• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 10 on NA WW. PSN11/03; XBLA31/03. JPN dates post#1020. Bass & DLC in OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdac

Never thought they would do another 8-bit Mega Man after 9. This made my day, so excited! The Blue Bomber is back...again!

Man, reading this thread I always feel an odd sense of disconnect with what people are talking about.

Some people are priaising the 8-bit as 'pure' or whatever, others are screaming that they're just pandering nostalgia, and meanwhile when I look at it the first thing that comes to mind is, "Oh. it's 8-bit. Wonder what Robot Masters they have."

(You people espousing classic NES as the best Mega Man need to play Mega Man Zero.)

Fox the Sly

I don't hate the 8-bit style, but personally I'd prefer at least 16-bit as it has more color depth and generally looks better, imo. Either way, I'm still gonna play it. :D

OnPoint

Pureauthor said:
Man, reading this thread I always feel an odd sense of disconnect with what people are talking about.

Some people are priaising the 8-bit as 'pure' or whatever, others are screaming that they're just pandering nostalgia, and meanwhile when I look at it the first thing that comes to mind is, "Oh. it's 8-bit. Wonder what Robot Masters they have."

(You people espousing classic NES as the best Mega Man need to play Mega Man Zero.)

But they already know they're right.

jarosh

Pureauthor said:

i played every classic mega man game on every console (nes, snes, saturn), every gameboy mega man, the genesis remakes, all the mega man x games and most mega man zero games and mega man zx. i really dig the zero series, but i still think the 8-bit ones are the best, have the best music and are the most visually appealing to me. so what?

KevinCow

Banned
Pureauthor said:

MMZ did some awesome stuff, but was severely hurt by some awful choices, such as, "Yes, everybody loves Mega Man stories, LET'S THROW A ZILLION CUTSCENES IN HERE!" and, "Oh, a stupid empty overworld! They'll love that! Nobody plays Mega Man to just jump right into the action!" and, "Haha, if you fail this stage, you fail it forever!"

I'd kill for a game with MMZ gameplay and graphics (they looked a thousand times better than MMX, by the way) with a MM Classic layout of, "Here's eight levels, play them in whatever order you want. Story? What story?"

jarosh said:
i played every classic mega man game on every console (nes, snes, saturn), every gameboy mega man, the genesis remakes, all the mega man x games and most mega man zero games and mega man zx. i really dig the zero series, but i still think the 8-bit ones are the best, have the best music and are the most visually appealing to me. so what?

Nothing, aside from your opinions being WRONG and BAD.

"Haha, if you fail this stage, you fail it forever!"

Pretty sure they took that out from MMZ2 onwards.

And now I'm wondering what Sheep Man's weakness would be. The game's Rolling Cutter variant?

FrostuTheNinja said:
Fine fine fine... I'll post in this one too...

Good news to hear that Capcom is "listening" to fans.

Capcom, listen to this... Trojan.

Capcom replies: Got it !

032305-174559_21-trojan_valuepack-l.jpg
:D

jarosh

Pureauthor said:
Nothing, aside from your opinions being WRONG and BAD.
i love being wrong, sugar cup, if that means we'll be getting more awesome 8-bit mega man games from capcom every year.

I hope Bass is the 3rd character, and I hope this is more "Megaman 3" then "Megaman 6"

Are they going to run this in the ground again? I hope not.

Wily Wars looked like shit on Genesis, not to mention didn't play as good as the NES games.

16-bit Megaman classic failed. MM7 and Wily Wars fail.

They finally got it right with Megaman X on SNES .

Davey Cakes

jarosh said:
mm9 was one of the easier mega mans, you wimps
Definitely not. Not in terms of the NES series, anyway. MM1 and MM2's "difficult" mode are the only competition in terms of difficulty. I grew up playing MM3, 4, 5, and 6, and I also made the effort to play them again after beating MM9, just because I was in a "Mega Man high" and couldn't get enough of these awesome games, and while I love them all, they are actually noticeably easier than MM9 in some cases, even taking into consideration that they're actually technically longer (with the extra fortresses and whatnot).

MM9 wasn't always a challenge (bosses like Galaxy Man and stages like Splash Woman's were a joke), but overall I think it has quite a bit of difficulty. Wily's Fortress is certainly one of the hardest in the series, and as good as I am at Mega Man, I found myself needing e-tanks there much more often than in most of Mega Man's adventures. Especially with MM4, MM5, and MM6, I don't think I ever truly needed an e-tank to beat these games, where I do feel that necessity with MM9.

As as added note, back when MM9 was released I was sort of disappointed that the game didn't add any extra fortresses like MM4-6 or didn't add any extra levels like the doc robot ones in MM3, but I eventually got over it because of how awesome the game still managed to be. But, now that they're making a Mega Man 10, I'm hoping that maybe we will get something extra like that instead of just another return to MM2's formula, though I'm not holding my breath.

As for other features, I actually do feel that the lack of a charge helped balance MM9, so I have no problem with it not coming back. Having a "slide" move would be nice, but something tells me I shouldn't hold my breath for that either.

jarosh

Rash said:
Definitely not. Not in terms of the NES series, anyway. MM1 and MM2's "difficult" mode are the only competition in terms of difficulty. I grew up playing MM3, 4, 5, and 6, and I also made the effort to play them again after beating MM9, just because I was in a "Mega Man high" and couldn't get enough of these awesome games, and while I love them all, they are actually noticeably easier than MM9 in some cases, even taking into consideration that they're actually technically longer (with the extra fortresses and whatnot).

MM9 wasn't always a challenge (bosses like Galaxy Man and stages like Splash Woman's were a joke), but overall I think it has quite a bit of difficulty. Wily's Fortress is certainly one of the hardest in the series, and as good as I am at Mega Man, I found myself needing e-tanks there much more often than in most of Mega Man's adventures. Especially with MM4, MM5, and MM6, I don't think I ever truly needed an e-tank to beat these games, where I do feel that necessity with MM9.

As as added note, back when MM9 was released I was sort of disappointed that the game didn't add any extra fortresses like MM4-6 or didn't add any extra levels like the doc robot ones in MM3, but I eventually got over it because of how awesome the game still managed to be. But, now that they're making a Mega Man 10, I'm hoping that maybe we will get something extra like that instead of just another return to MM2's formula, though I'm not holding my breath.

As for other features, I actually do feel that the lack of a charge helped balance MM9, so I have no problem with it not coming back. Having a "slide" move would be nice, but something tells me I shouldn't hold my breath for that either.
mm2's "difficult mode" is the original difficulty. the easier, standard one was added for western audiences at the time.

and i stand by my assessment that mm9 is one of the easier mega mans. i played through all of them again just recently including the genesis remakes. even mm6 is harder than 9. almost all the gameboy ones are a lot harder and of course the devilish mega man & bass. never needed an e-tank at all in mm9.

i do agree though that there shouldn't be a charge shot again but that the slide would be very welcome.

ZeoVGM

Banned
FUCK YES.

And if the two-player rumor is true, even better! I would have a mental breakdown if they actually added co-op to a classic Mega Man game.

But I do have to say, I was hoping for a 16-bit Mega Man X9 in the style of the SNES games. I think it would have been more fitting. THEN they could do a Mega Man 10.

Rash said:

The story in this one is actually kind of neat and sounds like it COULD potentially set up a second fortress. So we'll see.

Rash said:

A slide move would be cool but I think I'm okay with them leaving out the ability to charge your weapon. That's not a deal breaker for me.

But here's hoping they add L/R quick weapon change.

jarosh said:
and i stand by my assessment that mm9 is one of the easier mega mans. i played through all of them again just recently including the genesis remakes. even mm6 is harder than 9.

Yeah, not agreeing with that at all. 9 was harder than 4-6.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The thing about MM9's difficulty was that it depended entirely on how often you used the robot master weapons. Taken together, MM9 has the best arsenal in the series.

That's probably the biggest reason why I liked it more than MM1 through MM3. They finally realized that they didn't need charge shots or other extra abilities to make the game interesting as long as the robot master weapons were useful and not just gimmicks.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I am so excited for this news, even more excited that it's gonna be made a bit easier... MM9 was amazing but Wily's castle level 2 was a bit TOO ridiculous and made me give up in frustration... never did beat it :p

Glad to see them go back to the 8 bit graphics once again, the gfx look VERY MM5 influenced... especially the truck.

Will go great with New Super Mario Bros Wii. Let the 2D rebirth continue...!!!

Cynar

DR2K said:
I never realized advanced visuals could be considered a crutch. I view it as complementary to the entire package. Although Megaman 10 is a new game, not a remake or a port. I mean I enjoyed playing MM9(the demo at least), but the visuals were pretty jarring to the experience. I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but when visuals get to the point of hurting the overall experience then you have to draw the line. I guess the problem is I've never played the older MM games so I can't appreciate the nostalgic visuals.
:lol the visuals add to the experience. They don't hurt it at all. I guess you said it best in the part I bolded. Perhaps you were to young when the series came out but this is a welcome revival for megaman. :D

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Cynar said:
:lol the visuals add to the experience. They don't hurt it at all. I guess you said it best in the part I bolded. Perhaps you were to young when the series came out but this is a welcome revival for megaman. :D

Yeah. I still remember going to the videostore and renting Mega Man 5/6 along with Freddy's Dead and having a total blast. Mega Man shaped my goddamn childhood. I mean, I can't be the only one who cutout the MM art from Nintendo Power mags and drew some levels on sheets of paper, to make their own paper Mega Man!

MM9 and now MM10, is like my childhood being extended. It's such an amazing feeling. If you missed the NES era, then you are probably too young to enjoy this.

lyre

What are these e-tanks and robot powers that keep getting mentioned here?

Are they some sort of vehicle used in one of those lesser known spinoffs?

ZeoVGM

Banned
lyre said:
What are these e-tanks and robot powers that keep getting mentioned here?

Are they some sort of vehicle used in one of those lesser known spinoffs?

Okay, I'm with AntiHawk now.

I don't get it.

How did I somehow know this was going to happen?

Hope you guys enjoy 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 over the next two years.

You know what would have really been bold and shocking? A beautiful, new 2-D entry to mark the 10th game in the series. Because once the novelty wears thin, you have a rom hack. And before anyone asks, I bought 9 and enjoyed it, mostly due to the novelty factor.

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:

You know what would have really been bold and shocking? A beautiful, new 2-D entry to mark the 10th game in the series. Because once the novelty wears thin, you have a rom hack. And before anyone asks, I bought 9 and enjoyed it, mostly due to the novelty factor.

Capcom loves me, but they don't love me THAT much.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
X9 would be difficult because they fucked the story and time lines so much already. There isn't too much left unless they did a reboot.

Not that I wouldn't like to see them try. Megaman X is one of my favorite games of all time

jman2050

I will enjoy them, quite a bit in fact

Isn't that exactly what we're getting?

ZeoVGM

Banned

Good point. Because having 10 come out a year and a half after 9 is pretty much the same thing as getting 8 more games in the next 2 years. That wasn't stupid hyperbole which failed to prove a point at all.

You know what would have really been bold and shocking? A beautiful, new 2-D entry to mark the 10th game in the series.

Uh, that's what we're getting...

Because once the novelty wears thin, you have a rom hack.

That's like saying Mega Man 2-6 were rom hacks. Enough of that crap. It's a legitimate sequel that uses 8-bit graphics because it makes a lot of people happy.

Once the novelty wears thin, I have a great game to play.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
gkrykewy said:
That is amazing. I think I beat one level :(

I grew up on the Mega Man games and played them to death. They are ALL about pattern memorization. Once you nail that concept down, the games really are not that difficult.

You should definitely give it another try. :D

I had MM9 on PS3 so i missed out on the trophies that we never got....can't wait to see the list for MM10!!

You know what would have really been bold and shocking? A beautiful, new 2-D entry to mark the 10th game in the series.

That bold, modern, and beautiful 2-D entry to the series was Megaman 8.

And can we really, really stop with the "rom-hack" meme. Please. Show me a Megaman rom hack that has an original score, bosses, and stage design .01% as good as MM9.

And no that amazing 8-bit MM7 remake for PC does not count (although, if there were a group of guys who could do a homebrew MM10 justice, it would be them).

I mean for fucks sake people. I mean how many people would die for new Super Mario World/3 by Miyamoto himself, complete with NES style music and graphics. Oh, screw you Miyamoto, we don't want your shitty rom hack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom