• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big XBLA sale (Outland,Shank,Trial,Yars Revenge, Blade Kitten, Trouble Witches, more)

El Sloth

Banned
eek5 said:
this

fridaysale.png
Hmm, was gonna get Outland and Ilimilo, but I guess I'll wait 'till tomorrow to decide. I did already get ReArmed 1 though.

LQX

I guess Torchlight will be the or one of the Friday sale games. Price is currently 400 Points.

daevv

LQX said:
I guess Torchlight will be the or one of the Friday sale games. Price is currently 400 Points.

That sounds about right. I'm looking at other ones I had my eye on to see if they dropped...

LQX said:
bought...hopefully there are more in the friday sale, but have been wanting to try torchlight for awhile, at 400 pts it was a no brainer

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Let's see, I bought Torchlight, Outland, Section 8, Yar's Revenge, Star Invaders, Ghostbusters, and Trouble Witches. I already have Monday Night Combat, Serious Sam, and The Maw. I may get Blade Kitten, Moon Diver, and/or the Section 8 map packs.

Gaspode_T

Hydrophobia is frustrating because it's close to being a great game, it's like what happens when a small team tries to create a game with a feel of big budget. About 20 mins in you are crawling on a pipe above water flooding and fire showing nice graphics effects, but the gameplay in these sections is kind of whack, you have to jump off the pipe onto some railing or something and I remember falling like 8 times in a row. So if you only have a certain amount of time to play a game with suspense/action/graphics I kind of think most would pick something like Half Life 2 or Bioshock over that game.

LQX

jackdoe said:
Seriously, you do not want to touch Hydrophobia.
I actually bought it on the last sale after they updated it and think its pretty good especially at that price. Some of the best looking and moving water I have seen this gen. It even has some charm with the thick UK accents. You can tell though that its a game that had the potential to be better but they rushed it.

jackdoe

LQX said:
I actually bought it on the last sale after they updated it and think its pretty good especially at that price. Some of the best looking and moving water I have seen this gen. It even has some charm with the thick UK accents.
I don't know. I tried the updated demo (on Xbox 360 and PC) and wanted to smash my head through a window.

LQX

jackdoe said:
I don't know. I tried the updated demo (on Xbox 360 and PC) and wanted to smash my head through a window.
It grows on you. At that price its worth it.

inky

So Outland is pretty much a no brainer, right? I was looking at Torchlight but I already own it on PC and I'm not that curious about playing it with a controller tbh. Only got 500 MP left.

guessing all of the friday sale items would be on sale by now since torchlight is...was hoping for switchball, vampire smile, or dishwasher to be in this sale but all of them are showing normal price

Jhoan

Checked out The Maw (already got 200/250 in two days) which is a charming game and it's pretty good, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and most recently, Torchlight. Might check out BC:R2. I enjoyed the demo and it plays a little differently from BC:R in that there's a few new things such as scanning.

I'm loving BC:Rearmed. The arm grappling hook platforming is fantastic and the game gives me a Metroid/SMB3 vibe. I like the overworld map theme and the cocky/funny banter between Rad Spencer and the bosses. Definitely worth it at 400 MSP. Normal is incredibly easy. I'm not looking forward to running through it on Super Hard.

I tried out Islands of Wakfu. It's o.k; I'm not sure if I'm gonna check it out. It sure does look pretty and it reminds me of Bastion. I thought the Hydrophia demo was o.k. and I tried the updated version too a few months ago. I dunno if I'm gonna check it out.

And for anyone who's on the fence on Shank and Trials, they are so worth it 600 MSP. I got both games at that price plus most of the Trials add-ons when they were on special. Trials gives you more than your money's worth and it's extremely challenging but so good.

Shank is one of the best few beat em up games on XBLA next to Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers. It could easily be beaten in one sitting and the story is a simple revenge plot despite having the writer of God War 1's name attached to it. It looks exteremely good, the cutscenes are fantastic, and the combat's pretty visceral and fun.There's also a local co-op mode that's has a prequel story. The shotgun breaks the game.

If I only had one complaint, it would be that mapping the guns to D-pad was a horrible decision as it's incredibly annoying to take your thumb off LS during combat to switch weapons.

LuchaShaq said:
Can't stress enough that this game isn't worth the time or price and the attempted review bullying makes this dev not worth supporting.

The post release patch fixed a lot of the problems. So with that in mind, it's definitely worth 240msp, not a point more.

Galdelico

Are the two Serious Sam worthy?
In terms of good/bad ports, basically: I know the drill with the game mechanics.

Also, Torchlight is tempting but I remember trying the demo and feeling so disappointed... Terrible framerate killed my experience.

Feck that! I only have 300 points and I'm not spending a fiver so I can be left with more worthless points. Shame, I sort of wanted torchlight xbla.

snoopeasystreet said:
Feck that! I only have 300 points and I'm not spending a fiver so I can be left with more worthless points. Shame, I sort of wanted torchlight xbla.
Protip: Extra points aren't actually worthless, and can be used to make further purchases from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace!

Friday deals:

Torchlight 400 msp
Path of Go 200 msp
Hydrophobia 240 msp
Serious Sam 2 400 msp
Your Shape Fitness Addon 160 msp
Rage Avatar Helmet 240 msp

toythatkills said:
Protip: Extra points aren't actually worthless, and can be used to make further purchases from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace!
It's still a bullshit practice that's in place. It's not something that you can defend.

snoopeasystreet said:
It's still a bullshit practice that's in place. It's not something that you can defend.
I can defend it all I like. People complaining about having left over points are weird. If you buy an Xbox with the specific intention of only ever buying one single XBLA game or DLC and then never buying anything for it ever again there's something wrong with you. Those left over points don't go anywhere. You can use them in the future.

It's just a stupid thing to moan about.

K' Dash

Chiaroscuro said:
Friday deals:

Torchlight 400 msp
Path of Go 200 msp
Hydrophobia 240 msp
Serious Sam 2 400 msp
Your Shape Fitness Addon 160 msp
Rage Avatar Helmet 240 msp

nothing I want :(

toythatkills said:
It's just a stupid thing to moan about.
Or you could have a much more intuitive system that allows you to pay exactly what you need. The Rounded Up Purchase system is a dirty way to get you to keep buying.

It's just a stupid thing to defend.

Zeouterlimits said:
Or you could have a much more intuitive system that allows you to pay exactly what you need. The Rounded Up Purchase system is a dirty way to get you to keep buying.
Or alternatively, it's a system by which the same price can be applied to a game the world over. I much prefer it to PSN where a game in the US could then be substantially more expensive in Europe, or vice versa. The points system also allows for simpler marketing and worldwide sales on games, like the one this thread is about, whereas on PSN each region would have to have its own sales with its own prices.

Because of points, the XBL Marketplace is universal rather than fragmented. This is a good thing.

Just look at Games on Demand to see what a clusterfuck it becomes when you're charging pounds and dollars foremost instead of points.

toythatkills said:
Or alternatively, it's a system by which the same price can be applied to a game the world over. I much prefer it to PSN where a game in the US could then be substantially more expensive in Europe, or vice versa. The points system also allows for simpler marketing and worldwide sales on games, like the one this thread is about, whereas on PSN each region would have to have its own sales with its own prices.

Because of points, the XBL Marketplace is universal rather than fragmented. This is a good thing.

Just look at Games on Demand to see what a clusterfuck it becomes when you're charging pounds and dollars foremost instead of points.
It's the not the points I have a problem with. It's that I have to buy them in chunks. All I want is 100 points and can't buy that with the current system.

Top Bottom