• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Scott, Oculus Rift co-founder killed by gang trying to escape police

News just doesn't get anymore fucking shitty than this. This guy was doing incredible, incredible work from what I've read and looked into about Oculus Rift. It was all coming together for him in what seems like an amazing way, and then to lose his life to some random bullshit like this is just unbelievably fucked up.

I had zero plans to buy Oculus Rift before, not because I wasn't intrigued by it, but because I didn't really feel I needed one. I need one now. I want to support the work this guy was apart of. Might be silly, but it's how I'm choosing to show my respect for the man.

Zoc

Wish people would start blaming those that cause the actual problems. This shifting of the blame to others is really disheartening.

I take some of it back. It looks like the cops weren't speeding or really "chasing" them, they ran a red light as the police were following them. That makes it pretty much entirely the criminals' fault. I do see stories where the cops chase someone like in a movie, and basically bear equal responsibility, but it looks like this isn't one of them.

Persona86

Banned
It's 100% the fault of the driver, but the police also probably should not be leading a wild chase through a busy area with pedestrians all around.

It's unfortunate on all accounts and I hope for a bright future to all affected by his death.

Yeah the police need to catch them, but I also have often wondered if it's best for the police to stop chasing them once civilians are in danger. The chase itself puts civilians in danger. They can attempt to get them another time.

I take some of it back.

If a killer jumps in his car in front the police, they should follow him at a safe speed, radio his location/direction, and have other cop cars cut him off. Not take off after him at a hundred miles an hour, jeez.

They can lose them on purpose and call in an undercover car to follow them secretly. Or stop the car chase once a helicopter spots them. I don't know there must be a less dangerous way to catch them. Of course the full blame is on the suspects, I'm just talking about changing official tactics here rather than shifting blame.

Stuff like this is why I have mainly authoritarian views on dealing with criminals, like these.

Just put them down like the animals they are.

_woLf

Just as much the fault of the police for participating in a god damn chase in an area with pedestrians. What did they fucking expect, that the criminals in the car they were chasing would be extra extra careful not to hit anyone or anything?

This. This is fucked up.

RIP. Horrible news :(

My condolences to the friends, family and colleagues of Andrew. The Oculus Rift has been providing me some of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, and I will be eternally grateful to everyone who worked on it. The only silver lining I can think of, is that Andrew helped bring something special into reality.

He deserved better.

Perkel

Banned
Holy fuck, RIP

Wish people would start blaming those that cause the actual problems. This shifting of the blame to others is really disheartening.

Yeah catching dudes is always more important than human lifes. SMH.

That was not "accident".

Daingurse

Sigh, the violence never ends. Very tragic. RIP Andrew. Live your days to the fullest Gaffers, life is unfair and unpredictable.

Oh my God, I can't believe how tragically unlucky the poor guy was :( May he rest in peace, I wish all the best to his family and may his legacy with the Oculus Rift live on for many, many years. Goodbye Andrew.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And to think the product he helped create, despite being in its infancy, already offers a clear view into the future of video game interaction and design. A tragedy that is only worsened by its awful timing. RIP. :(

Sad news. :(

Not only will he not see his creation really take off, but the world will miss out on whatever else he had wanted to create.

dunno what to say about this. It's so random. So many dreams that will not be fulfilled.

And the guys that killed him will not feel a single bit of pain or sorrow for taking his life...

Rest in peace

Seanspeed

Banned
It's sad that he will never see the fruition of his work... I truly believe the Oculus is the next great breakthrough in videogames and will have a huge role in shaping the future of the gaming industry and entertainment as a whole.
He did well in life, better than he will ever know.
Well put.

daveo42

Banned
This is truly sad news, not only for the gaming community for what he contributed, but for his family and friends who knew him best.

RIP

Top Bottom