• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cardi B- Bodak Yellow now the #1 Song in America (Billboard Hot 100)

If you think videogames have the same cultural reach as the fucking No1 song on the billboard I've got a story to tell you. I'm an adult, too.

Whatever, you people like this shit, you do you, but then don't come posing as outraged people when intolerance acts are committed on the news or somebody calls you a "sad bitch" on the streets, I mean, it's normal now, so suck it, I guess.

Lmao this nerd.

B.O.O.M

I don't get some of these new popular rap songs....I must be getting old or something.

But good for her. Good to see people succeed

If you think videogames have the same cultural reach as the fucking No1 song on the billboard I've got a story to tell you. I'm an adult, too.

Whatever, you people like this shit, you do you, but then don't come posing as outraged people when intolerance acts are committed on the news or somebody calls you a "sad bitch" on the streets, I mean, it's normal now, so suck it, I guess.

Why can't entertainment just be entertainment? You can relish in vulgar shit without being a rude or bad person.

krazen

Im a guy. But thanks boo.

We got a stripper defense force? No, I don't care about what dumb people have to say. Sideshow. How is she different from Iggy?

Its just sex work shaming; they provide a service to the men who pay for it...but for some reason they (not the men) are the badguys.

On top of the fact there are plenty of ex-drug dealer redemption stories in hip-hop but we draw the line at stripper?

Last time I checked, Cardi B didn't help jump start an far right movement catered to shut-ins who blamed women for their inability to get women, this same movement who decided to dox a woman because she dare infringed on their precious past time.

But yea, you being called sad bitch was the real problem.

I was getting it in my suggestions and for some reason I thought it was by Kodak black. Listened to it and yep, it's a banger. And now I can't stop listening to it.

You're not far off the mark fam. She called is "Bodak Yellow" because she used Kodak's flow (and part of the beat) from No Flocking, the Yellow comes from her being lightskin, the B in bodak is...well yea.

blakep267

Remember "My Neck, My Back"? You know how much of a club banger that song is to this day? You know how everybody's ass drops straight to the floor when that song comes on?

This is that type of music. This was made for the club with a message of feminist empowerment sprinkled in.

Baby, you didn't listen to more than one line in this song. The song itself isn't even violent. It's aggressive, but not violent.
But there's club bangers that are garbage but at least sound good. Knuck if you buck, rack city etc. I can understand those. I can even understand my neck my back. I can't understand this

Lil B doesn't make club bangers.
I know that. I was using him as an example of a joke artist

HiiiLife

It's early Eminem days all over again.

But there's club bangers that are garbage but at least sound good. Knuck if you buck, rack city etc. I can understand those. I can even understand my neck my back. I can't understand this

I know that. I was using him as an example of a joke artist

It's more of a subtle banger. The bass isn't in your face, more often not visible, but it's got that "I'm a bad bitch" rhythm vibes with that snare and hypnotic ringing in the background.

That's as best as I can describe it.

The amount of edginess here is reaching Leto Joker levels.

I guess you could say this song really D A M A G E D you.

giphy.gif

I... don't even know how to respond to this.

Did you freak out like this when Eminem got big? Or Pac? Or NWA? I bet the rise of nu-metal must have really sent you in a tizzy.

I assume the very thought of the millions of children playing GTA and CoD keeps you up all night weeping for the future of society.

Nepenthe

The irony of people on a fucking video game forum clutching pearls over the social ramifications a rap song with dirty lyrics is never lost on me.

Didn't expect this to be #1 however, even as much as I listen to it, but I'm not complaining, especially if it means Taylor isn't at the top. Go Cardi B!

GhaleonEB

Well, I listened to the whole thing. My opinion of popular music somehow got worse. I didn't think that was possible.

I feel like going outside and yelling at some clouds now.

Its just sex work shaming; they provide a service to the men who pay for it...but for some reason they (not the men) are the badguys.

On top of the fact there are plenty of ex-drug dealer redemption stories in hip-hop but we draw the line at stripper?

It's a bit of a dichotomy to call it shaming and in the next breath equate it to a "redemption story". That means you needed to redeem yourself from something. I don't begrudge a stripper but lets not say "she's got a message" like she's Joan of Arc.

Ristifer

Song sucks ass. But if it has the power to knock off Taylor's fake ass attempts at songwriting, then I'll give it my blessing.

mikeGFG

Banned
- Plays song on youtube
- First 10 seconds: "Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me, If you wanted to "
- Closes tab forever

The fuck? Is this mainstream music these days? That's fucking dusgusting.

Did anyone else read this post in the Dave Chappelle white man voice?

hoos30

Jesus. Congrats, I guess.

I will redouble my efforts to indoctrinate my daughter and her friends into 80s and 90s Hip-Hop.

Last week's lesson: Boogie Down Productions

Not

Banned
Strippers singing now. Whatever.

This is really misogynist. Unintentionally so, but yeah.

No empathy for women whatsoever the picosecond they start dancing to express their sexuality or get men off, to the point where even if they become incredibly successful afterward they get written off.

"Here, fine, please me sexually, but you're not a real human being anymore."

burgervan

Hip hop needs to move on from these tired ass trap beats. This sounds like 200 other songs from this year alone. What even sets this song apart from any of them?

krazen

It's a bit of a dichotomy to call it shaming and in the next breath equate it to a "redemption story". That means you needed to redeem yourself from something. I don't begrudge a stripper but lets not say "she's got a message" like she's Joan of Arc.

Im more speaking of the tone of the convo; personally I am cool with both the demonized drug dealer and stripper...they exist because they provide a service to a public that hates them for it.

And she does have a message; even in the ‘ehh, stripper?’ tone of the convo she was someone very forthcoming on the work she had did and how unglamourous the life is, etc. There’s something refreshing about being frank about the warts in two things that seem glamorized...strippers as a trope in hip hop and our nationwide infatuation with reality tv show stars.

While its easy to go, “Well, she’s not curing cancer” its a disservice...not many of us are, lol. But bringing it back to your Iggy example who’s been disrespectful to the culture, argumentative, and an all around PR example of how to come off as obnoxious at least as of now Cardi’s worked her brand where being gracious, funny, and personable is a path to success (because lord knows there’s hella trap songs that ain’t hitting #1). And its a good thing even if the rest (braggadocious mediocre trap song, sorid past) is cliche’d

PixelatedBookake

It's not the words, it's the message. I don't think you'd be calm and collected if your daughter came home saying how that sad bitch Cindy is not fucking with her anymore at her school.

Maybe Cindy IS a sad bitch who isn't fucking with her anymore? Lets not sugarcoat this shit.

MIMIC

Banned
Me hearing it on the radio: "This is catchy"
Me seeing the video: "wat"

Not gonna lie: first time I heard it, I thought it was Young M.A. I had no idea who Cardi B was until this song.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
- Plays song on youtube
- First 10 seconds: "Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me, If you wanted to "
- Closes tab forever

The fuck? Is this mainstream music these days? That's fucking dusgusting.

It's not disgusting.

It's braindead.

I feel like I need my IQ dropped a couple dozen points in order to like some of the shit that's popular nowadays.

Thank god for Spotify I guess.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
It's early Eminem days all over again.

giphy.gif

I... don't even know how to respond to this.

Did you freak out like this when Eminem got big? Or Pac? Or NWA? I bet the rise of nu-metal must have really sent you in a tizzy.

I assume the very thought of the millions of children playing GTA and CoD keeps you up all night weeping for the future of society.

Except the world has changed since Eminem and NWA rose to popularity.

They already made their point, and more eloquently at that. Now ironically their material is "edgy", yet it's being used to excuse the existence of this fucking trash.

Top Bottom