• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switzerland BANS minarets (!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Zenith said:
neither do dem dirty coloureds, eh?

according to this poster, nope:

leadseries_svp_poster2008s600x600.jpg

Dead Man

robertsan21 said:
I got a question kind of OT but it has always been brought up by some of my friends when the topic been regarding muslim

what if I as a christian wanted to move to say some muslim country like, iran, iraq, or any other muslim country, do I have a church to go to?

here in sweden and other non muslim countries we build mosque so that the muslims have a place to go and pray, would the government in those countries do the same for us christians?

serious question, most of my friends would say no they wouldnt.. But is that really true?
I dont know anyone that is a muslim, so I wouldnt know.
Some it's true, others it's not. It also depends a bit on what you call a Muslim countries. Due to history and geography a lot of Muslim countries contain large Christian minorities.

Zenith said:
"The proposal was backed by the Swiss People's Party (SVP), the largest party in parliament, which claims minarets are a sign of Islamisation."

"Islam is the most widespread religion after Christianity in Switzerland, but it remains relatively hidden.

There are unofficial Muslim prayer rooms, and planning applications for new minarets are almost always refused.

Supporters of a ban claim that allowing minarets would represent the growth of an ideology and a legal system - Sharia law - which are incompatible with Swiss democracy."

Still don't see a problem, yes it's pretty hardcore conservatism but they're not hurting anyone by doing this.

Noshino

i hate bees said:
Still don't see a problem, yes it's pretty hardcore conservatism but they're not hurting anyone by doing this.

Are you serious? Its on the same comment that you quoted!

Zenith said:
"On Thursday the Geneva mosque was vandalised for the third time during the campaign, according to local media."

""This will cause major problems because during this campaign in the last two weeks different mosques were attacked, which we never experienced in 40 years in Switzerland.

"So with the campaign... the Islamaphobia has increased very intensively." "

Same source.

Do you really not see a problem?

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
robertsan21 said:
I got a question kind of OT but it has always been brought up by some of my friends when the topic been regarding muslim

what if I as a christian wanted to move to say some muslim country like, iran, iraq, or any other muslim country, do I have a church to go to?

here in sweden and other non muslim countries we build mosque so that the muslims have a place to go and pray, would the government in those countries do the same for us christians?

serious question, most of my friends would say no they wouldnt.. But is that really true?
I dont know anyone that is a muslim, so I wouldnt know.

Tariq Aziz Foreign Minister (1983 – 1991) and Deputy Prime Minister (1979 – 2003) of Iraq during Saddam Hussein reign is a chaldean catholic (Wiki).

panda21

i hate bees said:

what is the reason for it though? its an indirect way to try and ban a religion.

i'm against religion but banning it is one hell of a dumb ass idea, especially when you choose them arbitrarily.

i hate bees said:

Most europeans hate conservatism. Hell, they'd even be "racist" against certain americans from the bible belt if they came here. It's not a matter of colour or ethnicity it's a matter of ideology.

Many middle age western europeans I've talked to grew up fighting against the moronic religious morals and superstitions of the previous generation and the last couple decades they felt like they're winning that battle. So when immigrants -in their majority illiterate and highly religious- come to their countries by the thousands it just feels to them like they're fighting the same battle all over again only this time it's way worse. If muslims become a majority in countries like Switzerland with low population their moronic religious ideology will prevail.

And for the record I'm all for this kind of "racism". We must stop them from spreading, both christian and muslim fundamentalists but the only way to do it is not through bans or force but integration into our society and proper education.

giga

Supporters of a ban claim that allowing minarets would represent the growth of an ideology and a legal system - Sharia law - which are incompatible with Swiss democracy.
:lol

tino

Banned
I thought this is fancy way to say "mine". But no! You guys are racist. That's it, I am banning swiss watch.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
xbhaskarx said:
Maybe the minaret ban is only until they allow church building in Mecca.

That's the same as having a Mosque or a Synagogue, built in the Vatican.

msv

cloudwalking said:
i live right next to a huge church and the church bells are noisy and waking me up early every sunday morning when i want to sleep in. maybe i should start an initiative to get church bell towers banned too.
Why not, those bells are so fucking annoying. They tug on them ropes like spastic monkeys here, for about, a dozen times a day I think. I doesn't serve any purpose other than a form of PR for the church.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I voted yes for that law agaisnt minarets. We already have one here where i live anyway ( one of the four in the country ) I dont want to see them poping everywhere.

harSon

Banned
fortified_concept said:
Most europeans hate conservatism. Hell, they'd even be "racist" against certain americans from the bible belt if they came here. It's not a matter of colour or ethnicity it's a matter of ideology.

Many middle age western europeans I've talked to grew up fighting against the moronic religious morals and superstitions of the previous generation and the last couple decades they felt like they're winning that battle. So when immigrants -in their majority illiterate and highly religious- come to their countries by the thousands it just feels to them like they're fighting the same battle all over again only this time it's way worse. If muslims become a majority in countries like Switzerland with low population their moronic religious ideology will prevail.

And for the record I'm all for this kind of "racism". We must "eliminate" them all, both christian and muslim fundamentalists but the only way to do it is not through bans or force but integration into our society and proper education.

This post is pretty fucking scary.

Dascu

Kandrick said:
I voted yes for that law agaisnt minarets. We already have one here where i live anyway ( one of the four in the country ) I dont want to see them poping everywhere.
Question: Do you know when those 4 minarets were built? If they've been there for a while, I don't see why people should fear for a sudden surge in mosques "popping up everywhere".

Coins

Banned
An expanding radical religion is very scary for people. The Swiss have a certain way of life and they want to protect that. I can understand where they are coming from.

What does it take to be a voting citizen in Switzerland?

Milhouse31 said:
Tariq Aziz Foreign Minister (1983 – 1991) and Deputy Prime Minister (1979 – 2003) of Iraq during Saddam Hussein reign is a chaldean catholic (Wiki).

Considering the chaos following the 2003 invasion and the massive influx of Iraqi refugees, Christian Iraqis no less, that's hardly an answer to Robertsan's question.

Saddam is out, so is Tariq. Parading religious minorities during Saddam's regime is not a reflection of today's Iraq.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Kandrick said:

Banning the minaret will only make the people feel like they have to hide their religion and is clear sign to them of their religious beliefs being less welcome than others'. I'm sure that Switzerland as a secularist society, does not and should not distinguish one religion from another.

This is just another variation of DEY TUK UR JERBS! syndrome.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Sir Fragula said:
Again, to be fair non-Swiss have a hard time integrating in Switzerland regardless of race.

if you have a hard time integrating into switzerland i think it's because you're making it harder on yourself in some way such as not learning the language or only hanging around with people in your own ethnic/race/language group.

if you can speak the local language (bonus points if you're in german-speaking switzerland and you speak a swiss german dialect) and are a productive member of society, i think most swiss people won't have a problem at all with you and are actually pretty friendly unless they just don't like immigrants in general. where i work we've got employees from all over the world, in fact probably half the staff are non-swiss, and we always get compliments on how great our people are.

a lot of non swiss get a bad rap here because a lot of them just don't integrate (and i am not just talking the usual suspects, americans, british, canadians etc are guilty of it too). they hang around in these groups of other expats or live in ethnic enclaves in the cities with no swiss people. i say let people live how they want to live, but a lot of the more intolerant people see this kind of behaviour as some kind of threat.

i speak swiss german with an accent and people notice that i'm not swiss, but usually they are really happy and proud when i tell them how much i love living here and that i love their language. if you're just easy going and make an effort i don't see how anyone could have a problem with you.

numble

fortified_concept said:

And for the record I'm all for this kind of "racism". We must "eliminate" them all, both christian and muslim fundamentalists but the only way to do it is not through bans or force but integration into our society and proper education.
This post is pretty fucking scary.

thefro

They really ought to ban all ballot initiatives... people are too stupid to vote rationally and you end up getting this garbage where you take people's rights away with a 51-49 % vote.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Jibril said:
Banning the minaret will only make the people feel like they have to hide their religion and is clear sign to them of their religious beliefs being less welcome than others'. I'm sure that Switzerland as a secularist society, does not and should not distinguish one religion from another.

Like i said, there is already a mosque here, which has a minaret too. They dont have to hide anything, its open for them to do their prayer and stuff.

giga

Kandrick said:
What's the difference between mosques without minarets "popping up everywhere" and mosques with minarets "popping up everywhere"?

Mob democracy is a scary thing.

Chrono

Banned
This is worth it just to see the hypocrites who don't give a damn about much worse restrictions on freedom of religion in the muslim world outraged about it.

harSon

Banned
fortified_concept said:
It's not if you read the freaking quotes, it's a metaphor for god's sake. I knew someone wouldn't get it.

