• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

So I didn't see this anywhere, so I went ahead and made it myself. Someone had to eventually.

I was laughing so hard at this shit last night.
Between this and
that one room with the platforms lighting up in sync with the music,
I was freaking out after starting NG+.

Love this game. Glad I finally decided to get it.

Montresor

I just found the (very very very late game spoiler)
64-cube door. Where should I go after I get my 64th cube for the best ending? The old 32-cube door (for what I guess would be an alternate take on the old ending) or the new 64-cube door?

I just found the (very very very late game spoiler)
64-cube door. Where should I go after I get my 64th cube for the best ending? The old 32-cube door (for what I guess would be an alternate take on the old ending) or the new 64-cube door?

Do the
64-cube door
first.

Amir0x

Banned
Fuck me at the endings in this game. It's like mainlining psychadelic 8bit pixels directly into my eyelid or some shit. Definitely going to watch them again when trippin' balls someday. Anyway, finally all done... 32 cubes, 32 anti-cubes, 3 hearts, black monolith, all artifacts, all maps. The soundtrack in this game is one of the best of the generation, unforgettable.

anyone know how to get out the room I posted up there?

The one with the purple tetrimino code in the picture you posted is finished as such:

line up the blocks (they'll naturally slide into the purple lights) so that they correctly mimic the tetrimino shapes below from both angles. So, in other words, if the shape is like the sideways L tetrimino, the blocks must look like this while the camera is on the angle with that shape:

.........[ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

and then it would look like this from the other camera angle, and match the appropriate tetrimino in its perspective. So that when you shift the screen, it'll make this shape without you having to move any of the pieces you lined up above:

.....[ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

ShutEye

So I started playing last night. Found my first anti-cube today. Wow. Brilliant.

The game so far perfectly encapsulates that feeling I had as a kid when I'd face a puzzle in Zelda. Curiosity, wonder, a little frustration and then pure joy when you figure it out.

I am so happy.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I bought the game day 1 but decided to hold off on playing because of a few issues - have one question in prep for when I do:

I have controller vibration disabled in my profile settings, does FEZ override this for some of its puzzles?

RPS37

The one with the purple tetrimino code in the picture you posted is finished as such:

line up the blocks (they'll naturally slide into the purple lights) so that they correctly mimic the tetrimino shapes below from both angles. So, in other words, if the shape is like the sideways L tetrimino, the blocks must look like this while the camera is on the angle with that shape:

.........[ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

and then it would look like this from the other camera angle, and match the appropriate tetrimino in its perspective. So that when you shift the screen, it'll make this shape without you having to move any of the pieces you lined up above:

.....[ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

Thank you so much. I think I can do it now. :)

edit: COMPLETED

kylej

Banned
I bought the game day 1 but decided to hold off on playing because of a few issues - have one question in prep for when I do:

I have controller vibration disabled in my profile settings, does FEZ override this for some of its puzzles?

nope

bjork

I'm assuming someone
translated all the other-language talk. I'm interested to see what the city people were saying.
Is it compiled anywhere?

I did this as I was playing. It's
a handful of lines repeated by multiple people in that area. Things like "he wears the fez" "how did you get here" "nice to meet you" "what is wrong with your head", etc. Nothing especially useful, sadly.

Buggy Loop

It keeps crashing for me at a certain level. Unplayable. Japanese devs can sleep at night. I feel ripped off. Isn't there a minimum of testing to do before xbla release? It's only 1 platform to work on too ffs.

bjork

There's supposed to be a patch soon to address crashes and framerate issues. For me, I've noticed it lags considerably during a longer play session, but never to the point of being unplayable. It has also dumped straight to the dashboard a handful of times, but that's almost not bad at all since it autosaves so often.

Thankfully still haven't had an issue yet, one of the lucky ones.

Reached my first
vibration
puzzle a few nights ago. Mind was nicely blown.

Marco1

Renaud posted that the patch is done and gone to certification. Also asked for people to stop posting crashes and problems.

This game is disturbing. There are close to no obvious hint on what to do, and I don't even know if I have to collect the anticubes or not.

Strangest thing of all, I was in the throne room (where the inhabitants speak a foreign language) and I was trying to play with the camera to see what was written in front of the throne, and an anticube appeared outside of it o_O what ?

dLMN8R

Isn't that fairly good for an XBLA game? Minecraft is warping expectations lol.

Not really. You have multiple people working on a game for years, and they score up $1 million in revenue total? Then factor in Microsoft's take and whatever other costs, there's not much left over that makes up a great living wage spread out over those many years.

Really enjoying this game so far, but I'm pissed at myself for semi-accidentally spoiling a lot of the late-game puzzles (I was looking up one puzzle I was stuck on, and stumbled onto huge hints for the
alphabet, number system, and tetrominoes
). Thankfully the game is still surprising me with plenty of non-related puzzles, but I feel like I ruined a big chunk of the game due to my terrible lack of self-control.

pakkit

Banned
I just started New Game Plus. There's a patch on the way? Either way, bugs and all, this game is awesome in the truest sense of the word. I have an insane amount of respect towards Renaud's programming...the visual trickery he's been able to eke out of this engine is stunning. I was grinning ear to ear through most of it, and I haven't even started decoding the more strenuous puzzles.

Blah blah GOTY blah

This game is mind-blowing. Time passes so quickly while I'm playing it, and I feel more sucked into another world than any big budget game.

The atmosphere, use of colour and lighting, the music, everything. It constantly makes my hairs stand on end. Anyone looking at screens for this game would wonder what I'm going on about, but anyone who's actually played it will understand. It's just that... atmosphere.

Anyway, that aside, I do suck at this game. I keep getting lost. But it doesn't matter. I'm only at 42%. 12 cubes, 2 anti-cubes. But again, it doesn't matter. This game isn't for someone who wants to rush through something from start to finish. It's for someone who doesn't mind spending plenty of time winding down at the end of the day - it's relaxing but also highly taxing on the brain all at the same time. Taking your mind of the day's worries by keeping it active but also putting you in to a deeper state of relaxation with the atmosphere and incredible soundtrack and ambience.

Love it. I'll probably never complete it, at least not without a walkthrough. But love it.

LaneDS

100,000 copies.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/31/fez-sales-shift-100-000-copies-across-xbla/

Would sell a lot better if was in Steam and PSN.

I'd double dip for a Steam version if it fixed some of the issues the 360 one has, which is why it's sat waiting to be played properly for so long. While I'm not interested in rewarding buggy products, the game was cheap to begin with and I'd have paid a higher price for the unique aesthetic and experience this type of game offers (preemptively defending my double dip philosophy, ahem).

100K does seem pretty low though, and I wonder how many people steered clear because of earlier controversies and if that number is significant or not.

100K does seem pretty low though, and I wonder how many people steered clear because of earlier controversies and if that number is significant or not.

I think a lot of people will have been put off from quickly playing the trial and perhaps being confused, getting lost or baffled by the lack of enemies. This is the sort of game where you have to sink a good hour of your time in to the full game before it all comes together and gets its hooks in to you. People are impatient.

To be fair, I tried Minecraft for a few minutes, got bored and never went back. And that sold a million copies. But I love Fez. We're all different. 100k is still far too low for a game so majestic and magical as Fez though.

LaneDS

I think a lot of people will have been put off from quickly playing the trial and perhaps being confused, getting lost or baffled by the lack of enemies. This is the sort of game where you have to sink a good hour of your time in to the full game before it all comes together and gets its hooks in to you. People are impatient.

To be fair, I tried Minecraft for a few minutes, got bored and never went back. And that sold a million copies. But I love Fez. We're all different. 100k is still far too low for a game so majestic and magical as Fez though.

I think that kind of word of mouth would carry it pretty well on other platforms, so hopefully they're not contractually bound to stay XBLA forever or for too long.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I'll also argue that the XBLA boxart really doesn't indicate the lateral puzzle-based design of the game. It makes it look like a bog standard mascot platformer. Probably doesn't help the matter.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
grrr stuck on this stupid puzzle grrr man this frikken game lol!!

http://i.imgur.com/00jFk.jpg

stand on this platform, change perspective and

http://i.imgur.com/b8Pd5.jpg

see the code looks like
L L D D R R U U
but it jus does not work!!

I tried interpreting the code from all angles too, am I doing something wrong or is the view so bad that I'm not seeing the code right?!?!?!

Can't believe no one answered this after all this time, and I really hope you're aren't still stuck here, but I've always for myself draw them out on a piece of paper for myself, make sure to do that for yourself, all split up, so you know that you've written it right. I've never had any problem with any of these at all.

a lot of reviews and opinions of the game were really good but all mentioned the technical faults and issues. perhaps people are waiting to buy it until a patch?

I'll also argue that the XBLA boxart really doesn't indicate the lateral puzzle-based design of the game. It makes it look like a bog standard mascot platformer. Probably doesn't help the matter.

I really like the boxart, has an 80s C64 tape cover vibe to it.

kylej

Banned
I wish Phil Fish would sell some artwork or merchandise or something. I'd like to show some more monetary support for the dude, I respect Fez a lot.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So we're still waiting on a patch? Sounds like the first submission was rejected?

I have to admit, after such a long time in development, I'm highly disappointed that the game released with so many technical/performance problems. For such a small team, it's not all that unexpected, but man, they were SO close. The constant hitching, skipping, and glitching that occurs really kills the feel of the experience. The best platformers all delivered a completely smooth 60 fps and they just couldn't hit it with Fez. :(

I've put off finishing the game as a result of this. If the patch solves these problems I'm just going to start from the beginning.

OK so just completed.. well as in "100%" on the leaderboards and
32 cubes
so time to do New Game + !

All I can say is, I really don't want to spoil the ending. But it is the most beautiful and satisfying ending of any game I think I have ever played in my life. Which is a perfect ending to such a truly beautiful and fun game.

The experience of Fez constantly made my hairs stand on end. The amount of surprises in the game, the satisfaction of working out a puzzle on your own that seemed impossible at first, the incredible soundtrack and the variety of the environments and their colour. Some great platforming moments too. Not to mention how huge the game is, really took me by surprise.

There's no doubt about the incredible amount of work, time, and effort and LOVE that was put in to making this game and I want to thank Phil Fish, Disasterpeace and everyone involved for some of the happiest gaming moments in my entire gaming history - and I've been gaming since the Commodore 64. This game proves that you can bring art and emotion whilst also providing a proper gameplay experience.

Now then, just a spoiler-ish question...
Do I get a different ending if I do New Game + and find all 64 cubes
?

painey

bought this last night (downloaded the demo when i saw it was on sale but didn't get to play it in time) and it's amazing. I fucking love it, even though I have no idea how to get back to places I want to go half the time

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
bought this last night (downloaded the demo when i saw it was on sale but didn't get to play it in time) and it's amazing. I fucking love it, even though I have no idea how to get back to places I want to go half the time

You will eventually :) notice that when you go through most doors you can see the next environment in the background. Then check out the map. Notice how each side of the 'cube' you're in has different rooms branching from it - that's not arbitrary, those directions relate to the directions you face in the world.

At first I found it super confusing but it's actually quite elegant. There are about 4 'worlds', each attached to a main spine. Each world has a bunch of paths coming from it and when you reach the end of a path it sends you back to the world's hub. Most world hubs have a big cube door at the top that you can use to warp to the other worlds. Once I realised the structure of the game I started to have a lot more fun with it.

mclem

Just started playing this -
Okay, I've completed it to 100%, but I think it's still fair to say I've only just started playing it!

I was just about to ask a question about the
observatory puzzle
, but as I started typing it I had a flash of inspiration which I'll try out tonight.

In the meantime, some other queries:

I've heard lots of talk of bugs, but not a lot of detail about what the bugs *are*. Is there something I should do to avoid them? Can people reassure me that none of the bugs specifically impact *puzzles*?
Once or twice I believe I've understood what a puzzle is expecting of me but it didn't seem to register as a solution, and with the talk of bugs I can't help but wonder if there's an issue at the detection level, or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Can you leave the stargate room backwards after entering it? I entered the door accidentally on New Game + and had to 'finish' the game again before I could get back to exploring.

I was just about to ask a question about the
observatory puzzle
, but as I started typing it I had a flash of inspiration which I'll try out tonight.

Man I loved this. I'll never forget the week I spent with this game. What would I give to experience it all again. The charm of this game is hard to explain to people but it's just that good. At least for me.

And yeah the game is full of bugs. But they tend to change from person to person so it's hard to say anything specific. Besides one room where the game booted to the dashboard I didn't experience much. And yes you can't back out of the stargate room. But it doesn't affect anything, just have to sit trough the ending again.

Top Bottom