• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Firestorm said:
Well, you did quote someone who said tiers only matter at highest level of play >_>;; I don't know why you replied to that with Link is your best character. I mean, Young Link is my best character.

Although that's kind of a lie =/ After about two weeks of using Sheik on and off my Sheik was already probably better but I hate admitting that. I can't use Sheik properly either ._.;

Nintendo. Boost Young Link. Please. That's of course assuming you bastards don't take him out >=(

1. Young Link is removed.

or

2. Young Link replaced by WW Link.

If I say it enough Sakurai will listen.

My best character is Fox but I thought I was too good so I switched to Mario.

Firestorm

IAmtheFMan said:
We need to ban the word "tier" from GAF.

Don't worry, I think we've gone through the wavedashing and tier argument now. Once we get past another items argument GAF will almost be at the stage GameFAQs is at.

superbank said:
1. Young Link is removed.

or

2. Young Link replaced by WW Link.

If I say it enough Sakurai will listen.

You're going straight to hell.
OoT/MM YLink or bust.

woxel1

Firestorm said:
Don't worry, I think we've gone through the wavedashing and tier argument now. Once we get past another items argument GAF will almost be at the stage GameFAQs is at.
All items are equal, but some items are more equal than others.

Firestorm

woxel1 said:
All items are equal, but some items are more equal than others.

Oh shit item tier argument. That'll be good :lol

Bunny Ears holding Screw Ball ftw. (no seriously, it feels godlike, try it).

Nintaiyo

underfooter said:
I think I figured out the landing/fighting points from the screen shots.

1. The statue area.
2. The right area (fruit market from SMS)
3. The tower with obvious platforms.
4. The left area on top of and in-between the two buildings (like the Earthbound levels)

Did you count this one?
stage02_070601d-l.jpg

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they made the beach a landing point as well. Either that or one of the small islands off the coast.

Scum

Mr. Game & Watch better be there! Any character that brings a chair and a frying pan to a melee deserves my respeckt! :lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
GaimeGuy said:
Azen is probably top 20 players in the US, when he plays serious.

3rd place, huh?

Either there were other pros there, or Azen was using a low tier. He plays everyone well... I'd bet he was using Luigi at that tourney (he's one of the best luigi players out there)

This mentality is so broken. The online SSBM community seems to think that they're the only ones playing the game. I'd wager to say that the ENTIRITY of their community is probably in the bottom 50% of SSBM players when it comes to skill. Yes, that's a bullshit stat based on nothing, but the point is that there are SO many people playing this game that don't feel the need to regularly attend tournaments and talk about it online.

I mean, seriously. Top 20 players in the US? Among who, the scant fraction of the SSBM-playing-community that feels the need to identify themselves online? He could have easily been beaten at that particular tournament by guys who play the crap out of the game in their own circle of friends and don't register with the inane online SSBM-group-think.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
GaimeGuy said:
Azen is probably top 20 players in the US, when he plays serious.

3rd place, huh?

Either there were other pros there, or Azen was using a low tier. He plays everyone well... I'd bet he was using Luigi at that tourney (he's one of the best luigi players out there)

Oh god, this was back in '02 maybe... don't really remember too much aside from listening to ISOS3 on the way home and my friend kept playing Southern Sun over and over again :lol I wanna say he was playing Marth, the winner was some shy Asian kid with some weird name that began with an H, that kicked ass with Peach. This tourney is where my friends and I (we all went to SUNY Buffalo, and had a club based on Smash there) first learned how to wavedash and Samus's extended grapple beam trick.

Eteric Rice

If they can get Brawl online, and internet connections improve over time... Well, that's going to be really interesting who emerges as skilled players.

Firestorm

Tathanen said:
This mentality is so broken. The online SSBM community seems to think that they're the only ones playing the game. I'd wager to say that the ENTIRITY of their community is probably in the bottom 50% of SSBM players when it comes to skill. Yes, that's a bullshit stat based on nothing, but the point is that there are SO many people playing this game that don't feel the need to regularly attend tournaments and talk about it online.

I mean, seriously. Top 20 players in the US? Among who, the scant fraction of the SSBM-playing-community that feels the need to identify themselves online? He could have easily been beaten at that particular tournament by guys who play the crap out of the game in their own circle of friends and don't register with the inane online SSBM-group-think.

