• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

dork

Banned
getting fed up with the fucking freezes..seriously

I keep playing games trying to get a little rank, it says my playtime is like 35 minutes, thats because i have only finished like 1 or 2 games out of like 20

ridiculous

Arsenic

Doel said:
I've got a number of kills with grenades, but no they aren't as powerful as SOCOM 1&2, and thank god for that. On the smaller maps like Frostfire, the way every SOCOM 1&2 match played out, you'd have to sit at your spawn for 30sec-1min until everyone has exhausted their grenade tosses. Now its more about the gunplay with grenades as a far secondary use.
Im talking more about the meter/indicator. It takes way too long to reach its maximum and you have to point ur controller very high up (to the point you can no longer see the end of the line) to get a good distance. Also leaves you a sitting duck.

What they should have done is either: lower the damage of the grenades, lower the blast radius, or lower the range thrown. Not all three.

Socom was always gunplay or grenades for me, but now its almost entirely gunplay, which makes throwing grenades through windows with skill, no longer possible.

spwolf

Arsenic said:
Im talking more about the meter/indicator. It takes way too long to reach its maximum and you have to point ur controller very high up (to the point you can no longer see the end of the line) to get a good distance. Also leaves you a sitting duck.

What they should have done is either: lower the damage of the grenades, lower the blast radius, or lower the range thrown. Not all three.

Socom was always gunplay or grenades for me, but now its almost entirely gunplay, which makes throwing grenades through windows with skill, no longer possible.

it was probably designed that way, if we are talking about realism here...

Arsenic

spwolf said:
it was probably designed that way, if we are talking about realism here...
If thats the case then they should make all aspects of a grenade realistic, such as distance thrown and damage & radius. But they've compromised that as well.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
dork said:
getting fed up with the fucking freezes..seriously

I keep playing games trying to get a little rank, it says my playtime is like 35 minutes, thats because i have only finished like 1 or 2 games out of like 20

ridiculous

Ditto, i've stopped playing outright. Too much other good shit to fux with it. When is a patch comming?

Doel

They added a BUNCH of new Dedicated Ranked servers. Each room now has Medley 1/2/3/etc for 4x4, 8x8, and 16x16. They also mix up the maps and modes in them. I was playing Crossroads on Extraction in one of the 8x8 rooms, when normally its Demolition only.

Oh ya, and the game was working flawlessly last night. There is still that freezing issue where your PS3 might freeze after like 3 hours of play. Hopefully they clear that up.

NameIess

^ Good to hear server load has been improved...
I'm still playing other titles waiting on a patch to solve the crashing issue, before I log anytime with this game.

Doel

NameIess said:
^ Good to hear server load has been improved...
I'm still playing other titles waiting on a patch to solve the crashing issue, before I log anytime with this game.
When was the last time you played?

It'll only crash on you after like 3 hours of continuous play. You should really get on and play because it's been working great.

Just got it a few days ago. I've had no trouble getting into games or anything, just one disconnect in about 5 hours playtime. Which is okay, I think.

I love it and I'm sure I'm gonna play this until the end of time :D.

dork

Banned
i think im going to get some play time in tonight (before it freezes) and send my ps3 off to be fixed before resistance comes out :(

ugh stats are assbackwards

said i won 5/10 matches, then we played another and won and then it said i won 5/11 :lol

Doel

dork said:
i think im going to get some play time in tonight (before it freezes) and send my ps3 off to be fixed before resistance comes out :(

ugh stats are assbackwards

said i won 5/10 matches, then we played another and won and then it said i won 5/11 :lol
It's kind of good trophies didn't come packed with the game, because the screwed up stats would make getting them practically impossible and incredibly frustrating.

There is no doubt in my mind they will reset the stats once the trophy patch hits, and then ITS ON!

Vieo

So how does the headset work in this game?

I know you hold L2 to talk, but sometimes I swear I can hear other people talking in the distance (I hear their voice in the game, but not through my headset). I know the other team can hear your chatter if they are in close proximity to you, but right at the start of a game when you first load into the map, I can hear people talking around me, but not through my headset.

Is there a way to talk where only people (team-mates or foes) can hear you if they are in close range? If so how do you do it?

garath

I ended up with this game over the weekend. Was looking to just buy the headset alone but it was $50 stand-alone, so figured $10 was worth it for Socom. The headset is great - going to try the game in the next couple days. This thread makes it sound a little buggy though :(

Malvolio

Vieo said:

I know you hold L2 to talk, but sometimes I swear I can hear other people talking in the distance (I hear their voice in the game, but not through my headset). I know the other team can hear your chatter if they are in close proximity to you, but right at the start of a game when you first load into the map, I can hear people talking around me, but not through my headset.

Is there a way to talk where only people (team-mates or foes) can hear you if they are in close range? If so how do you do it?

Once you are in game, your mic is open to anyone who is withing hearing range of you. So if you are one of those people who has Pantera set to 11 in the background, don't ever plan on surprising anyone. I don't think there is any setting for this. It's just one more attempt to add a touch of realism to the game. I suppose you could mute your mic until you had something to say, but that's a bit of a hassle.

Jim

Vieo said:

The mic is always open for proximity chat and it comes through your speakers as if someone was beside you and you overhear them speaking. L2 is for like actual radio communications, so it comes through your team's headsets. Makes sense.. kinda.

Edit: beaten.

Vieo

lol. Wait. So if, for example, I am someone who constantly talks to himself, there's a change people were able to over-hear me all along?

spwolf

Vieo said:
lol. Wait. So if, for example, I am someone who constantly talks to himself, there's a change people were able to over-hear me all along?

in that case, you might have bigger problem there :D

J-Rzez

Doel said:
They added a BUNCH of new Dedicated Ranked servers. Each room now has Medley 1/2/3/etc for 4x4, 8x8, and 16x16. They also mix up the maps and modes in them. I was playing Crossroads on Extraction in one of the 8x8 rooms, when normally its Demolition only.

They always mixed up game modes in ranked medley. I played extraction many times on it before in ranked medley. It just didn't happen as often as Demo did on there :p

My question is, since I didn't bother trying yet, but did they stabilize 32player maps yet? I'm afraid to try lol.

PseudoZ

Neo Member
spwolf said:
in that case, you might have bigger problem there :D

:lol

I had a smiliar experience right after the game came out. My brother and I were playing, and just talking trash to every player we saw. Making fun of how characters looked, PSN names, the whole nine. Then at one point I said "Wait, this game has proximity chat so everyone can hear us". We go up to another player and lo and behold, he could hear us. Good times.

so_awes

Banned
bought this game for $47.69 from circuit city.

i'm keeping the headset but thinking about selling the game.

should i? i played the beta and it was kinda fun, but buggy and slow. did they fix those problems? any new problems?

Arsenic

Vieo said:
:lol
Ok the funnier thing is, if you are the last guy alive and your teammates are watching you play, they will hear every word out of the mic.

So all those "Where is this guy?? I gotta take a shit" or conversations with your girlfriend over the phone, while you play, will be heard.

Halvie

Banned
Dave Long said:
Just for one last attempt at clarification of the problem I have with the camera... this series has always tried to be more "serious" than others when it comes to the weaponry, the rules of engagement, etc. I think the camera choice is in direct conflict with those design goals. It puts the one shot, one kill gameplay into a limbo between arcade and sim that doesn't seem right.

It's fine if you dig it. Also, with regard to the potential geometry glitches, you reap what you sow. It's been a SOCOM problem for a long time and with all the other problems, I think it's not out of line to note that someone's potentially going to be sniping everyone from the safety of some location outside the map sooner or later.

Then again, sniping is busted too, so maybe not!

Why do you guys think I haven't played the other games in the series? I reviewed SOCOM III for Computer Games Magazine and played a ton of SOCOM II and had a passing fling with the others. I realize people have a hard time accepting when someone doesn't dig what they dig, but that's just how it is sometimes.

Just got the game a couple hours ago and your opinion on the camera is exactly how I felt...game feels like fucking warhawk. $20 shipped for the game if anyone wants it.

Patch Cometh...

We are happy to announce that the SOCOM: Confrontation 1.20 Update will be released on Wednesday, October 29th, at 1200 GMT/UTC (8am EDT, 5am PDT, 1pm BST, 9pm JST).

The SOCOM: Confrontation 1.20 update addresses the following issues:

* Fixed many issues which would cause the game to crash, hang, disconnect and exit to the PS3 XMB.
* Fixed an issue which would cause large numbers of players in a high player count game to be simultaneously disconnected.
* Fixed an issue which would cause players to be invincible.
* Fixed a physics issue which would cause players to occasionally "warp" around on the map.
* Fixed an issue where a "corrupt save data" message would be incorrectly displayed after updating the game.
* Fixed some player model issues related to team swapping.
* Client/server optimization.
* Fixed an issue where the scope camera had an incorrect offset from the barrel of the gun while prone or leaning/peeking.

For players who have already downloaded and installed the 1.10 update, the 1.20 update is only ~50MB in size. For new players, the size is the 1.10 update plus the 1.20 update which is ~550MB.

The main purpose of this update is to address major stability and playability issues with the game. The stability of the game has been greatly improved with the 1.20 update. There are still a few low frequency issues which we are continuing to look into and will be addressed in a future update.

We are reading player feedback in the forums and will be making future changes to the game based on that feedback. Please keep the feedback coming.

Regards,

SOCOM: Confrontation Online Team

http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/10/SOCOM-Confrontation-120-Update-Incoming.aspx

Still no word on the stuff they, ya know, put on the box. But its a start.

Halvie said:
...game feels like fucking warhawk.

¿Que que?

dralla

Fixed an issue where the scope camera had an incorrect offset from the barrel of the gun while prone or leaning/peeking.

oh my god yes

Arsenic

dork said:
what was on the box?

figures...i sent my ps3 in today..mother of god...damn it

i was doing awesome today too :(
Trophies, Home, Matchingmaking, Party invite system, Clan ranked battle (?). Basically only one or two features out of many were in the game at release.

Halvie

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
¿Que que?

For a game that is supposed to be serious it seems stuck in between counter strike and the ground combat on warhawk imo....obviously coming from someone who has never play another SOCOM game before....just my opinion.

Arsenic

Halvie said:
For a game that is supposed to be serious it seems stuck in between counter strike and the ground combat on warhawk imo....obviously coming from someone who has never play another SOCOM game before....just my opinion.
Just to give you a bit of perspective: ALL of my socom buddies HATED Warhawk, mainly because of its ground combat. I was the only one to give it a chance, and i still ove it, but only for flight combat and others.

So to say Socom reminded you of Warhawk's ground combat, is very strange.

Halvie

Banned
Arsenic said:
Just to give you a bit of perspective: ALL of my socom buddies HATED Warhawk, mainly because of its ground combat. I was the only one to give it a chance, and i still ove it, but only for flight combat and others.

So to say Socom reminded you of Warhawk's ground combat, is very strange.

If anything it is probably the camera and the way close up fights seem to work. I didn't like Warhawk very much so I didn't put much time into it....just the first thing that popped in my mind.

S1lentTwo

Banned
Got the game last night, partly for the headset and partly because I wanted to try it out. So far I'm liking the game, but now I'm facing the tough decision of whether I should stick with this or go back to MGO whilst selling it to help pay for the many other games I want to get coming out...

The patch that is coming up is gonna help me decide to keep it or trade it in towards my Resistance2 CE

I like the core gameplay...alot actually. Just don't like the wonky/hit or miss interace around all of it

Ravenn17

AgentOtaku said:
The patch that is coming up is gonna help me decide to keep it or trade it in towards my Resistance2 CE

I like the core gameplay...alot actually. Just don't like the wonky/hit or miss interace around all of it

I've been playing religiously since s1 , and I totally agree with you. I mean, why the hell can't I see what room my friends are in?

Billen

Banned
While this game is in a dire need of a decent lobby system, given that the current version is utter shit and finding friends is a matter of using a mobile phone, this patch is welcome.

The gameplay is really nice in this title. For me who have never played the socom series it feels somewhat like a lovechild between GRAW and COD4.

Arsenic

Billen said:
While this game is in a dire need of a decent lobby system, given that the current version is utter shit and finding friends is a matter of using a mobile phone, this patch is welcome.

The gameplay is really nice in this title. For me who have never played the socom series it feels somewhat like a lovechild between GRAW and COD4.
thats actually the sad thing. Socom used to be in its league of its own, now it seems to be doing too much copying...and failing at that too.

anyways, whats this i hear about the patch not fiing things as promised? specifically, the scope issue.

Nos_G

My Post patch impressions:

+Can connect to servers now (hah)
+Scopes seem to be fixed when proned or leaning (I'm a sniper so it was a big issue)
+Loading times in between matches/team switches are faster.
+More ranked medley rooms

-Slight stutter is still present, albeit not as frequent, while sniping in large(16v16) rooms
-16v16 still has a chance of freezing up the PS3 (still froze on me a few times)
-Community feature are still lacking (tracking friends/clan members, party PLZ!!)
-Loading screen should display map info and spawn areas for the team you are on. (that little spinning indicator on blurry art is OLD already)
-Lobbies need a text chat (I want to type in G^ or GG sometimes :p)

Nos_G said:

+Scopes seem to be fixed when proned or leaning (I'm a sniper so it was a big issue)

-Slight stutter is still present, albeit not as frequent, while sniping in large(16v16) rooms
-16v16 still has a chance of freezing up the PS3 (still froze on me a few times)
-Community feature are still lacking (tracking friends/clan members, party PLZ!!)
-Loading screen should display map info and spawn areas for the team you are on. (that little spinning indicator on blurry art is OLD already)

Thanks for the impressions

Fuck yeah it is! ...I mean, what a waisted opportunity...Especially for newbs to the series like me.

spwolf

Arsenic said:
thats actually the sad thing. Socom used to be in its league of its own, now it seems to be doing too much copying...and failing at that too.

anyways, whats this i hear about the patch not fiing things as promised? specifically, the scope issue.

did you actually play the game? lol.

spwolf

Nos_G said:

thanks for the info, seems like things got fixed... just in time, i am battling serious BAL addiction right now and just got my 2nd Socom Confrotation, this time bundle with new headset so this is perfect time to play it with guys in the office.

p.s. they said planned features will be published only once first fix patch is out

GQman2121

Banned
I jumped on last night and played for about two hours with out getting booted; still had the pauses every minute or so, and I still can not consistently get people to die in one shot when I snipe them in the chest. I was assisting my ass off though for everyone else on the team.

The game is still only average right now. With Far Cry, LBP, Resistance next week, and Mirrors Edge the week after; I can't see my self spending much more time with this half bake game until maybe patches 6 or 7 are released. Or until they release a meaningful map pack.

GQman2121 said:
I jumped on last night and played for about two hours with out getting booted; still had the pauses every minute or so, and I still can not consistently get people to die in one shot when I snipe them in the chest. I was assisting my ass off though for everyone else on the team.

The game is still only average right now. With Far Cry, LBP, Resistance next week, and Mirrors Edge the week after; I can't see my self spending much more time with this half bake game until maybe patches 6 or 7 are released. Or until they release a meaningful map pack.

And that's just it really ....I mean, I could totally see myself rebuying via PSN if they truly commit to it and get it together

I'll certainly keep an eye on it and see if it ever gets there...and hell I already bought it once so at least the devs/Sony got +1 sell

spwolf

GQman2121 said:

gameplay rocks and it always rocked, they just fixed problem with the servers and few issues people had (like snipers)... As to the snipers, should it really be one shot kill in the chest? You have to consider they wear body armor (i have heavy), and velocity of the bullet depends on the distance from the target...

Personally, after playing Socom I cant even imagine playing R2 multiplayer, and COD4 is funny now. Of course, IMHO. Gameplay was always there, and slant six managed to patch the game within 2 weeks of release, which is pretty fast too. So congrats to the team.

GQman2121

Banned
The game will no doubt have very long legs. There's a ton they can do with DLC and a ton of money still laying on the table for them to cash in on. It's just going to take a while, which is a good thing because there are so many other quality titles out right now and coming out in the next few weeks/months to play in the meantime.

In the spring when all of the new releases die down a bit, I'm sure Socom will turn the corner and become the game that we thought we were going to be playing two weeks ago.

Top Bottom