• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin Klein's Idea of Plus Size Is Pissing People Off (Yahoo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
oJQVo8f.jpg

If that's a 6 then what is a, say, 2?

Edit: All 3 of those women are exceedingly gorgeous, btw.

I don't understand clothing sizes for women. They seem to change every so often to prey on women's insecurities trying to fit into the culturally forced misogynistic stereotypes of beauty.

I mean look at men's clothing. If your waist is 30 inches in circumference and your legs are 36 inches in length you wear a size 30x36 pair of pants. Pretty straightforward and simple.

Men's clothing have vanity sizing as well.

Astral

She's thick-ish I guess, but she's tall. From what I've seen, a lot of girls her height have a similar body type. She seems normal.

freddy

Banned
I mean look at men's clothing. If your waist is 30 inches in circumference and your legs are 36 inches in length you wear a size 30x36 pair of pants. Pretty straightforward and simple.

It's not simple if you don't know if the leg or waist measurement comes first.

That was dumb of Calvin Klein to represent her as a "plus size" model. Of course people are going to be mad when they put her pictures in a separate "plus size" section. That's not "plus size"!

Calvin Klein never labeled Ms. Dalbesio a plus-size model or presented her that way in its ads.

Hmm. But still, what if they had presented her as a "plus size" model? The very fact that they could have, even though they didn't, is still worthy of outrage.

But looking at the 27-year-old model, who just debuted as the face of Calvin Klein’s “Perfectly Fit” campaign

OK, so they called her "perfectly fit" instead of "plus size." But again, imagine if instead of calling her fit they called her "plus size." They totally could have done that, and deserve to be called on almost maybe having done it.

Hmm. But still, what if they had presented her as a "plus size" model? The very fact that they could have, even though they didn't, is still worthy of outrage.

What I'm outraged over is the fact that they could've dressed her up as Hitler and glorified Nazis. Calvin Klein has some fucking nerve!

AMUSIX

That was dumb of Calvin Klein to represent her as a "plus size" model. Of course people are going to be mad when they put her pictures in a separate "plus size" section. That's not "plus size"!

OK, so they called her "perfectly fit" instead of "plus size." But again, imagine if instead of calling her fit they called her "plus size." They totally could have done that, and deserve to be called on almost maybe having done it.

not psycho

I-dont-believe-you.gif

You almost had me there. Your edit ruined it.

When you say being underweight is a "huge problem" (word choice is funny)... is "huge problem" referring to severity in the number of persons who are underweight, or referring to the severity of the problem for an individual person if they are underweight?

If it's the former -- the numbers -- I don't think that's true at all.

The latter.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There was a documentary called "Are All Men Pedophiles?" and I didn't watch it (I did). I did watch the trailer and one person says that models who try to get into the industry at age 19 (I believe) is too old. I wonder if the same idea follows. Some extremely thin women don't look healthy at all.

Edit: FYI It's rentible on PSN and I just watched it. I learned some things I never knew about. It went over how women are known to gain weight after puberty, so the fashion industry views a younger generation over older people.

Nekofrog

Banned
my wife is 5'4" and during her eating disorder period was around 90lbs. she had to buy stuff from the little girls section

she's now around what I consider to be a healthy 120 and a size 2 which i know is not the norm/average in the USA. sometimes still has to buy little girls stuff. maybe i just don't understand women sizes but it seems logical to me that to be considered "plus" size you would have to be legit over 200lbs+ and not fit into the "normative" or "average" size.

my view is probably skewed though, as i've seen lots of women that by the klein idea of "plus sized" would never be actually considered "plus sized" in the real world.

also "plus sized" is a dumb term that serves to only tell women that they're "not normal"

lenovox1

The fact that she even thinks she's plus-size. To me, plus size is about being slightly bigger in a weight sense. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it should be.

To me, she's a tall, normal, and very good-looking woman. There's nothing wrong with being plus size, either (lots of overweight women are still very attractive to me), but the classifications need to change.

"Plus" is generally equivalent to "big & tall." You don't have to fit into plus sizes.

I'm sure most WNBA players are plus sizes.

Loofy

I dont get why they have these plus size labels anyways. Why not just say size 10.

Is there an equivalent for men or do they just call it 'size 32'

(you size 32 fatasses)

Zoe

I dont get why they have these plus size labels anyways. Why not just say size 10.

Is there an equivalent for men or do they just call it 'size 32'

(you size 32 fatasses)

You can't infinitely scale clothing to fit larger people--it's not going to look right. The "plus" label is usually used for clothing made specifically for those proportions.

Loofy

You can't infinitely scale clothing to fit larger people--it's not going to look right. The "plus" label is usually used for clothing made specifically for those proportions.
So theres a 'size 10', and theres a 'size 10 plus size?'

Zoe

So theres a 'size 10', and theres a 'size 10 plus size?'

There's size 10 that's just a size 6 with more fabric and then a size 10, usually sold at a different store, using different patterns.

This shirt comes in extra large, but it's probably gonna look like a tit curtain on someone that size.
EXhCaCo.jpg

Hmph. I'm just saying... when I hear "noticeably thicker," I expect... well... really obviously thicker.

Or maybe I'm just really bad at telling thickness/weight, which could also be true given that normally don't pay attention to that.

you need to understand that a lot of guys on here spend way more time staring at women and would notice more things.

also you need a happier avatar.

ElyrionX

The problem is "plus size" is a marketing term thought up by the fashion industry. It's meant for anyone that is over an 9. Fat chicks just took it as meaning something that fits them.

Lol pretty much this. Insecure fat chicks kicking up a storm over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom