• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 05/12/15

Brad seems to not care at all about spoilers.

The worst part is his two way stance on spoilers. He threw a fit in one of the Game of the Year deliberations trying not to get spoiled on some game, but he has a big tendency to go into spoiler territory within a handful of weeks after release. Fortunately, Jeff is really great aboutsshooting those discussions down quickly.

did you enter your login info on your podcast app? my feed always works with downcast

No, it never asked for login credentials on Pocket Cast. I'm logged into giant bomb to get to the page with the RSS info. When I punch that info the app it pull up the feed, with the correct header/info/art and shows all the past episodes up to the end of October for download. I'm at a loss and the ads in the regular version ate no longer entertaining/are for services I actively dislike.

Myggen

He didn't give a warning for Far Cry 4. I didn't really care, but when I realized he was itching to elaborate on the ending despite it being an aside, I couldn't help but think, "Oh, here we go."

That long after a game is released there's a big chance the game will be spoiled on a Bombcast, always been that way. At some point after release it has to be okay to do it too, I'd like to see the person who still hasn't played FC4 but gives a shit about the story.

No, it never asked for login credentials on Pocket Cast. I'm logged into giant bomb to get to the page with the RSS info. When I punch that info the app it pull up the feed, with the correct header/info/art and shows all the past episodes up to the end of October for download. I'm at a loss and the ads in the regular version ate no longer entertaining/are for services I actively dislike.
There is a specific URL you enter into Pocket Cast for the Premium RSS feed that includes your login information (see the forums):
Code:
https://YourGBUsername:GBPassword@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/
https://YourGBUsername:GBPassword@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premiumbombcast/

Edit, someone else said try auth.giantbomb... I know I get the premium feed in Pocket Cast, I honestly don't remember which URL worked for me:
Code:
https://USER:PASSWORD@auth.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

louiedog

The worst part is his two way stance on spoilers. He threw a fit in one of the Game of the Year deliberations trying not to get spoiled on some game, but he has a big tendency to go into spoiler territory within a handful of weeks after release. Fortunately, Jeff is really great aboutsshooting those discussions down quickly.

I know there have been a few times when Brad is playing something that's old that he doesn't want spoiled, but is happy to spoil what he's played up to that point without warning. Can't he see that there are others in position, possibly even because of him talking about it is what gets them interested?

I have no issue with games being talked about or spoiled after they've been out for months, but they still need some kind of warning. Don't just launch into the spoiler.

During the GoTY deliberations I think it was Vinny talking about a recently released game.

During yesterdays podcast, Far Cry 4 is a 7 month old game.

There's a huge difference.

Ugh, I so hate how Brad is willing to spoil anything. For fucks sake Brad, control yourself.

I love the guy... but if he's heard about it, played it or seen it he assumes everyone else has and therefore it's all old news. But if he hasn't heard it, played it or seen it no one can talk about it thing.

- J - D -

Come on, by now everybody should know GB's stance on spoilers:

"Remember, it doesn't matter that anyone else gets spoiled, it's that Brad doesn't get spoiled."

- Jeff Gerstman (during some ME3-centric podcast in 2012)

It sounds like Pocket Casts still doesn't explicitly support authentication for podcasts, as Doggcatcher and BeyondPod both have username/password fields in their feed settings if needed. There's still one way to get around this limitation in Pocket Casts: put it in the Feed URL. This method was posted on the GB subreddit for the Premium Feed, but it should theoretically work with the Premium Bombcast feed just by changing the URL slightly. Try putting this URL in your Feed settings:
Code:
https://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premiumbombcast/
Obviously, change username:password to your GB username and password separated by a colon.

EDIT: Doh, didn't notice the post above.

Dimmle

During the GoTY deliberations I think it was Vinny talking about a recently released game.

During yesterdays podcast, Far Cry 4 is a 7 month old game.

There's a huge difference.

The detailed Bloodborne talk lately has my finger hovering over the skip button. It's a hard life to live, away from the zeitgeist.

Code:
      Https://USER:PASSWORD@auth.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premiumbombcast/
Appears to have worked for me. Yesterday's podcast appears to be there, I'll have to DL it when I'm back in the office and check. Thanks for the help guys!

Dan+1: Kirkhope v. Wise was great. Keep pushing for Tropical Freeze (although he didn't grab the best part of the windmill song)

Dan-1: Stated that the new SOTN/DS vanias were way better than the old ones, can't let that slide. Someone needs to watch Vinny play some CVIII when he gets to it.

Myggen

No Splatoon Global Testfire talk right? :p

GivingAdventurousJuliabutterfly.gif

Dan+1: Kirkhope v. Wise was great. Keep pushing for Tropical Freeze (although he didn't grab the best part of the windmill song)

Dan-1: Stated that the new SOTN/DS vanias were way better than the old ones, can't let that slide. Someone needs to watch Vinny play some CVIII when he gets to it.

Same with Castlevania IV. Castlevania IV best Castlevania sorry

Jintor

in two weeks the gb offices will be covered in ink. brad will attempt to roll over a desk and explode into a cloud of inky darkness as jeff smacks him with a roller

dan is brandishing a super soaker in each hand and firing wildly in all directions cackling

drew is nowhere to be seen

Brad and Jeff have been buzz kills for awhile now. I feel like they are a little burnt out.

That's definitely my feeling; they don't seem to even try to enjoy anything that doesn't immediately grab them. I still like listening to them, but christ I do not take their opinions on games seriously.

RE_Player

Glad to see others have felt that vibe from them as well and I'm not being crazy.

Also I don't point that out to be negative or criticize the guys. It's perfectly understandable. They've been doing this for a long time, being under the CBS roof for awhile, staff relocation and sudden changes :( , and the industry kind of moving in a direction that has less traditional games.

People have already mentioned it, but not saying a single peep about what is essentially Nintendo's first online beta is kinda perplexing. Especially considering several of the crew have expresses interest in the title...

I mean if no one played it then obviously don't have it in the first segment, but then not even in news?

People have already mentioned it, but not saying a single peep about what is essentially Nintendo's first online beta is kinda perplexing. Especially considering several of the crew have expresses interest in the title...

I mean if no one played it then obviously don't have it in the first segment, but then not even in news?

To be fair, it was at some times that they probably just didn't get to play it? However I do think they just didn't know it was going on. Then again Jeff is on Twitter so he should have saw some Splatoon stuff. Did they say they were interested in it? I don't remember that.

They didn't even say the word Splatoon.

I'm looking forward to/dreading the Splatoon quicklook. $5 says it's going to be as apathetic and joyless as the QLs for Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8.

For a bunch of guys who keep talking about how great the old Nintendo games are, it's perplexing how little they care about the new Nintendo games which hit the exact same points of engagement.

And no, I'm not trying to hate. I genuinely like the GB guys and watch a lot of their content. I just need to vent a couple of my frustrations with them.

I was interested in a beta of splatoon, and then I read further and saw that they were making it as inconvenient as possible for people with the three one-hour periods over the weekend and I said "yeahhhh... No." and forgot about it. I would guess they probably had a similar reaction.

I'm looking forward to/dreading the Splatoon quicklook. $5 says it's going to be as apathetic and joyless as the QLs for Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8.

For a bunch of guys who keep talking about how great the old Nintendo games are, it's perplexing how little they care about the new Nintendo games which hit the exact same points of engagement.

And no, I'm not trying to hate. I genuinely like the GB guys and watch a lot of their content. I just need to vent a couple of my frustrations with them.

I know how you feel but at this point I just don't watch a lot of their Nintendo game QL as I know how it will go.
-Incorrect information
-Followed by apathy and just general not caring.

I never watching anything Pokemon related because I can only imagine how much stuff goes wrong there but Smash Bros last year just made me give up watching most Nintendo game Quick Looks. Sure they don't have to like them or whatever but, it's sad I can predict this shit now.

Besides the originals, I don't think Jeff or Brad has ever really liked Smash Bros or Mario Kart. So if they are saying old Nintendo games were great, they probably aren't talking about either franchise. Dan obviously seems to like both a lot though. And to be honest, if you aren't a big fan of either franchise the latest versions really do appear to be just more of the same. It's not like Mario Kart 8 is going to change how anyone feels about kart racers, same goes for Smash.

Alex and Vinny will probably be the ones playing Splatoon.

I'm surprised that people are shocked that there are people that aren't excited for Splatoon.

tesqui

I thought I remembered Jeff during E3 last year saying he thought Splatoon was cool, but didn't like the motion controls.

Also Alex tweeted saying he played the Demo last week and enjoyed it. So at least one GB dude seems to like Splatoon.

Edit: Here's the tweet from alex https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/597126630625124352

Alex and Vinny will probably be the ones playing Splatoon.

I'm surprised that people are shocked that there are people that aren't excited for Splatoon.
True Alex and Vinny will probably the ones to cover them at this point.

I can get not being excited for it. I liked it but I am probably not getting it day 1 myself. I am shocked they didn't bring it up in a casual sense like "Oh did you guys see all that Splatoon stuff this weekend?" etc at all.

Also Alex tweeted saying he played the Demo last week and enjoyed it. So at least one GB dude seems to like Splatoon.

Didn't hear about that. Neat then.

Besides the originals, I don't think Jeff or Brad has ever really liked Smash Bros or Mario Kart. So if they are saying old Nintendo games were great, they probably aren't talking about either franchise. Dan obviously seems to like both a lot though. And to be honest, if you aren't a big fan of either franchise they both stand out as appearing to be just more of the same thing. It's not like Mario Kart 8 is going to change how anyone feels about kart racers, same goes for Smash.

Well, that makes sense. Jeff & Brad were already working in the business when Smash Brothers came out, and Jeff was already a teenager by time the first Mario Kart came out, if I remember right.

It's a generational thing. Nintendo is not some special thing to these guys, they're just another company making games. For hardcore Nintendo fans, that may hurt, but not giving Nintendo special treatment isn't being anti-Nintendo.

Aerobatics

Neo Member

remember when brad actually left the room whenever someone even whispered about mass effect 3 when he hadn't played it yet

then like the week he beat it he spoiled the entire thing

I was interested in a beta of splatoon, and then I read further and saw that they were making it as inconvenient as possible for people with the three one-hour periods over the weekend and I said "yeahhhh... No." and forgot about it. I would guess they probably had a similar reaction.

As inconvenient as possible? Okay sure. There were three slots catered as best as they could to all major gaming time zones, and it was a targeted test of server capacity/performance and used to gauge interest among current Wii u owners. But fine even if they weren't hot on the execution, f$#king mention it. Gaming news, new territory for a company...

As inconvenient as possible? Okay sure. There were three slots catered as best as they could to all major gaming time zones, and it was a targeted test of server capacity/performance and used to gauge interest among current Wii u owners. But fine even if they weren't hot on the execution, f$#king mention it. Gaming news...

The news section during the Bombcast aside from the Klepek period has always been the "whatever the host is interested in as far as news goes" section of the Bombcast. There's news not mentioned every week.

Top Bottom