• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 10 on NA WW. PSN11/03; XBLA31/03. JPN dates post#1020. Bass & DLC in OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey Cakes

SonicMegaDrive said:
You know what MM game had AWESOME music?

Mega Man fucking 9.

If Mega Man 10 comes close to that....
Yeah, man. Back when I first played it I couldn't get Wily Stage 2 out of my head.

As for MM8, I agree with jarosh's sentiment on the jet board sequences. Not fun in the least.

Rash said:
Yeah, man. Back when I first played it I couldn't get Wily Stage 2 out of my head.

As for MM8, I agree with jarosh's sentiment on the jet board sequences. Not fun in the least.

I'll third that. That's still the only time I ever lose a life in MM8. Those damn board sequences. And the "JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE" only manages to make me nervous. I mute my tv when I play those levels.

ghibli99

Arpharmd B said:
I mean for fucks sake people. I mean how many people would die for new Super Mario World/3 by Miyamoto himself, complete with NES style music and graphics. Oh, screw you Miyamoto, we don't want your shitty rom hack!

ZeoVGM

Banned
jarosh said:

I like how he named specific tracks, so you linked to different ones. You're being overly angsty about a video game.

And wait, your idea of bad music is to link to Dust Man, one of the best songs in the entire NES Mega Man series? That's catchy as hell and it has a unique eerie sound not found in most Mega Man stage themes. One of my favorites ever. Ring Man's is catchy too.

You're nuts.

i'll just quote my post from another forum again:

JUST WATCH THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UypYZDSTdo

watch it for fuck's sake

:lol You really need to relax. You sound insane.

Okay well, your nerdy "other forum" rant where you complain about the game like someone with Tourette's doesn't help your cause. Posting these rants make you sound really silly.

jarosh

Kilrogg said:
Eh, I kinda like MM4's music, jarosh, at least way more than 5's (didn't really play 6). It's true the pieces you selected aren't anything special, but tracks like Pharaoh Man's and Bright Man's are cool in my book.

4 and 5 are rather forgettable overall though... Especially 5. Again, I didn't play 6 all that much, but it really looked boring as hell. Plus, Plantman. 7 sucks, including the music.
i hate pharaoh man's and bright man's music. they are no better than what i posted. pharaoh's is especially horrible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJHbLGMza6E

not that bright man's is any better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LcXeF0xlKg

5 is great on the other hand. it's so much better than 4 in every regard. especially the music though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAxP_kbpUa4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FuNb6yqvcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8RWqWu_WTE

but oh man, mm6 had some even better tunes, some of the best in the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHVUupbqx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u-LyAzviN4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OTi1k4v8Yg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-TqJl1rfAg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0h5kOuxuFM

edit: kevincow was faster than me about mm6 :p

omg rite said:
:lol You really need to relax. You sound insane.

Okay well, your nerdy "other forum" rant where you complain about the game like someone with Tourette's doesn't help your cause. Posting these rants make you sound really silly.
Interesting how his major MM8 complaints aside from the jetboard sequences are that Clown Man's stage is "fruity looking" and Dr Light "talks like he has dicks in his mouth". Maybe he's trying to tell us something?

People here are making a good case for megaman 9, but I never beat the level in the demo. Are you supposed to be able to tackle that level with no special weapons?

Parallax Scroll said:
People here are making a good case for megaman 9, but I never beat the level in the demo. Are you supposed to be able to tackle that level with no special weapons?
Yeh, you should be able to beat all the stages without the need for special weapons. They do make boss fights easier of course.

BMX Bandit said:
Yeh, you should be able to beat all the stages without the need for special weapons. They do make boss fights easier of course.
K, I guess I just cashed in my skillz when I got a college degree and a career.

=(

Parallax Scroll said:
K, I guess I just cashed in my skillz when I got a college degree and a career.

=(
You'll get it. These games get a lot easier when you memorize enemy patterns/placement. At least it should make it a lot easier once you know what to expect in any level that is giving you a hard time.

Gilgamesh said:
a2rpep.gif
<3 love the avatar.

ZeoVGM

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
nomg wrong, zenith of terrible taste, versus jarosh, demi-lord of wonder and majesty

hrmmmmmmm

I dunno, saying Dust Man's music is good pretty much makes it a fact that I have good taste.

Davey Cakes

Parallax Scroll said:
At least with the full game I can switch to a different stage if one is too frustrating.

Aight, I'll give it a go. PS3 version.
I'm a Mega Man vet and I had trouble with MM9 at first. It's a tough game, but it's also a Mega Man game and Mega Man games have that effect where they seem ridiculously hard at first but become relatively easy once you get through them at least once.

If you don't know what to expect, you'll get owned. If you do, you'll end up with better results. This kind of game thrives on memorization, but not so much that it's overbearing.

As for the demo stage (Concrete Man's stage), it's tough at first, but to me it's actually one of the easier stages in the game. Nothing in comparison to the stages of Magma Man, Tornado Man, and Jewel Man.

When I first played MM9 I had to go through every level at least once (if not a few times) before I was able to grasp the game enough to actually beat one of the robot masters with just the m-buster, and again, I was a Mega Man vet going into this. I eventually discovered that Splash Woman's stage is the easiest, but that Galaxy man is actually the easiest Robot Master, so I found myself beating him first. After that, things just fall into place.

They should have a term for it. The "Mega Man Effect," I guess.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
omg rite said:
I dunno, saying Dust Man's music is good pretty much makes it a fact that I have good taste.
Dust Man has one of the worst tracks in the Mega Man series. Jarosh was using "fruity" to describe the music of the stage, and not the stage itself. He also mimicked the style of MM8's voice acting in his comments on the game, so no, he was not having an episode when he wrote. He actually linked these cutscenes right in the section he did this.

Awful taste, can't read, nomg wrong. Wrong on mega man, wrong for america.

Everything from Mega Man 4 is bad. There is nothing worth salvaging.

KevinCow

Banned
omg rite said:
You also use the word "fruity" to describe a video game level. So there you go.

Well Clown Man's stage is pretty damn fruity.

BMX Bandit said:

I gotta disagree with this. While it is obviously very possible to beat these levels with just the buster, they get way easier once you get more powers and figure out what they're good for. For Concrete Man (which was the demo stage, I believe), I almost never do his stage without first picking up Jewel Man's power, because it makes certain parts so much easier.

The game can be pretty hard, but it's also not very punishing. In the full game, whenever you lose you get to keep all the bolts you collected, and you can use these to buy power-ups to help you get through the levels, including ones that protect you from spikes and bottomless pits on top of the traditional E-tanks and extra lives.

Rash said:
I'm a Mega Man vet and I had trouble with MM9 at first. It's a tough game, but it's also a Mega Man game and Mega Man games have that effect where they seem ridiculously hard at first but become relatively easy once you get through them at least once.

If you don't know what to expect, you'll get owned. If you do, you'll end up with better results. This kind of game thrives on memorization, but not so much that it's overbearing.

As for the demo stage (Concrete Man's stage), it's tough at first, but to me it's actually one of the easier stages in the game. Nothing in comparison to the stages of Magma Man, Tornado Man, and Jewel Man.

When I first played MM9 I had to go through every level at least once before I was able to grasp the game enough to actually beat one of the robot masters with just the m-buster, and again, I was a Mega Man vet going into this. I eventually discovered that Splash Woman's stage is the easiest, but that Galaxy man is actually the easiest Robot Master, so I found myself beating him first. After that, things just fall into place.

They should have a term for it. The "Mega Man Effect," I guess.
I've come very very close to getting the best ending in Contra Shattered Soldier. So I can do the whole memorization thing. I just know it'll be a little painful along the way.

Here I go!

jarosh

Rash said:
...Mega Man games have that effect where they seem ridiculously hard at first but become relatively easy once you get through them at least once.

yep. that's very true. if you keep that in mind and just keep going, you'll eventually beat your first stage after many many many deaths. but it'll be soooo satisfying and you'll feel extremely motivated to push forward. soon enough you'll be a mega man expert again. ;)

jarosh said:
yep. that's very true. if you keep that in mind and just keep going, you'll eventually beat your first stage after many many many deaths. but it'll be soooo satisfying and you'll feel extremely motivated to push forward. soon enough you'll be a mega man expert again. ;)
I guess a 1-stage demo with no easy mode or starting powerups is kind of a crappy way to get people to buy the game.

Davey Cakes

KevinCow said:
I gotta disagree with this. While it is obviously very possible to beat these levels with just the buster, they get way easier once you get more powers and figure out what they're good for. For Concrete Man (which was the demo stage, I believe), I almost never do his stage without first picking up Jewel Man's power, because it makes certain parts so much easier.
I disagree. It's really not that hard to get through any of these stages with just the m-buster (and maybe Rush) once the player has a grasp of the game.

It's smart to use the powers to your advantage, of course, but it's not necessary. I can't even imagine wasting the energy on using Jewel Satellite on Concrete Man's stage. It's just pointless once the level design and enemy patterns are in mind.

Davey Cakes

Parallax Scroll said:
I guess a 1-stage demo with no easy mode or starting powerups is kind of a crappy way to get people to buy the game.
Not necessarily. A big pull of MM9 was the challenge factor, and the demo gives a great challenge.

KevinCow

Banned
Rash said:
I disagree. It's really not that hard to get through any of these stages with just the m-buster (and maybe Rush) once the player has a grasp of the game.

It's smart to use the powers to your advantage, of course, but it's not necessary. I can't even imagine wasting the energy on using Jewel Satellite on Concrete Man's stage. It's just pointless once the level design and enemy patterns are in mind.

I just hate those damn rock dropping birds at the beginning. I usually throw on a jewel shield so I can run through that first area without having to bother with the birds or wait to jump over the pit robots.

CTLance

Ho.ly.crap.

Why didn't anybody tell me?

AWESOME.

While I'd have liked a 16-Bit sequel I sure as fuck won't complain about 10 staying with 8-Bit graphics.

Teknoman

Parallax Scroll said:
I've come very very close to getting the best ending in Contra Shattered Soldier. So I can do the whole memorization thing. I just know it'll be a little painful along the way.

Here I go!

Wow. If thats the case, you should be able to do anything in Classic MM games. Then again, reflexes come into play as well.

I'm Search Man, Ok?

Clown Man aside, MM8 had a decent soundtrack. Grenade Man, Boss Intro, Opening FMV (for the english version anyway) Frost man, and Aqua Man.

acanaday

Dev - Bioware Austin
Great news.. but this means I have to go back and finish Dr Wiley at the end of MM9. Still haven't got around to doing that. I think I played him about 3-4 times and lost motivation a bit. :p

Johnas

Awesome news. A little part of me is surprised, but a bigger part of me saw this coming with 9's success.

Side track-I still haven't bought MM9. Between PS3 and Wii, is there any reason to pick one over the other? Does MM9 through PSN on an HDTV look worse than the WiiWare version on an SDTV? I'm thinking it would, but I wondered if filters etc. came into play there.

Parallax Scroll said:

Here I go!
If you can get through all five stages of Shattered Soldier I can't see Mega Man 9 being much of a challenge to be honest.

KevinCow said:
Pharaoh Man had pretty awesome music. Other than that, most of 4 was pretty crap.

MM5 was a step up, but still not that great. Though it did have the fantastic Wave Man.

MM6 had ridiculously awesome music though. One of the most underrated game soundtracks ever. Seriously, just listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Ug7szIvh0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SLV2WvN14A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Go0IqyIFZc

Wow I forgot how good 6 was.

6 is actually really underrated. I owned it on NES, and the rush power adapters were so fun to use. Unlimited (limited) flight! You really felt like a badass using that one.

It gets a bad rap because it's just, the game came out in 1993. I mean the Genesis was getting old and here comes a new NES Megaman! Bad timing, and the 6th freaking game in the series. But, now that I really think back, it is actually one of the best games in the series.

BMX Bandit said:
If you can get through all five stages of Shattered Soldier I can't see Mega Man 9 being much of a challenge to be honest.
All seven stages ;)

MM9 impressions so far: music is dope. game looks great on the plasma. galaxy man stage has some pretty neat, different stuff in it.

And mashing the shoot button > charging a big shot.

Parallax Scroll said:
All seven stages ;)

MM9 impressions so far: music is dope. game looks great on the plasma. galaxy man stage has some pretty neat, different stuff in it.

Do two extra unlock? I was playing it co-op the few chances I got and every time we would end up dying on Stage 5.

Good choice on starting with Galaxy Man. If I recall, he is rather easy to beat with the blaster.

Johnas

Parallax Scroll said:
All seven stages ;)

So you got this on PS3, right? Looks good (normal) on an HDTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom