• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 05/12/15

As inconvenient as possible? Okay sure. There were three slots catered as best as they could to all major gaming time zones, and it was a targeted test of server capacity/performance and used to gauge interest among current Wii u owners. But fine even if they weren't hot on the execution, f$#king mention it. Gaming news, new territory for a company...

That wouldn't have been in the news section I don't think even if they did talk about it. I don't think anyway.

danm999

People have already mentioned it, but not saying a single peep about what is essentially Nintendo's first online beta is kinda perplexing. Especially considering several of the crew have expresses interest in the title...

I mean if no one played it then obviously don't have it in the first segment, but then not even in news?

People freaked out when they talked about the last Direct but none of them had seen it so I can't exactly blame them for not wanting to discuss something they have nothing meaningful to say about.

Maybe next week when they get some impressions from Alex or somebody.

SlickVic

I kind of wish someone else had played Witcher to have a second take on it or more of a conversation. Jeff is good at concisely explaining what about a game doesn't click with him but sometimes tends to downplay the things they do get right - if there are any to speak of, that is. For a game that's been seemingly scoring pretty highly across the board I would have been interested to know what people who are really into it see in it (granted, I haven't read any of the reviews yet).

Looking forward to more open world Vinny quick look hijinks, in any case.

Well it certainly doesn't help that the 2 guys that seemed to have put the most time into the Witcher series in the past have either moved across the country or left the site (if I recall, Patrick enjoyed The Witcher 2 quite a bit).

But I assume Vinny will get get to do a lengthy quick look at some point and give us some more of his thoughts.

faridmon

Wow, Jeff was spot on on Konami's deal with PT and MGS in general.
Thats why I love listening to these guys, they never go along with hivemind, and look at things from more objective perspective.

LiK

Wow, Jeff was spot on on Konami's deal with PT and MGS in general.
Thats why I love listening to these guys, they never go along with hivemind, and look at things from more objective perspective.

People can hate on Jeff for his taste in video games, music and food, but when it comes to the gaming industry, he's one of the wisest duders out there.

I've really only started Far Cry 4 and I didn't even notice he spoiled anything. The game has branching paths that ultimately don't lead to anything? Welcome to AAA video games.

Zaph

People can hate on Jeff for his taste in video games, music and food, but when it comes to the gaming industry, he's one of the wisest duders out there.

This is why I hope GB never goes out of business - Jeff would be offered a consulting position too good to pass up and he might leave full-time editorial.

In the moment you can take or leave his opinions (personally, his tastes line up pretty well with mine) but his long term observations are eerie.

LiK

I've really only started Far Cry 4 and I didn't even notice he spoiled anything. The game has branching paths that ultimately don't lead to anything? Welcome to AAA video games.

they didn't really spoil anything from what I heard. the game has multiple endings but unless you know how to get them, it's not really a spoiler. you're good.

pizzacat

Banned
I don't understand the fc4 thing. He said a warning for spoilers for that Old Blood game so he respects it unlike some of you have said and spoiled a game that came out last year, a game they already spoiled a bit during GOTY awards.

Also a game that's story is extremely boring and playing FC for the story is just a weird thing for me, I'm at least not bothered at all even though I'm only halfway done with it lol

I don't understand the fc4 thing. He said a warning for spoilers for that Old Blood game so he respects it unlike some of you have said and spoiled a game that came out last year, a game they already spoiled a bit during GOTY awards.

Also a game that's story is extremely boring and playing FC for the story is just a weird thing for me, I'm at least not bothered at all even though I'm only halfway done with it lol

My FarCry game is still in the cellophane wrapper.
And also agreed regarding playing a FarCry game for the story...

LiK

Thanks! I guess an in-depth Quick Look is on the cards – to be honest I didn't think Vinny would be one to play a game this long, he never came across as one that would invest so much time in an RPG.

Oh, he's the one before he had a kid. He was not only the Witcher guy but also the one who was interested in Demon's Souls and had it on the site before anyone really knew what the hell it was when it came out.

if youre coming to Far Cry 4 for the story and not to make a better wallet by killing a shark then im sorry, you're going about things wrong.

I didn't care about the Far Cry 4 stuff and don't think i would've cared if they spoiled it at launch, either. I come to those games for the emergent gameplay and the wildife systems in place. the story stuff is just there to nudge me into new areas.

I like FarCry 4 because it had a bow & arrow and a machine gun and a elephant. To talk about story and nuance in a game where two (British?) guys constantly drug you to find yourself while you fight hundreds of soldiers in a gyrocopter or with tiger bait is weird.

Stories in games are less or on par on of a popcorn movie. The reason why we don't get good storytelling is because there are so few people good at story telling regardless of the median they work with. Of course a scripted ending in an open world game would feel binary, we see this time & time again with Fallout, Far Cry, and Ass Creed. GTAV at least made 3 characters establish a cadence in which to see their personal arch of change (or unchange with Trevor, who embodies the do whatever player character).

Don't complain about story telling when the audience can't handle eating figs or dates.

Whatever man. TEAM BISCUIT.

LiK

FC4 had a pretty decent story. Was more interesting than the previous games. Still worth experiencing. I also liked most of the characters which I didn't expect. The VO was excellent.

Oh, he's the one before he had a kid. He was not only the Witcher guy but also the one who was interested in Demon's Souls and had it on the site before anyone really knew what the hell it was when it came out.

I can understand him being that way before the kid, but now I suspect he wouldn't, which is understandable considering he's also fixing up his house too.

Holy shit at the extreme concern trolling re: Splatoon going on in this thread. What constitutes a "major news event" to some of you might not to them, or they might want to comment on it if and when one of them actually participates in it, or they might not even care (gasp!)-- though to be fair, a number of them have expressed interest in the game in the past so I'm sure they are looking forward to playing the full, finished release.

Also that thing happened on a Friday night, 4am, and Noon Saturday (PST). For an hour. Unless you are a die-hard Nintendo fan that is dying to beta test-- for an hour-- a game that is slated to release a month later, man... people have shit to do.

The Splatoon times were not convenient for me and very short notice. It's nice that they did it but I don't get why they couldn't have left it up for a while at the end of the final hour.

Then again, I have it on pre-order already so I'm probably less important to Nintendo than those who don't know the game.

LiK

Splatoon beta test was super limited so I doubt they were gonna bother with it. i'm expecting we'll get a Quick Look and that's that.

Sakwoff

Don't forget the MONTHS (at least it felt like it) the poor guy played Dragon Age 2 of all things.

With him having two kids those times are probably over though.

erawsd

I totally disagree about needing to close the door on "grandiose narrative choice." I think plenty of games have done a great job with it, including Mass Effect and many other Bioware games. Even if a lot of those choices are superficial and don't influence the larger narrative (many actually do), they are still experiences worth having.

One of the best moments in DA:I is when you meet
"the warden" in the cave
. There are a few people who can be there based on the decisions you made in the past. The game plays out exactly the same no matter who is there but it still manages to add so much more to the experience than if it as some random NPC. I never played FC4 but if the choice feels meaningful then I'd say they did a good job.

LiK

Don't forget the MONTHS (at least it felt like it) the poor guy played Dragon Age 2 of all things.

With him having two kids those times are probably over though.

he doesn't even have time for Bloodborne. I was listening to him on Danswers and yes, his family is top priority now so he's not playing a lot of games now. I hope he has time for more games in the near future. seems like he can only play adventure games these days.

he doesn't even have time for Bloodborne. I was listening to him on Danswers and yes, his family is top priority now so he's not playing a lot of games now. I hope he has time for more games in the near future. seems like he can only play adventure games these days.

Hahahahahahahhahahhaha

Nope.

The only time I have to play games is at work (for work mostly) and when my kids are asleep but even that makes you build a sleep debt.

Don't play DA2 Vinny. Go like many of other former gamer friends: MOBILE GAMES. Its the only answer when you are at your kid's events and are that dad that has the 5 oclock shadow and not dressed in khakis or polo shirt. The worst is that you are actually dressed UP relative to your weekday "work clothes".

LiK

Hahahahahahahhahahhaha

Nope.

The only time I have to play games is at work (for work mostly) and when my kids are asleep but even that makes you build a sleep debt.

Don't play DA2 Vinny. Go like many of other former gamer friends: MOBILE GAMES. Its the only answer when you are at your kid's events and are that dad that has the 5 oclock shadow and not dressed in khakis or polo shirt. The worst is that you are actually dressed UP relative to your weekday "work clothes".

oh you, he still has time for adventure games and puzzle games. but it seems like RPGs and action games are on the backburner.

there can only be one solution: Vinny ERs!

Dimmle

I miss Vinny's Souls antics. He role plays his characters in a super goofy, entertaining way. It's more of a performance than a dude trying to "win" at a video game.

might as well wait when his kids becomes teenagers (and ignores him) or something lol

or he does that gaming at the office

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
they didn't really spoil anything from what I heard. the game has multiple endings but unless you know how to get them, it's not really a spoiler. you're good.

Now wait a minute. You mean to tell me people are being complete lunatics about things they think are spoilers but actually aren't?

ike_

I'm just getting to the e-mail section of this week's podcast (been a busy week) and I'm pretty sure I heard Brad mention hole 1496 is the algorithmatically impossible hole.

JDHBUqz.jpg

Yeah it was definitely 1496 I heard. Because that's where I am and 74 shots later I am right where I started. Basically soft locked. Impossible. Formalized perfect ismorophic inductive proof.

Top Bottom