• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Has Rachel McAdams had any really serious roles or any great performances? I'm really afraid McConaughey and Harrelson were lightning in a bottle.

Midnight in Paris and A Mosted Wanted Man.

She was great in About Time too. Thoug, that's not really a drama role. I'm convinced she can pull this off.

CassSept

Farrell looks perfect. I don't even know what exactly they are going for since besides cast and setting I have no idea what the direction is in season 2, but he looks just perfect.

Farrell looks amazing. McAdams too. But photos were popping up since November.
Here's Vince Vaughn

39bc5d9b26715bdfa24e7bb8e83fbec5.jpg
Downtown L.A., mustachio'd Farrell, ripped pants McAdams... I'm getting hyped.
Same here. The only thing missing is Michael Mann.

Schrade

Getting pumped for this. Colin looks funny with a stache and Rachel looks awesome as usual.

I hope Vince being in this doesn't mess things up for me. It's hard to see him as a serious actor after all the comedy stuff he's been in.

Getting pumped for this. Colin looks funny with a stache and Rachel looks awesome as usual.

I hope Vince being in this doesn't mess things up for me. It's hard to see him as a serious actor after all the comedy stuff he's been in.

To be fair McConaughey's comedies were a lot worse than Vaughan's comedies.

Akahige

I thought she was pretty good in A Most Wanted Man.
She was the worst part of film, no charisma, no thought put into the role, she was going through the lines like she read them that afternoon, and don't get me started on whatever accent she was doing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally got around to watching this. Watched six episodes back to back, went to bed, woke up and watched the last two. Far and away some of the best television I've ever seen. The sceptic in me says there's no way Season 2 will match the first, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited.

Cary Fukunaga is being replaced by a multitude of directors so you are likely right.

Still, like you said it's impossible not to be excited.

Not just that, but the time Pizzalato has spent on this story versus S1's is very different.

That said, I've never met a pizza man who didn't deliver.

FafaFooey

Anyone know if this is being shot on film like season 1 or are they switching to digital? The way too clean look of the digitally shot Better Call Saul has me worried.

Season 2 will most likely premiere in June
In Russia we have VOD service called Amediateka. They have contract with HBO and release their every show around 12-18 hours after USA airing. Same with Cinemax, some of Showtime shows and Starz. I received email from them with dates for shows they'll air.
And True Detective Season 2, Ballers and The Brink are scheduled for June. It's not the first time they revealed premiere date before official press-release.

9228bfadd0011dca5d604c71843f1cce.jpg

Fjordson

Season 2 will most likely premiere in June
In Russia we have VOD service called Amediateka. They have contract with HBO and release their every show around 12-18 hours after USA airing. Same with Cinemax, some of Showtime shows and Starz. I received email from them with dates for shows they'll air.
And True Detective Season 2, Ballers and The Brink are scheduled for June. It's not the first time they revealed premiere date before official press-release.

9228bfadd0011dca5d604c71843f1cce.jpg
Damn, that'd be great. I was expecting like late fall or even Q4 at the earliest. And hopefully this means an opening for Westworld in the fall now.

Ricky_R

Season two won't have nearly the same atmosphere as season one, won't it?

I recently watched season 1 and the atmosphere hit me straight in the face just seconds in. It set the tone in a way that I couldn't stop watching the damn thing. So well written, acted and directed. Mathew and Woody's chemistry on screen was marvelous. One thing I also enjoyed a lot, among all the mystery and serious tone, was the funny exchanges and lines here and there throughout the show. They were few and far between, but they balanced all the drama quite nicely.

Hopefully season 2 is great. I think Colin Farrell is a great fit for this show, btw.

Have to say, I really dislike the new main cast. Especially coming after how awesome Harrelson and Mcconaughey were. Really not a fan of either Vaughn or Farrell. Or Rachel McAdams. Or Taylor Kitsch. Feels like it's going from something really authentic to this weird Hollywood thing.

NeoGiff

Have to say, I really dislike the new main cast. Especially coming after how awesome Harrelson and Mcconaughey were. Really not a fan of either Vaughn or Farrell. Or Rachel McAdams. Or Taylor Kitsch. Feels like it's going from something really authentic to this weird Hollywood thing.

You're so right, why should even bother waiting to see what they're like in the show?

big ander

There are valid reasons to not like this cast as much as McConaughey and Harrelson. This is not one. Those two guys are actors who toiled on garbage projects and had zero prestige for a fair while. And they sure as hell weren't outside the Hollywood system. They were deeply, deeply in Hollywood. So if that's your idea of inauthentic, the first season was already a sham.

styl3s

Target Exclusive Steelbook. No idea when it'll be coming to stores, but we know what it will look like:

true-detective-season-1-blu-ray-steelbook-target-exclusive-bild-news.jpg
Pretty sure next to hbo it says Only at "target store icon". It even has their shitty plastic slip they use on a few of their exclusive blu-rays (like the hunger games stuff)

if they just give kitsch half the charm he had in friday night lights then he'll be fine. and i've always liked farrell and vaughn even if many of their projects been shit.

Something like Mulholland Drive would be pretty cool, especially since that was written as a TV pilot.

Fjordson

if they just give kitsch half the charm he had in friday night lights then he'll be fine. and i've always liked farrell and vaughn even if many of their projects been shit.
Agreed.

I keep saying it, but I really think Kitsch will surprise people. I've enjoyed him when he's been given decent material. Like did you see The Normal Heart on HBO? He was really great in that.

yeah honestly he was the best performance on that, plus this role is likely going to play to his strengths. they cast him for a reason, they had a lot of options too I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom