• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Whats people favorite moment?

In the beta i was in a 6 on 6 match with the hostages or whatever, had to kill em all, anyways all my team had been killed without respawn and there where 4 guys on their team left. Anyways had the silenced P-90 and went fucking all stealth, seen all 4 guys where hiding around the hostages, popped one guy in the head hiding behing a car, tilted arounda corner and emptied a clip into another, took out a sniper at the end of the road with a long shot and then ran inside and killed the hostages while the other guy was looking for me, killed him as he ran in through the door then killed the last hostage.

Was on the market level.

Also on same level but with the map as big as possible some dude was sniping from up near the big statue where the Seals spawn, i was in the base where the terrorists spawn (i was a terrorist) had a sweet sniper battle, he go me in the shoulder or something, i got him in the face from across the map, was awesome.

shpankey

not an idiot
mine was probably when 3 of us really worked together to hunt the last two guys on the other team. one was on the roof on market and one of our guys spotted him when the sniper was taking shots at him and pinned him down in the middle. so he was relaying to us where he was over the mic and me and the other guy worked our way around to his bldg, cleared the rooms on the bottom onto our way to the roof and came up behind him, knifed killed the sniper, freeing our man in the middle up. then we all hooked back up and tactically sweeped through the map until I ran into him, the guy got the better of me but I was able to dodge into a short alley to save my life and the other two guys took him out.

i love the teamwork in this game when you get some good guys and it all comes together. i will sit through a lot of shitty games just to get to those great ones. :D

Click

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:

There's a lot for me.

One of my favorite happened last night when I was in a 8v8 Medley room,, Demolition game, with 2 clans going at it (5-6 a side). I was on the side with the crappier clan and we got murdered the first few rounds because the other side kept camping and sniping. After the 6th round, my entire team minus 2 or 3 people left the game, so we were left with less than half a team. And then...

I won the 7th round by going 5-0, taking out their entire team and disabling their bomb plant (one guy was left on the other team because he was trying to snipe me while I disabled the bomb). Then the 8th round, I won it again for my team (we had some new joiners), going 5-0 again. In the end, my team still lost because we didn't have any bomb plants, but we tied the game 4-4. I came out with the MVP by going 16-3 and now my SOCOM e-peen got enlarged by .4 inches.

It's examples like this that makes me love SOCOM and in particular, Confrontation. When you're "on" and actually skilled enough, 1 person can take out an entire team and be the "difference-maker" in games. I'm a relatively new Confrontation player (started after Christmas), and I sucked for the first week or two of playing.

Like Resistance and all good shooters, Confrontation punishes the crappy/mediocre players ruthlessly (easy to die, no respawns, etc.), but also allows a lot of room for improvement if you're willing to learn, adapt, and use your head. On the other hand, the game richly rewards those who have learned from past mistakes, have improved their game, can outsmart and outgun others, and can adapt to the playstyle of both your team and the opposing team.

Click

Banned
shpankey said:
mine was probably when 3 of us really worked together to hunt the last two guys on the other team. one was on the roof on market and one of our guys spotted him when the sniper was taking shots at him and pinned him down in the middle. so he was relaying to us where he was over the mic and me and the other guy worked our way around to his bldg, cleared the rooms on the bottom onto our way to the roof and came up behind him, knifed killed the sniper, freeing our man in the middle up. then we all hooked back up and tactically sweeped through the map until I ran into him, the guy got the better of me but I was able to dodge into a short alley to save my life and the other two guys took him out.

i love the teamwork in this game when you get some good guys and it all comes together. i will sit through a lot of shitty games just to get to those great ones. :D

Yeah, there's nothing better than working together with a good team that uses strategy. When a team is able to move together, covering each other, and sweep rooms/zones, it's simply an amazing sight to behold and experience. Then add good communication and cooperation, it's like shooter heaven, lol. Problem is, these games don't happen all the time, but IMO, it happens more often in SOCOM games than most other shooting games.

I think SOCOM players are a special breed. You get the worst of the worst (immature kids, ignorant racists, overly egotistical assholes, teamkillers, etc.), but you also get the best of the best (cool people, great players, team players, etc.) of gamers playing this game. Playing Confrontation has brought back a lot of the memories of playing S2, remembering that this is a game that can REALLY piss me off and frustrate me, but can also REALLY make me laugh, giggle, and have a great time.

Beardz

Click said:
this is a game that can REALLY piss me off and frustrate me, but can also REALLY make me laugh, giggle, and have a great time.

Same here, just few games can make me get angry, Socom is one of them, but again, few games can make feel real "good" when I win and my team was actually playing like a team.

It's really amazing when 2 or 3 guys are walking together, everybody watching diferent angles, entering a room one at a time, the last guy watching the back, etc.

Greg

Beardz said:
Same here, just few games can make me get angry, Socom is one of them, but again, few games can make feel real "good" when I win and my team was actually playing like a team.

It's really amazing when 2 or 3 guys are walking together, everybody watching diferent angles, entering a room one at a time, the last guy watching the back, etc.
And then someone pops out and holds the trigger for half a second with the FAMAS and manages to land headshots on everyone.

Click

Banned
Greg said:
And then someone pops out and holds the trigger for half a second with the FAMAS and manages to land headshots on everyone.

:lol

FAMAS is definitely overpowered. However, it's drawback is that you need to reload a lot more often and run out of clips a lot faster compared to guns with slower fire rates (which is everything, since FAMAS shoots ridiculously fast).

alterno69

Banned
I love the rush of being the last man alive on a team and having to face 2+ enemies, knowing everyone is watching you, it's awesome to hear the comments at the end of each round no matter if you win or lose when you were last :lol

Greg

Click said:
:lol

FAMAS is definitely overpowered. However, it's drawback is that you need to reload a lot more often and run out of clips a lot faster compared to guns with slower fire rates (which is everything, since FAMAS shoots ridiculously fast).
I've never used it, but I saw a guy manage to spin around wildly with the trigger held and drop the two people that were at his back with headshots. :lol

Are you playing later tonight? This new class schedule is really fucking me up, but I have some free time.

alterno69 said:
I love the rush of being the last man alive on a team and having to face 2+ enemies, knowing everyone is watching you, it's awesome to hear the comments at the end of each round no matter if you win or lose when you were last :lol
Unless Click is your teammate and harasses you when you fail it for the team. :lol

I still haven't adapted to the whole Elimination thing - I used to love being down a few people (S2 days) knowing I had to pick up the slack and find the enemies or else we lost... now you have to hide like a bitch for 5 minutes and take the draw. I don't mind being penalized with the wait for dying because it makes the killing that much more rewarding, but Elimination is terrible compared to Suppression.

Click

Banned
Greg said:
I've never used it, but I saw a guy manage to spin around wildly with the trigger held and drop the two people that were at his back with headshots. :lol

Are you playing later tonight? This new class schedule is really fucking me up, but I have some free time.

I'm on now...

Greg said:
Unless Click is your teammate and harasses you when you fail it for the team. :lol

Hey now. It's called motivation, not harassment. >.>

Plus, if people are dumb and make mistakes, I feel like it's my duty to educate them so they won't repeat it again. :D

Greg said:
I still haven't adapted to the whole Elimination thing - I used to love being down a few people (S2 days) knowing I had to pick up the slack and find the enemies or else we lost... now you have to hide like a bitch for 5 minutes and take the draw. I don't mind being penalized with the wait for dying because it makes the killing that much more rewarding, but Elimination is terrible compared to Suppression.

Elimination is pretty good, but like I said last page, it encourages over-camping. But it does make sense. If you're outnumbered, you shouldn't be required to run around looking for people, when they could be camping and/or setting an ambush for you. I like both Elimination and Suppression. I just want Suppression (only) room to be available as a game option.

oneHeero

All this Socom talk and seeing Socom thread on the front page lately makes me wanna double dip. Wish I never sold it but a friend bout it new the other day so that may push me over the edge to rebuy it. Now whether to buy it used on craigs or new for the +1(or +2).

mr stroke

just picked this up after hearing about the 1.3 patch, and after playing for 5 hours tonight I must say the game is running like butter so far :)
much better than the last time I played it(beta)
nice to play Socom again after all the COD running and gunning, not many games like it anymore other than Ghost Recon. add me to the GAF Socom list, lets play.

