• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Assault Thread: Get Cross, taste Salt (SFxT Reality Show)

Nyoro SF

Competitive fighting gamer Aris Bakhtanians has prompted some ire with inflammatory comments he made during a recent episode of Capcom's "Cross Assault." "Cross Assault" is a promotional competitive web-TV series that pits a team of Tekken players against a team of Street Fighter players. On the show, Bakhtanians made remarks about the entrenched sexism in the fighting game scene, and how it was fine if things never changed.

Giant Bomb's Patrick Klepek has posted a thorough story on the matter. Included in the story is a transcript of Bakhtanians from one one of the episodes. His response when asked, "Can I get my Street Fighter without sexual harassment?":

You can't. You can't because they're one and the same thing. This is a community that's, you know, 15 or 20 years old, and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it's not the fighting game community—it's StarCraft. There's nothing wrong with StarCraft if you enjoy it, and there's nothing wrong with anything about eSports, but why would you want just one flavor of ice cream, you know? There's eSports for people who like eSports, and there's fighting games for people who like spicy food and like to have fun. There's no reason to turn them into the same thing, you know?

Later, when asked about whether shouting "Rape that bitch!" at a match is acceptable behavior, Bakhtanians replied, "Look, man. What is unacceptable about that? There's nothing unacceptable about that. These are people, we're in America, man, this isn't North Korea. We can say what we want. People get emotional."

The Giant Bomb story also shares some of the reactions and discussion generated during the program, including responses from one of one of the female competitors on the show, Miranda "Super_Yan" Pakozdi. Pakozdi voiced disappointment about the events of the day on Twitter, though she eventually deleted the tweets.

Capcom has apologized for Bakhtanians' comments in a statement to Giant Bomb, stating, "The views and opinions expressed by cast members in the live internet program 'Cross Assault' do not reflect those of Capcom. As a company, Capcom believes that everyone should be treated with respect. This particular issue was brought to our attention and has been addressed. We sincerely apologize to anyone that was offended by any comments expressed during the show."

Note: This story initially stated that Bakhtanians talked about the entrenched sexism and racism of the fighting-game scene, when he actually just equated the scene's sexism to racism more broadly. It has been updated.

If you wish to give Kotaku clicks, please click here.

Arozay

Pakozdi was visibly upset during the match before her forfeit, and barely attacked. The fight had been taken out of her.

I'd like to imagine a tear rolled down the writers cheek as he wrote this.

Kikujiro

Am I the only one pissing myself over the PA article?
The 'one guy shouted Bitch as a female player played and yelled about rape when she lost' statement is so wrong. It was directed at Phoenix in vanilla.

This is so bad. X Assault killed FGC

No, I'm mad right now. The article is so fucking wrong. This is why I hate so much this "you don't understand, you weren't here, we won't say anything else" attitude. Somebody from the community needs to respond to the P-A article because it's full of bullshit.

At the end of the day, what ever happened, happened, it's done. The conversation you all should be having (rather than furthering the drama) is how to be more inclusive and less abrasive to minorities in the community. And maybe those that want to keep it a hyper-masculine boys club need to be pushed out for the greater benefit. It's not just a problem in the FGC either, it's an all encompassing issue in gaming in general but it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge and dissect how it's damaging to your hobby/community specifically.

Whoever organized this, in the future, if you want to legitimize something, you screen who you're putting on the face of it better.

It's happening at a glacier's pace, but it's getting better.

At the end of the day, what ever happened, happened, it's done. The conversation you all should be having (rather than furthering the drama) is how to be more inclusive and less abrasive to minorities in the community. And maybe those that want to keep it a hyper-masculine boys club need to be pushed out for the greater benefit. It's not just a problem in the FGC either, it's an all encompassing issue in gaming in general but it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge and dissect how it's damaging to your hobby/community specifically.

Whoever organized this, in the future, if you want to legitimize something, you screen who you're putting on the face of it better.

I agree. However I believe a lot of the attitudes that need to be changed, such as
"Miranda should have done more to stop it" will only come with maturity. Since the fgc and gaming communities in general will always attract a new batch of young people keen to try their hand at the games, I believe the problem will always exist in some form. It's pretty much the same in any sport, no matter how professional. People make mistakes and learn, some people never really grow up.

sephi22

And this is acceptable behaviour?
Like, if you were sitting next to your mom/gf/sister, you'd just yell let's rape that bitch at phoenix too?
You fucking with me? Don't act like calling a female player a bitch and asking for her to get raped when she loses isn't way worse than calling Phoenix a bitch and saying rape her.

I'm not okay with inaccurate articles representing FGC members are persons asking for real females to get raped. And I'm not even part of the US FGC.

As for me, I wouldn't take my Mom to a FGC event. I wouldn't yell rape because that's not me, but would I yell 'bitch' at Phoenix? Totally. I hate vanilla Phoenix and I would let people know, doesn't matter if my GF/Sis is with me or not.

But it is not acceptable behaviour in general.
Is it acceptable to yell 'Kill that mofo' or 'Own that bastard' when someone's attacking Wesker? It is to me.

Sblargh

Banned
Even if the articles (save the Giant Bomb one that I think it is ok) are really really bad, I'm glad that, for once, the minority is the one being defended.

Jintor

Okay. Since this thread is so goddamn adamant that every article posted so far is an example of the worst kind of muck-raking click-baiting journalism, somebody tell me what actually happened.

obonicus

It's interesting seeing BurnYourBra's comments on thick skin:
Interview

BurnYourBra
Some of the messages were just simple “thank you for shining light on the subject.” Some were “you need to have thick skin in the community” in which I replied. “Well, how about you bring your mother, your daughter, your wife, or your girlfriend to a tournament, have someone call them a bitch or whatever derogatory word and you pat them on the back and tell them to have thick skin.” I have thick skin. That wasn’t my issue. It was just disrespect. And again, it’s not like this happens at every tournament I attend. So I think some people read the interview wrong and some people just don’t care, which is fine, I made my point. That’s all.

GabbyJay

Ben's Lens Ben's Lens Ben's Lens
200 pages on an internet show that has been on for 5 or 6 days?
How do you think Capcom feels right now, legitimately. This has been a really good way to show off the game, and I think all the dramaz ruined that.

sephi22

Burnyourbra looks really tough in Karaface's pictures.
But man she's awesome. She earned a fan. She sounds like a cool mom/teacher.

Even if the articles (save the Giant Bomb one that I think it is ok) are really really bad, I'm glad that, for once, the minority is the one being defended.

I agree and I'm glad it's out and hopefully the community matures because of this. I am just really bothered by some of these vultures especially that PA article that just don't even bother to get their facts straight and fish for hits. It was inevitable I guess. But that's a different issue all together.

Weird that she's talking about being tough when she doesn't like it herself, and wants to be respected as a person. What part of asking about bra size and thigh comments fits in with this?

I agree. However I believe a lot of the attitudes that need to be changed, such as
"Miranda should have done more to stop it" will only come with maturity. Since the fgc and gaming communities in general will always attract a new batch of young people keen to try their hand at the games, I believe the problem will always exist in some form. It's pretty much the same in any sport, no matter how professional. People make mistakes and learn, some people never really grow up.

But that's specifically why you need to prop up people who are more professional and tolerant of others, like say Valle versus throwing someone like Aris in there who was bound to stir the pot. At some point the immature drama turned into a real issue that highlighted the sexual harassment/sexism/racism that is turning many away from the hobby. If decent people stay quiet then all you're left with is hearing the loud putrid voices, and those people get mistaken for the majority. Don't like it? Speak up and tell the bigoted assholes to shut the fuck up lest they keep thinking that the FGC is a great place for them to be that way.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Respect for Sola x10

edit : Triforce comes across as a case for scientific study in lunacy.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
What a blow up, I wonder if backoff with the 500k.

Capcom is probably enjoying this publicity (even if it is negative) because it happens to be falling right before their game drops. They know everyone will have forgotten about this in 3 weeks, and by then, the game will already be out. :p

ALSO AN ASIDE: You the LHK from the DMC3 boards on Gamefaqs from way back?

Yeah, its the same dude! I get flashbacks to 2005 every time I see his name, and wonder what Ninja_99 is doing

I haven't been able to keep in touch with a lot of those guys. Hopefully their still around, showing off their elite! skillz.

Been thinking about doing some interesting media related stuff for DMC HD. Not sure though. Nothing on the scale of handvseye, but maybe something.

Toski

I keep hearing about getting rid of racism in the FGC, but I don't really see it and haven't heard anyone actually being discriminated against due to race.

Is there any examples that anyone can recall?

Top Bottom