• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin Klein's Idea of Plus Size Is Pissing People Off (Yahoo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is "plus size" is a marketing term thought up by the fashion industry. It's meant for anyone that is over an 9. Fat chicks just took it as meaning something that fits them.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Considering that most people are fat nowadays, I don't Think the "eating disorder" argument works to counter the message they are sending here.

They are basically shifting down their size requirement for "plus size" which is a symptom of being larger than the "Calvin Klein average" being smaller than the normal average.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sending the message that people should try to be skinnier nowadays, and the pushback against this seems counterintuitive when we have people complaining about obesity being a problem and then getting angry at the messaging that might push back against that imbalance.

.GqueB.

Banned
Considering that most people are fat nowadays, I don't Think the "eating disorder" argument works to counter the message they are sending here.

They are basically shifting down their size requirement for "plus size" which is a symptom of being larger than the "Calvin Klein average" being smaller than the normal average.

I think it's less about the amount of people that are fat and more about the amount of people who are made to feel bad about being fat. Things like this can also create unrealistic expectations for how men and women should look etc etc.

I completely agree with your edit though. I just think we need to push better reasoning for wanting to be "skinny". People often get too caught up in the aesthetic rather than the health implications*.

*Guilty

Zoe

But they're not. Double digits is "plus size" no matter whether you get there because you're fat, tall, top-heavy, bottom-heavy, or all of the above.

Seth C

She's normal. That's what a normal woman her age looks like (or is supposed to look like).

Most people that are normal weight are probably not going to be sick from their weight. I wouldn't say they are healthy, necessarily, but they're more unlikely to have health problems from/related to weight (as opposed to extreme thinness or obesity).

Except that she isn't normal. She's a healthy target for what should be normal, but compared to the norm she's actually thin. Yet, she's not thin. She's a healthy weight for her height.

Her weight is healthy.

Valhelm

contribute something
Thank you

Fat people are getting outraged because they don't want to hear that what they are doing is bad and that they need to eat healthier and exercise.

But that model isn't plus-sized at all. Even if you exclude obese people, that woman is around average. She's not plus anything, unless you use the fashion model standard to be average.

Zoe

But that model isn't plus-sized at all. Even if you exclude obese people, that woman is around average. She's not plus anything, unless you use the fashion model standard to be average.

If she wears a size 10, she's plus.

The Lamp

Plus size is just a term in the modeling industry to mean you're larger than the standard size. It never meant large or obese. It's a classification. My friend is a famous plus size model and she's beautiful. She just gets different modeling jobs from the standard models.

She looks fat be honest, look at her arms

Here's an image I found from a quick Google image search.

myla22.jpg

I don't think I'd consider her to be fat.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sending the message that people should try to be skinnier nowadays, and the pushback against this seems counterintuitive when we have people complaining about obesity being a problem and then getting angry at the messaging that might push back against that imbalance.

And yet it is possible to be too thin. Being underweight is a huge problem as well. Maybe we should push for healthy weights rather than supermodel thin.

Cagey

Banned
And yet it is possible to be too thin. Being underweight is a huge problem as well. Maybe we should push for healthy weights rather than supermodel thin.

When you say being underweight is a "huge problem" (word choice is funny)... is "huge problem" referring to severity in the number of persons who are underweight, or referring to the severity of the problem for an individual person if they are underweight?

If it's the former -- the numbers -- I don't think that's true at all.

Size 14 doesn't look bad because she is airbrushed. Most people (men and women) who are of that size also have muffin tops and flab.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Sure, but we live in an age where its all or nothing -- no gray areas. You're either fat or skinny. "Healthy" is ambiguous.

ItIsOkBro

When you say being underweight is a "huge problem" (word choice is funny)... is "huge problem" referring to severity in the number of persons who are underweight, or referring to the severity of the problem for an individual person if they are underweight?

If it's the former -- the numbers -- I don't think that's true at all.

Ofc it‘s the latter, days go by before one sees an underweight person in America.

Her chest is bigger, but I'm having a hard time seeing the considerably thicker limbs, or the curves (aside from her chest).

Oh well. All three of them look very physically attractive to me. Most women don't look like any of those women...

Her legs and forearms look bigger to me. Kind of hard to tell much beyond that because of the angle.

Reishiki

Banned
Women's sizing charts are the worst.

I'm a size 22 (I'm 6'2", for reference), but I think that only applies in Marks and Spencer. It's also extremely hard finding UK Size 12 shoes.

[/transgenderproblems]

wildfire

Banned
For men who are confused as to why this is problem, imagine:

1) A women's basketball being portrayed as a men's basketball
2) A Nintendo Wii is as compared favorably for its graphics to a PS3/360
3) A someone in Subaru challenging you to a street race

Sometimes a message is being made that just comes across as retarded and that's what this usage of plus size is doing.

Sometimes a message is being made that just comes across as retarded and that's what this usage of plus size is doing.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

i understand completely

Stet

Banned

Except it's more like someone holding out a Wii and saying "this is a Wii" and someone yelling "WHY WOULD YOU CALL THAT A WIIU WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM"

Alucrid

Banned

takes issue with this imaginary "plus sized" brouhaha

uses the word "retarded"

let's all take a step back, catch our breath, and stop giving the wii u free press it doesn't deserve.

this is why i like the euro system. you're just a number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom