• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big XBLA sale (Outland,Shank,Trial,Yars Revenge, Blade Kitten, Trouble Witches, more)

Ifrit

bubnbob said:
I'm sorry, I think you're in the wrong thread. This is the 360 thread. DRM issues are in the PS3 thread.

Just wanting to make sure the DRM was multiplatform or not

Brettison said:
Not near as good as the 1st. Not a bad game mind you. but there are much better games to buy on this sale. Better off with Moon Diver, Might and Magic, Outland, ilomilo etc... over this...

Definitely getting Moon Diver and Outland, I'll check the others though. I liked ilomilo but I don't know I have enough time to put on a puzzle game anymore :(

EDIT: Clash of heroes is discarded because it seems to be a gold exclusive offer, I'll pass

EDIT 2: Ilomilo also gold only? well that's the end of that

Dipswitch

Hmmmm. I like the look of Outland, but I'm not sure if it's one of those twitch platformers. No interest in playing it if I'll need to drink a 6 pack of Red Bull before hand.

Already have Outland, anybody that doesn't needs to buy it. So good.

Will probably use this deal to pick up Shank and Trials HD.

Ifrit

Got Rearmed 2, Outland and Moon Diver

btw MOON DIVER IT'S FROM THE CREATOR OF THE ORIGINAL STRIDER PEOPLE, AND SAME GENRE, GO BUY IT, NOW

I can't seem to buy anything. Getting an error. :(

It appears you've found a glitch in the system.

date: 9/27/2011 6:42:29 PM
code: 3A6C67D8C746C53
s: wI5GANt6yHWle1DHf5Cx9w==
id: d08e0fb7-1823-498b-834b-ace44e7fd566
req: 4e59ae22-cc81-424f-b78b-3f3cacae23b6

Edit - Hmm, outland worked. Still not ilimilo though.

Psychotext said:
I can't seem to buy anything. Getting an error. :(

Edit - Hmm, outland worked. Still not ilimilo though.
ilomilo was part of last weeks deal of the week, it has since expired even though it shows the sale price on xbox.com, its not part of this sale

Ifrit said:

btw MOON DIVER IT'S FROM THE CREATOR OF THE ORIGINAL STRIDER PEOPLE, AND SAME GENRE, GO BUY IT, NOW
The demo killed any interest I had in Moon Diver. Online consensus is pretty down on it too.

LuchaShaq

Banned
_dementia said:
Yeah, it's a week-long sale.

Perfect I bought 60$ worth of points a monthish ago for 40 but forgot them at a relatives house in an overnight bag.

Outland/Might and Magic/Star Raiders dang might get even more.

Gowans

eek5 said:
I'm kind of in Gowans' boat though. I bought ilomilo last week and haven't even touched it yet. I need to find more time :lol
Yup got gears to finish, next Forza and the onslaught of autumn games tho mainly Forza.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Moon Diver sounds like a classic Japanese game with a bit of modern inspiration. I've read how it can peter out in the long run, but I think I'll rather enjoy the majority of it quite a lot. I actually kept coming back to the demo, partially because of same-screen co-op, partially because it was just oddly enjoyable. Like those random PS2 releases that you'd get on a whim, that were oddly fun...

If someone told me I could get a multiplayer homage to Strider / Osman / Cannon Dancer for 7.50, with a bit of the RPG-ness I rather enjoyed in NES Strider mixed in for good measure, I'm in!

Or you could buy Sayuri, Harley, and Leviathan for Hard Corps Uprising (200 pts each) if you already have that, and play though that game again with a Strider-like, for the same 600 pts. Or buy Just Sayuri (200) and Moon Diver (600), and really get a bunch of Strider-like for 10 bucks!

Actually, these all sound like great ideas, lol. I was trying to figure out what I'd do with the extra 200 pts a 600pts game purchase would leave me with... Moon Diver itself also has 3 DLCs (1 free, 2 others 80 pts each, yes, they're all unlock codes..)

There's always the option to get some Indie Games as well... or hope that friday offers some 200 pts games...

Booshka

I was thinking of picking up one or two of these games, when I realized I haven't finished Limbo or Shadow Complex. I bought those for 600 points each when they were on sale. So, I need to finish them before I impulse buy again.

Great deals though, MNC and Trials HD are my two major suggestions. But, if you have a decent PC, get MNC on there, it is supported more and balanced better, and there is Super MNC coming. MNC is fun on 360 though, just has some performance and balance issues that haven't been addressed like they were on PC.

Rearmed 2 was one of my biggest disappointments of the last few years. They had a perfect base to build off but still felt the need to screw around with the most basic parts of the game anyway. Simon Viklund delivers, but he's just about the only part of the game that does.

GuardianE said:
I never got Rearmed 1. That's worth the sale price? It's officially on my radar. I never really played the older Bionic Commando.

Very yes. Great remake of a great game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Box of Bunnies said:
Rearmed 2 was one of my biggest disappointments of the last few years. They had a perfect base to build off but still felt the need to screw around with the most basic parts of the game anyway. Simon Viklund delivers, but he's just about the only part of the game that does.

Very yes. Great remake of a great game.

Ah, so it's actually a remake then?

mmxzero

Gonna have to try the demos out for Outland and Moon Diver.

I'm a huge fan of Bionic Commando Rearmed, story and challenge rooms, easily one of the best downloadable games. I was hooked on the challenge rooms, but was never able to beat the Final Exam.

As for Rearmed 2 the challenge rooms are where I got my money's worth of fun. There aren't as many rooms as the first Rearmed, but they're still great in my opinion. I came to really like the more loose grapple controls while playing these, BCR1 feels pretty stiff going back to it. BCR2s single player mode was boring to play through, and felt like I was forcing myself to finish it at times. The bosses aren't nearly as good as the original, the level design didn't stand out, and I didn't really care for the upgrades and other weapons much (should have kept is simple like BCR). So yeah, challenge rooms.

so far in for Outland, Islands of Wakfu, Trouble Witches and either The Maw/Star Raiders/Yar's Revenge. Decided I am getting 4 of the 400pt games, may also grab either Monday Night Combat, Shank or Clash of Heroes. Need to play some demos to make my final decisions.

Hoping the Friday sales are good as well...I've stock piled over 14000 ms pts over the year

GuardianE said:
I never got Rearmed 1. That's worth the sale price?

It's fantastic, so yes.

Leondexter said:
I hope sales are good, it would be nice to "train" Microsoft to have more sales.

While they're nowhere near the level of, say, Steam, Microsoft has been doing more and more sales as time has worn on -- so I think they've been seeing the benefit of doing so.

Gaspode_T

Dark Octave said:
Outland, Yar's Revenge and Islands of Wafku might be cool and I don't have them yet.

Are these worth my time?

Outland in my opinion is a must buy for any person that calls themselves a serious gamer!

Yars Revenge is fun to me...the story is kind of done with static art and subtitles, the talking during the frantic action is almost impossible to keep track of because it doesn't use voices, there are annoyances like that but at 400 pts I forgive those. Level 3 is set in cloud almost Ikaruga looking sci-fi city, so it's not all jungle levels. Basically it is using Panzer Dragoon/Rez type lockon mechanics but it's a little bit less polished and sometimes confusing to know how to keep your chain high, but as far as I have figured out you keep RT to kill weak enemies (chaingun), use RB to kill strong enemies which requires some interval in between to recharge (railgun? lightgun? don't remember what they call it), and then you have to stop chaingunning and use LT to lockon and fire missiles, so it really only makes sense for bosses or where there are lots of strong enemies. The achievements look 80% hard to get, one of them is going through a level without taking damage or something. There is a hardcore mode where you don't have the healing shields as another one of the achievements.

Islands of Wakfu ... play the demo, that's basically what the game is like, if collecting little gems scratches an itch for you it might be fun, I personally like the isometric art and don't mind the cheesiness, and there is also some sort of (French made???) cartoon that might explain the story better

I ended up buying Moon Diver, Shank and Serious Sam as well (gotta support my Serbian/Croatian bros for the latter).

I don't have MNC, I haven't ended up playing Section 8 that much although I really did like it a lot, so I probably just don't prefer FPS multiplayer that much over my other single player games...

I have a hard time filtering if Blade Kitten is getting hated on in the same way Comic Jumper was, what I played of the Blade Kitten demo didn't seem THAT bad, it was basically like Strider-ish jumping with a girl cat character. NES game mechanics aren't evil to me, I almost prefer that simplicity.

I was hovering over Ghostbusters and Blade Kitten but held off so far...I don't have Rearmed 2 either so more opinions there would be nice, I definitely probably will never get it at 1200 so...

Already have:
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Trials HD
Shank
Monday Night Combat
Section 8 Prejudice
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
Blade Kitten
The Maw
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter

Got:
Outland
Islands of Wakfu
TROUBLE WITCHES NEO
Yar's Revenge
Star Raiders

Still undecided about Moon Diver... convince me GAF.

N4Us

Better time for me to get Trouble Witches than never, I guess. Really wanted to try it out at release but other games were clogging up that date and I didn't get around to it.

eek5

Dan Yo said:
Why isn't this sale mentioned anywhere on the dashboard? How were people supposed to know about this?
If there was more than one square for this sale some members would complain about too much advertising lol

d0c_zaius

Ifrit said:

ouch thats rough, as I didnt like Moon Diver at all but loved Strider

Dan Yo

Banned
eek5 said:
If there was more than one square for this sale some members would complain about too much advertising lol
Was this mentioned anywhere else? How do people know there's a sale? Why aren't people even able to compile a full list of the things on sale?

Seems a ridiculous way to handle these things.

Gaspode_T

Dan Yo said:
Was this mentioned anywhere else? How do people know there's a sale? Why aren't people even able to compile a full list of the things on sale?

There is a square on Games Marketplace (second or third thing) that takes you to a list of the stuff on sale. It's not on Spotlight for some reason, maybe they will put it with DoTW when that comes out.

eek5

Dan Yo said:

Under marketplace there is a sale square where they usually display sales

Top Bottom