• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.03: "What Kate Does" (The Del Taco On La Cienega Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Solo said:
Jack is always selfish, always has been, good sirs. But I dont intend to get into this again. Search and youll find many of my S4/S5 Jack hate tirades :lol :lol I like him in S1, but from the end of that onwards....

So when Jack saves lives, or attempts to, he's doing so for his own benefit? :) I don't know how Jack can be described as selfish. He's done numerous idiotic things but they've always been for what he views as the best interests of the crew as a whole (even his "we have to go back Kate" was to go save the others).

Locke's the one who's always been "me me me". We're talking about a guy here who blew up a submarine to keep everyone else on the island who wanted to leave more than anything, simply because he didn't want to leave.

Jack hate is always illogical. :)

Solo

Zeliard said:
1. So when Jack saves lives, or attempts to, he's doing so for his own benefit? :)

2. I don't know how Jack can be described as selfish. He's done numerous idiotic things but they've always been for what he views as the best interests of the crew as a whole (even his "we have to go back Kate" was to go save the others).

3. Locke's the one who's always been "me me me". We're talking about a guy here who blew up a submarine to keep everyone else on the island who wanted to leave more than anything, simply because he didn't want to leave.

4. Jack hate is always illogical. :)

1. Yes. He gets off on being a "fixer".
2. "We have to go back" is born out of his shitty off-island life and remorse from John's death. He wants to go back because its the only place things make sense for him. Not because he wants to save people.
3. Locke's problem is the opposite of Jack's. Instead of listening to nobody, he trusts people too easily. The sub is the result of that, as is his death.
4. No.

threenote

Banned
Catalix said:
Sorry to hear that. I definitely get your complaints about this past episode, I had the very same ones as well.

Have faith, though. I'm sure What Kate Does wasn't a trend. Every season has their sub-par entries. And the latest story developments (the darkness, etc) might not be handled as poorly as we're imagining.

Besides, incoming BOSS episode! I say, descide on bailing "live watch" after this one
Yeah I hope so. I think today's episode will be great. I'll probably watch when I get home.

Blader

EliCash said:
Theres only one real leader though. And I'm waiting for him to come back.

yh7k5f4

Zeliard

Solo said:
1. Yes. He gets off on being a "fixer".

Not the most selfish of character traits when it concentrates on saving other lives, but point taken.

Solo said:
2. "We have to go back" is born out of his shitty off-island life and remorse from John's death. He wants to go back because its the only place things make sense for him. Not because he wants to save people.

Sure it is. He blames himself for Locke's death and doesn't want to bear the brunt of everyone else being stranded on an island, since they lied about them to the outside world. When he gets back to the island he immediately infiltrates Dharma and tries to rescue Sawyer, Juliet and the others. They felt they didn't need rescuing, but that's another matter entirely.

3. Locke's problem is the opposite of Jack's. Instead of listening to nobody, he trusts people too easily. The sub is the result of that, as is his death.

Too trusting, and too selfish. He really thought the island was all about him, and that the two had some mystical connection to each other, and he got a rude awakening.

Solo said:

Jack and Locke are either both selfish, or both selfless. There isn't much of a distinction there at all. When I think of a truly selfish Lost character, I think Sawyer Season 1.

Now onto the other thread!

Nameless

Yaweee said:
yaaaaaaaaaaay somebody understands what the fuck I was trying to say!

We've had three finales in a row involving dead Locke.

- Locke in a closed coffin
- Locke in an open coffin
- Locke's dead ass dumped on the beach

Can we go for the superfecta? If Smokey dies during the finale, I guess that will count. Or if Locke gets resurrected and re-killed.

Yea. It's a pretty crazy series of events

About a week or two after Locke is brought to his hospital Jack boards a flight to Tokyo on a Friday. The following Friday he flies to Singapore. The next Friday, Locke is killed by Ben on the same day that Jack books and boards a flight to Sydney. On his return flight Saturday night the stewardess gives Jack a newspaper where he reads of Locke's death. Jack's plane lands in LA, and while driving home from the airport he pulls over on a bridge and prepares to kill himself. This is after midnight, early Sunday morning.

By doing this Jack causes a car crash that saves his life(tons of symbolism in the context of the show). Benard's brother performs surgery on the woman later that morning and the true circumstances of the crash are revealed once she wakes up. The rest of the day sees Jack attending Locke's viewing and trying to obtain more pills by various illegal methods before going home and getting shitfaced some more.

Sunday night he tells Kate they have go back....they have to go back. He goes immediately from his meeting with Kate back to the funeral home where he runs into Ben who tells Jack his plan to return to the island.

That next Friday(7 Days after Locke's death) Jack boards Ajira flight 316 to Guam and flash lands on The Island in1977.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
It's hopeless and you guys know it. :lol

Solo has a Locke blind spot. No way he'll see that Locke is just as selfish, or even more so, than Jack.

Solo

Catalix said:
It's hopeless and you guys know it. :lol

Solo has a Locke blind spot. No way he'll see that Locke is just as selfish, or even more so, than Jack.

Ive never once said that Locke hasnt done selfish things.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Solo said:
Ive never once said that Locke hasnt done selfish things.
No, but you always point out that selfishness is one of the main reasons you hate Jack. Why not hold Locke equally accountable?

Solo

Catalix said:
No, but you always point out that selfishness is one of the main reasons you hate Jack. Why not hold Locke equally accountable?

Because Locke's selfishness, Boone aside, hasnt been disastrous for anyone else but Locke. Jack's selfishness has affected a lot of people.

Not to mention that Locke's selfishness has been good for the island many times. Was it selfish to tell Jack not to call the freighter? Yes. Was he also correct? Yes.

Yaweee

CarltonCuse
23 minutes ago
Quote:
Don't miss tonight's episode. A number of things are illuminated.

If he's going for a certain pun, perhaps the footage from the commercial that everybody assumed was next week is actually from this week's episode, which would make it a double dose of awesome.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I think Locke's selfishness is about to get all kinds of disastrous for those people he demanded come back to the island.:lol :lol Not only did he ruin Sawyer&the77 Losties's lives by doing that, but he also fucked up the off island folk as well by dragging them back to craphole island for no apparent reason, just so they can get raped by the guy who took over Locke's body.

threenote

Banned
Locke conned himself to become the Man in Black who--in turn--wants to eviscerate everyone who stands in his way. Sounds like he's more disastrous than Jack.

edit: looks like I was beaten by the man himself: Speeding.

Solo

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I think Locke's selfishness is about to get all kinds of disastrous for those people he demanded come back to the island.:lol :lol Not only did he ruin Sawyer&the77 Losties's lives by doing that, but he also fucked up the off island folk as well by dragging them back to craphole island for no apparent reason, just so they can get raped by the guy who took over Locke's body.

None of them listened to him though about coming back. Jack finally cracked and decided to go, and the rest went either because of Jack or Ben.

Catalix

Solo said:
Because Locke's selfishness, Boone aside, hasnt been disastrous for anyone else but Locke. Jack's selfishness has affected a lot of people.

Not to mention that Locke's selfishness has been good for the island many times. Was it selfish to tell Jack not to call the freighter? Yes. Was he also correct? Yes.
So selfishness isn't really the issue, just their respective body counts.

edit- Still pretty even.

Solo

Also, in Locke's case, there is the whole angle of being manipulated into doing these things, which doesnt exist for Jack.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Solo said:
None of them listened to him though about coming back. Jack finally cracked and decided to go, and the rest went either because of Jack or Ben.
Jack only cracked because of Locke tho, duder.

Shit, Locke told him to get off his ass and be a leader in the first place. None of Jack's terrible Island actions would've happened without Locke saving his ass from that cliff!

Catalix

How far's the blame game going back? :lol We can spin this any way we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom