• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big XBLA sale (Outland,Shank,Trial,Yars Revenge, Blade Kitten, Trouble Witches, more)

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I was going to buy Outland literally two days ago, but settled on Ilo Milo (on sale for 400) and the Trials HD Big Thrills pack (400) instead.

Now I've picked up Outland for 400. I feel like a genius.

Chiaroscuro said:
Still undecided about Moon Diver... convince me GAF.

Don't do it. I played the trial and it was pretty horrible, despite the Strider heritage. I love Strider and Osman as much as anyone, but Moon Diver didn't grab me at all. It's a boring grindfest which doesn't really feel much like Strider at all.

Gaspode_T

Sometimes people judge games that cost as much as a McDonalds Value Meal with same standards as $60 games :p

Moon Diver seems pretty cool to me...I know some people hate on it when it was released too but whatever. I just still think if some of these games were released in 16-bit era people would have been having nose bleeds and other bodily fluid problems, it's easy to forget how far 2D games have come since then.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Gaspode_T said:
Sometimes people judge games that cost as much as a McDonalds Value Meal with same standards as $60 games :p

Moon Diver seems pretty cool to me...I know some people hate on it when it was released too but whatever. I just still think if some of these games were released in 16-bit era people would have been having nose bleeds and other bodily fluid problems, it's easy to forget how far 2D games have come since then.

I always maintain that a good game is a good game, no matter what the platform or date of release. If you like Moon Diver, that's cool.

However, like many others, I would strongly urge anyone to try it first, because it's really not that great.

Gaspode_T

thelatestmodel said:
I always maintain that a good game is a good game, no matter what the platform or date of release. If you like Moon Diver, that's cool.

However, like many others, I would strongly urge anyone to try it first, because it's really not that great.

I have people telling me on Twitter they didn't like Outland too, so to each their own I guess...I have pretty low expectations for XBLA games that are only $5, probably because I enjoy being part of the elite few that buys lots of XBLA games. $10 on the other hand...there are too many I still have to buy that are $10, so I skipped on Daggerdale...

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Chiaroscuro said:
Is Moon Diver worth to play alone? I do not have much time for gathering 4 people into multiplayer.

I'd say no. I only tried it in single player, and I didn't like it at all.

According to some people it's actually kind of decent in co-op mode, but I doubt I'd ever get 3 other people to play it either.

Gaspode_T said:
Outland in my opinion is a must buy for any person that calls themselves a serious gamer!

Yars Revenge is fun to me...the story is kind of done with static art and subtitles, the talking during the frantic action is almost impossible to keep track of because it doesn't use voices, there are annoyances like that but at 400 pts I forgive those. Level 3 is set in cloud almost Ikaruga looking sci-fi city, so it's not all jungle levels. Basically it is using Panzer Dragoon/Rez type lockon mechanics but it's a little bit less polished and sometimes confusing to know how to keep your chain high, but as far as I have figured out you keep RT to kill weak enemies (chaingun), use RB to kill strong enemies which requires some interval in between to recharge (railgun? lightgun? don't remember what they call it), and then you have to stop chaingunning and use LT to lockon and fire missiles, so it really only makes sense for bosses or where there are lots of strong enemies. The achievements look 80% hard to get, one of them is going through a level without taking damage or something. There is a hardcore mode where you don't have the healing shields as another one of the achievements.

Islands of Wakfu ... play the demo, that's basically what the game is like, if collecting little gems scratches an itch for you it might be fun, I personally like the isometric art and don't mind the cheesiness, and there is also some sort of (French made???) cartoon that might explain the story better

I ended up buying Moon Diver, Shank and Serious Sam as well (gotta support my Serbian/Croatian bros for the latter).

I don't have MNC, I haven't ended up playing Section 8 that much although I really did like it a lot, so I probably just don't prefer FPS multiplayer that much over my other single player games...

I have a hard time filtering if Blade Kitten is getting hated on in the same way Comic Jumper was, what I played of the Blade Kitten demo didn't seem THAT bad, it was basically like Strider-ish jumping with a girl cat character. NES game mechanics aren't evil to me, I almost prefer that simplicity.

I was hovering over Ghostbusters and Blade Kitten but held off so far...I don't have Rearmed 2 either so more opinions there would be nice, I definitely probably will never get it at 1200 so...
Ok, thanks for the opinions. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 is good. Not as good or as difficult as the first one, but still worth your time, imo. The platforming is a lot more forgiving and there is an auto heal device that you get early on that you may as well keep in your inventory at all times. They force you to use new weapons every once in a while but 90% of the time the main gun is best. I don't remember what happened in the story besides the last boss being stupid, story wise. Still, overall a fun game.

How long is Outland?

I already picked it up, but if it's like 4 hours or so I might just power through it tonight and then move on to some other bigger releases.

Just bought 3200 points, but waiting for the Friday stuff before I waste it all.
Although not sure what to expect from that final sale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MikeE21286 said:
How long is Outland?

I already picked it up, but if it's like 4 hours or so I might just power through it tonight and then move on to some other bigger releases.

More like 5-6 hours.

Moon Diver is

-Disappointing
-Frustrating
-Messy
-Repetitive
-Cheap
-Grindy
-Unpolished

If this were a game from the 16-bit days it'd be somewhere in-between Saint Sword and Earnest Evans. Actually I don't think that's fair, at least those two games had playable frame-rates.

Ken

I don't play many games like Trouble Witches Neo (Shmups?) since they seem somewhat hard to me. Is it still a game you guys would recommend? How's the offline coop?

Zanosuke said:
If you consider yourself a gamer you must buy Outland. The game is amazing!

Whoa there. It's decent. Above average if you're really feeling that art style. This game gets undeserved over the top hyperbole, similar to Bastion. Decent games, worth it if you have no backlog.

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
Whoa there. It's decent. Above average if you're really feeling that art style. This game gets undeserved over the top hyperbole, similar to Bastion. Decent games, worth it if you have no backlog.

Both games were worth my time, even with my huge backlog. Outland is great and for 400 pts. it's a steal.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I'd disagree. The controls are tight, art really nice and refreshing, I dig the ost, and I really like the ikaruga like gameplay element put into a metroidvania like platformer. Honestly I don't see anything I dislike about the game, and it runs well. I don't see how I'd call it merely decent. I have way more issues with other retail releases this year compared to Bastion or Outland.

Brettison said:
I'd disagree. The controls are tight, art really nice and refreshing, I dig the ost, and I really like the ikaruga like gameplay element put into a metroidvania like platformer. Honestly I don't see anything I dislike about the game, and it runs well. I don't see how I'd call it merely decent. I have way more issues with other retail releases this year compared to Bastion or Outland.

Maybe we are so starved for these types of games, anything with those game mechanics is hyped as an essential godlike purchase. I don't know how else to explain it, because Outland is not a great game by any means, much less a must play.

What deserves the hyperbole, is Hard Corps: Uprising. It smokes Outland, Bastion, the rest of the recent XBLA games.

I don't have a problem with appreciating Outland, but when it gets the kind of praise reserved for the true masterpieces that are must plays... it starts to get weird.

Ifrit

Tried the Yars revenge demo and got bored, I'll skip that one

Next is Trouble Witches Neo even though the artstyle is putting me off, I'll give it try and see how it goes

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Maybe we are so starved for these types of games, anything with those game mechanics is hyped as an essential godlike purchase. I don't know how else to explain it, because Outland is not a great game by any means, much less a must play.

What deserves the hyperbole, is Hard Corps: Uprising. It smokes Outland, Bastion, the rest of the recent XBLA games.

I don't have a problem with appreciating Outland, but when it gets the kind of praise reserved for the true masterpieces that are must plays... it starts to get weird.
You know what they say about opinions....

I'm right, you're wrong. Outland is better.

There has literally been no game in its little genre corner that have been executed with such skill and polish in the last fifteen years. It is singular and not worth missing for anyone who finds the premise intriguing, IMO. One of the best things you could possibly get on XBLA for $5.

A masterpiece is something like, I dunno, Super Metroid. Outland isn't that, to be sure, but it is a rock-solid side-scrolling action game with good level design, perfect controls, and great boss design.

I also would not recommend Moon Diver. I picked it up at release at full-price and have regretted the decision ever since. I've tried repeatedly to get back into it, trying to host games online since I don't have anyone to play local co-op with and have only made it through probably the first few levels before people drop or just can't get a session together at all. I'm not sure if the lack of online games is just bad netcode or if people just haven't been playing it. Hoping that there will be more people online as I found it far too difficult to get far alone.

I did pick up outland though and am enjoying it thoroughly. Debating on picking up trouble witches, still want to play the demo, but I will probably wait until Friday anyways to make sure I don't miss out on something I'm more interested in.

augmental

I wanna play Outland on one of those new crazy huge 70" Sharp TVs with the 4 color technology The colors in Outland are unreal, playing on that TV would be awesome!

Ken Masters said:
this game is not on sale but seeing how we have a little XBLA discussion, how long is Bastion?
10-15 hours to do everything IIRC. (two play-throughs, all of the optional stuff)

Thing that really blew me away about Outland is that I tried the trial and immediately afterwards I fell in love. The controls and general feel of the game are so great.

charlequin said:
There has literally been no game in its little genre corner that have been executed with such skill and polish in the last fifteen years. It is singular and not worth missing for anyone who finds the premise intriguing, IMO. One of the best things you could possibly get on XBLA for $5.

A masterpiece is something like, I dunno, Super Metroid. Outland isn't that, to be sure, but it is a rock-solid side-scrolling action game with good level design, perfect controls, and great boss design.

It's an amazing price. I was more responding to the 'must play for any self respecting gamer' type comments about Outland. The controls are solid, not perfect- that's the only point where I'd be in total disagreement with you.

Ken Masters said:
this game is not on sale but seeing how we have a little XBLA discussion, how long is Bastion?
I beat it in about 4 an a half hours, but started a second play though as soon as I was finished.
(The only other game I did that with was Wario Land on the Game Boy)
The game lets you tweak the game play so my second time was just as fun as the first.

denomes

I missed ilomilo. Ah well.

Is there any reason to wait for a sale for Outland on PSN? I prefer the D-pad on the Dualshock. Is the game D-Pad heavy being a sidescroller?

I picked up Trouble Witches already (was in the mood for a SHMUP) and I'm currently debating back and forth between Outland and Clash of Heroes. I think that I enjoyed Clash of Heroes demo a bit more, especially as I've never done any match three games so I'm not burnt out on this, but it is double the price. I'll have to check my bing rewards quick, might have enough to cash in for both of them.

Dambrosi

Banned
I already have Trouble Witches and Outland, so probably ReArmed 1 and maybe Ilomilo for me.

Trouble Witches and Outland are both totally worth it, btw. Buy those.

Top Bottom