• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Japanese magazine news

ivysaur12

Banned
I wish we had bigger Treasure Island Z shots... I can't tell if I like it or not, or if it looks good graphically. But Capcom sure does love their point-and-click adventure games, don't they?

Busty

Banned
klee123 said:
I dunno, I highly doubt that Sony would even bother with this partnership if it didn't concern PS3 games.

Assuming that PS3 games are in production, I wonder if Sony will also try to keep some of Namco only IP's to Sony's consoles such as Ace Combat and Tekken. I mean, it's possible.

For what's it's worth. My own personal theory is that all of NAMCO's 'next gen' games will be developed by CELLIUS effectively making NAMCO a second party developer for Sony when it comes to next gen.

Seeing as the likes of Tekken 6 will be in the arcade running on hardware that's based on the PS3 it certains isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Though it won't effect their output for the likes of the Wii, PS2, DS etc, it basically means that there won't be any NAMCO games on the 360, though it won't effect Bandai's 360 (or otherwise) output.

Again, just a theory but that's what I think CELLIUS will be.

Jonnyram

What you're not understanding is that CELLIUS does not have rights to use BANDAI NAMCO IP. They are a separate company and must register their own. Otherwise the whole deal would be highly suspicious.

Kafel

Banned
Thx for the news again.

I hope the next game revealed by Capcom for the Wii will be RE or Inafune's project.

Busty

Banned
Jonnyram said:
What you're not understanding is that CELLIUS does not have rights to use BANDAI NAMCO IP. They are a separate company and must register their own. Otherwise the whole deal would be highly suspicious.

I do understand the nature of IP, their copyrights, and how they pertain to individual rights holders and those who licence them. At one point such an understanding was nicely paying my mortgage. ;)

The example I used was when film studios co-finance and co-distribute films. In theory CELLIUS could act as a third party when it comes to IPs that NAMCO owns.

For example, Soul Caliber, if that game were to be a PS3 exclusive, developed by CELLIUS, then both Sony and Namco would co-finance the game through CELLIUS. NAMCO would be paid a licence fee for use of the IP by CELLIUS. The rights would ulitmately still lie with NAMCO.

They could both finance the game off of their bottom lines without effecting their annual figures as they would both be outside investors in the project.

That way, if CELLIUS did go tits up and was a disaster, then everyone walks away from the table with what they entered with (except all the money they lost :(... ), NAMCO walks away with full ownership of their original IPs.

Such things happen all the time. I wouldn't surprise me if such a thing was happening. But seeing as it's all in the air and no one really knows, they could very well be working on original IP.

I'm not saying this is or will certainly happen. But, it is feasible for them to be doing NAMCOs next gen output.

PS - Thanks for the Japanese news. It's appreciated. :D

icecream

Public Health Threat
Busty said:
Though it won't effect their output for the likes of the Wii, PS2, DS etc, it basically means that there won't be any NAMCO games on the 360, though it won't effect Bandai's 360 (or otherwise) output.
So, no Namco games at all, even the ones that have already been released?

And both Japanese and English sites reported the deal with CELLIUS as non-PS3 and PS3. It may not be clear at this point, but to just assume it as an exclusive lock in is more far-fetched than just an another joint venture.

theultimo

Jonnyram said:
The full title is:
「シンプルDSシリーズVol、14 THE自動車教習所DS~原動機付自転車・普通自動二輪・大型自動二輪・普通自動車・普通自動車二種・中型自動車・大型自動車・大型自動車二種・大型特殊自動車・けん引~」

Yyyyyyeah :/

Sounds like fun actually, Autos and Motorcycles, hoping it will be a good learning sim for the streets.

Link1110

ivysaur12 said:
I wish we had bigger Treasure Island Z shots... I can't tell if I like it or not, or if it looks good graphically. But Capcom sure does love their point-and-click adventure games, don't they?
is that what it is? It looks very Wind Waker-esque, and Capcom has done Zelda games before. I'm not holding my breath for an all-out Zelda clone, but it would be awesome.

MoxManiac

Z3F said:
And it still got review scores of 9,8,8,8? I thought Famitsu was the EGM of Japan, not the Gamepro of Japan. Or maybe they just added up the scores that each game would have gotten seperately.

Yes it did, because DW and SW are ball bustingly awesome.

Top Bottom