• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Assault Thread: Get Cross, taste Salt (SFxT Reality Show)

Chavelo

EDIT: DAMN, AnEternalEnigma also beat me to it. :p

IT HAS BEGUN.

FGC x Internet Media

FIGHT!

At least Giant Bomb's article is written a lot better than Sterling's... But Sterling gave us a shout-out... Hmmm /confused

alstein

If the stuff is true about her not willing to learn from Valle is true, then I lose sympathy for her as a serious player, but that still doesn't excuse the treatment she got. The two issues are separate.

That said, I'd probably get frustrated trying to learn from Valle myself, as I know what he'd tell me to work on is the area of the game I find extremely difficult.

A lot of the journalists behind this were on Twitter yesterday- and many of them love fighting games but have a very low opinion of the community, so not surprised at the articles coming out.

Well, that article is not as bad as expected.. Doubt there will be any fall out from it, its pretty meh..

Edit: the Sterling one anyway...

notworksafe

EDIT: DAMN, AnEternalEnigma also beat me to it. :p

IT HAS BEGUN.

FGC x Internet Media

FIGHT!

Writers who don't know shit vs Stream monstering idiots who don't know shit.

Should be great.

At least Giant Bomb's article is written a lot better than Sterling's... But Sterling gave us a shout-out... Hmmm /confused

Fuck Sterling. Always. Dude will turn any minor piece of garbage into link bait. He even admits in his own article that there is no story.

brian

"Super Yan has since stated that the issue was cleared up and that she's finished with it, but the debate over what is acceptable banter and what isn't marches on. "

So basically there is no story here. Thanks for wasting my time, Jim Sterling. Also, trawling twitter posts for quotes is not good journalism.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Patrick's article is a lot more coherent and gives a pretty clear picture albeit from a bit of an outsider's perspective, Sterling's does not.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I'm not one to go straight to "conspiracy theory, tin foil hat" mode, but it is interesting that after Jared posts that he wants to "sanitize the FGC", 2 sites that he has connections to post articles about a situation in the FGC that is seen in a negative light.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
Arturo, why are you the only one who interacted with Ono the other day? I'd totally take him on 1v1 and shoot the shit about fighting games.

Dude is clearly made of pure #swag. Was awkward when he came in in that Blanka outfit and no one was laughing or acknowledging the poor guy. I'm sure he knit it by himself. :(

I had 5-10 minutes with him tops. I have a new found respect for the guy Ono is the man. I tried to say as much as i could but I didn't wanna overwhelm him too much. He's there for meetings at capcom. Really nice to talk to svenson about pc brief as it was too

I had 5-10 minutes with him tops. I have a new found respect for the guy Ono is the man. I tried to say as much as i could but I didn't wanna overwhelm him too much. He's there for meetings at capcom. Really nice to talk to svenson about pc brief as it was too

bah, super jelly. All I have is a picture with him and a SFIV poster signed by the man himself. :(

SamVimes

Sven seems like the only guy who likes PC in Capcom. Did you ask him what's up with almost 3 months of delay for a patch that a community member (Yeb) made even before it came out on console?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
The comment sections on those articles are going to be a nightmare, if people don't know the FGC and the first thing they read about it is this, it's not going to leave a great impression.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Don't take this like I'm defending Aris or anything, but something that both those articles fail to point out is that Aris isn't saying that sexual harassment is a part of the community per se, as much as he's saying that the raw, politically uncorrect, uncensored, not-give-a-fuck attitude is.

Don't take this like I'm defending Aris or anything, but something that both those articles fail to point out is that Aris isn't saying that sexual harassment is a part of the community per se, as much as he's saying that the raw, politically uncorrect, uncensored, not-give-a-fuck attitude is.

Yea, Aris didn't exactly word it very well.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm not one to go straight to "conspiracy theory, tin foil hat" mode, but it is interesting that after Jared posts that he wants to "sanitize the FGC", 2 sites that he has connections to post articles about a situation in the FGC that is seen in a negative light.

Unless the quotes from people saying that "rape that bitch" is acceptable are complete lies it doesn't matter if they are posted on the blog of Jared's mom/gf/brother etc.

Fucking disgusting.

h3ro

As much as I enjoy Whiskey Media's content, I feel like the piece is really one-sided. Jared is often their go-to guy for all things fighting games so it's not that surprising that he's mentioned repeatedly. Gerstmann always references him in regards to "serious SF players", etc.

I know Aris didn't comment, so Klepek can always point to not being able to reach anyone, but why not Valle, Max or Markman, three other OGs of the FGC that are completely involved with CA?

Props to Sterling (how rare is that?!) for actually acknowledging that there was such a strong response against Aris' feelings and that he did, indeed, represent a very small, vocal minority.

Whatever, there will be a few misguided podcasts done by writers with zero connection or interest in the FGC and some upcoming rebuttal articles posted and in a month, we'll all be arguing over some broken mechanic or character found in this game and not all this nonsense.

notworksafe

And he's right. I wouldn't want the FGC any other way. Also there are SC2 players who refer to a heavy beatdown as a "raping". Sorry to ruin your perfect image of the SC2 scene Jared.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Investigative journalism.

Next up of Patrick's pulitzer prize winning articles : Halo - Sci-fi first person shooter or antisemitic terrorist cell gathering?

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
Sven seems like the only guy who likes PC in Capcom. Did you ask him what's up with almost 3 months of delay for a patch that a community member (Yeb) made even before it came out on console?

I only had a minute or two with him there was no time. I just expressed to him that I love pc releases and I know there's problems but plz keep working on it.

Dtoid article....oh man :( things are definitely not black and white here at all

Azure J

Yeah, they're both doing a good job of consolidating all that was there [with the first article leaning more towards baiting however], but this is a pretty big element that's getting lost in translation.

h3ro

I hope this doesn't turn into a "crap on Klepek" day. He's actually one of the few actual writers/journalists in the field. Does lots of research and puts together good articles for the most part.

I hate Phoenix
BestGameEvergif.gif

alstein

The comment sections on those articles are going to be a nightmare, if people don't know the FGC and the first thing they read about it is this, it's not going to leave a great impression.

Which is exactly what is deserved given what happened. Hopefully the black eye will help cause some change. That said, I don't think much is going to change.

I support Jared's efforts 100% here. I support folks like UltraDavid and his class act.

I'm angry about this stuff because I want the games to be open to everyone, people shouldn't have to go through a ton of crap just to play and compete. Also, one of the guys who taught me KOF, is gay, and has largely quit competitive gaming over this stuff. He can still kick my ass online easily though.

As for PC, I think fighters are going to have to move to the PC sooner or later, as middle-budget games become harder to make a profit on console. Fighting games are really in terms of budget/fandom, around the scope of TBS games like Civ, with smaller budget fighters being similar to smaller budget TBS's.

notworksafe

I hope this doesn't turn into a "crap on Klepek" day. He's actually one of the few actual writers/journalists in the field. Does lots of research and puts together good articles for the most part.

This isn't one of them.

Which is exactly what is deserved given what happened. Hopefully the black eye will help cause some change.

I support Jared's efforts 100% here.

All Jared wants is to get paid. The bigger and more clean FGs get means more people watching streams and ads to put money in his pocket. It's not like he's on this crusade with some righteous ideals.

We all (all of us that know how Aris is) know he isn't specifically saying sexual harassment is part of the community, but damn, what he said is directly saying that it is. To a person who doesn't know who he is, those quotes are saying that he thinks that sexual harassment is part of the community.

Stream transcript said:
Rea: “Yeah, rape that bitch!” Yeah, that’s totally acceptable! Really? Really? You’re going to tell me that’s acceptable?

Bakhtanians: Look, man. What is unacceptable about that? There’s nothing unacceptable about that. These are people, we’re in America, man, this isn’t North Korea. We can say what we want. People get emotional.

and

Stream transcript said:
Rea: Can I get my Street Fighter without sexual harassment?

Bakhtanians: You can’t. You can’t because they’re one and the same thing. This is a community that’s, you know, 15 or 20 years old, and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community.

are pretty upfront about it.

Point is, Aris should shut the hell up and not speak for the community. He's loud and he was heard, and really, you can't blame the journalists for writing their articles the way they did. This isn't an SRK or eventhubs article where the writers knows how Aris is.

tl;dr: JOURNALISM!!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
That Giant Bomb article BLOWS MY MIND. So many things not presented information wise, which seems to be on purpose. I'll not say anything, because I'd rather it come from the official source.

I generally like how passionate Klepek is for his reporting.

However, this article offends me. :(

Top Bottom