be happy that my canton voted pretty much split down the middle... right...? :(

i can't vote or otherwise i'd have voted against the initiative.

Jacobi said:

i live right next to a huge church and the church bells are noisy and waking me up early every sunday morning when i want to sleep in. maybe i should start an initiative to get church bell towers banned too.

Neo C.

Kenka said:

it won't be as bad as people might think when it comes to the population. At worst, some muslims will stop to integrate themselves in the society, but most muslims in Switzerland aren't very deep in their belief.

I think it's just very bad for our reputation, and hopefully the Swiss people will regret their decision in the next five years.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
cloudwalking said:
i live right next to a huge church and the church bells are noisy and waking me up early every sunday morning when i want to sleep in. maybe i should start an initiative to get church bell towers banned too.

ill take church bells over a dude yelling into a loudspeaker any day of the week.

I'm all for hating religion especially the kind that comes from illiterate immigrants who usually are the biggest fundamentalists around compared to europeans but this makes things worse instead of improving them. Religion cannot be beaten by force, religion can be beaten with proper education and acceptance.

I got a question kind of OT but it has always been brought up by some of my friends when the topic been regarding muslim

what if I as a christian wanted to move to say some muslim country like, iran, iraq, or any other muslim country, do I have a church to go to?

here in sweden and other non muslim countries we build mosque so that the muslims have a place to go and pray, would the government in those countries do the same for us christians?

serious question, most of my friends would say no they wouldnt.. But is that really true?
I dont know anyone that is a muslim, so I wouldnt know.

Neo C.

fizzelopeguss said:
No one gives a shit. it's pretty ballsy tbh.
Of course it matters. It's always this way: First the Swiss voters thought they were right in their opinion, then they are like "well, it wasn't really ok, was it?", and finally they will get the chance to redone their decision. In the end, Switzerland will get it right, it's just bad that they can't get it right for the first time, and sometimes they need like four or five runs until they finally "get it".:lol

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
robertsan21 said:
I got a question kind of OT but it has always been brought up by some of my friends when the topic been regarding muslim

what if I as a christian wanted to move to say some muslim country like, iran, iraq, or any other muslim country, do I have a church to go to?

here in sweden and other non muslim countries we build mosque so that the muslims have a place to go and pray, would the government in those countries do the same for us christians?

serious question, most of my friends would say no they wouldnt.. But is that really true?

Christians in Muslim countries have the among oldest and original churches in the world. And are also among the earliest Christians. So yes, as a Christian, you'd not only have a church to go to, but also very great ones.

Forsete

Gold Member
fortified_concept said:
I'm all for hating religion especially the kind that comes from illiterate immigrants who usually are the biggest fundamentalists around compared to europeans but this makes things worse instead of improving them. Religion cannot be beaten by force, religion can be beaten with proper education and acceptance.

Yup

There are/were churches in Iraq at least. My brothers friend fled to Sweden from Iraq, his family are Christian Iraqis. Under Saddam they were allowed to go to church according to him, but when the Americans invaded everything went to hell and the church was blown up. His family also left Iraq.

Woodsy

Banned
robertsan21 said:

I dont know anyone that is a muslim, so I wouldnt know.

It's true, and they would probably kill you if you pressed the issue in places like Iran ans Saudi Arabia :lol

Zenith

Banned
i hate bees said:

"The proposal was backed by the Swiss People's Party (SVP), the largest party in parliament, which claims minarets are a sign of Islamisation."

"Islam is the most widespread religion after Christianity in Switzerland, but it remains relatively hidden.

There are unofficial Muslim prayer rooms, and planning applications for new minarets are almost always refused.

Supporters of a ban claim that allowing minarets would represent the growth of an ideology and a legal system - Sharia law - which are incompatible with Swiss democracy."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8385069.stm

it won't be as bad as people might think when it comes to the population.

"On Thursday the Geneva mosque was vandalised for the third time during the campaign, according to local media."

""This will cause major problems because during this campaign in the last two weeks different mosques were attacked, which we never experienced in 40 years in Switzerland.

"So with the campaign... the Islamaphobia has increased very intensively." "

Same source.

Goldrusher said:
Good.

Minarets don't belong in Switzerland.

neither do dem dirty coloureds, eh?

numble

Woodsy said:
It's true, and they would probably kill you if you pressed the issue in places like Iran ans Saudi Arabia :lol
It's not actually true, except Saudi Arabia, which is negotiating with the Pope to open a Catholic Church in their country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom