• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light (DS) official site opens (now with VIDEO!!)

duckroll

ekf8fl.jpg

Code:
Freelancer |   Traveler  | Black Mage | White Mage |    Bandit   |   Druid   |   Shaman  
 Samurai   |             |  Chemist   |    Monk    |   Scholar   |    Bard   |           
 Warmage   | Dark Knight |            |   Mystic   |    Knight   |   Ninja   |   Dancer  
           | Necromancer |   Viking   |            |  Alchemist  | Time Mage | Blue Mage

This is what we have at the moment, I think most guesses are pretty accurate based on what we know about FF jobs anyway.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Yaweee said:
Besides, there's plenty of FF classes that aren't represented. I don't see any reason that FF5 should be considered the baseline, when the class system has been present and expanded in so many others.

FF5? The Red Mage has been in every (or almost every) FF game with classes up (until?) now starting with FF1. I didn't say that the class is great, I'm just saying it's distinctive to the FF genre and was expecting it to be in this one as it had been in the previous titles (hence my 'surprise' ;p.)

Yaweee

Takeda Kenshi said:
FF5? The Red Mage has been in every (or almost every) FF game with classes up (until?) now starting with FF1. I didn't say that the class is great, I'm just saying it's distinctive to the FF genre and was expecting it to be in this one as it had been in the previous titles (hence my 'surprise' ;p.)

Ah, sorry, I was pointing the 'baseline' remark about FF5 to the discussion about dropping classes, not necessarily Red Mage in particular. FFT, FFTA, FFTA2, and FFXI, FFX-2 all introduced or dumped a variety of classes, and Red Mage was absent from both FFT and FFX-2.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Yaweee said:
Red Mage was absent from both FFT and FFX-2.

Aye, my bad for not making it clear that I was referring to the main series of FF games with selectable job classes (FF1, 3, 5, 11, 12.) But to be fair, the red mage was present in quite a few offshoots including Tactics Advance 1 & 2, I believe was voted in to be in the DS port of Chocobo's Dungeon, as well as an NPC in FF9.

Ok I'll shut up now. ;)

duckroll

The official site updated today with a massively detailed credits list. I've translated it because I love you guys so much:

Scenario:
Iduki Kougyoku (Short story writer, won an award for his 2007 debut in a Dengeki contest)

Character Design & Art Director:
Akihiko Yoshida (Ogre Battle, FFT, Vagrant Story, FFXII)

Artwork:
Yuka Miyamoto (FFT, Live A Live)
Tsubasa Masao (ZoE2, MGS series)
Tomomi Fujino (FFIII DS, Vagrant Story)

Sound Director:
Tomohiro Kamiya (FFIII DS, FFIV DS)

Music:
Naoshi Mizuta (FFXI, Blood of Bahamut)

Music Arrangement & Sequencer Operation:
Mitsuto Suzuki (Sigma Harmonics, Dissidia FF)

Program Lead:
Shimpei Takayanagi (FFIII DS, FFIV DS)

Graphics Lead:
Jin Tamura (FFIII DS, FFIV DS)

Development:
Matrix Software

Director:
Takashi Tokita (FFIV DS)
Hiroaki Yabuta (FFIII DS, FFIV DS)

Producer:
Tomoya Asano (FFIII DS, FFIV DS)

duckroll

I think it's pretty cool to see Hiroaki Yabuta finally credited as a director too. He was the main planner for both FF3 and FF4 DS, so it'll be interesting to see if he can do even better with an original title.

Cedille

duckroll said:
Tomomi Fujino (FFIII DS, Vagrant Story)

I'd rather her be credited for FFT A2, as she seems to have replace Ryouma Ito's shit with her far much more tolerable arts, but for some reasons, SQEX eventually didn’t open it that much. 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
No wonder Blood of Bahamut's OST sounds so repetitive, Mizuta has been putting his effort into this all along! That's one awesome art team they've got there too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
duckroll said:
ekf8fl.jpg

Code:
Freelancer |   Traveler  | Black Mage | White Mage |    Bandit   |   Druid   |   Shaman  
 Samurai   |             |  Chemist   |    Monk    |   Scholar   |    Bard   |           
 Warmage   | Dark Knight |            |   Mystic   |    Knight   |   Ninja   |   Dancer  
           | Necromancer |   Viking   |            |  Alchemist  | Time Mage | Blue Mage

This is what we have at the moment, I think most guesses are pretty accurate based on what we know about FF jobs anyway.

I thought Alchemist = Geomancer
WarMage = Paladin I wonder?

one next to bard look like magic knight (I know that you mention Mystic)

batbeg

95wg9c.jpg

I am well and truly struggling to not change my avatar again already.

2duvz1h.jpg

2qxlwer.jpg

72vgcl.jpg

5n6dtf.jpg

vs0vug.jpg

I love how unique all the enemy designs are - by which I mean not only are they fantastic, but they absolutely belong in their own realm, apart from other Final Fantasy entries. It kind of reminds me of FFIX/FFCC monsters in that way - distinctly Final Fantasy, but distinctly different too.

And, I believe, this will be the first time I have to have an artbook of a game:

2622rk0.jpg

duckroll

Jump finally has a new article on the game. It seems the game will be party members beyond the main 4 characters. They show two new characters, one of them isn't even human. He's a mouse who dreams of becoming a great sage one day. There are no battle screens, but the article clearly states that there will be more party members than the main 4. It seems these are characters who will join the party for periods of time, for story related reasons. Sounds like the FFXII guest system. I wonder if we'll have any control over them.

Also the OST was announced: http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/SQEX-10173

4th Nov, 2500yen, 1 CD.

p

NeoForte

The Fez looking one, I could kinda see that as being SMN job. Drg could be the first one in the 4th row maybe. Hopefully it is in the game, I love the job :/

ksamedi

I must be getting too old for gaming or something but I enjoy oldschool stuff much more than anything else these days. This is my most anticipated Final Fantasy game. It ranks higher in my anticipation list than FFCC:CB or FFXIII. Its great to see some new freshness in old school mechanics.

Sipowicz

Banned
duckroll said:
Jump finally has a new article on the game. It seems the game will be party members beyond the main 4 characters. They show two new characters, one of them isn't even human. He's a mouse who dreams of becoming a great sage one day. There are no battle screens, but the article clearly states that there will be more party members than the main 4. It seems these are characters who will join the party for periods of time, for story related reasons. Sounds like the FFXII guest system. I wonder if we'll have any control over them.

it sounds a bit like final fantasy 3. sometimes there were super powerful characters that would join you for a while

does anyone know how many jobs they've unveiled so far?

I scanned the thread, but can't figure out what type of game this is. Is it like a spin off or more in line with the main series?

Sipowicz

Banned
riskVSreward said:
I scanned the thread, but can't figure out what type of game this is. Is it like a spin off or more in line with the main series?

it's a turn based spinoff that takes its cues from old final fantasy games

back when they were a bit more twee

Hobbun

This game is becoming my main focus now as what I am hearing of XIII is completely turning me off. Looking forward to a NA release mid next year.

duckroll

Just saw the Famitsu scans. There's a new job, which I previously thought was a lock for Time Mage. Instead of a clock on the crown, it's actually a compass. The job is called Recorder, and the job's abilities make use of party stats to modify the circumstances in battles. Stats are stuff like number of battles fought, number of enemies encountered, number of times escaped, etc. Sounds like an entire job built around the kind of gameplay mechanic that the chicken knife and brave blade introduced into FF. Should be interesting!

squall211

The more I hear about this game the more interested I am. Up until maybe late last year, I wasn't really into portable gaming that much. But there's just so much goodness (especially RPG goodness) to be had on the DS and the PSP that you just can't ignore it.

botticus

duckroll said:
Just saw the Famitsu scans. There's a new job, which I previously thought was a lock for Time Mage. Instead of a clock on the crown, it's actually a compass. The job is called Recorder, and the job's abilities make use of party stats to modify the circumstances in battles. Stats are stuff like number of battles fought, number of enemies encountered, number of times escaped, etc. Sounds like an entire job built around the kind of gameplay mechanic that the chicken knife and brave blade introduced into FF. Should be interesting!
That could be a completely useless class in the overall scheme of things, but I would use it constantly.

duckroll said:

I will always use this class.

Dascu

duckroll said:
In other words, a stat whore. Neat!

duckroll said:

Oh my god it's a math nerd class

GOTY confirmed

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Recorder? Sounds awesome.

Regarding the art, nobody? :/ I want to tear that site apart for that art :lol

The screens and art remind me of the art that the Gaming Intelligence Agency posted for what was presumed to be FF9 way back when. The art was similar, and the characters could change jobs. It looked like a fun, quirky, and awesome throwback game (which FF9 was, but in a different way).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
batbeg said:

ITADAKIMAAASU! :lol

Fucking awesome :lol

charlequin said:
Oh my god it's a math nerd class

GOTY confirmed

It's basically the new Calculator? FF math nerds everywhere must be rejoicing.

EDIT: I just realized when this is coming out. FUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK
Fall just got more ridiculous.

Rpgmonkey

botticus said:
That could be a completely useless class in the overall scheme of things, but I would use it constantly.

The Chicken Knife and Brave Blade get really amazing eventually...

The Job might take some work, but it sounds like it'd pay off.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Diomedeskun said:
The screens and art remind me of the art that the Gaming Intelligence Agency posted for what was presumed to be FF9 way back when. The art was similar, and the characters could change jobs. It looked like a fun, quirky, and awesome throwback game (which FF9 was, but in a different way).

I've still got that art, somwhere. Sure looked... different. With the floating island elevated by chocobo's and the female knight in leviathan-esuqe armor.. Definitely had my interest back then.

batbeg

Diomedeskun said:

I feel the exact same way, which is weird as hell considering I'd hoped this is something like what Itahana would do with more direct control, and yet he went in a completely different direction than I'd have ever expected.

Top Bottom