Oh shut up. The online SSBM community does not think they're the only ones playing the game. You think that they think they're the only ones playing the game. You cannot get better without attending tournaments. You cannot get better without playing a variety of players. This is a fact of every game, sport, and whatever else people compete in. Your mindgames will not be developed. You will not have had experience with the tactics used.

If they play the crap out of the game with their own circle of friends, they will not have the experience to win against the people who play against people across the nation. Basically, what my friend said about playing the "pro" in question here (Azen): "He hit me and knew where I would move to next before I did" and my friend here is one of the Top 5 in British Columbia easily. However, at that point he only really played in BC tournaments. Since then (think it was MLG Seattle) he's gone to Edmonton, Seattle a couple of times, and to 0C2 in California to play some Smash.

Again, not saying this about Smash. This applies to EVERYTHING.

djtiesto said:
Oh god, this was back in '02 maybe... don't really remember too much aside from listening to ISOS3 on the way home and my friend kept playing Southern Sun over and over again :lol I wanna say he was playing Marth, the winner was some shy Asian kid with some weird name that began with an H, that kicked ass with Peach. This tourney is where my friends and I (we all went to SUNY Buffalo, and had a club based on Smash there) first learned how to wavedash and Samus's extended grapple beam trick.

Hayato I think his game name is.

why don't you guys open another thread for tier discussion and leave this one for those of us who wish to discuss the daily updates?

this thread reeks now

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Firestorm said:
You're going straight to hell.
OoT/MM YLink or bust.

:lol Its so gonna happen. Oot and MM are not as relevant anymore. Delfino Plaza was turned into a stage even though people think it wasn't that good. They're open to putting GC era content in the game even though the GC didn't sell good. They had their chance in Melee to make OoTMM Link and they made him a clone character instead.

And cel-shading looks nice.

Firestorm

Oh shit. That picture is win. Beats mine by a mile :D

..pakbeka.. said:
why don't you guys open another thread for tier discussion and leave this one for those of us who wish to discuss the daily updates?

this thread reeks now

Why do you expect to enter a Smash Bros. thread without people bitching? Accept it!

superbank said:
:lol Its so gonna happen. Oot and MM are not as relevant anymore. Delfino Plaza was turned into a stage even though people think it wasn't that good. They're open to putting GC era content in the game even though the GC didn't sell good. They had their chance in Melee to make OoTMM Link and they made him a clone character instead.

And cel-shading looks nice.

no u
And I like clones =( I don't see why there's so much hate for them.

Cosmozone

superbank said:
:lol Its so gonna happen.
:lol And I will laugh in the face of the retros. But somehow I had the feeling that the most recent update had to be about Kirby. That Pikachu was added, too, was a nice surprise. And man, the background scenery for the recovery update is beautiful. I noticed we're getting into interesting territory for characters soon. Only Fox and Samus to go, and then what's left are only newcomers and characters that haven't been shown yet.

Firestorm

Cosmozone said:
:lol And I will laugh in the face of the retros. But somehow I had the feeling that the most recent update had to be about Kirby. That Pikachu was added, too, was a nice surprise. And man, the background scenery for the recovery update is beautiful. I noticed we're getting into interesting territory for characters soon. Only Fox and Samus to go, and then what's left are only newcomers and characters that haven't been shown yet.

Like Young Link! ^_^

Haunted

BrandNew said:
Wow, see this is EXACTLY why I ****ing hate elitist videogamers. The both of you who said that, you're being pricks. I've beaten PLENTY of Fox players who think they're the shit...with, guess what? Link. I don't give a shit about "tiers." I excell with one character, and I'm fairly good with him. Am I ****ing...what do you call him, Azen? No, hell no I'm not. But I don't care, in my group of friends, who're all pretty good with Marth, Sheik, and Captain Falcon and Fox, I always win with Link.

Whatever, I hope to **** I don't play these people online, it's not going to be fun at all.
QFT!

These people are ****ing annoying. Snaking in Mario Kart DS, hacking in Tetris, playing without items in goddamn Smash Brothers... I'll never understand that shit.

Haunted One said:
QFT!

These people are ****ing annoying. Snaking in Mario Kart DS, hacking in Tetris, playing without items in goddamn Smash Brothers.

You do realize that the three things you just mentioned have technically nothing in common, right ?

jrricky

Banned
I was just rewatching the Nintendo World Trailer on the home website and I noticed something. The WAVEDASHING is IN. So anybody who was worried that the wavedashing mechanic would be taken out can be rest assured that it will be there.

If anyone wants to see what I am talking about, go watch the trailer and when it gets to the snake part, pay close attention to when he is fighting PIT. He hits PIT up then dodges left, then WAVEDASHES forward and uses his rocket. Go check it out. I never noticed it until now.:):

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/movies/movie02.html

Haunted

Holy Order Sol said:
You do realize that the three things you just mentioned have technically nothing in common, right ?
Of course they don't. I'll tell you what they have in common, though: they take the fun out of the game.

Well, that's not entirely true - Smash Brothers is still fantastic without items, but no comparison to the game with all items enabled. All imo, of course.

Artanisix

jrricky said:
I was just rewatching the Nintendo World Trailer on the home website and I noticed something. The WAVEDASHING is IN. So anybody who was worried that the wavedashing mechanic would be taken out can be rest assured that it will be there.

If anyone wants to see what I am talking about, go watch the trailer and when it gets to the snake part, pay close attention to when he is fighting PIT. He hits PIT up then dodges left, then WAVEDASHES forward and uses his rocket. Go check it out. I never noticed it until now.:):

Either that or he starts the running animation and cancels his run by holding Down, which would lead me to believe his Down+B special is the stinger (or perhaps it's his down smash akin to Mewtwo's dsmash).

Dr.Hadji

Tathanen said:

:lol :lol

When ever someone says this I aways think about DBZ. The Smash community is the Hercule . Just putting on a big show for the masses while the true talent ( the casuals ) use their greater powers to save the world. This reasoning is pure fantasy.

Firestorm

Haunted One said:
Of course they don't. I'll tell you what they have in common, though: they take the fun out of the game.

Well, that's not entirely true - Smash Brothers is still fantastic without items, but no comparison to the game with all items enabled. All imo, of course.

And other people have fun without items or fun with snaking. So stop bitching about how other people play. It doesn't affect you.

Proven

jrricky said:

Looking at it again, I'm pretty sure that's not wave dashing. As Artanisix said, he's starting the running animation, but then cancels and attacks.

Also, usually when you wavedash you end up in a ducking animation, but he's still in his standing animation. Sure, there is a split second of animation changes that I could have misinterpreted as not running to cancel to stand and instead it was the wave-dash causing the ducking animation and then to standing. But I doubt it.

jrricky

Banned
Proven said:
Looking at it again, I'm pretty sure that's not wave dashing. As Artanisix said, he's starting the running animation, but then cancels and attacks.

Also, usually when you wavedash you end up in a ducking animation, but he's still in his standing animation. Sure, there is a split second of animation changes that I could have misinterpreted as not running to cancel to stand and instead it was the wave-dash causing the ducking animation and then to standing. But I doubt it.

I really hope its in. It gives me something to really work hard on to improve my skills.

Firestorm said:
And other people have fun without items or fun with snaking. So stop bitching about how other people play. It doesn't affect you.

Hey, I heard there was some sort of ranking of the characters? What's that about?

Firestorm

The M.O.B said:
ONM has this game listed as WiFi so it must be true.:l

The Wii stand is the power unit :O

ant1532 said:
**** that shit. Play SSB64 or Melee if you want that shit again.

As much as I liked Wind Waker, I still prefer the old Young Link. And SSB64 didn't have him >=o

ant1532

Banned
Firestorm said:
The Wii stand is the power unit :O

As much as I liked Wind Waker, I still prefer the old Young Link. And SSB64 didn't have him >=o
When you said OoT Link I thought you meant either or.

We already had Young link though, so why be selfish? IT'S TIME for Wind Waker Link!

Firestorm

ant1532 said:
When you said OoT Link I thought you meant either or.

We already had Young link though, so why be selfish? IT'S TIME for Wind Waker Link!

Link's TWW model always bothered me. Unless they cel-shade it like they do in the instruction booklets and stuff. The official art way far better than the in-game look IMO. I guess if he went TWW he could at least get the Deku Leaf as a horizontal recovery thing... It would hopefully be a secondary recovery (like Marth's side B) though >_>;;

ant1532

Banned
NoE mag is most likely just going by the news we already have heard and I really don't think it means anything significant at all.

Sharp

There's got to be online play, seriously. I wouldn't worry about it, though I know some of you are kind of banking on there not being online play so the bitching can commence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom