• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Scott, Oculus Rift co-founder killed by gang trying to escape police

Wubby

Santa Ana? Makes sense now...place is full of gang activity these days. Has really gotten worse over the years.

Yeah years ago when I lived in the US my wife and I looked at apartments in the area. No way was I living in Santa Ana. Tustin wasn't too bad. Irvine is really expensive for the most part.

California jails are so packed they have to let these guys out on probation. Not much can really be done about that without a whole society change.

This is really horrible news. It's a sad loss for a young company and he sounds like he was a good knowledgeable guy. Same age as me too. Sad.

Scavenger

RIP

Goddamn tremendous tragedy.

But very curious how come this guy is been credited as co-founder of Oculus VR?

AFAIK, only Palmer Luckey has ever been credited as the founder, and the page on their website doesn't mention Andrew Scott as a founding or core member.

Just a case of misreporting that get's amplified until no one questions it? Certainly, there's no reference to Scott as co-founder outside of this news story and its various reportings, that I could find.

Still, a tremendous and senseless tragedy.

http://kotaku.com/oculus-rift-developer-killed-a-bystander-during-a-poli-510805442

Oculus CEO Brenden Iribe and chief software architect Michael Antonov issued the following statement to Kotaku about Reisse on behalf of all of their company :

Andrew was a brilliant computer graphics engineer, an avid photographer and hiker who loved nature, a true loyal friend, and a founding member of our close-knit Oculus family.

Some of us have known Andrew since college, and have worked with him at multiple companies beginning with Scaleform in Maryland which he helped start at age 19, then at Gaikai in Aliso Viejo which brought him out to California, and finally at Oculus where he was a co-founder and lead engineer.

Andrew's contributions span far and wide in the video game industry. His code is embedded in thousands of games played by millions of people around the world.

Words can not express how sorely he will be missed or how deeply our sympathy runs for his family

Andrew will always be in our thoughts and will never be forgotten. We love you Reisse.

They ran through several red lights, including the one where they struck our victim," said Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.

Tragic and senseless deaths like this one is why police officers are supposed to disengage from chasing a suspect if the chase clearly risks the lives of the public.

This is a tragedy that could've, and should've been avoided.

Seik

Banned
Sometimes you think someone deserves everything he gets because of karma.

And then you see free random shit like this that the guy never deserved and died for nothing because he only was at the bad place at the bad moment.

*Sigh*

R.I.P. man, you helped to contribute to a big innovation in gaming, thou shall be remembered.

fuck man.
As incredible as Oculus Rift is going to be, just remember that it was going to be even better no thanks to these shit eating scum bags.

My prayers and condolences to everyone that was close to him

Ryaaan14

Banned
I know any human life is invaluable, but I have to say this is a particularly horrible tragedy just because of the impact his work is going to have on the world. He will never get to see it come to fruition.

RIP

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Stuff like this makes me feel horrible. ;-( He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time...
R.I.P. Andrew.

Terrible news. My condolences to his family and colleagues. He helped create something that's turned out to be pretty special.

Alienous

It just highlights how random and catastrophic these events can be.

Hopefully his family, friends and colleagues are alright.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I know any human life is invaluable, but I have to say this is a particularly horrible tragedy just because of the impact his work is going to have on the world. He will never get to see it come to fruition.

RIP

Yeah. It really hits me hard when something I genuinely believe in is struck by something like this. I didn't need to know who he was to see that his work was going to bring about something great, and I never get emotional over this kind of stuff but it's hard to imagine this world with one less innovator in the field of my strongest interest.

:(

Top Bottom