• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

Just woke up after like a 2 hour night of sleep, these winds tho.....sounds like ghosts in my back yard. I dont even know where the eye is at yet. Aguadilla here btw.

Yeah that landfall location and the current satellite looks horrifying for the whole of PR. One can only hope its better than it looks.
avn0-lalo.gif

evil ways

Puerto Rico radar knocked out? My various feeds are now showing blank.

It was blown off indeed. On FB and tw they are also reporting 3 of the local major tv stations also lost their antennas/towers. The general police department in Hato Rey has lost a bunch of windows and a chunck of its building, cement structure.

I was only able to peek outside for a few seconds and theres debris everywhere.

okno

Fuck. A friend of mine just loved to San Juan on the 13th :( I have no way of getting in touch with him now (doesn't help that I'm in Paris and dependent on wifi wherever I am). Hoping PR pulls through this okay, but honestly not keeping my hopes up too much...

Vestal

Gold Member
Got a message from my little sister about 2hrs ago. She is in San Patricio(Basically San Juan) and she is hunkered down in the bathroom with her daughter and hubby. She basically said it sounds like hell outside, never heard anything quiet like it and it doesn't stop. Haven't heard from them since since telecoms apparently are almost 100% down..

Have too much family down there, the feeling of helplessness along with the anxiety I feel right now is fucking insane.

There are a couple of live periscope feeds still coming out and it seems obviously scary but doesnt look as destructive as some of the feeds I saw of Irma. Hopefully everyone is ok

Namikaze1

My grandparents are in PR and my father and I haven't been able to get in contact with them. They have a pretty solid house. I should know since that's where we went to during Hurricane Georges in 98. Still worrisome since they're not as young as they used to be and don't have us around for help.

idk if my puerto rican friends on fb are okay. a few live in mayaguez. some in san juan. trying to find a way to contact them to see if the are okay.

idk if my puerto rican friends on fb are okay. a few live in mayaguez. some in san juan. trying to find a way to contact them to see if the are okay.

The hurricane is right on top of them right now, communications are going to be minimal or nonexistent for several hours probably still.

Adama

I'm in Bayamon, winds are still strong, lots of rain. if I look outside my window I can see 4-5 big trees on the ground, I'm afraid electric power will be off for quite awhile.

Griss

The GOES satellite view is showing the center emerging off the northern coast now and it looks like a cleared eye will quickly emerge.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso1-13-200-0-100

So the eye has cleared PR? That means the 2pm update will probably tell the tale as far as we in the TCI are concerned. Currently forecast to pass 90 miles to the east and I'm not sure exactly what conditions that would entail, just that it wouldn't be hurricane force conditions for sure.

Etzer

Haven’t been able to get in touch with most of my family in PR, but the few pictures I’ve seen on social media of my hometown (Ciales) don’t look good.

I used to eat at that restaurant in the last picture all the time as a kid.

Vestal

Gold Member
Haven’t been able to get in touch with most of my family in PR, but the few pictures I’ve seen on social media of my hometown (Ciales) don’t look good.

I used to eat at that restaurant in the last picture all the time as a kid.

Yeah the images coming out are heart breaking. Saw an image from Guaynabo with about 4.5 feet of water in the middle of the street people trying to go through it to get to safety.

Kusagari

The complete power loss isn't particularly surprising with how shit the power infrastructure is in PR to begin with.

Hopefully they use this situation to bring the power grid into the modern age.

MaulerX

The complete power loss isn't particularly surprising with how shit the power infrastructure is in PR to begin with.

Hopefully they use this situation to bring the power grid into the modern age.

Complete power loss shouldn't be a surprise considering Irma almost did the same thing to the entire State of Florida. Only difference is that this is going to take much longer to bring back up.

Top Bottom