• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin Klein's Idea of Plus Size Is Pissing People Off (Yahoo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I saw this on the Yahoo homepage and thought it was ridiculous.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/calvin-kleins-idea-of-plus-size-is-pissing-people-off-102274897493.html

3dd07e9e1a5018636ee00578259855a4ddbd18d4.jpg

That's plus sized?!

Myla Dalbesio is a size 10. She’s smaller than the average woman — size 14 — but larger than a sample size. Because she doesn’t fit into a size 0 or 2, she has been called plus size, typically a size 12 and up. But looking at the 27-year-old model, who just debuted as the face of Calvin Klein’s “Perfectly Fit” campaign, she obviously doesn’t fit in with the skinny girls but she certainly isn’t shopping in the plus size section and her representing the category is perplexing to many people.

Lara Stone, Jourdan Dunn, and Ji Hye Park are the other models featured alongside Dalbesio and while she’s larger than them, and comparatively to her peers, she’s just the biggest in the group, but not necessarily big enough to be considered plus size. On Twitter, Jacqueline Ford calls the categorization a “joke,” Katrine Reichert writes that it’s “fat shaming,” Donna L. Bridges says it’s a “visual paradox,” and Susan E. Sponberg asks “where’s the plus?”

0399476a0b76c19c9d0958346c33af7e779bfbff.jpg

73bb4ab3710c27d6febb2849c89c3ce893efacb6.jpg

I saw this on the Yahoo homepage and thought it was ridiculous.

That's plus sized?!

Could be the case, but probably dependent on the height and build. She looks pretty tall, so even though proportionally, she looks "normal" or even borderline "fit", she may well be women's "plus" by height and build alone.

terrisus

So plus size is the new normal. It was bound to happen some day.

That's... Not "normal..."

Seriously, it's right in the OP:

Myla Dalbesio is a size 10. She’s smaller than the average woman — size 14 — but larger than a sample size. Because she doesn’t fit into a size 0 or 2, she has been called plus size

entremet

Woah!

Don't google image search if you're at work. Didn't know she worked nude lol.

But she's definitely not what I would consider plus sized.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People getting up in arms about this are dumb as hell.

Why are they comparing themselves or "the average person" to people in the fashion model industry?

It's not even like Calvin Klein is marketing her as a "plus-sized model" or anything, either.

MercuryLS

Banned
Normal sized = Plus sized?

My ex had that kind of body and worried that I wouldn't be attracted, I couldn't understand it. Big butt, big boobs, a tiny bit of meat on her bones...just awesome.

I feel bad for women, fuck these companies and what it's done to them.

kirblar

Woah!

Don't google image search if you're at work. Didn't know she worked nude lol.

But she's definitely not what I would consider plus sized.
The issue is that the models are living hangers. So the "regular" clothes are modeled by the super-skinny, and the "plus-size" are modeled by "regular" people.

Alucrid

Banned
People getting up in arms about this are dumb as hell.

Why are they comparing themselves or "the average person" to people in the fashion model industry?

It's not even like Calvin Klein is marketing her as a "plus-sized model" or anything, either.

pretty much, people can't put their pitchforks down

But as it happens, Calvin Klein never labeled Ms. Dalbesio a plus-size model or presented her that way in its ads. The conversation was prompted by an interview with the model in Elle magazine in which she talks about plus-size modeling, and the problems with being neither a super-skinny girl nor a really big one. She’s a size 10.

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/201...lus-size-controversy-over-myla-dalbesio/?_r=0

S-Wind

Nowadays the average American woman is overweight, or approaching obesity.

Are we to accept that as "normal"?

I don't understand clothing sizes for women. They seem to change every so often to prey on women's insecurities trying to fit into the culturally forced misogynistic stereotypes of beauty.

I mean look at men's clothing. If your waist is 30 inches in circumference and your legs are 36 inches in length you wear a size 30x36 pair of pants. Pretty straightforward and simple.

Cagey

Banned
In fact, she says in the piece: “It’s not like [Calvin Klein] released this campaign and were like ‘Whoa, look, there’s this plus-size girl in our campaign.’ They released me in this campaign with everyone else; there’s no distinction. It’s not a separate section for plus-size girls.”

Can we still be angry doe.

Drifters

The word average doesn't belong in the fashion industry. Everyone can stop the faux AstroTurf rage and go on buying their Target Levi 501s now.

I don't understand clothing sizes for women. They seem to change every so often to prey on women's insecurities trying to fit into the culturally forced misogynistic stereotypes of beauty.

I mean look at men's clothing. If your waist is 30 inches in circumference and your legs are 36 inches in length you wear a size 30x36 pair of pants. Pretty straightforward and simple.

Not quite.

Normal sized = Plus sized?

My ex had that kind of body and worried that I wouldn't be attracted, I couldn't understand it. Big butt, big boobs, a tiny bit of meat on her bones...just awesome.

I feel bad for women, fuck these companies and what it's done to them.

Yep, its a shame. Women with a bit of meat on their bones are my type of women and lots of other men (not that this should be the barometer of self worth), no disrespect to the thin ladies

I know someone that works as a designer there, i wonder if they had anything to do with this.

Also, where does the company call her plus size? They said she looks normal.

Laekon

What does smaller than the average women but larger than a sample size mean?

In this case it's average of the U.S. Population. Sample size is what the manufacturer uses in the development process. All design and production samples are all the same size so you only have 1 piece to work on. One that piece is considered done you use a scale for the measurements to make all the other sizes. So for example the sleeve diameter of a men's t-shirt might increase .25" for each size. Development samples turn into photo samples so models are chosen based on them fitting the sample size. I developed cycling apparel and we used small for women and medium for mens. All our women's fit models were average or below average height vs high fashion fit models that are mostly taller than average.

That's a normal, healthy looking and beautiful woman. Calvin Klein and his people need their glasses/eyes checked. So does the industry they work in.

This is pathetic.

Alucrid

Banned

Nope. I'm a size 3, size 46, size 29, and 31 in different pairs of pants i own

Lyonaz

So I googled Myla Dalbesio (Why hello there beautiful lady.)

Yeah she's not plus sized. Normal sized more like.

Hedi Slimane begs to differ.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
That's a normal, healthy looking and beautiful woman. Calvin Klein and his people need their glasses/eyes checked. So does the industry they work in.

This is pathetic.

..... I don't think anyone said otherwise?

Celegus

Never thought about this before, but Imperial measurement might actually have some competition for worst scale of measurement. Clothing sizes are such a confusing horrible mess.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just posting my opinion and saying I agree with everyone else. It pisses me off, though, because she's skinny and beautiful.

Didn't mean to be argumentative or anything...

What pisses you off?

The fact that she called herself plus-sized in an interview? The fact that, in the modeling industry, she is larger than most of the other models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom