• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post-CNN GOP debate poll: Fiorina surges to 2nd place, Furby falls 8% points

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
What is Pataki doing? Like does he have any money?
He has the endorsement of two, yes, TWO, New Hampshire State Senators. There's only 14 Republican State Senators!

He's basically going "all in" on New Hampshire because he's 70 and got nothing better to do.

benjipwns

Banned
I'd like to know this as well. We don't even know if he's still alive.
He was just at the debate towering over everyone and looking menacing with Santorum:
-1a6d3a39039144da.JPG

Or just towering over Lindsey Graham:
CNN-Republican-Presidential-Debate-Reuters-e1442449866421.jpg

CNN poll has been overstating some of these non-Trump candidate numbers consistently. I suspect Fiorina is closer to 9-10% as shown in other polls.

Did you even see the debate? Only guy who was making sense. He was in support of ending war on drugs, communicating to other nations instead of using force and called out Jeb's hypocrisy.

That was Benji's point. The Republican base largely does not support sensible foreign policy or ending the War on Drugs, which is exemplified by the poll results.

SURGEdude

Rubio is the only slightly scare one in a the general. Still think he would have to really outperform with hispanics to take it home though. I would find it really ironic if the republicans managed to take the popular but lose electoral count which is almost impossible for them not to.

Rubio is their only chance to maybe bring a few states into play and make them viable in a national election for one of the last few times before the demographic shift kneecaps them to statewide and local viability only. Then in 15 years they won't be viable in the senate either. Gerrymandering will ensure stuff like congress and below will be where their strength is after than.

Wish I could say I can't wait, but I do hope somebody hopefully on the left steps up so we don't just have eternal one party rule which is where we're headed unless something really cataclysmic occurs.

Nerokis

I don't feel HP has ever really recovered. The company sputtered from strategy to strategy and CEO to CEO (and scandal to scandal) over the last 10 years and is about to split into two to slough off its low margin (and legacy) business, which so happens to be the one Fiorina made the priority of the company through her acquisition of Compaq.

Times have certainly changed, but the move never made sense. Who buys low margin growth? I don't get it.

Not sure I would completely agree with that characterization, at least based on what I've read about this subject. Fiorina-Hurd seems to have been more a refinement in execution than a fundamental change in strategy, and the overall result was to put HP on more competitive footing again. Now, that didn't quite last post-Hurd, and things haven't looked particularly bright for HP for some time. But things have also changed a lot over the past decade, and it's hard to pin HP's recent troubles on decisions she made more than a decade ago.

Either way, few objective people would say she was anything more than mediocre as HP's CEO. Her time there didn't show she was good at running a large, complicated organization. It also seems hyperbolic to call her a complete failure, though, or to accuse her of running HP into the ground. That doesn't seem borne out by the facts.

What made him a strong candidate? His terrible economic and jobs record? His hatred of the working class, women, education, and immigrants? His illegal fundraising?

He had credibility with both conservatives and moderates, his electoral record in Wisconsin gave him a good argument for his electability in a general election, and earlier on he had a significant lead in Iowa. He seems to me someone who can make conservatives love him, and at the time convince the establishment to back him. Chances are he'll still have some opportunities down the line to capitalize on those strengths, but who knows.

Kasich is the only candidate with a shred of a chance in the general. He comes across as moderate, intelligent, non-Kool Aid drinking, and with a little bit of modernity to his ideas. The rest come across as either dumb, anachronistic, out-of-touch, or outright loathsome. The one exception to that characterization is Rand Paul, who is spot-on on foreign and domestic policy in the way many moderate libertarians tend to be spot-on in those areas, but he comes across so poorly on economic issues that he has no real chance unless Silicon Valley libertarianism comes to replace the current GOP ethos.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
the fact that Trump is leading still is as or MORE baffling

the Republican base are some of the worst people on earth

Kasich is the only candidate with a shred of a chance in the general. He comes across as moderate, intelligent, non-Kool Aid drinking, and with a little bit of modernity to his ideas. The rest come across as either dumb, anachronistic, out-of-touch, or outright loathsome. The one exception to that characterization is Rand Paul, who is spot-on on foreign and domestic policy in the way many moderate libertarians tend to be spot-on in those areas, but he comes across so poorly on economic issues that he has no real chance unless Silicon Valley libertarianism comes to replace the current GOP ethos.

Yep. Kasich probably wouldn't be the worst person to have elected. If he won, I wouldn't be terribly upset aside from the fact that the rest of his party is batshit nuts.

RoKKeR

I might be less ok with Fiorina making a charge than Trump. Seriously, she was over the top in that debate. Bunch of fear and war-mongering horse shit...

Me thinks the "Muslims are killing real Americans" guy delivered Trumph's first blow to the armor.

