• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 10 on NA WW. PSN11/03; XBLA31/03. JPN dates post#1020. Bass & DLC in OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me MM9 was one of those things that makes you question whether or not you died somewhere along the line and you've just been living in heaven this whole time unaware.

That and VOOT XBLA.

I discovered the rest of the Robot Masters!

25hcwnl.gif

zmf4vm.gif

ilj30h.gif

124ws2v.gif

Origin of Plug Man and Hornet Man, right here people.

Capcom digging through childrens drawings from 1992 for robot masters in 2008 confirmed.

Oh man, I still have that issue! Ahh memories.

The only thing I sort of miss is beta screenshots.. remember the first pics of Mega Man 4 and the Sphinx robot in Pharoah Man's stage? Hell I think it'd be sort of funny for Capcom to make some mock up screens like that just for fun.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
FANTASTIC news!!! As someone from the 'I Beat Mega Man 9' club, this is very exciting news for me. MM9 was such a blast!!!
I can't wait to clear the Mr. Perfect challenge all over again.

HHHHNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

Sixfortyfive

I hope the 3rd character is just Roll or some shit.

No need for "Sonic's Megaman's shitty friends" to become a video game trope.

With the classic megamans, I've only beaten 1-3 and 7. Whenever I consider buying 9 I think maybe I should beat the rest of the old series first. But the couple of times I started 4 I never really got into it. Help gaf, what should I do?

Also, I would totally bang Mega Woman.

Parallax Scroll said:
With the classic megamans, I've only beaten 1-3 and 7. Whenever I consider buying 9 I think maybe I should beat the rest of the old series first. But the couple of times I started 4 I never really got into it. Help gaf, what should I do?

Skip 4 and 6. Play 5.

5 will make you want 9.

Since Dart Man has a dartboard on his chest, would he be one of those bosses who dies real quick to his own weapon when you fight him a second time, or would he be immune to it?

Arpharmd B said:
Skip 4 and 6. Play 5.

5 will make you want 9.
I rented 5 way back in the day and it was fun. I got to the Wily stages, and then I finally got Beat, and that little fucker didn't help at all. If the consensus is that 5 is a lot better than 4 then maybe I'll give 5 another shot.

Parallax Scroll said:
I rented 5 way back in the day and it was fun. I got to the Wily stages, and then I finally got Beat, and that little fucker didn't help at all. If the consensus is that 5 is a lot better than 4 then maybe I'll give 5 another shot.

5 is my personal favorite tied with 3. General consensus, I don't think 4 gets a lot of love.

Sciz

Arpharmd B said:
Skip 4 and 6. Play 5.

5 will make you want 9.
I'll never understand MM6 hate. Iffy robot masters, but excellent levels, and the Rush armors only add to the replay value.

MM5 is pretty near pure quality though, no doubt.

Sixfortyfive

Parallax Scroll said:

Skip everything and just play MM9. It puts the rest of them to shame.

Parallax Scroll said:

I'm kinda baffled by all the MM5 love. I got it for Christmas way back in the day, and whenever I played it I thought just how BLAH it was compared to 2,3, and 4 which I didn't own at the time, but would rent regularly at the video store until I find my own copies of. Even then 5 woul;d always get the LEAST amount of playtime compared to the rest. Playing with the AST in MMAC is great though. I will say it has a GREAT soundtrack.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
awsm news. Sheepman's music better be the best shit ever.
KevinCow said:
MMZ did some awesome stuff, but was severely hurt by some awful choices, such as, "Yes, everybody loves Mega Man stories, LET'S THROW A ZILLION CUTSCENES IN HERE!" and, "Oh, a stupid empty overworld! They'll love that! Nobody plays Mega Man to just jump right into the action!" and, "Haha, if you fail this stage, you fail it forever!"

I'd kill for a game with MMZ gameplay and graphics (they looked a thousand times better than MMX, by the way) with a MM Classic layout of, "Here's eight levels, play them in whatever order you want. Story? What story?"
I agree so much I'm shaking my fist.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Sciz said:
I'll never understand MM6 hate. Iffy robot masters, but excellent levels, and the Rush armors only add to the replay value.

MM5 is pretty near pure quality though, no doubt.

Truth is, every single game in the classic series is good. Not a single bad one.

2 / 3 / 5 / 8 / 9 = Amazing
1 / 4 / 6 / 7 / & Bass = Great

Unlike the X series:

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 8 = Amazing
5 = Good
6 = Bad
7 = Worst Mega Man game ever developed

Yeah, I'm not sure why 3 doesn't seem to get mentioned that often. I still have my original NES cart from release. I probably enjoy it just as much as 2(which seems to get the most love out of them all).

ZeoVGM

Banned
:lol :lol

How the FUCK did "Black Man" make it into Nintendo Power back then? As a kid I didn't realize it but adults HAD to have noticed.

jarosh

omg rite said:
Truth is, every single game in the classic series is good. Not a single bad one.
yeah. no. see below. (and 8 is fucking awful too)

Parallax Scroll said:

skip 4. seriously. it is by FAR the worst classic mega man. the only one i really despise.

here's a post from another forum i wrote about it:

jarosh said:
mega man 4

wtf happened here? i mean, seriously, this is one of the worst, maybe THE worst mega man game in the whole series. everything screams rushed, it's a huge step down from mm3.

let's get the music out of the way: it's abysmal. absolutely horrifyingly bad. a far far cry from mm3, mm2 and even mm1. just horrible. incoherent, lazy composition without a single memorable melody. oddly enough many tracks don't even use all the available sound channels on the nes. it's all rather puzzling.

the robot masters: jesus fucking christ. worst designed bosses ever. take toad man: he jumps around and makes it rain. the strategy here is to make sure to never stop shooting him so he can't make it rain, because the rain WILL hurt you. what a piece of shit boss. then there's skull man: this guy doesn't even really have a special weapon. he shoots regular arm cannon shots and just moves around the room. wtf? how about bright man: he stops time - this is UNDODGEABLE. he'll shoot you while you can't move. there is NO WAY to avoid this. you can NOT beat this boss without taking damage. great game design. really, pretty much all the bosses are shit in this game, lame attack patterns, lame weapons. plus there are even more enemies with undodgeable attacks.

the level design is a step down from the predecessors, too. there's a ton of completely useless gimmicks and traps that don't add to the gameplay but instead make everything more frustrating and arbitray. same goes for the newly introduced alternate level paths. makes no sense in mega man games and oftentimes you can't tell if you're taking an alternate path or if you're discovering a secret and a dead end or if you're on the way to the boss. it feels like they thought there was a need to add SOMETHING new but didn't quite know what.

glitches. this game has a LOT of glitches and technical issues. there's much more slowdown than in any other mega man game. and for some reason the scrolling is a lot slower, too. there's bizarre sound issues quite frequently. take the subpar boss music: it uses only 2 or 3 (of the available 5) sound channels, yet when the boss' health bar fills up the resulting sound effect cancels out all the channels used by the boss music. what's up with that? it doesn't make any sense. while it's quite common for nes music to use all but one available channel and have the sound effects cancel out one or two when necessary, what happens in mm4 doesn't add up. not only is the boss music extremely bare bones, using a maximum of 3 channels, but for some reason the health bar sound effect also cancels out ALL the channels instead of just one - even though there's at least one, possibly two UNUSED channels available! there's room for all the channels of the music, the channel from the sound effect plus at least one more. instead we get to hear ONE channel cancelling out everything else. how bizarre is that? (i realize no one gives a shit about this but it's just another example of how broken this game is.)

dr. cossack is a lame villain. his castle and his bosses are super easy and so is he himself. there's practically no challenge in fighting them.

mm4 somehow manages to be both frustrating and too easy at the same time. there's no real challenge, most of the later bosses are far too easy to kill, yet every stage features some sort of enemy or trap that's astonishingly unfair and frustrating, even for mega man standards.

I always found it humorous how many extra lives Mega Man 5 always gave you.

I would already have 9 lives by the time I've beaten the 3rd robot master. Every single time.

I've heard only terrible things about 4, 7, and 8.

I actually like 4 a lot. I've managed to beat it without getting hit, AND I think the music is pretty catchy - especially Bright Man, Skull Man, and Dive Man's themes. 7 is okay. I mean, it doesn't play the same as the previous ones. But it's got a nice challenge, and I like all the hidden stuff they threw in there.

MoxManiac

Weird, I thought MM4 had excellent music. Especially Dust Man stage and Skull Man stage. So good.

Oh yeah, Dive Man had great music too.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Hope you guys enjoy 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 over the next two years.
*crosses fingers*

Still kind of shocked to see so many people that gave up on MM9.

Is it a generational thing? I grew up on these titles in the early 90s and found it moderately difficult first run and pretty straightforward every time afterwards.

Teknoman

EmCeeGramr said:

X series? 8 is awesome. 4 is ok, 7...dont do it.
Classic series? 4 is ok (come on who doesnt like Skull Man, Dive Man, and Pharoah Man?), 7 was great, and 8 was great...aside from Elmer Fudd Dr. Light and girly Megaman voice.

MoxManiac said:
Weird, I thought MM4 had excellent music. Especially Dust Man stage and Skull Man stage. So good.

Oh yeah, Dive Man had great music too.

Mox knows whats up.

Dr. Chaos said:
*crosses fingers*

Still kind of shocked to see so many people that gave up on MM9.

Is it a generational thing? I grew up on these titles in the early 90s and found it moderately difficult first run and pretty straightforward every time afterwards.

When you're a kid, you're limited as to how many games you can play. So, the few that you have you tend to want to do everything you can with them. Even the really bad games. The chances of you beating a really hard game were a lot greater when you were younger for this reason.

When you're older, you have more games to play, a shorter attention span, and less time to play games. So, you tend to give up more easily when games frustrate you.

ZeoVGM

Banned
jarosh said:
yeah. no. see below. (and 8 is fucking awful too)

skip 4. seriously. it is by FAR the worst classic mega man. the only one i really despise.

here's a post from another forum i wrote about it:

Yeah, no. 8 is a fucking great Mega Man game. I really can't take anyone seriously who thinks it's bad. :p

And I mean, you also think 6 is better than 4. I don't get that either.

But to each their own.

Teknoman said:
Classic series? 4 is ok (come on who doesnt like Skull Man, Dive Man, and Pharoah Man?), 7 was great, and 8 was great...aside from Elmer Fudd Dr. Light and girly Megaman voice.

Yeah, the voice acting sucked. But 8 is an awesome game. Loved it.

Teknoman

At this rate i'd like to see a Megaman DSiware game. Count me in the "still need to beat MM9" club. Big MM fanboy, but those damn lavafalls in Wily's castle still mess me up.

Off-topic: With Nintendo, Konami, and Capcom going back to make great classic style games...Sega better not screw up Needlemouse.

jarosh

EmCeeGramr said:
7 is the only sort of acceptable one out of the three.
SonicMegaDrive said:
I actually like 4 a lot. I've managed to beat it without getting hit, AND I think the music is pretty catchy - especially Bright Man, Skull Man, and Dive Man's themes. 7 is okay. I mean, it doesn't play the same as the previous ones. But it's got a nice challenge, and I like all the hidden stuff they threw in there.
let's hear some of this CATCHY music from mm4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXMMo_sNgUk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNEZmDqydlM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQbctrbYZg
you liked THIS?

omg rite said:
Yeah, no. 8 is a fucking great Mega Man game. I really can't take anyone seriously who thinks it's bad. :p

And I mean, you also think 6 is better than 4. I don't get that either.

But to each their own.

Yeah, the voice acting sucked. But 8 is an awesome game. Loved it.

i'll just quote my post from another forum again:

jarosh said:
mega man 8

no. THIS is not mega man. it just isn't. none of it. story story story blah blah blah, anime cutscenes, horrible horrible voice acting, story story story, cutscenes cutscenes. fuck that noise. fuck every robot master announcing himself, fuck them uttering stupid lines when they die. fuck mega man's FUCKING PUSSYFIED PERSONALITY complete with the voice and cluelessness of a 7 year old... GIRL. a 7 year old fucking GIRL. fuck all the cutesy bullshit that's gotten completely out of hand here, way worse than in mm7.

fuck clown man and the worst fucking stage in the history of videogames with the fruitiest, most unfitting music in any mega man stage ever. fuck the worst level design in any mega man game. fuck dropping 50 enemies on me, this is NOT mega man. fuck having to wait for the 3d fade in bullshit effect to finish every time i go to switch a weapon. fuck the FUCKING mega ball. who came up with this as a weapon? a ball? a soccer ball i need to kick? are you retarded? i'm fucking mega man. i shoot fucking lasers and bombs and shit. i'm not gonna kick a fucking soccer ball, assholes. and fuck all the bonus bullshit and effects and all the added nonsense. fuck rush, what a useless piece of shit he is in this game.

fuck all the on-rail sequences, jesus christ. fuck the snowboard/jetboard/whatever bullshit. these are the WORST designed autoscroll stages i have ever witnessed. they're so broken, the designers had to put in loud obnoxious YELLING roadsigns that pop up CONSTANTLY, so much in fact that they INTERRUPT each other screaming JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMPJUMPJUMP. i am not fucking kidding. these sequences are super broken. the controls are awful, you constantly have to overcompensate for every slide or jump, every second jump is a leap of faith, you CANNOT see how far you're gonna have to jump because everything is moving so fast and you have extremely limited control over that horrible fucking jetboard. there's like 4 of these things in the game and they are all way too fucking long. every second of this bullshit is too long.

and then there's the auto scroll shoot em up sequences with the gradius like waves of enemies and power ups. WTF. NOT MEGA MAN. FUCK YOU. fuck those stupid goddamn mazes in astro man's stage too. no no no. NOT mega man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeWbgBp5PQg
WTF DR LIGHT? are you falling asleep? STOP FUCKING EATING WHILE YOU TALK TO ME. TAKE THE COCK OUT OF YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU SPEAK! did you just forget my name? FUCKING MEGA MAN. THAT'S MY NAME. FUCK YOU!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XZq34t-ArI
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ha hahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhha aahaahaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

rush? RUSH? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaah EVIL ENERGY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

THIS IS WHAT YOU PEOPLE CALL............................ EVIL ENERGY. IT'S ENERGY. AND IT'S EVIL. GET IT. EVIL ENERGY. IT'S ALSO CONVENIENTLY SHAPED LIKE A SKULL. BECAUSE IT'S EVIL YOU DUMBFUCK. THAT'S WHY.

Davey Cakes

I've actually always liked MM4, and I'm a huge Mega Man fan in general. I'm actually surprised at how much hate it gets. And what's that about the music? I've always really enjoyed the music in that game. In fact, I think MM4 has some of the best and most memorable tunes in the series. If MM4's music is bad, then MM2's is fucking terrible.

Now, for Mega Man 7, I can fully understand the hate. That game is mediocre at best.

In terms of 16-bit Mega Man, good ones are X1-X3 and MM&Bass. Wily Wars and 7 don't compare.

As for Mega Man 8, I didn't even bother to complete it. Something about it didn't click with me, which is weird because MM&Bass is pretty much a spiritual successor and I really like it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Eh, I kinda like MM4's music, jarosh, at least way more than 5's (didn't really play 6). It's true the pieces you selected aren't anything special, but tracks like Pharaoh Man's and Bright Man's are cool in my book.

4 and 5 are rather forgettable overall though... Especially 5. Again, I didn't play 6 all that much, but it really looked boring as hell. Plus, Plantman. 7 sucks, including the music.

Teknoman

Dr. Wily's Castle area 1 in MM9 topped MM2 in my book.

EDIT: I'd like to see them include widescreen for the Wii version as well...if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom