• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Wolf Link to unlock a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD ?

To all "shitty practice" preachers ... do you own a PS4 or XBOne? Do you pay for being able to use an essential part of many games today, aka 'I bought GTAV on PS4 and now i can't play the online mode without paying."? Because that is much more anti-consumer than any optional content unlocked by a figurine. And no, free games i don't play or am interested in, or additional 5% discount on digital games i don't buy because i get my games on disc, don't change that.

Oh boy, i dread the day Nintendo decides to make their own Skylanders-type game.

And finally, there's always a chance that there will be an option to unlock this dungeon via the eShop after some time.

None the substantial content locked behind Amiibo thus far has been available separately.

What other games have done that? Splatoon? I personally have the Squid amiibo but haven't used it once, I don't really view the missions as substantial content and more of extras to play along side the main game, but I suppose its the closest example to this.

To all "shitty practice" preachers ... do you own a PS4 or XBOne? Do you pay for being able to use an essential part of many games today, aka 'I bought GTAV on PS4 and now i can't play the online mode without paying."? Because that is much more anti-consumer than any optional content unlocked by a figurine. And no, free games i don't play or am interested in, or additional 5% discount on digital games i don't buy because i get my games on disc, don't change that.

Oh boy, i dread the day Nintendo decides to make their own Skylanders-type game.

And finally, there's always a chance that there will be an option to unlock this dungeon via the eShop after some time.

I don't, and that's the reason why. Also, please don't serve me the "others do the same/worse" excuse. It's not.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Do you live in a world where DLCs don't exist? Because in my reality DLCs are real and plenty in gaming. And they are here to stay, because they produce a lot of money. And so are amiibo. Now everybody is free to buy or not to buy a DLC or an amiibo.

But people who want to buy a DLC or a amiibo of course are happy to get good content for that money, it's not that difficult to understand. If you don't want the amiibo or the content you can buy the game without it. In the same way you can buy a game without DLCs.

what if you want the content and not the amiibo

Because OoT3D and MM3D are close to a remake. And WWHD had more work on the technical side. TPHD ? A mere texture upgrade.

I mere texture upgrade to a game that had low poly textures as its primary critical complaint. Check out IGNs review from 2006 as an example. Play the Wii or Gamecube version of Twilight Princess and you'll notice how blurry and muddy everything looks. Twilight Princess needed a remaster like this before Wind Waker.

also

Banned
Just like the Link's Awakening DX Dungeon that only unlocked if you had a GameBoy Color?

Or the Oracle items that only unlocked if you had a GameBoy Advance?

Don't you think that you're over-reacting? Stuff like this has actually happened in Zelda titles before, and this is the cheapest variant.

LA DX was released 5 years after the original, try again.

Lol at comparing a literally useless ring to a dungeon.

No, people are not overreacting and stuff like this hasn't happened before in Zelda games. Amiibo locked content has always sucked and will continue to suck until they allow you to just buy it on the eShop. But hey, then they couldn't trick their fans into defending day 1 on disc DLC.

Ms.Galaxy

Okay so what if its not On Disk content and its in a update patch for the game then. Will you guys still bitch because we all had to download that content?
Just curoius.

Depends. Is the amiibo being used to carry this patch? If so then yes because I'm still forced to buy a physical figurine I might not want for the content. Give us options to download it from the eshop, or better yet, since it's already on the disc, allow us to get it through different means in game. Like getting all hearts, all poes, all bugs, something.

Nibel

Let's hope that if all of this is true the new content won't be just Amiibo exclusive and that they'll offer an option to pay for that stuff in the eShop or something; I just don't want to have to buy a cheap plastic figurine just to get some new game content.

I mere texture upgrade to a game that had low poly textures as its primary critical complaint. Check out IGNs review from 2006 as an example. Play the Wii or Gamecube version of Twilight Princess and you'll notice how blurry and muddy everything looks. Twilight Princess needed a remaster like this before Wind Waker.

Everything looks blurry because of the internal resolution. It's the easiest thing to do, check out Dolphin.

Dryk

What other games have done that? Splatoon? I personally have the Squid amiibo but haven't used it once, I don't really view the missions as substantial content and more of extras to play along side the main game, but I suppose its the closest example to this.
Hyrule Warriors has a moveset locked behind Amiibo
Codename STEAM* has four characters locked behind Amiibo
Mario Party 10 has a mode/board locked behind Amiibo
Shovel Knight has modes locked behind Amiibo

*Ordinarily I don't care about out-of-place characters/skins behind Amiibo but those ones all play very differently to the characters in the base game

JoeM86

No, people are not overreacting and stuff like this hasn't happened before in Zelda games. Amiibo locked content has always sucked and will continue to suck until they allow you to just buy it on the eShop. But hey, then they couldn't trick their fans into defending day 1 on disc DLC.

How is the release timing relevant to this?

Codename STEAM has four characters locked behind Amiibo

Yeah that is a practice like this
Codename STEAM ones wouldn't exist without amiibo
Mario Party's wouldn't exist without amiibo
Shovel Knight isn't Nintendo.

Jigorath

Banned
Locking content behind a plastic toy is dumb. Defending it is even dumber.

The content that is locked behind amiibo is almost always content that would not exist if not for the amiibo. It's a fallacy that people say they're locking stuff behind it.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

This isn't true. The textures were the issue, not the resolution.

Oh, I thought you meant the image quality, which, incidently, also looks muddy and blurry on the OG game when played on a 1080p TV.

Even then, it's still a texture upgrade, which fans have been doing over the years for TP too.

kadotsu

Banned

TP HD is released 10 years after TP. And stuff has often been locked in Zelda games:

-You needed to buy a GBA link cable to 100% WW (the link cable was more expensive than the amiibo)
-Ages and Seasons needed each other for 100%
-The rumble pack item in OoT "locked" content behind a peripheral
-MM needed an expansion pack

Ban Puncher

"Amiibo are shitty, they don't do anything substantial in-game."

"Amiibo are shitty, they do something substantial in-game."

fpt4vWJ.jpg

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A figurine that comes bundled with the game... for regular price and that will be widely available by itself.

I wish people would decide finally if they want amiibo to be more useful in a game or not. It's getting annoying, this constant back and forth.
OK, decided: I want Amiibos to be totally useless in all games and if anything just to unlock cosmetical stuff. I also don't want DLCs to ever happen, but if given the choice if something needs a download or an Amiibo to unlock, I'd prefer being able to buy a physical item to unlock the content always offline.

JoeM86

TP HD is released 10 years after TP. And stuff has often been locked in Zelda games:

-You needed to buy a GBA link cable to 100% WW (the link cable was more expensive than the amiibo)

Need 4 GBAs and 3 Link Cables, as well as 4 copies of the game (or friends) to get the new dungeon in the GBA Link to the Past.

Codename STEAM has four characters locked behind Amiibo

Mario Party 10 and Shovel Knight are the only questionable ones. Fire Emblem characters would not be in Code Name Steam if it weren't for their amiibos and they are completely optional. I can't say it wouldn't exist in Hyrule Warriors of it weren't for the amiibo but again it's just a small weapon that's completely optional. Shovel Knight kind of gets away as its a small studio that deserves the extra money and their character has some great appeal, though that doesn't warrant locking the mode away. I agree with Mario Party.

More than half people here probably not even going to play the game I bet. Reminds of the Mario Maker 9 days thing where people hollered and the game came out and they didnt even play it yet the game managed to hit over a million units regardless.

How dare you come in here and spit some knowledge?!

VariantX

So any form of paid DLC or add-ons is an anti consumer practice?

It kind of is specifically around amiibo. Because unlike other DLC, it's tied to a physical product with real scarcity which means you just made it a hell of a lot more inconvenient for folks to buy additional game content. If I decided I want DLC in other non Amiibo games I just go buy it on the marketplace and play it without having to worry. It's easy and more importantly, instant to purchase other types of DLC. I don't have to worry about scalpers inflating the prices, I don't have to worry about when what shipments are coming in, I don't have to worry about when packages arrive, I don't have to worry about which stores are selling what amiibo exclusively, I don't have to worry about where am I going to store this plastic thing that I don't give a shit about since I only wanted the DLC. That's a potential DLC sale lost if a person gets hung up on any one of those reasons, and it's a potential future software sale lost if a person decides they'd rather not deal with these things in the future. If you make it harder for folks to give you money, they'll go where it's easier to spend it.

I don't, and that's the reason why. Also, please don't serve me the "others do the same/worse" excuse. It's not.
Of course it's not. This is at most some sort of an altered Cave of Ordeals, and even the original Cave of Ordeals was optional as heck. You still get the 100% complete TP without the Amiibo.

You might as well prepare similar threads for all big Nintendo games releasing in the future for whatever platform, because this won't go away. Just as DLC on disc, Online behind a paywall, cosmetic microtransactions and game-flatrates from publishers won't go away, but get more common.

animal crossing amiibo festival
While basically true, i was talking about a more of a ... full content game of a genre, that is not minigame-collection or party game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Okay so what if its not On Disk content and its in a update patch for the game then. Will you guys still bitch because we all had to download that content?
Just curoius.

I would bitch more. Everything should always be available purely phyiscally. If it is not, then the only excuse I accept is "it is a small developer who can't do physical versions".

wrowa

I'd be fine with this if it was a new game. But it's not, it's just a remastered version of an old game. And judging by past Zelda remakes and remasters, Nintendo won't go out of its way to offer a significant amount of new content, so locking one of the likely very few new features behind an Amiibo paywall is absolutely a shitty move.

However, judging by the name it's just a new cave and not a dungeon, so it'll likely be not particularly fun or interesting either.

More than half people here probably not even going to play the game I bet. Reminds of the Mario Maker 9 days thing where people hollered and the game came out and they didnt even play it yet the game managed to hit over a million units regardless.

How dare you come in here and spit some knowledge?!
I've played it before and was considering buying it again.. I want to know how substantial the content is first.

I don't see how anyone can see this as great though, at best it is shady imo. Skins etc are fine.. But this is too much.

Also, the 'past game in the series did something so it is OK ' argument is poor imo.. As most of those are to be much more reasonable than this.

Oh, I thought you meant the image quality, which, incidently, also looks muddy and blurry on the OG game when played on a 1080p TV.

Even then, it's still a texture upgrade, which fans have been doing over the years for TP too.

I haven't seen a fan made texture pack that looks quite as professional as this, most of them disregard the original art style and pile effects on:
hqdefault.jpg

It's Twilight Princess but without mud smeared on the screen!

Now the Resident Evil 4 HD texture pack, that looks like it was done by a professional studio!
re4hd-village.png

Hasney

I mean, all of those added capabilities that the console/cart couldn't handle like having a second screen, lack of GB cart storage, rumbling (which could have been worked around, unlike the rest) and extra system RAM. This is just some plastic clutter that gives the game a thumbs up to unlock something.

I'm fine with paying extra to access it, I just don't want the crap. Although if the LE is sold out and it requires a single scan, I could buy it scan it and sell on eBay.

On a side note... am I crazy? Did Reggie age? He looks so much different now. I can't describe it.

Of course he aged, that was Gamecube times!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mario Party 10 and Shovel Knight are the only questionable ones. Fire Emblem characters would not be in Code Name Steam if it weren't for their amiibos and they are completely optional. I can't say it wouldn't exist in Hyrule Warriors of it weren't for the amiibo but again it's just a small weapon that's completely optional. Shovel Knight kind of gets away as its a small studio that deserves the extra money and their character has some great appeal, though that doesn't warrant locking the mode away. I agree with Mario Party.

Hyrule Warriors had a season pass already, and a new weapon in that style of game is essentially a new character which sucks to not have. I want the weapon. I do not want the amiibo. I can't just go on the eshop and buy the spinner, so I either buy the amiibo for this small piece of content or I miss out on getting something I was otherwise willing to pay for separately.

ramparter

Banned

You also needed a GBA and I didn't have one at that time.

Also let's not forget the SMB3 advance ereader levels.

Alpha_eX

Amiibo dunegon is a shitty thing to do, I'd much rather pay money and not have to own the little toy. I don't have space for all these Amiibos, I'd much rather the option for an Amiibo card that I could store in the game box.

sonto340

Sure I would be okay with this, hence why I'm okay with Amiibos in Mario Maker.
And yes, I wasnt aware of the Amiibo being sold separately but it fix only one part of the problem: Its not limited. But its still to be bought. I'm biased toward bad practices. I dont mind Amiibos being used to store data and such or unlock content that you can unlock without it.
Then what is the point of amiibo if there's not some incentive to buy them? Nintendo is a business.

I've played it before and was considering buying it again.. I want to know how substantial the content is first.

I don't see how anyone can see this as great though, at best it is shady imo. Skins etc are fine.. But this is too much.

Also, the 'past game in the series did something so it is OK ' argument is poor imo.. As most of those are to be much more reasonable than this.
Its pretty much just something extra mode you get if you buy more. Every game has that now.. DLC, hell even some people pay money to unlock online modes in games.

Hasney

Then what is the point of amiibo if there's not some incentive to buy them? Nintendo is a business.

Give options and make more money? Considering with DLC they ignore the retail chain, they could sell the DLC for less on the eShop and make similar/more profit. Some people are going to want the figure anyway because it's cool looking to them and it'll sell out regardless of the functionality.

FyreWulff

Wonder if it's going to be some sort of high score centric dungeon that will also be present in Zelda U, meaning you can rack up score and level up the Amiibo in either game, and switch one you play.

Its pretty much just something extra mode you get if you buy more. Every game has that now.. DLC, hell even some people pay money to unlock online modes in games.
That is the thing though, we aren't certain of what the content is. It it is something super small then fine, but u want to know how much content it offers.

I'm hoping Nintendo offers a way to get it without the Amiibo if it offers quite a bit of content

JediLink

"Amiibo are shitty, they don't do anything substantial in-game."

"Amiibo are shitty, they do something substantial in-game."
Alternatively, there's my camp of "Amiibo are shitty, I never want to buy one and I wish they would just go away." They've been easy enough to ignore until now but if Nintendo ever starts locking significant content behind them I'll have the same contempt for them as anyone else who does on-disk DLC.

Dr. Buni

Shitty if true.
Absolutely. Not buying any game that has meaningful content locked behind amiibos.
Except actual DLC (aka DOWNLOADABLE content) is sold in digital stores. Locking content behind stupid toys is nothing like DLC.

I haven't seen a fan made texture pack that looks quite as professional as this, most of them disregard the original art style and pile effects on:
hqdefault.jpg

It's Twilight Princess but without mud smeared on the screen!

Now the Resident Evil 4 HD texture pack, that looks like it was done by a professional studio!
re4hd-village.png

Sure you didn't yet, because it takes time... and as you said, professional are paid to do it. Now it's sold for 50€ and even then, it doesn't look good at all.

Top Bottom