Not really, a "fear" of losing majority rule to a minority group is thinly veiled bullshit no matter how you phrase it.

Speevy

Banned
Let's ban Roger Federer, swiss cheese, and watches of all types.

Haha what time is it now? We don't know. That'll teach you.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
If they were also banning the building off all other religious monuments and buildings, I would support this. But you can't pick and choose which religions to exclude. They should be getting rid of them all.

Neo C.

Kandrick said:
Even without the ban we had enough laws and rights to limit the size and the numbers of minarets. The ban isn't necessary (like half of the laws we have).

Cloudwalking said:
if you have a hard time integrating into switzerland i think it's because you're making it harder on yourself in some way such as not learning the language or only hanging around with people in your own ethnic/race/language group.
I still had to wait fucking 14 years until I could finally get the naturalization done. And a few years ago, the Swiss voted against a law to speed up the naturalization of the "secondos". :/

While the integration in work process and in society in general is much better than in other countries, we still fail in many aspects of integration.

cloudwalking said:

if you can speak the local language (bonus points if you're in german-speaking switzerland and you speak a swiss german dialect) and are a productive member of society, i think most swiss people won't have a problem at all with you and are actually pretty friendly unless they just don't like immigrants in general. where i work we've got employees from all over the world, in fact probably half the staff are non-swiss, and we always get compliments on how great our people are.

a lot of non swiss get a bad rap here because a lot of them just don't integrate (and i am not just talking the usual suspects, americans, british, canadians etc are guilty of it too). they hang around in these groups of other expats or live in ethnic enclaves in the cities with no swiss people. i say let people live how they want to live, but a lot of the more intolerant people see this kind of behaviour as some kind of threat.

i speak swiss german with an accent and people notice that i'm not swiss, but usually they are really happy and proud when i tell them how much i love living here and that i love their language. if you're just easy going and make an effort i don't see how anyone could have a problem with you.

Come on, Cloud, you of all people are familiar with the term 'visible minority'. You on the other hand blend in. That gives you an advantage over most darker immigrants. You could speak broken German and most locals would give you a break because you pretty much look like them. You're not a threat to them.

Do some visible minorities make it harder on themselves? Of course, but your personal experience as a foreigner is only a limited perspective on this issue.

G.O.O.

missbreedsiddx said:
If they were also banning the building off all other religious monuments and buildings, I would support this. But you can't pick and choose which religions to exclude. They should be getting rid of them all.
No need to find a way that would be acceptable. They don't want to get rid of churches, it's a populist party and it's clear that this decision comes from an anti-islamic state of mind. No matter how they'll try to justify it (they probably won't, though, they have the people with them).

Mr. Sam

I thought it might have been another word for Swiss army knives. Imagine my relief when I found out it wasn't. Phew.

giga

For some perspective, three of the four total minarets in Switzerland..

Zurich

436px-Mahmud_Moschee1.jpg

Geneva

6a0111685b4b71970c0120a548b0d0970c-800wi

Wangen bei Olten

800px-Moschee_Wangen_bei_Olten.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
G.O.O. said:
No need to find a way that would be acceptable. They don't want to get rid of churches, it's a populist party and it's clear that this decision comes from an anti-islamic state of mind. No matter how they'll try to justify it (they probably won't, though, they have the people with them).

Well that's what I mean. If they were saying "we need to put an end to religions ability to influence our behavior and start holding people accountable for their own actions and decisions and formations of morals and values. So we are going to stop building religious institutions as one of the methods of achieving that." I would understand and support that. But this isn't that, it's just a bunch of racist shits who have a history of being self serving cowards.

Zapages

Really Switzerland?! Stupid law. IMHO. The minarets don't even looks weird at all...

As for that video... Most people use them as symbolic instead of actually use them as in the video posted.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Kandrick said:

Out of curiosity - why don't you want to see them popping up everywhere? Do they offend you? Or are they not Swiss enough? If they are not swiss enough, what about other architectural things that were not born in Switzerland? To further that, how would you feel on a ban on Islam all together?

Zapages said:
Really Switzerland?! Stupid law. IMHO. The minarets don't even looks weird at all...

If they were fair, banning all church bells would be sweet. I used to live in front of a church, and it took me a while to sleep well on sunday mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom