• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 10 on NA WW. PSN11/03; XBLA31/03. JPN dates post#1020. Bass & DLC in OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMX Bandit said:
Do two extra unlock? I was playing it co-op the few chances I got and every time we would end up dying on Stage 5.

Good choice on starting with Galaxy Man. If I recall, he is rather easy to beat with the blaster.
Yeah, and I think you have to get a cumulative A rank (so kill nearly every enemy, destroy all the optional body parts on bosses, and almost never die) over the first 5 stages to reach stages 6 and 7... and I remember some requirement for reaching the boss gauntlet in the second half of stage 5 as well.

Johnas said:
So you got this on PS3, right? Looks good (normal) on an HDTV?
Over HDMI, it looks fantastic. The colors are really bright and well defined, so this looks way better than megaman games did on TVs made 20 years ago.

Damn this is some catchy music.

Johnas

Parallax Scroll said:
Over HDMI, it looks fantastic. The colors are really bright and well defined, so this looks way better than megaman games did on TVs made 20 years ago.

Awesome. I have HDMI too (42" Pioneer Kuro). I hooked the NES up for kicks when I first got it and was not impressed.

Thanks.

Parallax Scroll said:
... and I remember some requirement for reaching the boss gauntlet in the second half of stage 5 as well.
This is where we'd lose the few times we played. After the boss that split in half and took up the top/bottom of the screen we'd get rolled on the next one for some reason. I was figuring since it was a bunch of boss fights in a row it was the end. I wanna see if anyone I know still has a copy now.

Back on topic:
MM9 certainly had its share of catchy tunes, but for some reason the save screen music is the only one that is still stuck with me. It almost sounded like it played louder than anything else in the game but that was probably just me.

Davey Cakes

It's funny to hear people talk about their trips through Wily's Fortress, whether they have an easy time or a ridiculously hard one.

Man, I was so proud of myself when I beat the "Quick Draw X" challenge.

BMX Bandit said:
This is where we'd lose the few times we played. After the boss that split in half and took up the top/bottom of the screen we'd get rolled on the next one for some reason. I was figuring since it was a bunch of boss fights in a row it was the end. I wanna see if anyone I know still has a copy now.

Back on topic:
MM9 certainly had its share of catchy tunes, but for some reason the save screen music is the only one that is still stuck with me. It almost sounded like it played louder than anything else in the game but that was probably just me.
You might consider this a spoiler:

Good luck, you'll need it. The game is NOTHING BUT BOSSES from that point on. I forget, you fight something like 14 bosses in a row if you count different forms.

My fat PS2 stopped reading blue discs, so I actually can't play this anymore. ;_;

Parallax Scroll said:
You might consider this a spoiler:

Good luck, you'll need it. The game is NOTHING BUT BOSSES from that point on. I forget, you fight something like 14 bosses in a row if you count different forms.

My fat PS2 stopped reading blue discs, so I actually can't play this anymore. ;_;
Wow. Now I have to play it again :eek:. It was a spur of the moment rental as I recall, but I really want to see this now. Your last comment has me a bit worried though. My PS2 is also a very old fat model and I haven't bothered testing it in a long time. The last time I did play it the drive sounded horrible.

Johnas

I always really enjoyed Mega Man 4. 3 has always been my favorite though.

I played 5 when it came out and enjoyed it, but just played 6 for the first time last year. It's all right, but I couldn't help but think they used such a gaudy color scheme just to distinguish it from the other titles. I remember a lot of pink and orange, which just looked strange. Kind of like how MM1 used such weird, bland coloring.

I just can't get into 7 or 8, they're just too different. I was ecstatic when I saw MM9 for the first time. And similarly when I saw this thread today.

BMX Bandit said:
Your last comment has me a bit worried though. My PS2 is also a very old fat model and I haven't bothered testing it in a long time. The last time I did play it the drive sounded horrible.

Mine sounded kind of different when I played Gradius V the other day. Do the slims read blue discs?

Arpharmd B said:
Wow I forgot how good 6 was.

6 is actually really underrated. I owned it on NES, and the rush power adapters were so fun to use. Unlimited (limited) flight! You really felt like a badass using that one.

It gets a bad rap because it's just, the game came out in 1993. I mean the Genesis was getting old and here comes a new NES Megaman! Bad timing, and the 6th freaking game in the series. But, now that I really think back, it is actually one of the best games in the series.
MM6 was just a bit too easy. But to be honest, its difficulty was perfect for the 9-year-old OpinionatedCyborg. Really nice graphics, some fairly memorable tunes, those cool powerups, and a few decent bosses... I thought it was one of the more polished games in the series in some ways. The Jet and Power Adapters made the levels very repayable too. For instance, a section in Dr.X level one required a few carefully timed jumps followed by smashing a block, while having the power suit equipped, to reveal a secret part of the level leading almost directly do the boss.

MM NES games are timeless for me. They just do so many things right, from the satisfying sound you get from killing enemies in one mega buster blow to Mega Mans heroic running and jumping animations, it just feels right. And speaking of the Jet Suit, doesn't it sound perfect? Don't the physics for it feel great? There's a pit littered with spikes to your right with a ladder high in the air above it. You run to the right, leap into the air, and then hit the thrusters on your descent. They slow you as you fall, leveling you out just before you die a spiky death, before pulling you up, running out of energy mere milliseconds after you grab the ladder. Really fun!

I'm not opposed to Capcom updating the graphics. Hell, an HD version of MM with old school gameplay would be fantastic. But I don't want the core gameplay to change, I don't want the story to intrude on the game like in the MMX series, and I don't want Mega Man to take up half of the screen.

BMX Bandit said:
Wow. Now I have to play it again :eek:. It was a spur of the moment rental as I recall, but I really want to see this now. Your last comment has me a bit worried though. My PS2 is also a very old fat model and I haven't bothered testing it in a long time. The last time I did play it the drive sounded horrible.
I heard there is also a DVD (not blue disc) version of the game. Do you live in SoCal by chance?

Johnas said:
I always really enjoyed Mega Man 4. 3 has always been my favorite though.

I played 5 when it came out and enjoyed it, but just played 6 for the first time last year. It's all right, but I couldn't help but think they used such a gaudy color scheme just to distinguish it from the other titles. I remember a lot of pink and orange, which just looked strange. Kind of like how MM1 used such weird, bland coloring.

I just can't get into 7 or 8, they're just too different. I was ecstatic when I saw MM9 for the first time. And similarly when I saw this thread today.
I only owned 1-3(and I only still have 3 now), but I got to play quite a few of the others via friends and such. None of them really held my attention as much as 2/3 did though. Those two games are basically what I consider Mega Man to be. The SNES games really never did it for me either for some reason.

Johnas said:
Awesome. I have HDMI too (42" Pioneer Kuro). I hooked the NES up for kicks when I first got it and was not impressed.

Thanks.
When I briefly tried hooking up old consoles to my ex's 50" Panasonic Viera, both NES and SNES had unplayable amounts of flicker. I have a 42" Viera now and I don't think I ever tried hooking the oldies up, but I'm assuming the result would be the same.

Red Scarlet

EmCeeGramr said:
I discovered the rest of the Robot Masters!

25hcwnl.gif

zmf4vm.gif

ilj30h.gif

124ws2v.gif

IIRC, Knight Man from MM6 was from that contest.

Johnas

BMX Bandit said:
I only owned 1-3(and I only still have 3 now), but I got to play quite a few of the others via friends and such. None of them really held my attention as much as 2/3 did though. Those two games are basically what I consider Mega Man to be. The SNES games really never did it for me either for some reason.

I skipped out on the whole X series when it came out, but I played MMX last year also for the first time and really liked it, despite the differences from the original series. However, I got the MMX Anniversary Collection for PS2 and I can't get into any of the other X titles at all. I've also read that the X games get progressively worse anyway, so maybe I'm not missing much.

Parallax Scroll said:
I heard there is also a DVD (not blue disc) version of the game. Do you live in SoCal by chance?
Nope, on the east coast. I have a friend who is a pretty big Contra fan and I'm pretty sure he still owns this. I'll have him check to see if his is the Dvd-rom version. Thanks for the heads up.

Johnas said:
Mine sounded kind of different when I played Gradius V the other day. Do the slims read blue discs?
I think they would but I'm not positive. If I recall, the blue discs are just cd versions instead of being on a DVD. Smaller sized games and early releases mostly used them if I'm remembering right.

edit:
Johnas said:
I skipped out on the whole X series when it came out, but I played MMX last year also for the first time and really liked it, despite the differences from the original series. However, I got the MMX Anniversary Collection for PS2 and I can't get into any of the other X titles at all. I've also read that the X games get progressively worse anyway, so maybe I'm not missing much.
When MMX first came out I had a friend who was really into it. I probably never gave it a fair shot. If it comes up as a virtual console release I'll have to give it another go.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I like Mega Man 4. :(
Only one I don't have that I still want.

Meaning the original NES cart or just in general? Cause you could find the Anniversary Collection somewhere I bet.

SonicMegaDrive said:
You know what MM game had AWESOME music?

Mega Man fucking 9.

If Mega Man 10 comes close to that....

Wily Machine is the best Mega Man Classic final boss theme.

EDIT: Cossack Stage 2 in MM4 is an awesome track, even if every other track in the game blows. And I like Pharoah Man's music.

Red Scarlet

omg rite said:
Meaning the original NES cart or just in general? Cause you could find the Anniversary Collection somewhere I bet.

Since I never got it, I've kind've been wanting to get the Famicom version for S&G.

Sciz

MM6 love from sources that aren't me always puts a smile on my face.

I think more people would appreciate MM7 if they just played the 8-bit remake instead. It's generally a very well designed game, Capcom just dropped the ball on the look and feel of the basic mechanics in their eagerness to make it seem next-gen.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Since I never got it, I've kind've been wanting to get the Famicom version for S&G.

Ah, yeah.

Being the fanboy I am, I want to have the type of Mega Man collection that cvxfreak has for Resident Evil.

Of course that would require money.

jman2050

Sciz said:

I think more people would appreciate MM7 if they just played the 8-bit remake instead. It's generally a very well designed game, Capcom just dropped the ball on the look and feel of the basic mechanics in their eagerness to make it seem next-gen.

Yeah, 7's entire problem was that they completely screwed up the previously tight platforming mechanics for whatever reason. The level design is just as good as it always was. A pity Capcom had to ruin it the first time around.

Mike M

Nick N
Red Scarlet said:
Wind Man too. Thought it was funny back then that one of the winning entries didn't even make the spread in NP.

Man, I remember making up Mega Man bosses all day long with my friend in elementary school. Kinda frightening how many concepts we came up with that got used in the end.

Most of that would stem from the idea of even a blind squirrel finding an acorn or something. But we came up with a "Super Mega Man" together that was freakishly close to MMX. Came up with the armor, the dashing, the wall climbing, the animal themed bosses... It was really kind of spooky...

Teknoman

Still waiting to see if my Blaze Hedgehog or Granite Scorpios makes it into an X series game...whenever the next one comes along.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Sciz said:

Best NES Mega Man outside 5. Level design in 6 is better, but the bosses and Proto Man stages make 5 edge it out, in the end.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
TheCardPlayer said:
Best NES Mega Man outside 5. Level design in 6 is better, but the bosses and Proto Man stages make 5 edge it out, in the end.
I love Mega Man 5 to death... but I would never suggest it as my personal favorite since it's baby-easy. I'd lose so much gamers cred! :lol

Davey Cakes

Parallax Scroll said:
Out of curiosity, have you played Mega Man 2?
Mega Man 2 is good, but a bit over-praised. Yeah, I know right? Weird thing to say.

But, it's true. I've always preferred MM3 to it myself. And, I even think I prefer MM9 at this point. Hearing someone say they prefer MM5 or MM6 doesn't strike me as odd. It's just not a common opinion; it's, in a way, refreshing to hear such a thing.

I especially believe that MM2's soundtrack is overrated. So shoot me. MM3 destroys it in this area.

3 is overall a slightly more solid game than 2, but I love 2 for its music. And I think 2 gets some nostalgia bonus, since it's the one I played first and the most as a kid.

TheCardPlayer

Parallax Scroll said:
And you prefer 5? Why?

Loving 9, btw.

The best group of bosses in the series, great level design, amazing post RM levels. And it's not easy. MM2 is actually by far, the easiest classic Mega Man game. But it's still a goddamn masterpiece though. Sure in terms in pure impact, MM2 is the best, but the latter games refined to formula to a perfect pitch.

I'd actually say that MM9 is simply the best 8-bit MM.

Red Scarlet said:

Wind Man was too. And it seems likely that they pulled Clown man and a few others from the contests. IIRC the Japanese MM bosses after... 2 I think it was were usually designed by fans of the games, it wasn't just 5 and 6.

TheCardPlayer

hikarutilmitt said:
Wind Man was too. And it seems likely that they pulled Clown man and a few others from the contests. IIRC the Japanese MM bosses after... 2 I think it was were usually designed by fans of the games, it wasn't just 5 and 6.

Yeah. I know that Dust Man and Crystal Man were both designed by the same guy.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Teknoman said:
Alright you know? Dual Blob Devil Boss can go jump off a cliff.
Agh! Yes.

That thing pissed me off like no other until I finally got it all down.

Definitely the only part of the game I don't like. Not becuase of difficulty but general style/flow of the battle.

Teknoman

Dr. Chaos said:
Agh! Yes.

That thing pissed me off like no other until I finally got it all down.

Definitely the only part of the game I don't like. Not becuase of difficulty but general style/flow of the battle.

Finally got past that and now im stuck at Wily's final form. Get to the third phase of the battle and I just cant hang in there.

If I go back to the stage select screen, i'll have to start from the beginning of Wily's castle right?

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Teknoman said:
Finally got past that and now im stuck at Wily's final form. Get to the third phase of the battle and I just cant hang in there.

If I go back to the stage select screen, i'll have to start from the beginning of Wily's castle right?
I think so, yes.

It's been a few months since I played but I believe that happened to me the first time around when I clocked out for the night.

Didn't think the game would do that to me, I mean I suspected but didn't think it would follow through but the game is old school MM to the bone. No mercy till the end.

Teknoman

Dr. Chaos said:
I think so, yes.

It's been a few months since I played but I believe that happened to me the first time around when I clocked out for the night.

Didn't think the game would do that to me, I mean I suspected but didn't think it would follow through but the game is old school MM to the bone. No mercy till the end.

Back to the fight then... Man i've been at this on and off for a few hours now :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom