• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Pro Wrestling (PS2 classic) coming to US PSN next week

mooooose

So we have God Hand and Fire Pro now.

*throws out ps2 and lights it on fire and smokes the ashes and plays ps3*

creid

I tried playing this disc on my PS3 years ago and it looked really blurry, like the emulation wasn't working properly. Did they ever fix this?

Thats incredible.

God, I wish there was a Fire Pro Wrestling game on Vita.. with online play. That would be amazing.

I've heard nothing but good things about this game. Maybe I'll finally try it. What's so good about it?

Everything. And I'm not even into wrestling. I love the detail, atmosphere, 2D, animations, timing based gameplay, exhibition matches, ...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
OH GOD YES.

Is there a way to convert PS2 memory card saves to the format used by the PS3? I want to get this, but only if I can get my original PS2 saves onto my PS3 (my PS2 is modded, so pulling them off of the memory card is no issue).

Ondore

OH GOD YES.

Is there a way to convert PS2 memory card saves to the format used by the PS3? I want to get this, but only if I can get my original PS2 saves onto my PS3 (my PS2 is modded, so pulling them off of the memory card is no issue).

This. Oh god, this.

Into

OMFG

One of the best wrestling games ever made! I hope we can exchange saves somehow so i can download some phat saves from fireproclub

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also I'm sure it'll probably never happen due to licensing issues, but they really need to get King of Colosseum II up on JPSN.

Dragon

Banned
OH GOD YES.

I still have that memory card reader where you can copy your saves to the PS3 from the PS2/PS1 memory cards. If this ends up working I can always send it to people that need it, I certainly don't anymore.

Is there going to be an online manual available for Fire Pro?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found one online.

EDIT 2: Jesus, are these instructions for a wrestling game or a flight simulator?

I bought this a long time ago and gave up on it because of the controls. Maybe I'll give it another shot. How do you even grapple?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so I did some research, and PS2 saves don't work by default with PS2 Classics on a PS3. But there is a way to make them work. It doesn't require a jailbroken PS3 or anything. Just your standard PS2 saves and a PC program:

http://www.dashhacks.com/ps3/ps3-ha...ics’-memory-card-converter-v20-by-spewfr.html

(This is extremely important for Fire Pro Returns, as half the fun of the game is downloading various saves with custom made characters, etc.)

Into

Its timing based, meaning as soon as 2 wrestlers "lock up", meaning as soon as you see your wrestler touch the other guys shoulders in the lock up animation, you press up, left, right or down on the dpad and the weak grapple button.

As the match goes on you upgrade to the medium grapple instead and eventually heavy etc. You want to wear out your opponent. As the match goes on and your stamina goes down, the timing changes, meaning you have to adapt constantly

It is essential that you do not spam, as that will always result in getting your ass beat, the game basically detects if you are mashing. Just press up+weak grapple once as soon as they lock up and hope you were faster, not 2 times or more.

Strikes wear your opponent down, and if you hold Select you get to regain some of your stamina.

There is a ton more to the game, but those are just the basics, timing is key, mashing buttons even more than once is insta loss

nikos

Thats incredible.

God, I wish there was a Fire Pro Wrestling game on Vita.. with online play. That would be amazing.

Everything. And I'm not even into wrestling. I love the detail, atmosphere, 2D, animations, timing based gameplay, exhibition matches, ...

Agree with everything in this post. Used to be in to wrestling when I was a kid, but not anymore. Would definitely still buy a new FPW with online play on the Vita or PS3.

Into

How many players for local multiplayer?

Is the enemy AI competent after you learn the controls?

Absolutely, A.I at 10 will always give you 20-30 min matches that are back and forth, their timing is top notch with grapples and they will always string together a good couple of moves. They will also replenish their stamina when they have the chance.

On 1-3 A.I if you just understand the timing based grappling you should do well enough as the A.I is not too fast here.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Okay, so I did some research, and PS2 saves don't work by default on PS2 Classics on a PS3. But there is a way to make them work. It doesn't require a jailbroken PS3 or anything. Just your standard PS2 saves and a PC program:

http://www.dashhacks.com/ps3/ps3-ha...ics’-memory-card-converter-v20-by-spewfr.html

(This is extremely important for Fire Pro Returns, as half the fun of the game is downloading various saves with custom made characters, etc.)

not sure about PS2 classics. PS2 games on launch PS3s, you could use a memory card reader that could read PS1 and PS2 cards. You would use the memory card utility in the XMB to transfer the saves over. I know my Slim still has the memory card utility but I haven't done anything with classics on it.

I just grabbed Vice City this week, but may go back to my FAT to play it anyway, as apparently you can't get DTS out of PS2 games on the slim, but supposedly DTS works for PS2 games on the fat.. hopefully that means PS2 Classics titles as well.

edit - you had to buy the memory card reader separately.. I guarantee gamestop has plenty in stock used..

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
not sure about PS2 classics. PS2 games on launch PS3s, you could use a memory card reader that could read PS1 and PS2 cards. You would use the memory card utility in the XMB to transfer the saves over. I know my Slim still has the memory card utility but I haven't done anything with classics on it.

I just grabbed Vice City this week, but may go back to my FAT to play it anyway, as apparently you can't get DTS out of PS2 games on the slim, but supposedly DTS works for PS2 games on the fat.. hopefully that means PS2 Classics titles as well.

PS2 Classics use a different save format than standard PS2 games. Hence the need for that converter I posted the link to.

TreIII

YES!

If I can't get a new Fire Pro game, at least a port on a console of mine that's still hooked up is a worthy substitute!

Still think that Spike should at least revive King of Colosseum, if sticking with 3D would be more of an expectation for today's market.

0xCA2

WHAT.

I always felt that, in hindsight, FP Returns would've been great for a Steam/PSN/XBLA type market. Too bad it didn't exist when it released ( it bombed ). Hopefully this does well, so they will be spurred to make new ones of this style.

Bog

Junior Ace
I'd definitely rebuy for Vita to have this on the go. Played the hell out of the GBA games (and of course the Saturn and DC games).

Selkies!

I know there was a way to download ps2 saves for ps3 if you were using one of the old PS3s with backwards compatibility. Wonder if this works with PS2 classics. I love returns but I never got around to figuring out a way of getting custom saves. If there is an easy way to do this I'll buy it for the third time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I know there was a way to download ps2 saves for ps3 if you were using one of the old PS3s with backwards compatibility. Wonder if this works with PS2 classics. I love returns but I never got around to figuring out a way of getting custom saves. If there is an easy way to do this I'll buy it for the third time.

See this:

Okay, so I did some research, and PS2 saves don't work by default on PS2 Classics on a PS3. But there is a way to make them work. It doesn't require a jailbroken PS3 or anything. Just your standard PS2 saves and a PC program:

If we're talking about downloading saves (instead of importing them from your own memory cards), it should be the same method, but I think you'd have to use PS2 Save Converter to export the downloaded save to RAW format. When the game comes out I could help anyone who is having trouble figuring it out. I've done my fair share of messing around with PS2 saves, so I've got some experience here. Heh.

Squoig

Banned
I never understood why Microsoft didn't release an HD version of this game instead of the craptacular avatar Fire Pro.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WHAT.

I always felt that, in hindsight, FP Returns would've been great for a Steam/PSN/XBLA type market. Too bad it didn't exist when it released ( it bombed ). Hopefully this does well, so they will be spurred to make new ones of this style.

Another "no one wants to take the time to remake this in HD!" style game :(

I always find it sad that there are so many old games that had hard-to-utilize multiplayer, due to need of multitaps, local friends, and controllers, that would be perfect for online multiplayer... yet they never get made, and the same FPS's get remade over and over... And the few we do get (Bomberman!) are never as good as the old version (Saturn Bomberman!)...

I hunted down FPRR for a self Christmas gift a few years back... I might have to rebuy this. Making every Fighting game Grappler in intricate style over again is always fun! (And time consuming...)

manfestival

I bought a copy years ago when they first brought it here for the ps2 cause of all the hype and I was completely let down. Maybe I just was not getting it but I somewhat want to give this another shot but im totally cautious on dipping in on it again

Still cant believe we got no fire pro on DS/PSP or 3DS/Vita.

No new Japanese Wrestling games for years now.

real shame.. :(

I have not got a PS3 so no fire pro for me...

Recall

The PS2 version isn't a classic, it only exists to make up for the, clusterfuck known as Fire Pro Z. The AI isn't know where near as good as Fire Pro A or D but it is up there as some of the best.

Obviously edit mode is where it shines. I made plenty of PAL file saves full of upto date rosters and edits, I believe all of them are still online at FPC. The good old days.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The PS2 version isn't a classic, it only exists to make up for the, clusterfuck known as Fire Pro Z. The AI isn't know where near as good as Fire Pro A or D but it is up there as some of the best.

Obviously edit mode is where it shines.

"PS2 Classics" are what the re-releases of PS2 games on PSN are called.

Obviously edit mode is where it shines.

Yeah I still think Fire Pro D is the best ever version. Although Z came with that history book which is great.

Fire Pro D with 4 VMU units = so many edit packs.. :)

Plus D had a proper go for the title mode. You had the single belts and tag belts to go for in all them promotions.

I never understood why spike dropped that in Z and FPR.

Def Jukie

What are the best Fire Pro games anyhow? I've never played any but have always wanted to. Thinking about picking one up for the Super Famicom.

Fire Pro Wrestling!

How can I buy it and play it with my EU PS3?

I have my Dreamcast FPW D, but not enough space to keep Dreamcast on my shelf.

Recall

What are the best Fire Pro games anyhow? I've never played any but have always wanted to. Thinking about picking one up for the Super Famicom.

Fire Pro Wrestling D for the Sega Dreamcast is the best Fire Pro game, it has the modes, the best AI and the insane edit feature.

Fire Pro Wrestling A for the Gameboy Advance is the one which rivals D the most in terms of quality in my opinion.

Recall

I'm assuming the chances that this would appear on the US PSN store (in English) are roughly zero?

The thread title indicates its the US version thus everything is in English. There are a few mistranslations but everything is in English :)

Ah, shit sorry for double post

Top Bottom