• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

Arsenic

teepo said:
i just thoroughly read some of the whining and you guys are a bunch of bitches. this is socom2 in hd. period.

god damn, hop off the band wagon.
:lol i dont know if ur joking dude, but this is, in no way, Socom 2 in HD.
of course the game format and etc is there, but its missing the magic and creativity of the past socom games (mainly 1 & 2).

simply enough, jsut slant six's decision to remove a tiebreaker round (this should be on that list GQman made earlier) but a wake up call for me to realize, these guys have no fucking idea what they are doing. and bullshitted their whole way to this point. its now people are seeing whats going on, and, its too late.

but you? socom 2 HD? :lol

Fizzle

Billen

Banned
I honestly doubt that the persons responsible for the server browser are gamers. I fail to see how people with online gaming experience would choose such a complicated way for making your way online.

I haven't played this since launch. I've been waiting for everything to get fixed up, and it seems most of it has been. Time to try it out again tomorrow! I'm almost afraid to get hooked to SOCOM again.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Some of those myspace page complaints are.... kind of silly. If you play the game you start to understand the quirks, like moving over just a nudge more to get that grenade out from cover. Also, when shooting near ledges or corners of wall thers a yellow indicator to let you know that you are going t ohit the wall. The cant reload while falling over debris...... makes sense? i dont know what the problem is there. Dont got tumbling around some fucking rocks when u want to reload.

I dont know, maybe its just me but those are all things that i have had happen to me, i adjusted in like... half an hour, and no longer have any problems with it. Confrontation is EASILY the best SOCOM since 2, but i do admit that i miss being able to climb up and around everywhere.

Beardz

I have been playing socom since 1; I know confrontation has problems, most of them fixeable; the major issue was time, you can clearly see this game is unfinished.

I'm having a blast playing this, and I know it will be better when they add the missing features. I love team based games, this and Shadow run are my favorite shooters this gen.

Btw, if you like to play as a team add me, I play almost everyday at night.

PSN: Beardzzz

Concept17

_tetsuo_ said:
Some of those myspace page complaints are.... kind of silly. If you play the game you start to understand the quirks, like moving over just a nudge more to get that grenade out from cover. Also, when shooting near ledges or corners of wall thers a yellow indicator to let you know that you are going t ohit the wall. The cant reload while falling over debris...... makes sense? i dont know what the problem is there. Dont got tumbling around some fucking rocks when u want to reload.

I dont know, maybe its just me but those are all things that i have had happen to me, i adjusted in like... half an hour, and no longer have any problems with it. Confrontation is EASILY the best SOCOM since 2, but i do admit that i miss being able to climb up and around everywhere.

I haven't yet played it (plan on picking it up tomorrow) but those videos were hardly big issues. Annoyances sure, but you see similar issues in most games. Those videos actually convinced me to buy the game.

-Mikey-

I have to say 3rd person shooters are horrible. Even the idea of them. But after playing for 9 straight hours I think even though there are tons of flaws, they are doing something right.

icechai

-Mikey- said:
I have to say 3rd person shooters are horrible. Even the idea of them. But after playing for 9 straight hours I think even though there are tons of flaws, they are doing something right.

i think the right thing is the Socom idea itself and the maps that support it. It is definitely its own type of game and nothing else on the PS3 is like it. However for many here it seems the flaws are not worth the time to invest in playing this game.

shpankey

not an idiot
I'm completely new to this series so I doubt my opinion counts for much, but I'm really loving it. Long time PC FPS gamer and I can tell you, all games have their problems. Nothing is ever perfect. But I go off fun. Most of the issues people have are universal, meaning that everyone playing the game has the same limitation... so that doesn't bother me. I did notice a glitch in 1.3 though, I forget the map name but it's the big one with two bridges either side of an island. You can jump the fence to the left by getting on top of some railing, then go back then up the mountain then around to the other side for a sniper heaven.

About the camera people are complaining about, you guys do know you can go into the options and switch the camera to something called "Classic camera" right? I'm assuming this is the old camera you're used to. But it zooms you up and out farther than the default camera. This seems to prevent the issue people are having about your head being in the way of your view.

1.3 (I got the game just a few weeks ago, so started on 1.2) seems to have some "hiccups" in terms of either framerate or lag, not sure which, but it's not too bad and it seems when it happens to me, everyone is complaining so it's not giving anyone an unfair advantage.

I never got the GAF invite for a clan so I had to join some other one. Which is frustrating b/c I am not a clan player, I am married w/ children with a stressful job and do not have the time to be there when they need me and sometimes I may only have 15 minutes to play. The reason I was forced to join one however is b/c for some reason, you cannot have a ranking without joining one. That's my one major complaint.

Negative:
Graphics are fairly below average.
Inteface is bad.
A few minor glitches, but not devastating.
No ranking unless in a clan.

Positive:
Sound is fantastic in 5.1 surround!
Gameplay is wonderful and very addicting and fun!

Conclusion:
This game is taking up 95% of my gaming time right now. Buy buy buy. Fun is good. The game is addicting enough to overcome all of it's negatives. It even comes w/ a mic which costs almost the same by itself.

Q-bert

Banned
teepo said:
i just thoroughly read some of the whining and you guys are a bunch of bitches. this is socom2 in hd. period.

god damn, hop off the band wagon.

If you think this is whining from bitches, you should visit the socom.com (playstation.com) forums sometime.

Comments in this thread are well-reasoned dialog between pillars of society in comparison.

Q-bert

Banned
shpankey said:
1.3 (I got the game just a few weeks ago, so started on 1.2) seems to have some "hiccups" in terms of either framerate or lag, not sure which, but it's not too bad and it seems when it happens to me, everyone is complaining so it's not giving anyone an unfair advantage.

There's an update on socom.com from Friday where Sony/Slant Six acknowledge they are aware of the lag/framerate issues with 1.3, so that's nice (hopefully server side updates during this week will iron them out).

shpankey said:
I never got the GAF invite for a clan so I had to join some other one. Which is frustrating b/c I am not a clan player, I am married w/ children with a stressful job and do not have the time to be there when they need me and sometimes I may only have 15 minutes to play. The reason I was forced to join one however is b/c for some reason, you cannot have a ranking without joining one. That's my one major complaint.

You can create your own clan, you didn't have to join one.

Beardz

Q-bert said:
If you think this is whining from bitches, you should visit the socom.com (playstation.com) forums sometime.

Comments in this thread are well-reasoned dialog between pillars of society in comparison.

The "discussion" there is terrible, everybody whines for everything!

Example, everybody cries because there is no dive, slant6 add dive, and now they cry because is slow, as for me, I never use dive, and don't see anybody usin it neither.

Lean with the Dpad, everybody cries because they can't lean with the dpad, slant6 add it, and now they cry because it's mandatory... as for me, -since socom 1- lean its pretty much useless, back in the day, lean was used to "dance".

RPG's, everybody want them out of ranked games, slant6 do that, and now they whine because they can't use rpg's in ranked games!

etc, etc, etc.

NameIess

Fizzle said:
Wait, how is that a rumour when he said it himself? He said they're working on creating an engine for the PS3.

Well considering the info was over an year old and no announcements or any info regarding the engine on the PS3 has made me a bit skeptical of the project as a whole...

shpankey

not an idiot
Beardz said:
The "discussion" there is terrible, everybody whines for everything!

Example, everybody cries because there is no dive, slant6 add dive, and now they cry because is slow, as for me, I never use dive, and don't see anybody usin it neither.

Lean with the Dpad, everybody cries because they can't lean with the dpad, slant6 add it, and now they cry because it's mandatory... as for me, -since socom 1- lean its pretty much useless, back in the day, lean was used to "dance".

RPG's, everybody want them out of ranked games, slant6 do that, and now they whine because they can't use rpg's in ranked games!

etc, etc, etc.
ie: you're never going to please everybody. some people will love things some people will hate them. MOST people will just enjoy it and not lean to one extreme or the other.

Never see anyone diving either (glad, to me that ruins Battlefield 2).

The lean works really good for me. I've used it a lot of times to help myself. I think they've done a good job with it, to me it's unrealistic to be able to just poke half a face out and shoot without exposing anything. They've made it where you have to expose some of yourself but still get some protection. The crosshair shows you when you can shoot or not, so like someone else said, if it shows you can't, you have to scoot out a bit more (exposing a little more of yourself). I think the people that are bitching about this just want to be like almost fully protected, which just isn't right if you ask me.

If they iron out the "hiccups" in the framerate/lag (seems to be tied together) it'd be perfect. And honestly, they aren't even THAT bad right now... in fact I'd say rare. The interface is clumsy and a bit slow but once you figure it out you can do what you need.

It does take awhile to load a game up though, but since you usually play it multiple times and there's no reloading inbetween it's almost a non-issue for me. If it loaded on every single match then ya, it would suck. Most servers play a map 4-10 times so no biggie.

The whole thing about your head blocking your view is moot, since they have the "Classic Camera" in the options (just change from the default) and it's plenty zoomed up and out. I think it's a very good camera actually.

For the life of me, I am really surprised this game isn't getting more love. It's just so damn fun and addicting. But as I said, this is my first SOCOM so I think it's just people being used to things the way they were and not accepting it as it's own entitiy. ie: they wanted a HD version of their old game. I even hear people online wishing they had all the old maps and nothing else.

But I love Resistance 2 and Gears of War 2 also and those seem to be suffering the same feedback from their longtime players. To me, it's just a new and different game and I take it for that.

If anyone out there is avoiding this game just b/c of some negative feedback on the internet, I'd highly recommend finding a way to try it out for yourself (buddies house or whatever). Hell, my friend bought this game just because the headset came w/ it and costs near the same amount by itself (10 more) so in essence if you need a headset anyways your only paying $10 for it.

Nos_G

I started playing again, now that the vaunted 1.3 patch that has been finally released. UI is still cumbersome and that loading screen is still zomg boring. I still had some hitches while playing 16v16, like the game would pause for a split second and resume right after, it got me killed everytime. 8v8 is still flawless and fun as hell, only because it has Frostfire and Desert Glory in the map rotation.

Quickmatch didn't work for me when I tried it, but I only tried once.

Not sure if the community features are working now, ie the xmb/in-game friend browser saying I was playing a round in Socom or not, no-one else on my list was playing at the time.

The reason why I was taking friend invites before was because I wasn't too sure on keeping the clan as Seals, some members already left because they needed the IW-80.

Anyway, I know some of you pm'd me to join the clan, I would appreciate it even more if you message me again in-game. The clan is just a collection of GAFfers that want to play and have fun. If that's not hardcore enough for some of you, then there are other clans out there that will meet that criteria. My PSN is the same as my GAF. Nos_G

shpankey

not an idiot
Just wanted to add some stuff to this since I'm new also...

icechai said:
spent many hours last night playing Socom for the first time. Yup, i'm a Socom noob. And coming from a completely new perspective to the franchise, I'm sorry to say that Confrontation really has not made a believer out of me (I'm a regular Warhawk player and was very into KZ2 during beta). Also I'm used to no respawn games from many years of CS.
Dunno if you mean something else, probably do, but you can play with or without respawns. I play infinite respawns with a time limit and kill limit. Very fun. But you can play either way.

Cons:
Gfx - Doesn't hold up to any of the other first party Sony games, also a bit more clipping than usual I'll give you that. They are certainly nothing spectacular. But not really bad either. Definitely not a showcase title. Oddly enough, my major complaint w/ the graphics is not the ingame graphics, but when you're editing your player in the menu, wow those textures are SHIT. But in-game the characters look fine.

Camera - have to constantly switch shoulders, a bit cumbersome and makes me feel limited This can be addressed by switching to the "Classic Camera". You can see much better and there's no switching shoulders since it's centered.

Guns - bad recoil, random bullet spread, can unload your whole gun a few feet away from someone and still not kill them, even though its only like 2 or 3 hits to kill someone. This is something I had an issue w/ at first too, until I discovered sub-machine guns with a silencer added (mainly for more accuracy). I use the P90 (or is it F90, can't tell) w/ a silencer. There is no recoil, a VERY high rate of fire (this makes up for the lack of power) and I can tell you, it is SUBLIME. I usually keep the crosshair's head high and sweep across the enemy back and forth and get headshots. In fact, I've been complimented a lot on how many headshots I get. Try it... it's great.

Community - Overall pretty unfriendly, lots of "gtfo, join the other team" type of thing, even when you do decently. Newer players without any ranks are nice, go figure :p I agree the oldtimers are this way, they seem to be really serious and very rude. But if you look for the "newbz" or "new player" servers, usually a few on each, you won't have this problem at all. But yeah, the first time I played I didn't know anything and I used a rocket launcher to just see what it was like and the whole server flipped out on me. Which was weird since when creating a server you have the ability to disallow any weapon you want.

Engine - long loading times for levels, in between rounds, in between menu interfaces, etc. Changing layouts in between rounds is slow as well. In between rounds? Maybe I don't understand what you mean here, but when I play it's instant; and I meant INSTANT. Once the round ends it goes black and fades back in in like 1 second.

Beardz

Nos_G said:
Anyway, I know some of you pm'd me to join the clan, I would appreciate it even more if you message me again in-game. The clan is just a collection of GAFfers that want to play and have fun. If that's not hardcore enough for some of you, then there are other clans out there that will meet that criteria. My PSN is the same as my GAF. Nos_G

I'm going to add you to my friend list, I play almost every night; I like to play as a team, but not hardcore, I mean, I can play some clan matchets, but I can't stand when somebody takes the game so seriously like: "you need to be here at 9:00, we are going to have 2 hours of practice!" wtf I just want to play for fun.

Q-bert

Banned
Nos_G said:
Quickmatch didn't work for me when I tried it, but I only tried once.

Yes, it works. Whether or not it actually does something useful (for your definition of useful) is another question. For me, it is so limited in functionality, it is not useful.

Nos_G said:
Not sure if the community features are working now, ie the xmb/in-game friend browser saying I was playing a round in Socom or not, no-one else on my list was playing at the time.

The community/clan/calendar features that have been promised were not in this patch.

The XMB comment works, but is not sufficient by itself. Due to the string length limitation that was previously described by Seth Luisi, your comment will show like "US East 8: 8x8 Med" (of which there are 3 rooms). So..... now everyboy on my friends list fills their user comment string with random numbers "1" "2" "3" to complete the message.

By the way, regarding the comments above in this thread about socom.com forums totally sucking, I believe this XMB comment is another case where the "community" on those "forums" did themself a great disservice. "The Problem" is that in-game, you cannot determine at all where your friends are playing. So since the beta, people have gone "out of game" to the XMB and updated the comment field that appears above their name in the friends list to indicate what game they are in. After enough people started doing that, the constant bitching on the forums started with people asking Slant Six to update this comment automatically when you join the game. Slant Six did this, but with the above limitation which they can't work around because of PS3 firmware features, so by itself, it is not particularly useful. Nobody took a step back and said "this XMB comment is obsolete, if we just implemented the ingame friends list feature correctly", which I'm sure they could have done easier and with better functionality.

icechai

shpankey said:
Just wanted to add some stuff to this since I'm new also...

Dunno if you mean something else, probably do, but you can play with or without respawns. I play infinite respawns with a time limit and kill limit. Very fun. But you can play either way.
Ranked servers dont have infinite respawns, and Socom apparently is meant to be played without respawns (according to most of the community it seems)

Cons:
Gfx - But in-game the characters look fine.
level graphics are very substandard too, textures, polygons, lighting, its very noticeable, then again with recent Sony 1st party games its pretty hard for newer developers to achieve the level of finesse that GG, ND, or any of the other major groups.

Camera - This can be addressed by switching to the "Classic Camera". You can see much better and there's no switching shoulders since it's centered.
zooming in brings you into over the shoulder first, minor quip

Guns - This is something I had an issue w/ at first too, until I discovered sub-machine guns with a silencer added (mainly for more accuracy). I use the P90 (or is it F90, can't tell) w/ a silencer. There is no recoil, a VERY high rate of fire (this makes up for the lack of power) and I can tell you, it is SUBLIME. I usually keep the crosshair's head high and sweep across the enemy back and forth and get headshots. In fact, I've been complimented a lot on how many headshots I get. Try it... it's great.
The point is I prefer proper recoil, and these guns do not have proper recoil. I looked it up on the forums and some people have been documenting how random the spread for bullets are, which makes the argument about guns legit. There's no reason you should be missing point blank with decent aim

Engine -In between rounds? Maybe I don't understand what you mean here, but when I play it's instant; and I meant INSTANT. Once the round ends it goes black and fades back in in like 1 second.
Fades back to the scoreboard for a while, definitely not 1 second. Although what's more annoying is really the loading in the character loadout screens during rounds, and when the game ends and restarts (7-8 rounds on the ranked servers I played).

with all of those complaints, there's still something that draws one back to this game. Which is more frustrating, just imagine if they made this properly

Q-bert

Banned
Ranked servers dont have infinite respawns, and Socom apparently is meant to be played without respawns (according to most of the community it seems)

Yes, in SOCOM, death matters and you should try to avoid it.

Engine -In between rounds? Maybe I don't understand what you mean here, but when I play it's instant; and I meant INSTANT. Once the round ends it goes black and fades back in in like 1 second.
Fades back to the scoreboard for a while, definitely not 1 second. Although what's more annoying is really the loading in the character loadout screens during rounds, and when the game ends and restarts (7-8 rounds on the ranked servers I played).

On ranked servers, each "game" is best-of-8 rounds. (you could play as few as 5 rounds, or as many as 8).

Between each round, while the scoreboard is displayed, that is the time for talking with your team on what the plan is next round. I believe the delay is 30 seconds exactly, and is put there on purpose.

Between games while the map loads (around 90-120 seconds), this is the time to go pee since it's possible the next game may take 20-30 minutes to complete.

Click

Banned
I think this thread has too many haters and flamers, many of whom have not even played (much of) SOCOM Confrontation and are over-blowing their complaints about the game.... similar to the unfair treatment Resistance 2 has received. I won't name names, but you trolls know who you are, most recently on pages 27-29.

There are definitely a good amount of legitimate flaws and I will name my personal complaints about this game:

- Random bullet spray is still in-game.
- Still laggy at times, but getting better.
- Party System/Quickmatch is useless at the moment, but no SOCOM game has had a party/matchmaking system, so I applaud Slant 6 for making a first attempt. Now they just need to make it work well.
- Trophies are ridiculously hard to obtain. I understand /6 wants the game to be for the "hardcore," and for the trophies to really mean something, but they've gone overboard with the requirements for trophies.
- Grenades can sometimes land directly on someone and not kill them, but other times, you're pretty far away and they somehow kill you.
- I wish they didn't exclude proximity mines and HE grenades from the game. Mines added A LOT of tactic in the first few SOCOM games, even though they were cheap because it was hard to spot them. That wouldn't be a problem in Confrontation with a HDTV, if done right.
- Suppression (only) rooms should be available for Ranked games and not only available in Medley rooms. Suppression (the team that has more players at the end of round, wins) is the closest thing to Team Deathmatch but was excluded in favor for Elimination mode, which encourages over-camping.
- Can't reload if falling down ANYTHING. Yes, this is a very legit and annoying flaw that's been brought up many, many times and should be fixed by now. Don't tell me it's unrealistic to be able to reload your gun when you're running down hills or jumping down steps.
- Bushes, shrubs, and trees look like crap.
- Hiding in the water is too "overpowered." It's nearly impossible to see anyone that submerges their head and hides correctly in water. There should be faint shadows or something so that people can't hide/camp in water as effectively as they can now.
- Over-camping (which results in cheap kills/deaths) is still a problem, but that's the case in all SOCOM games.
- You lose way too much health for fall damage, with the damage you take not being consistent to the height you fall from.
- Can't use "classic view" and can't run with nightvision on.
- Too big of a system (HDD) hog, even with the disc version of the game.
- NOT ENOUGH MAPS

There are other annoyances like not being able to save quick select weapons (you have to switch every game/round because it defaults to your handgun) and not being able to have your custom controller setting be default (you need to switch to your control setting the first game, every time you reboot the game). The blacked-out screen in the beginning of every round is also pointless and a very annoying aspect of the game.

I don't know why Slant 6 took out AT-4, RPG, and grenade launchers out of ranked games. I understand it can be cheap to use these weapons, but they've always been part of the SOCOM games. People who complain and whine should just use these themselves if they think it's so cheap and overpowered. Without these ranged explosives, it's even harder to flush out campers.

"Terrorists" need more "lovin'." Meaning, they need to be able to have more customization like "Commandos," such as more costumes, more weapon choices, and the ability to attach "Suppressor 2" to all of their guns. It's not unbalanced, but it's also not fair that "commandos" get more character customization and weapon options compared to "terrorists."

Yes, there are lots of things wrong about SOCOM Confrontation, but there's also a lot the game does right:

- Best attempt yet at emulating SOCOM II's legendary game mechanics, controls, and gameplay. Confrontation is not as "arcadey" and unrealistic as S2 was (can't wall-jump, can't run as fast, can't circle strafe, can't side strafe nearly as fast, etc.), but it's pretty damn close.
Also, people forget just how buggy and laggy the PS2 SOCOM was. Confrontation is not even close to the crap every legit gamers had to endure in S2. Glitchers and laggers plagued the PS2 SOCOM games. Confrontation is relatively bug/glitch-free now, with patch 1.3.
- IMO, very good graphics. Not great, but good enough and I like it a lot.
- Great sound effects and music.
- Amazing amount of character/weapon customization.
- Great hit detection, even with some lag, random bullet spray, and "lucky" headshots.
- Like S1 and S2, Confrontation takes a lot of true skill, wit, fast reaction time, and a bit of luck to be really good at this game. Still till this day, not many other modern-day shooting game requires as much out of the player to excel than SOCOM does.
- Great map layout. Even the new maps are really well-designed, while the classic maps were nicely redone.
- Clear voice-chat and unlike most other PS3 titles, the majority of players actually have and use mics, just like in all SOCOM games.
- Always people online to play with/against.

Is SOCOM Confrontation near-perfect? Heck no, not even close. Was it rushed? Most definitely. However, even with all the flaws and annoyances, this game is VERY fun and addictive. Slant 6 is also doing a good job patching (finishing) the game. In the end, that's the most important aspect to any game. To be considered a good game, they must answer "yes" to the simple question: "Is it fun and/or addictive?" To me, both SOCOM Confrontation and Resistance 2 answers "yes" to that question, regardless of the unfair and extreme bashing/criticism/hatred both games have received.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Welcome back Click !
Socom only worked once for me, and it was really fun.I like it a lot but it usually doesnt work for me ;_;
So im still playing R2 :D

Q-bert

Banned
Fersis said:
Socom only worked once for me, and it was really fun.I like it a lot but it usually doesnt work for me ;_;

I'm not sure what you mean by "only worked once", but if you are (for example) getting disconnected from every game you attempt to join, there's probably something wrong on your end. I dont think repeated disconnects have been a problem for the general population since the beta.

You might want to revisit your router setup and/or contact Sony.

Click

Banned
Fersis said:
Welcome back Click !
So im still playing R2 :D

Heh, thanks.

I'm also not sure what you mean about SOCOM only working once for you. It has always "worked" for me. Remember, they have (almost) daily server maintenance at 5-7 AM EST.

I don't play R2 anymore because I've already played the hell out of that game and I don't like to play 2 shooters at the same time. It ruins my aiming and button memorization.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Q-bert said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "only worked once", but if you are (for example) getting disconnected from every game you attempt to join, there's probably something wrong on your end. I dont think repeated disconnects have been a problem for the general population since the beta.

You might want to revisit your router setup and/or contact Sony.

Click said:
Heh, thanks.

I'm also not sure what you mean about SOCOM only working once for you.

In example, i select a match to play it loads and then i get a network error.
I havent tried on a couple of days, maybe tonight i will try again.
When it worked,it worked fine without lag , i love the fact that you are not a bullet sponge :D

shpankey

not an idiot
Fersis said:
In example, i select a match to play it loads and then i get a network error.
I played a long time last night and then all a sudden this started happening to me. I was on a server that was full (32) and we played for a long long time then all a sudden everyone was kicked except 4 of us. I finished that round then jumped off the server, tried to get on another one only to have that network error pop-up. It never let me on the rest of the time (tried for about an hour on and off). Up to this point, this has never happened before other than on very rare occasions that only happened once.

It was also giving me some other error a lot last night, can't remember what it was exactly but it was something about not updating the server or something.

Still love this game... but I'm forced to play mostly unranked so I can play suppression with respawns (with the limited time I have for gaming I can't afford to waste it waiting around for rounds to finish).

sajj316

Have a buddy @ work talking me into buying this game. Looks like I'm buying it today after reading Click's post (thanks man). This is my first Socom game :)

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Djeeezzz, go play SOCOM: Confrontation now and then go play SOCOM 2. After 5 minutes of SOCOM 2 you'll see how good Confrontation is now.

SOCOM 2 has way more lag, way more bugs and way more glitches, in SOCOM 2 you even had cheaters who couldn't die and were able to use a sniper or RPG like a machine gun. Now those were irritating things.

And I just hate it to see how everyone is still bitching on Slant Six for every minor issue, while the old SOCOM games had way more issues and everyone is acting now like Zipper were Gods...

SOCOM is probably the best shooter on the market right now, it's a lot better than COD, R2, FC2, Rainbow Six, Gears 2, etc. And if you think I an wrong, you probably didn't even played Confrontation or you are frustrated because you can't make kills.

Anyhow SOCOM: Confrontation lovers can add me if they want: KingsoraBe

TaKeRx

I finally was able to play today and I'm very satisfied. The gameplay is great and i actually already met some cool people online to play, also no lag(or barely). It shouldn't get all the hate you guys are giving it :(.

EDIT

Kingsora said:
SOCOM is probably the best shooter on the market right now, it's a lot better than COD, R2, FC2, Rainbow Six, Gears 2, etc. And if you think I an wrong, you probably didn't even played Confrontation or you are frustrated because you can't make kills.

Anyhow SOCOM: Confrontation lovers can add me if they want: KingsoraBe

OK man i would go that far. The game is good and all but not better than some of those games mentioned. But I guess we all have opinions.

Q-bert

Banned
Kingsora said:

I was with you right up until here.

While I enjoy the SOCOM game types and style of play much more than other shooters, I think it's being disingenuous to ignore the total package when trying to say which one is "best" (ignoring the fact that it's apples and oranges that you're comparing).

Confrontation is pretty good, but it's still got a few too many warts to be voted prom queen.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
I am not saying those other games are bad off course, I really like COD, Resistance, etc. but none of those games are so addicting to me like SOCOM. Also a lot of people are forgetting how easy it is to play with people speaking your own language or just with your friends (I am Dutch) while in a lot of other shooters you jump right into a game with people from all around the world. Also SOCOM has a great community compared to those other games, almost everyone has a headset and use it!

Al those things combined are giving me an unforgettable game.

Also let us not forget the coolest feature ever: proximity chat of enemies. Nothing as fun to knife someone while yelling goodbye :D

M3Freak

Banned
Click said:
I don't play R2 anymore because I've already played the hell out of that game and I don't like to play 2 shooters at the same time. It ruins my aiming and button memorization.

I don't see anyone playing R2 on my PSN list (well, here and there, but nothing like R1).

I like Socom. I just suck at it, and getting people together to play it is tough.

McLovin

The game has its problems, but if your willing to look past its flaws its an awesome game. I do have to say though the one thing it does better then allot of other games is the sound. I don't even have surround sound but its seriously making me want to get it. Their pretty cheap nowadays right?

shpankey

not an idiot
McLovin said:
The game has its problems, but if your willing to look past its flaws its an awesome game. I do have to say though the one thing it does better then allot of other games is the sound. I don't even have surround sound but its seriously making me want to get it. Their pretty cheap nowadays right?
well said and very true.

yes, surround can be hand relatively cheap nowadays, though i don't know your budget. but this game is a masterpiece of sound on my 5.1 setup... it is incredible in every way and for me instrumental, it has good spatial seperation so you can really hear where people are, like... exactly. nobody usually ever sneaks up on me unless the war is raging everywhere and sounds are bombarding you from all directions, which is cool as shit itself. ;)

Q-bert

Banned
shpankey said:
yes, surround can be hand relatively cheap nowadays, though i don't know your budget. but this game is a masterpiece of sound on my 5.1 setup... it is incredible in every way and for me instrumental, it has good spatial seperation so you can really hear where people are, like... exactly. nobody usually ever sneaks up on me unless the war is raging everywhere and sounds are bombarding you from all directions, which is cool as shit itself. ;)

I had been playing with just the speakers on my TV. I've now switched to headphones plugged into a receiver with "virtual surround" support for the headphones, and the difference when you're in the game is pretty awesome. You can hear where people are, you can hear where you're being shot from.

I do wish they'd up the volume/range on proximity chat. For example, on Crossroads Red Room, it would be nice if you could effectively use proximity chat to hold down both entrances to the room with a teammate using proximity chat. It would also be nice if they could fix it so that proximity chat understood walls / floors. For example, upstairs/downstairs in the fish market I dont feel should have proximity chat unless very muffled. I believe right now, it's just a function of absolute distance between emitter and receiver.

Beardz

Well, I see a lot of socom love here... we need to play together guys! We don't need to be in a clan.

Let's start a list.

Dragnet
Shurs
Beardzzz

NameIess

Q-bert said:
I had been playing with just the speakers on my TV. I've now switched to headphones plugged into a receiver with "virtual surround" support for the headphones, and the difference when you're in the game is pretty awesome. You can hear where people are, you can hear where you're being shot from.

I do wish they'd up the volume/range on proximity chat. For example, on Crossroads Red Room, it would be nice if you could effectively use proximity chat to hold down both entrances to the room with a teammate using proximity chat. It would also be nice if they could fix it so that proximity chat understood walls / floors. For example, upstairs/downstairs in the fish market I dont feel should have proximity chat unless very muffled. I believe right now, it's just a function of absolute distance between emitter and receiver.

Great ideas regarding proximity chat...
I do have to admit the sound and voice chat / proximity chat is well done with the title.

I hope to see other titles using proximity chat, because the feature adds a level of realism and immersion to the experience.

I'm not sure what variables determine when proximity chat kicks in, but volume should play a factor so you could potentially whisper over communication lines to prevent being heard in certain situations...

Treo360

McLovin said:

I got it used at GS for $10, dunno how but I did, So despite the fact that it has been extremely hit and miss for me, it only cost me $10

Dragnet

Q-bert said:

In the beta it was louder and the zone it was emitted was 50% bigger. People made a kerfuffle when /6 nerfed it but they never changed it back :(

shpankey

not an idiot
the proximity chat is very cool and useful, but it can also be annoying, as usually when you die it ends with "take that you f'n bitch!!"

the good outweighs the bad though.

Click

Banned
M3Freak said:
I don't see anyone playing R2 on my PSN list (well, here and there, but nothing like R1).

I like Socom. I just suck at it, and getting people together to play it is tough.

Come the fuck on, dude. Did you really have to stealth troll R2 here too? Seriously bro, give it a rest.

Oh, and there are people on your friend list playing SOCOM. eFart, me, and Greg are usually online playing together every night or every other few nights. Kitton and Beamer has played once or twice too, but they don't really play much.

McLovin

shpankey said:
well said and very true.

Yup I figure for around 200 I could get something that works. Its not like I can blast the sound up all the way where I live, so I figured one of Home Theater in a box(200w) systems would be enough.

Top Bottom