No the first blow came when trump called Carly over her appearance, then the second when she called him out on it and the one which sealed the deal was the Muslims question guy

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Not sure I would completely agree with that characterization, at least based on what I've read about this subject. Fiorina-Hurd seems to have been more a refinement in execution than a fundamental change in strategy, and the overall result was to put HP on more competitive footing again. Now, that didn't quite last post-Hurd, and things haven't looked particularly bright for HP for some time. But things have also changed a lot over the past decade, and it's hard to pin HP's recent troubles on decisions she made more than a decade ago.

Either way, few objective people would say she was anything more than mediocre as HP's CEO. Her time there didn't show she was good at running a large, complicated organization. It also seems hyperbolic to call her a complete failure, though, or to accuse her of running HP into the ground. That doesn't seem borne out by the facts.

He had credibility with both conservatives and moderates, his electoral record in Wisconsin gave him a good argument for his electability in a general election, and earlier on he had a significant lead in Iowa. He seems to me someone who can make conservatives love him, and at the time convince the establishment to back him. Chances are he'll still have some opportunities down the line to capitalize on those strengths, but who knows.

I'm not counting Mark Hurd. He was an "interim" CEO in a lot of ways, taking over shortly after Fiorina was fired and navigating a difficult period in the company's history, so it makes sense that he was from the same strain as she was. He left in personal scandal. I'm more talking about corporate scandal-- the spying scandal, the Autonomy scandal, FCPA issues, etc. Basically I mean I'm not counting him against them.

In any case, I think it's totally fair to say that "she drove the company into the ground" is exaggeration. She was pretty bad and demonstrated no vision or ability to innovate, but it's not like the company went noninvestment grade and sold off half its operations.

Kusagari

Kasich continues to fool everyone.

Outside of expanding medicare and not hating gay people he's in lockstep with the rest of his party. The man is just brilliant at hiding it.

I love how she talks about putting missiles back in Poland like it's no big deal.

Um, maybe Poland might have a problem with that kinda entitlement? Maybe ASK them first if they'll LET us?

Ben Ghazi

Banned
I love how she talks about putting missiles back in Poland like it's no big deal.

Um, maybe Poland might have a problem with that kinda entitlement? Maybe ASK them first if they'll LET us?

There was a huge shitstorm back when it was considered. It would be even worse today.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
When you account for the margin of error there's basically three tiers now:

Trump 21-27%

Fiorina 12-18%
Carson 11-17%
Rubio 8-14%
Bush 6-12%

Cruz/Huckabee 3-9%
Paul 1-7%
Christie 0-6%
Kasich 0-5%
Santorum 0-4%
Jim Gilmore/Lindsey Graham/Bobby Jindal/George Pataki/Scott Walker 0-3%

Unless it swings back Trump's way the summer of Trump is looking to be over.

Fiorina is a flash in the pan. She is only doing well because Trump decides to make her the topic of discussion.

It all comes to Trump in the end.

Kasich continues to fool everyone.

Outside of expanding medicare and not hating gay people he's in lockstep with the rest of his party. The man is just brilliant at hiding it.
Is he? Republicans who did much of their governing in the 90s are far more tolerable to me than the new era of tea party types.

Ominym

Banned
And start another Cold War with Russia. She is hawkish as shit, and the republican base is eating it up.

I couldn't even believe some of the shit she spewed during the debate. With absolutely no hesitation or sense of irony she outright mandated she'd cut ties with Russia and arm surrounding nations.

She is nuts. Like, I'd rather have Trump than her nuts. And that's saying something.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The hosts of Morning Joe on MSNBC were going gaga over her the next morning of the debate.

Why are the 24 hours news network pushing her?

Because, it gets ratings to have the front runner change every few weeks. It's how it was the last election.

Eventually they cycle through all the crazies and then they land on the establishment.

Ogodei

Rubio isn't ready for prime time. He could be a force to contend with in the future, but now he's just wasting his Senate seat.

I think Jeb will come back if Trump flames out, although at this point Trump is looking stronger.

Walker's going to go to the kids' table next.

LosDaddie

Banned
Rubio will surely be on in at least a Vice Prez capacity, no?

It's always been a Bush/Rubio/Walker race, with Rubio or Martinez getting the VP slot. The GOP is absolutely going after the Hispanic vote in the general. Walker is really the only surprise so far. He's done little to get the base excited.

Kusagari

Is he? Republicans who did much of their governing in the 90s are far more tolerable to me than the new era of tea party types.

One of Kasich's first acts as governor was to strip collective bargaining rights like Walker did. The law was put to referendum afterward and 61% of voters voted to repeal it. He's been ridiculously anti-abortion, defunding Planned Parenthood and mandating ultrasounds. He passed sweeping tax cuts to help the rich. He's one of those guys, like Rubio, who acknowledges climate change while doing nothing to actually stop it.

The man is as "moderate" as Jeb is.

Ogodei

It's always been a Bush/Rubio/Walker race, with Rubio or Martinez getting the VP slot. The GOP is absolutely going after the Hispanic vote in the general. Walker is really the only surprise so far. He's done little to get the base excited.

It would look like blatant pandering if the VP debate was Castro vs Rubio, frankly. I think whoever commits first will likely get a hispanic and someone will have to draw elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom