• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

YagizY

Anyone want to buy a new sealed copy for $30 (plus shipping)? I bought the bundle for the headset only, and with TF2 + Left4Dead I won't need any multiplayer games for a while. I dropped a line in the buy/sell/trade thread but there were no takers (yet). Just shoot me a PM if you want it. (shipping from USA)

PM'ed

Speevy

Banned
I must be the only person on the planet who didn't realize this was out on the Playstation Store.

I thought it was hitting tomorrow.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Kingsora said:
Why the hell do you even need a match making system? Just go into a server and look at the description of the room.

Tournaments, clan ladders?? Everyone uses Gamebattles.com or Consolegaming.eu for those things. So I don't really see the problem because the clan support is one of the best ever.

Friend invites, party's? Just use the in-game XMB and send a message to tell in which room you are ^^ Only takes 5 seconds.

Trophies? Well they're coming and I am pretty sure it's not that important ^^

So actually if you think about it. Do you really need those features?
For everyone bitching abou the missing features, I just quote myself

GQman2121

Banned
I'm downloading it now and with my Fios connection I'm at well over 2mbps.

It's late and I have to be up in a few hours, but I'll give a spin before I call it a night........

YagizY said:
How much would you be selling it for?

Probably 35 shipped, Let me take the night to think about it, tmr i'll let you know if thats cool.

Tribal24 said:
ok how do i use that head set in charge mode like they advertize it to do?

Just turn it on while in the dock.

Hopefully I can join you guys tomorrow. I should be getting my ps3 back from repairs.

Edit: whoa after seeing TTP's post on the last page maybe not.

GQman2121

Banned
VALKYRAY said:
play this game requires a lot of patients. seriously, shit. Error: failed to connect to the server. give me a break

If you think that's bad, wait until you actually play the damn thing.

I've only put in about an hour and I don't even know what to say about this game in it's current form.

It's a mess.......

That's all I'll say until I get into the office in a few hours.

imperium

I'm a complete noob to Socom and online in general but my 2 hour or so experience with Socom was... I don't know rough? 1st I thought it froze on the install since it didn't appear to be doing anything and there was no disk access but I left it alone to watch Bill Maher for a while and it finally installed. Then I created a profile only to get it corrupted before I even played a match.

Oh and getting the mic paired was more of a challenge than it should've been. Part of it was due to my own stupidity since it took me far too long to discover that you plug the cable into the well hidden USB port on the mic NOT the cradle. I then followed the procedure in the manual but never did see the power light flash green or red but somehow it did sync up.

I then played about 5 or 6 rounds of demotion I believe. Overall a little more laggy than I would like and the voices would frequently cut out and I was generally lost as I learn the controls but it was fun. My main concern was 2 of the games locked up forcing me to reboot the PS3. I really hope that's not an ongoing issue.

Anyway, I assume the technical issues will eventually be sorted out but I'll stick with it for now. Is the GAF clan admitting noobs such as myself? If so I wouldn't ind an invite if they're being sent out.

Wow i imported this on its way via dhl, im starting to wish i never bothered now. When will sony get there shit toghter with online, resistence 1 managed it maybe the only game to fully do so on the playstation imho. Sony need to lay some basic things down to devs, i mean i cant even invite a friend in wipeout hd ffs something ive some to expect from an online game.

antiloop

supermackem said:
Wow i imported this on its way via dhl, im starting to wish i never bothered now. When will sony get there shit toghter with online, resistence 1 managed it maybe the only game to fully do so on the playstation imho. Sony need to lay some basic things down to devs, i mean i cant even invite a friend in wipeout hd ffs something ive some to expect from an online game.

I think Home (when it's finally out) will make these things much easier. For example you could invite all friends into your room and launch from there.

It's too much like PC online right now for my taste.

GrayFoxPL

I'm a Socom old timer. Not a wonderful player mind you, but man it was first real online experience for me. All those great memories, ahhhh.

Anyway I played the beta only for brief while. When it worked it felt perfect like a mix of all 3 socoms plus countless improvments.

But most of the time it didn't work. I had so many hard freezes, errors, so many times had to reset the PS3 it almost fucking killed the console. I stopped trying.

I want to get this so bad, but I'm afraid it'll go to shit like the beta. I read the problems were fixed and I read this:

Suburban_Nooblet said:
"An operation could not be completed because there was an error communicating with the server. Community Features may not be available. Game rankings and statistics may not be recorded."

this happens at all times for me.

As well as time out errors.

I had the very same problem in the Beta. I'm thinking this is connected to most or all other problems I had. So if it's still there for me in the full game then I'm gonna cry.

Don't know what to do :(. Risk and get it now or wait, or wait, or forget about it?

When I play MGO I write : "Red^!" :(.

Oh, and almost forgot: Is there Blizzard or something like it? I've read somewhere here there's something like it.

I mainly bought this for the headset, I consider the game a bonus. I played the original Socom 1 and 2 on the PS3, but I could never get into it. And it's the same here with Confrontation.

Since it looks like it's going to work out for one guy, I thought I'd give it a try to and see if I can sell my copy in this thread. Heres my offer folks, I"m selling my once(as in it's only gone in my PS3 once) used copy for $25(includes packaging and shipping). If I get no taker by the end of th weekend then I'm going to either let it collect dust or see what Gamestop offers me for it.

PM me if you're interested.

aj2good4you2 said:
did u go into save data and delete the actual save, its not the game data that u have to delete.
Leo the 3rd said:
Yeah you want to get rid of the Profile that was created prior to the latest update that got downloaded. Fortunately after deleting that profile the error goes away and a new profile gets created. Unfortunately you get the Network Initialization failed error. Gotta wait for that one to be fixed by the server guru.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm getting the same errors.

Whatever, at least the headset looks cool =/

spwolf

TTP said:
Pretty bad start indeed.
The 1st page of official Socom forum is kinda telling.
29yrqch.png

reading those forums will change your brain forever...

biocat

I was just about to buy this from PSN but decided to check this thread first.

I think I'll wait until the issues are sorted out. Buying a game and not being able to play it is no fun. I feel for you guys. At least you disc version people have the headset to keep you company.:D

spwolf

Greg said:
This game is fucking amazing - hit detection is ace.

And for the people crying about an online game having technical problems on launch day, the gameplay is there and this will all work out over time.

Warhawk (retail) was complete hell in the first 2 weeks and look at it now.

Warhawk has had its issue for a long, long time after release, didnt make it any less fun though, and now it is probably best example of multiplayer around... Of course, people paid for the game, so they have every right to be pissed off and hopefully they fix Socom fast...

PuMa

biocat said:
I was just about to buy this from PSN but decided to check this thread first.

I think I'll wait until the issues are sorted out. Buying a game and not being able to play it is no fun. I feel for you guys. At least you disc version people have the headset to keep you company.:D

Probably a good idea, but I can tell you that this game definitely kicks ass. I've been able to play quite a few games without any issues so far.

And just to put the launch into perspective so far, Warhawk and Rainbow Six Vegas were ten times worse when they first came out. We know from the beta that Slant Six is dedicated to improving SOCOM, so things will only get better.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
web01 said:
Seriously who didnt see this coming after the BETA.

*runs back to play Metal gear online*
Confrontation can be fixed

Owensboro

Madsucktion said:
Anyone want to buy a new sealed copy for $30 (plus shipping)? I bought the bundle for the headset only, and with TF2 + Left4Dead I won't need any multiplayer games for a while. I dropped a line in the buy/sell/trade thread but there were no takers (yet). Just shoot me a PM if you want it. (shipping from USA)

Update! Only selling the Unopened game as I want to keep the headset. So that's $30 + Shipping for an unopened copy of SOCOM (no headset). Figured I should clear up some confusion. I guess that is what I get for writing the e-mail when hella-tired.

GQman2121

Banned
While I think the hit detection is fine, something is definitely up with the power of the sniper rifles and handguns - they are currently worthless or straight up broken.

The second or two pauses or short freezes from the beta are still very much present right now. It downright kills any kind of flow or pace that you could get together while playing.

I hope they figure something out soon because right now the game is just not fun to play.......

Arsenic

Kingsora said:
For everyone bitching abou the missing features, I just quote myself
Whether they are needed or not, these features were promised by Slant Six. Infact, it's even on the goddamn package. It makes you think it's some sort of marketing ploy just to get more buyers.

spwolf said:
Warhawk has had its issue for a long, long time after release, didnt make it any less fun though, and now it is probably best example of multiplayer around... Of course, people paid for the game, so they have every right to be pissed off and hopefully they fix Socom fast...
And we should think the Warhawk fuckup would be a nice lesson for Sony to get shit right the first time. Alot of players left the game and didn't even give it a chance because of the endless issues =/.

Even so, Warhawk is technically more demanding then socom (planes/tanks/large maps) and only had a closed beta. Socom was in a better position; it's not as if this is the first time this game is going online.

It's fucking sad a launch game has been more fucking stable than these piece of shit second-gen games.

Dont forget this is all under Sony.

GQman2121 said:
While I think the hit detection is fine, something is definitely up with the power of the sniper rifles and handguns - they are currently worthless or straight up broken.

The second or two pauses or short freezes from the beta are still very much present right now. It downright kills any kind of flow or pace that you could get together while playing.

I hope they figure something out soon because right now the game is just not fun to play.......

Say it ain't so. I need some socom

Maybe the servers are getting absolutely hammered and they'll be sorted out soon.

jmonteiro

I got SOCOM last night (along with Dead Space) and decided to give it a try before starting Dead Space. Worst decision ever :(

I spent about 45 minutes installing SOCOM (the new installer sucks, why no progress bar for the first 2/3 minutes?) and downloading/installing the 400Mb+ patch. After that I created and customized my 2 characters (another 20 minutes or so) and finally started my search for a US East coast game.

Almost all US East servers were full, but eventually I found one and joined the channel. I get into a non-ranked game and the round ends when I join. After the rounds ends I get stuck in the results screen and eventually kicked out of the game. Tried to join a few more games and I always get kicked out as soon as the round is about to start.

Unfortunately until SOCOM becomes stable I cannot recommend it to anyone I know, this feels as bad as the beta (minus loading times). Personally I'm done with it until the next patch (I believe it will be out within a couple of weeks).

GodofWine

GQman2121 said:

Thats odd, I remember them saying the sniper rifles were going to be powerful (almost a sure one hit kill) and have penetration through certain material walls / obstacles.

Regarding the servers..I thought at the end of the beta is was running pretty damn good...must be getting hammered...I really do think it'll be fixed in decent time.

Costanza

Banned
Just picked this up. I'm throwing the game on ebay and just keeping the mic after reading this thread.

One thing: there was no instruction manual for the mic in the box.. how do I sync it easily?

Crisis

Banned
The servers are getting hammered ridiculously hard. I played yesterday afternoon before so many people go on and it was running pretty much perfectly. Once it got later in the day and more people got on it started acting up and not connecting to the servers and whatnot. I'm sure they'll get it under control real soon.

Costanza said:
One thing: there was no instruction manual for the mic in the box.. how do I sync it easily?

The manual for it is part of the SOCOM manual; it's also here.

Make sure it's fully charged, then plug the USB cable into the PS3 and the mini-USB end directly into the headset (underneath the plastic cover on top of it, NOT into the charging stand.

Doel

Some of you people are honestly retarded.

Name me ONE online game that launched perfectly without any issues whatsoever.

The game was running perfectly last night post 12am as people were going to bed. The only issue with the game right now is server overload, and they are in the process of accommodating for it.

Costanza

Banned
BigKaboom2 said:
The manual for it is part of the SOCOM manual; it's also here.

Make sure it's fully charged, then plug the USB cable into the PS3 and the mini-USB end directly into the headset (underneath the plastic cover on top of it, NOT into the charging stand.

Doel

Costanza said:
Just picked this up. I'm throwing the game on ebay and just keeping the mic after reading this thread.
Your loss. Guess you chose to ignore all the positive feedback it was getting earlier in the day and later at night.

Maggot9

Banned
Doel said:

The game was running perfectly last night post 12am as people were going to bed. The only issue with the game right now is server overload, and they are in the process of accommodating for it.
COD4?

Doel said:

Theres lots mate, whats worrying me are the people who were in the beta are finidng issues with the game they thought would be sorted.

Doel

Maggot9 said:
HA, ya right. You clearly forgot this.

If you're having some trouble with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare multiplayer online, Infinity Ward has a progress report for you. As it turns out, they've made some updates that should fix the connection problems, but if you're still having difficulty connecting, please read the following (as posted at their official forums):

"If you are still experiencing issues, please provide us with as much important network information as you can, for example: Your ISP, What's your Router, NAT level, etc. As much info as you can provide, so we make sure everyone is taken care of. As always, please let us know if you are still experiencing problems so we can keep the server team on it for you."

Clearly, a ton of people are trying to play online at once, which means the servers are getting hit "really hard." Furthermore, it seems the European launch of this massive title has effectively doubled server traffic, and that requires "optimizing on the server side." The good news? Infinity Ward says they've been coordinating with the PSN CoD4 Server Team to up the speed, and evidently, none of these problems have anything to do with the game code itself. Lastly, they say this "will not be a long-term problem," but we will have to deal with some server downtime (obviously).

Well, online issues always suck, but we like it when developers are up front with the gamers. At least we know what's going on, right?

Every online game has them. People just forget about it.

And I STILL run into issues with not being able to hear my friends or them not hearing me.

Cartman86

Banned
Maggot9 said:

COD4 for sure did. There are some though that went without a hitch (it's rare though it seems) so it's does suck that it's not perfect, but i'm used to things not working perfectly in online games these days. Sure I shouldn't have to expect it but I have, so that's that.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Doel said:

lol lots of stuff

I remember CoD4 alone having beta gameplay pretty much better than anything i'd ever played before....including CoD4 retail.... It was THAT good.

but in all fairness, I don't really do online stuff on the PS3 so the situation on this side of the pool could be fucked up for all i know.

Google

So guys, whats the general consensus?

It's not like we dont have a lot of other good games to be playing right now - is this a 'wait until after the new year' title?

PuMa

Doel said:

Agreed.

Arsenic

Doel said:

lol idk Resistance? COD4?
If there were any issues it wasnt as severe as this. And Socom had a fucking open beta. Retarded? Not us i dont think so.

Doel

Google said:
So guys, whats the general consensus?

It's not like we dont have a lot of other good games to be playing right now - is this a 'wait until after the new year' title?
I haven't read anyone say they are disappointed in how the game plays. Everyone that's bitching has to do with the server overload, which should be cleared up in a few days with Sony working on it and everyone not playing the game at once.

Like I've already said, if you're up late or play early in the morning or during the day, the game works flawlessly.

Top Bottom