• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Scott, Oculus Rift co-founder killed by gang trying to escape police

What the fuck? Fuck. RIP. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family, who will probably never be the same again.

"They ran through several red lights, including the one where they struck our victim," said Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.

The suspects were taken into custody.Police say all are gang members on probation, with outstanding warrants for their arrest. Sanchez is recovering in the hospital from injuries suffered during the crash. The two other suspects are not yet being identified due to the ongoing investigation.

I'm trying to restrain my anger, but fucking piece of shit scum bags. This guy was a genius and only 33 and he gets taken out by low life ganbangers with warrants who also got probation? Fuck this world. How the fuck did they get probation if they were gang members? Sorry, shit like this just pisses me off.

Hero

Completely tragedy. I hope he is at peace now. Fucking scumbag gang better be caught and tried with manslaughter.

Hex

Banned
Senseless and tragic loss.
My thoughts go out to his family and friends , and I hope that people can channel themselves to focus on this person out of respect and take the debates and all elsewhere.

Ashes

Banned
Sincerest condolences to his friends and family. R.I.P. fellow gamer. You were at the dawn of the next big shift in gaming, and you were one of those who held the key to the door.

Oh geez. It's not exactly the same but it's somewhat similar to how Gunpei Yokoi died. Tragic, especially since his design was getting recognized.

feel

FUUUUUUUUCK this is terrible!! :( :(

RIP man, thank you for your amazing work in helping make our childhood dreams of VR come true, I'll be rocking it as soon as it hits store shelves.

Wow, that is just insane. In the blink of an eye promise is extinguished. Feel sorry for all that knew him and had to hear this news.

Reave

Holy shit.

"Here today, gone tomorrow" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this news. Terrible.

Zaptruder

Banned
Crazy badness :(

Just saw Marc Laidlaw post this on twitter. So sad. :(

He co-founded the company.

Wasn't even aware of the dude until this moment - I guess he didn't like the spotlight at all huh?

He's certainly not listed as a co-founder in any place obvious, nor has Palmer shared the spotlight with him in anyway...

Brofield

Good God. I was having trouble sleeping tonight...

May his soul rest at peace, and his mind live on in the Rift. My sincere condolences to his family and friends in such a sudden and tragic time.

Jin

RIP.

Logged out of WoW all happy for getting some loot and the first thing I see is this. Condolences to his family :(

Zaptruder

Banned
Goddamn tremendous tragedy.

But very curious how come this guy is been credited as co-founder of Oculus VR?

AFAIK, only Palmer Luckey has ever been credited as the founder, and the page on their website doesn't mention Andrew Scott as a founding or core member.

Just a case of misreporting that get's amplified until no one questions it? Certainly, there's no reference to Scott as co-founder outside of this news story and its various reportings, that I could find.

Still, a tremendous and senseless tragedy.

Top Bottom