PSN- mr stroke

Q-bert

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:

I dont think I have a favorite moment, but I will mention that I very much enjoy any time I'm in a gun fight with someone and we're dancing around cover (a fruit cart, a bus, a shipping container) and instead of reloading my primary I take the time to swap to my secondary (Desert Eagle) to put him down.

In COD4, for example, there's really nothing special about this action. But in SOCOM, I find this so incredibly hard to do (maybe because I'm new?) that I find great satisfaction when I'm actually able to execute it. There's a couple things that make this hard compared to others:
1. your quick swap might be on grenades from having used them earlier in the round, so you (I?) have to take a moment to stop movement and use the weapon wheel to switch. (compared to reloading your primary, where you are able to continue movement while performing the action)
2. you really need to aim. spray and pray doesnt usually work out that well; the DE in particular, you need to aim each bullet.

The combination of the sound of the Desert Eagle, the DualShock vibration, seeing the man drop with his ragdoll animation, and the relative rareness (for me) of this happening, is very satisfying. Managed to do it 1 out of 4 tries last night.

TheGOHN

I picked up SOCOM when it came out and i have to say Ive only played maybe three matches. Every time I decide to try it again I play 1 then I turn it off. I don't know why but I cant get in to this game, could be lack of patience or the fact that I don't know anyone who plays it(not to mention its an on-line only game so I have no single player to cut my teeth on).
For the most part I cant get more than one kill before being shot myself, maybe if I could play with some people who know what they are doing and know that I don't I cold break though one and done slump I'm in.

shpankey

not an idiot
GOHN,

I would suggest, at first, to try unranked servers, suppression with infinite respawns until you get a good feel of the game. This will allow you to continually play and better your skills. No way should you jump right in to elimination with no respawns... it takes too long to get a good feel for the game for most people. Hell, I still play that way a lot. :D There's a lot of servers that say stuff like "new players" or "newbz" etc that are a good starting point.

Q-bert

Banned
I agree with shpankey, at this point you haven't played the game enough to know the map, or how to shoot, or how to effectively take cover. Spend some time in infinite "newbz only" or "respawn fun" rooms and be slow about it. Walk around the maps, let others charge in front of you, and learn to shoot by shooting the guy that shoots your teammate. After you learn the maps and how to shoot, go to the ranked no respawn rooms where the focus will switch to communication in order to win.

shpankey

not an idiot
Ya, definitely don't give up on it though. Think of it this way, if everyone could just jump in and rock, there'd hardly be any skill to it. This is where the game gives you that incredibly rich satisfaction, b/c of the times you failed and how skilled it can be
(and therefore difficult at first), when you do pull off a run of 5 kill, finish off the other team and get a MVP, it's a truely awesome, awesome feeling.

In a way, in order for a game to give you that high high, it has to have a period where you have low's too. ;)

Q-bert

Banned
Oh man.

Seth Luisi just posted on socom.com release notes for the 1.30 patch that came out on Friday.

The previous post was from Abigale, acknowledging the problems.

Poor old Seth could have at least included an opening paragraph on the status of those problems, but instead, comes off looking like the right hand doesnt know what the left is doing. Except Seth is supposed to be the brain. Or pinky. Whatever.

Did the 1.30 patch do more harm than good?

I've been waiting to get back into this game until after the patch because I hate the lobby system. But now I'm hearing things about Quick Match not working and added lag. Can someone spill some details? Is it worth jumping back into now that 1.3 has been posted and does it make a difference in any way?

Q-bert

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Did the 1.30 patch do more harm than good?

No, I wouldn't go that far. It did create some problems though; you can read back in this thread a few pages for more.

As far as how it affects you, the quick match in my opinion is not useful at all in this form.

Man, this game...I dunno.

Just played it for the first time after the 1.3 patch.

Basically, the quick match option is worthless. I sat there time and time again all by myself. Great job on that one. Really.

Lag was still there, games were jumpy.

And the thing that topped it all off, which made me finally realize I'm done with this game/unfinished beta is when we start a new round and I'm already dead because a player on my team knifed me.

So much fun.

mr stroke

CartridgeBlower said:

Basically, the quick match option is worthless. I sat there time and time again all by myself. Great job on that one. Really.

And the thing that topped it all off, which made me finally realize I'm done with this game/unfinished beta is when we start a new round and I'm already dead because a player on my team knifed me.

So much fun.

I would suggest using the server browser and picking one of the first Medley games on top of the list, I have had zero lag doing this and had no problems getting into a full game(over the last 2 nights since 1.30 patch)

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
In the last 10 hours I played I almost had zero lag, everyone is just bitching about the smallest things, just because they like bitching on Slant Six :(

a couple of comments that really annoyed me on socom.com

Seriously this is a playstation 3 game??? Horrible lag, loading times, glitches, crappy design features. You sure destroyed the socom franchise.
Loading times are 10 seconds and were even longer in SOCOM 2, glitches? SOCOM 2 had hundreds of glitches, Confrontation maybe 5? Lag? I played 10 hours and maybe had 5 seconds of lag total since the new patch

lol the patch has messed things up even more, more lag....no rank...no stats are being recorded....how about u make a post about things that are going on and tell us how ur working on fixing it. we don't need to see all that crap u posted because WE ALREADY KNOW....wow get on the ball and stop stalling with these stupid post
Is this guy playing another game than me? I have a rank, my stats are perfect, i don't have lag...

WHY WOULD YOU ALLOW A UPDATE FOR THE HOSTAGES NOT TO RUN FROM SMOKE NADES HOW WOULD THEY KNOW IF THEY WERE SMOKE OR NOT NOT ONLY THAT NOW WHOEVER IS WATCHING THE HOSTAGES WON'T RUN BECAUSE THE HOSTAGES TELL THE PLAYER THERE ONLY SMOKE NADES.JUST ANOTHER UPDATE THAT WAS NOT THOUGHT OUT.
He is right, what a terrible problem...

all buttons need the option to be changed. I want my d-pad switch shoulder cam back. how hard is that?
So, first everyone was complaining about this, now that it is fixed, they want the old back?? Say what?

Tell me good Sir, what is the point of extending the rounds if we can't change weapons during that time frame?
Yes, you can, you just have to die...

"Doubled the end of round time where players can run around and do stuff"

BUT YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING!
This guy apparently has never played SOCOM before...

The SOCOM cummunity really dissapoints me :(

shpankey

not an idiot
It's not just the socom community but gamers are this way in general. Refusal to change or adapt. Gears 2, Resistance 2, WaW, this game, they all have their detractors who basically bitch it's not the same game they had online before.

This game has issues that pop-up, some more annoying than others... most are no big deal and seem minor to me in the overall scheme. No doubt they will be fixed, but people like hyperbole on the internet so this stuff gets blown out of proportion. My guess is, people do this thinking it will have an impact on the game. Perhaps trying to get the developers to fix it and fix it faster by going to the extreme.

In the end, is it fun? Hell yes it is. It is in fact addicting. That's all I want from a game.

Q-bert

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
I believe there is concensus on that.

I'm not saying there aren't laggy games, but either you are getting into really crappy rooms, or possibly the problem is on your end. I got into 2 crappy rooms last night out of maybe 4 that I entered, with the 4th room being the one I was in without problem for 3 hours. One of the rooms was initially very laggy but sorted itself out after 3 rounds or so on the first map.

I played COD4 HC SnD for 20 minutes last night, 2nd match had a dumbass with an RPG T/K'ing the whole team. At least in SOCOM, you can vote the guy out.

Also wanted to mention some people prefer the controller layout where the run button is the same as the knife attack, so everytime they start running they swipe their knife. I see 2-3 accidental spawn knifings a night.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Q-bert said:
I'm not saying there aren't laggy games, but either you are getting into really crappy rooms, or possibly the problem is on your end.
There is a easy way to test your connection, Resistance 2.
I have a lousy 1MB internet connection and i leave on a forgotten country and i never experienced serious lag on Resistance 2 (Even with 60 players!)
If R2 is laggy ,then is your connection.

Q-bert

Banned
Fersis said:
There is a easy way to test your connection, Resistance 2.
I have a lousy 1MB internet connection and i leave on a forgotten country and i never experienced serious lag on Resistance 2 (Even with 60 players!)
If R2 is laggy ,then is your connection.

Actually, I would have thought the opposite. i.e. SOCOM is a good test for your connection lagification, because (I think it's obvious to everybody) the quality of the software is not that great.

I have two guys on my list who can play COD4/WaW with only occasional problems, but for SOCOM they are constantly lagging around the map and have frequent disconnects.

In other words, if you can play SOCOM lag free, COD/R2 are a walk in the park.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Q-bert said:
Actually, I would have thought the opposite. i.e. SOCOM is a good test for your connection lagification, because (I think it's obvious to everybody) the quality of the software is not that great.

I have two guys on my list who can play COD4/WaW with only occasional problems, but for SOCOM they are constantly lagging around the map and have frequent disconnects.

In other words, if you can play SOCOM lag free, COD/R2 are a walk in the park.
My vacactions start next week so im gonna have lot of free time,i will try SOCOM add if you want to.

GQman2121

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:

So much fun.

I bet that happens more frequently now than ever, since you can no long fully customize the controls.

One step forward, six slanted steps back.

TheGOHN

Proc said:
have you guys seen these vids? they are pretty funny: http://www.myspace.com/socomisdead

How many of his problems were fixed in the most recent patch?

I just played yesterday and half those thing happened to me.

very funny.

Edit: Evry time I start to like this game..... it craps on my face. I could play a game of Hardcore S&D in the time it takes to get in game in SOCOM.

Q-bert

Banned
TheGOHN said:
Edit: Evry time I start to like this game..... it craps on my face. I could play a game of Hardcore S&D in the time it takes to get in game in SOCOM.

I used to think exactly the same thing. However COD is not without it's own quirks.

Yes, you can probably go by yourself into a HC S&D game faster than navigating the Select Channel screen in SOCOM.

But if you're trying to play with a small group (4-6) people,
a. getting them all in the party takes some time
b. getting the party into a game takes some time.
c. getting into a game that plays to completion is not guaranteed.

I went back on COD4 for about 20min the other night, and just getting into the first game that played to completion (not "Host Ended Game") must have taken 5 minutes or more (so-and-so can't get in this party, go to his. oops couldnt get into his. OK we're all in a party find a game. "game full" error, remake party. ok we're in a game. oops so-and-so didn't make it, back out.) Having played it nightly for over a year, you kind of forget those things.

I havent played R2 enough to say if it has a comparable set of issues.

I dont care who does it or how it happens, but I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like some uniformity on PS3 games as far as matchmaking and party systems go. Everybody re-inventing these wheels, I don't think is working out too well.

edit: Rainbow 6 Vegas 1/2 quite possibly may have been the worst of this bunch as far as game finding and map loading screens go. I remember moving from R6V1 to COD4 when it came out and thinking "I can't believe how fast this is!" (finding a game, that is)

TheGOHN

Q-bert,

Your right, but I have to say (and I know I'm gonna get eaten alive for this but.....) the game play Ive seen in SOCOM just isn't worth all the trouble Ive had with it. That said, I will admit I am a bigger fan of FPS, I find my own head distracting, in the way, and pointless. That, on top of the lag and many other issues make it hard for me to enjoy the game.

I would like to point out that I try very hard to enjoy third person shooters.
I have ARMY of TWO and SOCOM.

Q-bert

Banned
TheGOHN said:
Q-bert,
I would like to point out that I try very hard to enjoy third person shooters.
I have ARMY of TWO and SOCOM.

SOCOM is definitely not for everyone, maybe an acquired taste.

Did you try/like Metal Gear Online?

TheGOHN

Q-bert said:
Did you try/like Metal Gear Online?

I was in the beta. I didn't really like it, I got MGS4 ( I forgot to put that in my list ) and i love the MGS games, but I didn't think it worked well for online mutiplayer. Thats just me tho. Maybe I just need to accept that I don't like third person shooters and move on.

Please don't think I'm just one who likes every FPS game just cuz I cant play 3rdPS's and no matter what you say to me i will always argue that a FPS is better, for example HAZE was dog crap, UT3 was just not my style, and i didn't like R2 . I love Splinter Cell ( not online) and I spent a lot of time playing SOCOM 2 ( also not online) and loved it.

GQman2121

Banned
TheGOHN said:
Your right, but I have to say (and I know I'm gonna get eaten alive for this but.....) the game play Ive seen in SOCOM just isn't worth all the trouble Ive had with it. That said, I will admit I am a bigger fan of FPS, I find my own head distracting, in the way, and pointless. That, on top of the lag and many other issues make it hard for me to enjoy the game.

The main gameplay change to Confrontation is that the on foot movements are so-much-slower than any of the previous games in the series. Strafing and or turning are almost non-existent in straight up one on one shootouts. People will of course dispute this, but I think it's obvious, and only exists to justify the run button.

The slower movements mixed in with the camera going screwy when you're near or around walls or objects, and yes--absolutely, your head can hinder your view. And then of course you have to also factor in the constant two second pauses, which people will also dispute.

ravien56

hey, if anyone wants to add me to their psn, maybe play in a party, i dont really care if its ranked or not, add me its ravien56

TheGOHN

GQman2121 said:
The main gameplay change to Confrontation is that the on foot movements are so-much-slower than any of the previous games in the series. Strafing and or turning are almost non-existent in straight up one on one shootouts. People will of course dispute this, but I think it's obvious, and only exists to justify the run button.

The slower movements mixed in with the camera going screwy when you're near or around walls or objects, and yes--absolutely, your head can hinder your view. And then of course you have to also factor in the constant two second pauses, which people will also dispute.

I noticed this a lot, On COD4/W@W I play with the look sensitivity on INSANE and in SOCOM even with the sensitivity all the way up it feels so slow, then I go back to COD and I cant control my self for at least 1-2 games of S&D.

Click

Banned
GQman2121 said:

Movement is slower, but it's not "so much" slower. If you think you're moving, running, strafing slowly, then you're probably overloaded and overweight. The weight mechanics to Confrontation makes a big difference. It effects every movement ability you have. Sure, having some heavy armor may be nice to prevent yourself from dying super fast, but it will also prevent you from strafing and walking at a good pace. Plus, all those "lucky" headshots will still kill you in 1 shot regardless of the armor you have on.

You're complaining about not being able to strafe and turn in a gunfight, but I completely disagree with you here. In fact, people complain about being able to strafe TOO MUCH in firefights, having to rely on spraying and praying for a "lucky" headshot or body kill. Again, if you think you can't strafe or turn well, then you've probably got too much shit on your character.

mr stroke

TuxBobble said:
Beardz said:
Well, I see a lot of socom love here... we need to play together guys! We don't need to be in a clan.

Let's start a list.
Dragnet
Shurs
Beardzzz
TuxBobble

Quote, add, and Bold new additions! Friend people before you!

add me..

PSN mr stroke

so......just hoppin into this topic...is there a GAF clan? if so....

can i get in on that?

there should be enough people here that play weekly too, anyone up for starting one?

been playing all week and game has been really good to me outside of a little lag here and there, now bring on some new maps /6!!!

Dragnet

mr stroke said:
there should be enough people here that play weekly too, anyone up for starting one?

been playing all week and game has been really good to me outside of a little lag here and there, now bring on some new maps /6!!!

Me and my bud would be well up for that :D

Concept17

I'm sure its been said somewhere but I don't have time to read through the thread...

Can you get achievements by playing unranked, or do stats only count on ranked?

Top Bottom