• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours (3/30/07)

farnham

Banned
YYZ said:
I would keep my mouth shut until you put out your own podcast that beats or at least matches every aspect of 1Up Yours.

It's easy to say that their job is so simple and anyone can do it, but actually doing it? It's not as simple as just talking about games.
they are a lot of good podcasts that are easily more entertaining then 1up yours..

Grecco

Mifune said:
That's pretty much the only reason to play the Wii right now.

big1pe.jpg

And the Gaf Jesus. :) and Virtual Console, and Exite Truck. But yeah Party Games lawl.

colinp

Banned
Conch is pronounced both "conk" and with the ch! Personally, I prefer conk...

Good episode thus far, just hit the news. I :lol Shawn's disbelief at the beginning of the GTA4 trailer discussion.

farnham

Banned
Dante said:
:lol maybe 10 years ago.
yeah we will see in december..

i cant believe some people are actually doubting the selling power of this game..

or that some hardcore people are going to love it just because of nostalgia

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
farnham said:
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games dude

Its mario and sonic.. thats like a fanboys wet dream.. or am i wrong.. if you played games at the SNES and Genesis age (which was the highlight of gaming for me personally) it is really the biggest megaton that could ever happen..

Yes, I owned an SNES and I thought it'd be cool, but honestly I'm 18 now and I don't really care. I think this type of game has more appeal in the casual audience. I'd care about Mario vs. Sonic in smash brothers...that'd be cool. This just sounds like an Olympics game (OF WHICH I'VE BEEN FOOLED INTO BUYING MANY TIMES) with Mario and Sonic.

I am not going to automatically splooge just at the idea of having the two together. Sorry...I like ice cream and I like steak, but just putting them together for the sake of doing it doesn't appeal to me. Will Mario and Sonic in this game have any particular emphasis on the gameplay or is it just going to be some kind of mascot fanservice?

I see what you're saying, but "fanboy dream" and "hardcore crowd" doesn't always work out right because of system "biases."

Wiitard

Banned
the disgruntled gamer said:
I knew it! GAF didn't even last one page before starting the "1UP Yours hates the Wii" stuff.
I was right.
Also, this everyone at 1UP is buying the Halo 3 $130. WTF? There are probably 3 people at 1UP who are buying that.
Seriously, for a while it was entertaining to hear you guys whine, but it has grown old.

You see, it is the DEGREE of bias that is staggering. Saying 1UP is biased against the Wii is like saying bin Laden is biased against the US - a slight understatement.

Grecco

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Yes, I owned an SNES and I thought it'd be cool, but honestly I'm 18 now and I don't really care. I think this type of game has more appeal in the casual audience. I'd care about Mario vs. Sonic in smash brothers...that'd be cool.

Who says thats not happening?

YYZ said:
I would keep my mouth shut until you put out your own podcast that beats or at least matches every aspect of 1Up Yours.

It's easy to say that their job is so simple and anyone can do it, but actually doing it? It's not as simple as just talking about games.

And I don't look to Luke for his opinions like you said a lot of people do.

BTW Shawn is the best :)
You're right about that. I should just shut up.

You have to admit that there's a lot of d*ck sucking that occurs whenever a 1up guy (or any well-known gaming personality besides Dennis Dyack) posts here.

farnham

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Yes, I owned an SNES and I thought it'd be cool, but honestly I'm 18 now and I don't really care. I think this type of game has more appeal in the casual audience. I'd care about Mario vs. Sonic in smash brothers...that'd be cool. This just sounds like an Olympics game (OF WHICH I'VE BEEN FOOLED INTO BUYING MANY TIMES) with Mario and Sonic.

I am not going to automatically splooge just at the idea of having the two together. Sorry...I like ice cream and I like steak, but just putting them together for the sake of doing it doesn't appeal to me. Will Mario and Sonic in this game have any particular emphasis on the gameplay or is it just going to be some kind of mascot fanservice?

I see what you're saying, but "fanboy dream" and "hardcore crowd" doesn't always work out right because of system "biases."
sounds a lot like wii sports to me.. and many millions of people enjoyed that game.. i played more hours playing wii sports with my friends then any of those great co op online what ever games.. and no it does not get boring.. eventhough i memorized every friggin course on the golf game now..

Blackface

Banned
The people who work for 1up have an unbiased view of all consoles when it comes to reviewing and critiquing. They are professionals and have there job for a reason. I have heard each system bashed for there faults and each praised for the things they do well. The fact of the matter is you are listening to a podcast, a medium that allows the editors, writers and freelancers to express there personal OPINIONS on gaming.

farnham, you are simply upset that they don't agree with your opinions on a specific console and form your own "opinions" based around that fact. I apologize you can't enjoying gaming as a whole without certain companies cacks down your throat but unlike you, most people can. If you wan't to be a fanboy of a specific console and get hurt over certain peoples views on that subject then I suggest go listening to a podcast that caters towards people like you.

Grow up and get over it.

Y2Kev

Wiitard said:
You see, it is the DEGREE of bias that is staggering. Saying 1UP is biased against the Wii is like saying bin Laden is biased against the US - a slight understatement.

Yeah, 1up personalities picked the wii over the PS3 6-0 in EGM a few weeks back. They sure hate the Wii in the same fashion Bin Laden hates america.

Norse

What's the avg age of the hosts? They damn well better be more into halo than mario. Sorry but its not normal for adults to stand around and get all excited about Mario.

Mifune

Mehmber
chibcicylist said:
Mifune, meet Godfather Wii. Godfather Wii, meet Mifune.

Really, it's good? I haven't paid much attention to that game.

As for "party games lawl" I really don't mean it as a knock. But honestly, the only time I turn on the Wii is to play Wii Sports with the girlfriend. Or to play a GC game. But does that really count?

Green Shinobi said:
You're right about that. I should just shut up.

You have to admit that there's a lot of d*ck sucking that occurs whenever a 1up guy (or any well-known gaming personality besides Dennis Dyack) posts here.

I WANT TO BONE DAVID JAFFE

Trax416 said:
The people who work for 1up have an unbiased view of all consoles when it comes to reviewing and critiquing.

Game.com gets more talk time than the DS on EGM Live. Need I go on?

YYZ

farnham said:
they are a lot of good podcasts that are easily more entertaining then 1up yours..
More entertaining?

Ok. Thanks for not naming any of them.

The only gaming podcasts I can think of right now that are entertaining (besides 1Up) is IGN Game Scoop! which no one seems to listen to, Orange Lounge Radio (Sunday nights), Played, Gamespot's The Hotspot, and Uncle Gamer (not the most entertaining)

I would say the Video Game Show, but they're pretty much Xbox fanboys, no thanks (Gamercast Network, ugh).

Y2Kev

Grecco said:
Who says thats not happening?

Whether or not it is happening is not relevant here. We're talking specifically about why they dismissed (or rather wanted to dismiss) this particular title. My personal likes and dislikes don't factor into play.

farnham said:
sounds a lot like wii sports to me.. and many millions of people enjoyed that game.. i played more hours playing wii sports with my friends then any of those great co op online what ever games.. and no it does not get boring.. eventhough i memorized every friggin course on the golf game now..

Honestly, Wii Sports is probably the worst game to draw an analog to when discussing the "hardcore demographic." Your mileage obviously varies, but let's be realistic.

FartOfWar

Banned
farnham said:
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games dude

Its mario and sonic.. thats like a fanboys wet dream.. or am i wrong.. if you played games at the SNES and Genesis age (which was the highlight of gaming for me personally) it is really the biggest megaton that could ever happen..

Why are you throwing stones from that thumbsucker's house? I played in that era and those before it, and this is no megaton. Now if Miyamoto and Naka were getting together to for some sort of crossover masterpiece we could talk. Until then, it sounds like another potentially fun Wiimote-based minigame collection. It's this kind of shit that gives Nintendo zealots a bad name--same way the fools who think Superman-vs-Batman-vs-Alien-vs.-Predator is the illest idea ever make comic book readers look like twats.

TDG

Banned
Wiitard said:
But see, they aren't biased. They're gamers. And when there aren't new releases, then there are no new GAMES to play on the GAMES CONSOLE. They're excited about SPM, and I have no doubt that they will be singing the praise of the Wii when it's doing better game wise. They really aren't biased. They all have or want Wiis, and EGM said the Wii had a better launch then the PS3.

TheGreatDave said:
I WANT TO BONE DAVID JAFFE
Don't we all? But you have to understand, guys like Jaffe can have their pick of the fanboys. If he wanted to, he could sleep with a different fanboy every hour for the next ten years. You have to offer more than a slightly defined rear and a purty mouth if you want Jaffe to take notice.

Green Shinobi said:
Don't we all? But you have to understand, guys like Jaffe can have their pick of the fanboys. If he wanted to, he could sleep with a different fanboy every hour for the next ten years. You have to offer more than a slightly defined rear and a purty mouth if you want Jaffe to take notice.

I think you just have to say his name in the mirror three times.

farnham

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Honestly, Wii Sports is probably the worst game to draw an analog to when discussing the "hardcore demographic." Your mileage obviously varies, but let's be realistic.

i saw many people at the official wii sports thread that liked the game and many are appearantly playing the game still..

also its the most discussed game in the recent 6 month in gaf.. so it did get some attention.. meaning its popular.. even to the hardcore

Y2Kev

farnham said:
i saw many people at the official wii sports thread that liked the game and many are appearantly playing the game still..

also its the most discussed game in the recent 6 month in gaf.. so it did get some attention.. meaning its popular.. even to the hardcore

All right, I'm just not going to see eye to eye with you on this one. That's okay.

I don't understand why people listen to this podcast consistently and then make claims like, "Anyone on gaf could do a better job." Just stop listening.

FartOfWar

Banned
Mifune said:
Really, it's good? I haven't paid much attention to that game.

As for "party games lawl" I really don't mean it as a knock. But honestly, the only time I turn on the Wii is to play Wii Sports with the girlfriend. Or to play a GC game. But does that really count?

Just ignore this fool (the chibcicylist guy you're quoting). We're talking about how legitimately good "party" games are, and he has to assume that the compliment is somehow backhanded. When did GAF turn into Gamers.com forums circa 2003?

farnham

Banned
FartOfWar said:
Why are you throwing stones from that thumbsucker's house? I played in that era and those before it, and this is no megaton. Now if Miyamoto and Naka were getting together to for some sort of crossover masterpiece we could talk. Until then, it sounds like another potentially fun Wiimote-based minigame collection. It's this kind of shit that gives Nintendo zealots a bad name--same way the fools who think Superman-vs-Batman-vs-Alien-vs.-Predator is the illest idea ever make comic book readers look like twats.

when was the last time Miyamoto actually made a Mario game.. Mario 64

when was the last time Naka made a sonic game.. Sonic Adventure

when was the last good mario game.. New super mario bros...
when was the last good sonic game.. Sonic Secret of the Rings.. or Sonic rush

both not made by naka or miyamoto..

miyamoto is actually involved

So you think that buying minigames is bad.. can you verify this opinion a little bit more.. isnt playing games for enjoyment.. if i like minigames (which i actually do.. i really enjoyed Wario ware.. i never bought mario party though) why should i be blamed for that..

what make minigames so much worse then a shooter..?

skip

Saying 1UP is biased against the Wii is like saying bin Laden is biased against the US

Saying 1UP is biased against the Wii is like saying bin Laden is biased against the US

from a couple days ago, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5938892&postcount=4

Bildi said:
When the entire EGM building got blown up in April 2007. That was great!

yeah.

you guys can do our job better than we can. for sure.

Wiitard

Banned
But see, they aren't biased. They're gamers. And when there aren't new releases, then there are no new GAMES to play on the GAMES CONSOLE. They're excited about SPM, and I have no doubt that they will be singing the praise of the Wii when it's doing better game wise. They really aren't biased. They all have or want Wiis, and EGM said the Wii had a better launch then the PS3.

Yes they do discuss Wii games when they have to. But they don't talk only about stuff about to be released, come on. Look, I would not be upset about it at all, if they said all the things they say, but then put a little footnote - yes, we are not excited about this game, but we thing it's going to be important (or not). Right now, Luke's statement about M&S Olympics makes him look like a complete idiot. And this is not just a service to the people who are into Wii. I think giving misleading predictions (or statements which can very easily be misinterpreted as such) about future successes of consoles is not doing anybody any favors.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I don't understand why people listen to this podcast consistently and then make claims like, "Anyone on gaf could do a better job." Just stop listening.
I wasn't talking about the podcast so much as gaming journalism in general.

There is no doubt in my mind that the entire staff of gamepro.com could be replaced by NeoGAF posters, and the quality of the site would improve by leaps and bounds.

I agree that the podcasts are entertaining.

TDG

Banned
Wiitard said:
Yes they do discuss Wii games when they have to. But they don't talk only about stuff about to be released, come on. Look, I would not be upset about it at all, if they said all the things they say, but then put a little footnote - yes, we are not excited about this game, but we thing it's going to be important (or not). Right now, Luke's statement about M&S Olympics makes him look like a complete idiot. And this is not just a service to the people who are into Wii. I think giving misleading predictions (or statements which can very easily be misinterpreted as such) about future successes of consoles is not doing anybody any favors.
No offense to you, but if you don't want to hear people with strong opinions about things (because they have to spread the love and hate-WHICH THEY DO), you should probably take up reading GamePro.
EDIT: Jesus, two mentions of GamePro in the same thread. What is GAF coming to?

Is this already so long already because of Wii defense force bias allegations again? Snore.....we get it, 1up doesn't love the Wii like you.

FartOfWar

Banned
farnham said:

when was the last time Miyamoto actually made a Mario game.. Mario 64

when was the last time Naka made a sonic game.. Sonic Adventure

when was the last good mario game.. New super mario bros...
when was the last good sonic game.. Sonic Secret of the Rings.. or Sonic rush

both not made by naka or miyamoto..

miyamoto is actually involved

So you think that buying minigames is bad.. can you verify this opinion a little bit more.. isnt playing games for enjoyment.. if i like minigames (which i actually do.. i really enjoyed Wario ware.. i never bought mario party though) why should i be blamed for that..

what make minigames so much worse then a shooter..?

If you were reading my posts in this thread you'd note that I think micro, mini, ultra-accessible, whatever kind of games are good. With the comics analogy I meant to underscore the silliness of assuming that two things you've liked separately are automatically magic together, regardless of context. (I also wanted to highlight the money-printing motivation.)

Now, as much as I like minigames, and as eager as I am to buy a Wii when some store wants to sell me one without making me wait outside for it at 6am, that's not to say that I think an Olympics game with Sonic and Mario in it calls for crapping in your pants. Fun? Likely so? History making, monumental, megaton? Post some more about that so I have a Hero of the Web to read next week.

Wiitard

Banned
No offense to you, but if you don't want to hear people with strong opinions about things (because they have to spread the love and hate-WHICH THEY DO), you should probably take up reading GamePro.
EDIT: Jesus, two mentions of GamePro in the same thread. What is GAF coming to?

I think them being entertaining is fine. Having strong opinions is fine. But I do feel they should make some kind of effort not to be misleading. Maybe it's asking too much.

farnham said:
oh sorry but that does not look like Dream cast at all..

dcjsr_2m.jpg

this looks like dreamcast

I don't feel all that passionately on the issue to be honest. To me, it looks nothing above Dreamcast/mid Gamecube. I have no problem with the game or anything, but it's hardly a SLAM to say it looks like a Dreamcast game with nice effects

TDG

Banned
Wiitard said:
I think them being entertaining is fine. Having strong opinions is fine. But I do feel they should make some kind of effort not to be misleading. Maybe it's asking too much.
Well, elaborate. What exactly do you think is so misleading?

farnham

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I don't feel all that passionately on the issue to be honest. To me, it looks nothing above Dreamcast/mid Gamecube. I have no problem with the game or anything, but it's hardly a SLAM to say it looks like a Dreamcast game with nice effects

03.jpg

sure

FartOfWar said:
Now, as much as I like minigames, and as eager as I am to buy a Wii when some store wants to sell me one without making me wait outside for it at 6am, that's not to say that I think an Olympics game with Sonic and Mario in it calls for crapping in your pants. .

I'm pretty much in agreement. Honestly, I imagine the DS version is gonna be total shit, but the Wii version could be a really fun game, for what it is. When you know nothing about it, you can't be excited because of the IP.

farnham said:

Cool!

Wiitard

Banned
skip said:
from a couple days ago, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5938892&postcount=4

yeah.

you guys can do our job better than we can. for sure.

Do you think you might have added that the title of the thread was "Favorite EGM April Fools joke?" just to provide a little context... I guess not.

Well, elaborate. What exactly do you think is so misleading?

"M&S is ridiculous. Ha-ha-ha. For idiots." - not quite cool

"M&S is ridiculous. Ha-ha-ha. For idiots. However we believe that it will sell a lot and certainly help Wii's momentum" - cool

or

"M&S is ridiculous. Ha-ha-ha. For idiots. We know a lot of people think this might be a success and a system-seller, but here is why we think they are wrong: " - cool

skip

Wiitard said:
Do you think you might have added that the title of the thread was "Favorite EGM April Fools joke?" just to provide a little context... I guess not.

oh, it was a joke? sweet.

I guess I missed the punchline. was it me, all of my friends, and hundreds of people not even associated with videogames being murdered? hahah, what a great gag.

YYZ

Wiitard said:
I have a PS3 but I don't let it bother me too much when podcasts constantly make jokes about it.

Why let this Wii stuff bother you? Wii is riding a wave of success and popularity right now. I only mind if the podcasters are fanboys and the 1Up crew plays all games.

Wiitard

Banned
skip said:
oh, it was a joke? sweet.

I guess I missed the punchline. was it me, all of my friends, and hundreds of people not even associated with videogames being murdered? hahah, what a great gag.

Oh, I agree it would be totally legitimate for you to make this point. I can see how you can feel this to be insensitive despite the thread it was in.

BUT YOU STILL SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THE NAME OF THE THREAD and then made whatever commentary you wanted to make. Yes, I do feel not doing so was misleading to other reader of the thread.

farnham

Banned
FartOfWar said:
If you were reading my posts in this thread you'd note that I think micro, mini, ultra-accessible, whatever kind of games are good. With the comics analogy I meant to underscore the silliness of assuming that two things you've liked separately are automatically magic together, regardless of context. (I also wanted to highlight the money-printing motivation.)

Now, as much as I like minigames, and as eager as I am to buy a Wii when some store wants to sell me one without making me wait outside for it at 6am, that's not to say that I think an Olympics game with Sonic and Mario in it calls for crapping in your pants. Fun? Likely so? History making, monumental, megaton? Post some more about that so I have a Hero of the Web to read next week.
it depends on what occasion and how it is handled..

for example.. Super smash bros is awesome.. Capcom Vs. Marvel is awesome..

many other games that tried it failed..

The reason why Sonic and Mario in one game is so big , in my opinion is.. that mario and sonic both are very strong IPs on their own.. (well sonic went downhill quite a lot.. but still on nintendo hardware its selling strongly)

both IPs were successful ICONs for each companies (Sega and Nintendo) often they were platform defining games (super mario bros for NES, Mario 64 for SNES and Sonic for Genesis arguably Sonic Adventure for DC) and they do represent a rivalry not only of the characters or IP itself but of both companies..

Why is it history making..? because it could mark a new era for both companies.. Sega stopped making hardware and made games for other platforms.. last gen there was virtually no sega game on GC that was not a DC port.. Billy hatcher and Fzero GX comes into mind..

yet the best selling games were clearly on GC.. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 .. Sonic mega collection.. super monkey ball (oh thats a new IP for last gen.. my bad).. those games sold very very well.. still Sega did not care much about GC.. while they shipped games after games on the other platforms.. (which sold crappy)

there was a interview with the Sega ceo a few days ago.. which basically said that they will focus on DS and the Wii from now on.. and i think this is the start of this new strategy of sega..(oshare sold 1 million on DS.. Sonic rush still seems to be selling in europe.. sangokushi card battle DS sold pretty well)

which i think will work well and as Sega does make more money their games will get back to their former quality..

Top Bottom