• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours (3/30/07)

skip said:
oh, it was a joke? sweet.

I guess I missed the punchline. was it me, all of my friends, and hundreds of people not even associated with videogames being murdered? hahah, what a great gag.

Nobody said the building had people in it during it's colapse. Come on now. Maybe the punchline was you all showing up for work and not being able to find the building.

YYZ

I thought that shit about EGM blowing up was an actual April Fools gag, yea that was stupid of me since it didn't sound like it would be funny at all. That's where you cross the line.

I remember reading some Nintendo fanboy on another message board saying that someone should bomb the Sony building after Lik-Sang went down. Way to completely fail at life.

FartOfWar said:
Now, as much as I like minigames, and as eager as I am to buy a Wii when some store wants to sell me one without making me wait outside for it at 6am, that's not to say that I think an Olympics game with Sonic and Mario in it calls for crapping in your pants. Fun? Likely so? History making, monumental, megaton? Post some more about that so I have a Hero of the Web to read next week.
Follow this man's advice.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Yes, odds are they will continue to cater to the hardcore demographic. So can we not have this discussion again this week?

Shawn, you rock, man. I was in the gym using the Hack Squat machine and I nearly killed myself after I almost doubled over laughing when you were talking about Sonic marriages. Now this with the motion sensing dot thing:lol

Oh yeah, about the latest GFW podcast episode...I forgot to mention it in the original thread...but it was honestly one of the most entertaining podcasts I've ever heard (and I listen to a lot of podcasts). I kept laughing, a good, healthy laugh, especially towards the end with all those arcade memories. And what makes it so good is that the jokes don't stray into the "penis lawl" area, and it's very genuine - it really is like listening to friends talking. Shawn gets mentioned many times as the funny guy on GFW (and rightfully so), but I find Jeff Green hilarious as well, with his down-to-earth, humble style. :lol

Sorry for going off-topic. Time for 1up Yours. :D

Wiitard

Banned
skip said:

I guess I missed the punchline. was it me, all of my friends, and hundreds of people not even associated with videogames being murdered? hahah, what a great gag.

Oh, I agree it would be totally legitimate for you to make this point. I can see how you can feel this to be insensitive despite the thread it was in.

BUT YOU STILL SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THE NAME OF THE THREAD and then made whatever commentary you wanted to make. Yes, I do feel not doing so was misleading to other reader of the thread.

YYZ said:
I have a PS3 but I don't let it bother me too much when podcasts constantly make jokes about it.

Why let this Wii stuff bother you? Wii is riding a wave of success and popularity right now. I only mind if the podcasters are fanboys and the 1Up crew plays all games.

I agree with you. It does not really bother me except for the fact that the podcast is a source of legitimate news or hints on future legitimate news. I would like to be able to tell predictions and legitimate scoops from editorializing.

skip

Wiitard said:
Oh, I agree it would be totally legitimate for you to make this point. I can see how you can feel this to be insensitive despite the thread it was in.

BUT YOU STILL SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THE NAME OF THE THREAD and then made whatever commentary you wanted to make. Yes, I do feel not doing so was misleading to other reader of the thread.

the point was to illustrate how ****ing off the deep end you people are.

skip said:
Dude, go check out the GXD section of TeamXbox or the NBA section of the ESPN.com message boards if you want to see posters who are really off the deep end.

GAF is one of the most civilized boards I've ever seen. It's no dodgers.com, but it's miles ahead of most other forums.

YYZ

farnham said:
The reason why Sonic and Mario in one game is so big , in my opinion is.. that mario and sonic both are very strong IPs on their own.. (well sonic went downhill quite a lot.. but still on nintendo hardware its selling strongly)

Why is it history making..? because it could mark a new era for both companies.. Sega stopped making hardware and made games for other platforms.. last gen there was virtually no sega game on GC that was not a DC port.. Billy hatcher and Fzero GX comes into mind..

yet the best selling games were clearly on GC.. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 .. Sonic mega collection.. super monkey ball (oh thats a new IP for last gen.. my bad).. those games sold very very well.. still Sega did not care much about GC.. while they shipped games after games on the other platforms.. (which sold crappy)

which i think will work well and as Sega does make more money their games will get back to their former quality..
LOL. Do you see the problem here?

You said Sonic IP has gone way downhill recently, yet it still sells great on Nintendo platforms and crappy on everything else. Now Sega is making even more stuff for Nintendo platforms which will still sell well. Any reason for them to change the formula and actually start trying to make GOOD Sonic games? I wouldn't care if they cut out 360 and PS3 Sonic games, who would really care?

Wiitard

Banned
skip said:

Well, you had a pretty good point actually. The delivery in this case really hurt it, though. And does tie with my other concerns - I do not want you guys to treat all consoles "fairly" whatever it means. I just do not somebody being misinformed about what is going on in the industry by listening to the podcast.

farnham

Banned
YYZ said:
LOL. Do you see the problem here?

You said Sonic IP has gone way downhill recently, yet it still sells great on Nintendo platforms and crappy on everything else. Now Sega is making even more stuff for Nintendo platforms which will still sell well. Any reason for them to change the formula and actually start trying to make GOOD Sonic games? I wouldn't care if they cut out 360 and PS3 Sonic games, who would really care?
sonic and the secret rings was a good game appearantly.. and sonic rush was nothing short to awesome..

skip

Wiitard said:
I just do not somebody being misinformed about what is going on in the industry by listening to the podcast.

and you did this by comparing us to osama bin laden.

Hunahan

Banned
It was a really tight race for quote of the week, but I've gotta give the nod to "Singstar: Instanbul Edition" from Mark.

"They would wreck your shit with math" from Shawn picks up a close runner-up, however.

Photo finish, guys. Well played. :lol

deadbeef

I'm just one guy, and the podcast is GREAT as is, but Shawn Elliot needs to be on every episode.

Or maybe a GFW guy could show up at least once per month to give the PC side of things some attention.

farnham said:
The reason why Sonic and Mario in one game is so big , in my opinion is.. that mario and sonic both are very strong IPs on their own.. (well sonic went downhill quite a lot.. but still on nintendo hardware its selling strongly)

both IPs were successful ICONs for each companies (Sega and Nintendo) often they were platform defining games (super mario bros for NES, Mario 64 for SNES and Sonic for Genesis arguably Sonic Adventure for DC) and they do represent a rivalry not only of the characters or IP itself but of both companies..

Why is it history making..? because it could mark a new era for both companies.. Sega stopped making hardware and made games for other platforms.. last gen there was virtually no sega game on GC that was not a DC port.. Billy hatcher and Fzero GX comes into mind..

And because it's easy to imagine just how cool a Sonic-Mario cross-over could be. The two are completely different in terms of gameplay, but the world that could be created has amazing potential. I would imagine it would be a third universe that is not related to either Sonic or Mario which becomes populated by characters from both franchises via a portal of some kind. All new villains for the characters to fight, both Mario and Sonic brand platforming, hopefully a decent camera. . . what wouldn't be to love?

YYZ

I didn't hear any Wii bias in the podcast. They were making fun of Nintendo fanboys which is actually funny. The comment about the motion sensing dot on the head, that's f***ing true and you know it. Imagine if Nintendo did for Metroid Prime, "ZOMG TEH INNOVATIVES!!!1!!1"

They made fun of Mario and Sonic Olympics and rightfully so because it's just using the mascots to pick the pockets of kids and parents everywhere when 2008 Beijing comes around. Why even mention that Miyamoto is involved? To give it credibility?

rage1973

Another good show but it seems to be a slow show compared to last two weeks with NPD and DMC megaton. I hope Shane and Garnett comes back with some Japanese school girl pics.

YYZ said:
They made fun of Mario and Sonic Olympics and rightfully so because it's just using the mascots to pick the pockets of kids and parents everywhere when 2008 Beijing comes around. Why even mention that Miyamoto is involved? To give it credibility?

Oh God.

skip said:
Hyperbole for the loss?

He wasn't comparing you to Bin Laden in terms of disregard for human life. He was saying that the "hatred" for the Wii that is sometimes evident on the 1up podcast, even if it is in jest some of the time, seems akin to Bin Laden's hatred for the United States.

I'm sure a journalist understands hyperbole better than most.

Wiitard

Banned
skip said:

Well, if you carefully read my post the comparison was:

1) Twice removed: I was not comparing 1Up and Osama, or even 1Up's bias and Osama's, but the statements about the bias. I thought this sanitized the comment enough.

2) Was rather obviously a rethorical point.

However, if you were offended by the comment I sincerely want to offer my apologies.

farnham

Banned
YYZ said:
I didn't hear any Wii bias in the podcast. They were making fun of Nintendo fanboys which is actually funny. The comment about the motion sensing dot on the head, that's f***ing true and you know it. Imagine if Nintendo did for Metroid Prime, "ZOMG TEH INNOVATIVES!!!1!!1"

oh cmon.. what makes xbox fanboys or PS fanboys better..
they get excited over games like killzone or brute force too....

and about miyamoto.. well i do think he made some good games occasionally.. i cant list em.. but im pretty sure he did make some good games..

skip

Green Shinobi said:
Hyperbole for the loss?

He wasn't comparing you to Bin Laden in terms of disregard for human life. He was saying that the "hatred" for the Wii that is sometimes evident on the 1up podcast, even if it is in jest some of the time, seems akin to Bin Laden's hatred for the United States.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH I GET IT NOW.

thanks for clearing that up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mrbob said:
<3 Nintendo fans

Watch next week's thread get shitted up too. I liked it over the summer before anyone discovered that they "hated wii" and we had fun in the 1up threads. :D

skip said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH I GET IT NOW.

thanks for clearing that up.
Then why did you act all butt-hurt about the comparison like you had just taken a pounding courtesy of bishoptl?

Emos for the loss.

farnham

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Watch next week's thread get shitted up too. I liked it over the summer before anyone discovered that they "hated wii" and we had fun in the 1up threads. :D
okay so we should have a restriction.. Nintendo fans should not be allowed to post in 1up threads since they will go crazy and make stupid comments that ruin the whole thread.. they should be censored for good..

Only then people will be able to enjoy nice discussions how awesome luke smith and how sexy shane is.. and how great it is to have the freedom to talk about such things..:)

Mrbob

Y2Kevbug11 said:

Hahahaha.

Maybe they haven't figured out yet that we don't give a shit if Grandma is playing bowling, or some of us have grown out of the SNES/Genesis days and could care less if Mario and Sonic are starring together in an olympic game, or despite the success of the Wii it isn't going to transplant the game industry the way Playstation did over 10 years ago.

Wiitard

Banned
Mrbob said:
Hahahaha.

Maybe they haven't figured out yet that we don't give a shit if Grandma is playing bowling, and despite the success of the Wii it isn't going to transplant the game industry the way Playstation did over 10 years ago.

? where did PS1 transplanted the industry to? A bigger pot?

skip

Green Shinobi said:
Then why did you act all butt-hurt about the comparison like you had just taken a pounding courtesy of bishoptl?

goddamn, if only he were really here right now.

farnham

Banned
_leech_ said:
Another 1Up thread turns to shit because four guys on a podcast don't spend the entire time giving verbal blowjobs to Nintendo. Yay.
not talking about nintendo at all would ease the whole situation.. you can do it guys!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
farnham said:
okay so we should have a restriction.. Nintendo fans should not be allowed to post in 1up threads since they will go crazy and make stupid comments that ruin the whole thread.. they should be censored for good..

Only then people will be able to enjoy nice discussions how awesome luke smith and how sexy shane is.. and how great it is to have the freedom to talk about such things..:)

It's got nothing to do with Nintendo fans; it has everything to do with people targeting "perceived biases" in the personalities that run the program.

People did the same thing with Shane a few months ago. Every single thread would shoot up to six pages because Shane is "teh bias" and I'm glad it died off. Now we're in a new phase of they "hate Wii."

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Again, this weeks podcast was fine IMO.

Still say last week was ridiculous- its one thing to hate the games, but to completely deny that the Wii is going to be a success is what riled me up.

krypt0nian said:
Hell yes. They go bonkers and then I laugh.

My point is they do it every week regardless. Well, Luke at least.

I think people always take it way too seriously anyway. I always read these threads before I listen to the show, expect Nintendo hating, and just get like...2 lines from Luke in an hour and a half.

Although Luke seems completely clueless about Wii's potential success, which is bizzare seeing as industry discusion is supposed to be his favourite thing to talk about EVER

Mifune said:
Really, it's good? I haven't paid much attention to that game.

As for "party games lawl" I really don't mean it as a knock. But honestly, the only time I turn on the Wii is to play Wii Sports with the girlfriend. Or to play a GC game. But does that really count?

Rent it, at least and try it out.

mrbob said:
Nintendo fans <3
Sony fans should be paying attention on how to grasp at straws. Nintendo fans who grew up in the 64/gc era are valuable mentors.

skip said:

Didn't you just laugh at an AIDS joke in this episode?

skip said:
goddamn, if only he were really here right now.
So I could get teh banned, right?

I apologize for insinuating that random NeoGAF posters could make a better podcast than 1up. That wasn't exactly what I meant, but I realize that's how it came out. It was a comment that I didn't think through at the time.

My comment that NeoGAF posters could easily replace the staff of Gamepro with no loss of quality stands though.

Wiitard

Banned
schuelma said:
Again, this weeks podcast was fine IMO.

Still say last week was ridiculous- its one thing to hate the games, but to completely deny that the Wii is going to be a success is what riled me up.

I actually think if they spell it out black on white, it's fine - let them stick their neck out, make predictions and be proven right or wrong. What is not fine is doing it less then clear the way they usually proceed in the podcast.

Top Bottom